**Live game thread**

Russell

Re: **Live game thread**

Post by Russell » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:37 am

momo&medo wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:59 am
turnstyle wrote:
Sun 11 Jun, 2017 8:34 pm
I've suffered through many a poor showing - I'm a tigers supporter after all! - but for some reason today just really got to me.
First time I can ever remember I just stopped watching and put a movie on about the hour mark.
Currently it is just really not enjoyable. With Woods and Tedesco...I wish they were gone.
Yeah I agree 100%
I just don't watch anymore.
I really think Cleary should just give this year away and experiment.
I know that he has very little talent in lower grades to work with .... but you never know a gem may emerge .
Marsters, Suli, Lolo, Liddell and Felise may struggle at present but at least they are picking up valuable experience.
I would still have a shot at TMM before 30/6 ..... he would add a lot at 5/8. Logo to wing or centre or to fullback with Teddy to centre.
If you did watch (you say you don't) you wouldn't suggest a ridiculous scenario like the last paragraph! Lol

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:46 am

Earl wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:36 am
We are in a really bad situation now but I think a lot of it comes back to decisions when Taylor was here. I don't think they were management decisions. Prior to that to be fair to Taylor there were a lot of poor decisions that I assume were management decisions.

Paying Robbie overs was always dumb. Getting rid of him was an even worse decision. Letting go of a heap of players like Taupau, Siro, JAC and Austin to placate the big 4 was a terrible long term decision. To be fair to Taylor he went for the low percentage play in relation to retaining the big 4 and thought they would turn into our saviours and I suppose other commentators/coaches may have done the same thing.

I don't think that you can blame management. That is basically a nameless entity which makes it easy to make broad generalised statements which are basically meaningless.

Cap management has been our biggest problem but coaches make those decisions. The management support them or don't support them. The only time I remember management not supporting the coach was when Potter didn't want Robbie retained on a long term contract. That was clearly a dud management decision.
I think that you may find in the long run that you are incorrect.

Possibly we will never know (I maybe wrong as well) but I do not think that JT could have gotten rid of Farah without Board/Management approval (did they suggest it to him or did he suggest it to them?)

Likewise I would sense that the Board/Management would have said it is imperative that we retain the "Big 4" - you must have them in every team you select and don't do anything to rack them off - we will give them to forever to sign, have you got that JT?

And you will be be the fall guy if anything goes wrong.

Earl

Post by Earl » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:55 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:46 am
Earl wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:36 am
We are in a really bad situation now but I think a lot of it comes back to decisions when Taylor was here. I don't think they were management decisions. Prior to that to be fair to Taylor there were a lot of poor decisions that I assume were management decisions.

Paying Robbie overs was always dumb. Getting rid of him was an even worse decision. Letting go of a heap of players like Taupau, Siro, JAC and Austin to placate the big 4 was a terrible long term decision. To be fair to Taylor he went for the low percentage play in relation to retaining the big 4 and thought they would turn into our saviours and I suppose other commentators/coaches may have done the same thing.

I don't think that you can blame management. That is basically a nameless entity which makes it easy to make broad generalised statements which are basically meaningless.

Cap management has been our biggest problem but coaches make those decisions. The management support them or don't support them. The only time I remember management not supporting the coach was when Potter didn't want Robbie retained on a long term contract. That was clearly a dud management decision.
I think that you may find in the long run that you are incorrect.

Possibly we will never know (I maybe wrong as well) but I do not think that JT could have gotten rid of Farah without Board/Management approval (did they suggest it to him or did he suggest it to them?)

Likewise I would sense that the Board/Management would have said it is imperative that we retain the "Big 4" - you must have them in every team you select and don't do anything to rack them off - we will give them to forever to sign, have you got that JT?

And you will be be the fall guy if anything goes wrong.
This is an example to me of why I think it's a rough call to blame management. Is there any proof of any of this happening ? I don't think that there is. It's easy to blame management rather than blame JT and it's easy to stomach as well. We are so bad because we are incompetently managed rather than JT just stuffed up.

I think JT pushed to get rid of Robbie and management backed him because they figured it was up to JT to win games and if he failed he was gone. I think management wanted to retain the big 4 but at the same time had some sort of a limit on what they would pay. I think recruitment and retention has changed a bit recently and this is an example. I think recently the club has decided cap management is a key component of long term success.

The biggest mistake this club has made recently was betting on the big 4 of which the only really good player is Tedesco and he is hot and cold for us. I'm starting to think the amount that we had to pay him to retain him wasn't worth it.

I don't think we can continue to blame management going forward apart from the dumb things they have stated. The club shouldn't state we have a 5 year plan to win the comp. I think now we have Cleary and the club going out and recruiting players and it looks a lot better. If we fail next season then we need to go through the process again. We can't rely on young juniors that may turn into quality players at some point.

Club Sandwich

Post by Club Sandwich » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:47 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 10:18 am
TigerWoods wrote:
Sun 11 Jun, 2017 6:13 pm
Joelcainenumber1fan wrote:
Sun 11 Jun, 2017 6:07 pm
Dingo wrote:
Sun 11 Jun, 2017 5:49 pm

yep, this was his team. he created it. 2 years to create this rabble for his 3rd, unbelievable
didnt we almost make the finals last year with jt as coach and probley would of if if some games went our way
yeh he started the year of bad but he wasnt never given a chance to turn it around

cleary got lucky he fell into a team he could completely rebuild something jt was never able too do
Is that JTs mother on the computer again? JT wasn't given a chance to turn it around and Cleary got lucky? Jeez you don't have a freaking clue mate. Why don't you leave the adult conversations to the adults.
Are you serious? How about you put aside the vandetta for JT for just a second and read what he is saying. JT never had the cash to rub two sticks together. Cleary came in with the entire cap to play with from next year on. And given that Cleary is currently getting no more out of these players than Taylor did, it's being shown the real problem has been our roster and cap management. If we had no cap space from next year, would you be expecting miracles from Cleary? I mean, you've already started questioning him yourself. Anyone who can't see and acknowledge that are the ones who need to get a freaking clue.
If you're seriously saying that JT's coaching is even in the same ballpark as Cleary's you are a delusional muppet.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:55 pm

TigerWoods wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:47 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
TigerWoods wrote:
Joelcainenumber1fan wrote:
Sun 11 Jun, 2017 6:07 pm

didnt we almost make the finals last year with jt as coach and probley would of if if some games went our way
yeh he started the year of bad but he wasnt never given a chance to turn it around

cleary got lucky he fell into a team he could completely rebuild something jt was never able too do
Is that JTs mother on the computer again? JT wasn't given a chance to turn it around and Cleary got lucky? Jeez you don't have a freaking clue mate. Why don't you leave the adult conversations to the adults.
Are you serious? How about you put aside the vandetta for JT for just a second and read what he is saying. JT never had the cash to rub two sticks together. Cleary came in with the entire cap to play with from next year on. And given that Cleary is currently getting no more out of these players than Taylor did, it's being shown the real problem has been our roster and cap management. If we had no cap space from next year, would you be expecting miracles from Cleary? I mean, you've already started questioning him yourself. Anyone who can't see and acknowledge that are the ones who need to get a freaking clue.
If you're seriously saying that JT's coaching is even in the same ballpark as Cleary's you are a delusional muppet.
Cleary isn't doing any better of a job with the exact same roster. Its not about the coaching, its the fact the roster is mud. The only difference is that JT copped the brunt of our cap problems and never had a chance to operate with a full cap. Cleary does and will no doubt come out smelling like roses, and good luck to him. But there will be a lot of revisionists who will refuse to acknowledge the roadblocks Taylor had to deal with.

Club Sandwich

Post by Club Sandwich » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 1:04 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:55 pm
TigerWoods wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
TigerWoods wrote:

Cleary isn't doing any better of a job with the exact same roster. Its not about the coaching, its the fact the roster is mud. The only difference is that JT copped the brunt of our cap problems and never had a chance to operate with a full cap. Cleary does and will no doubt come out smelling like roses, and good luck to him. But there will be a lot of revisionists who will refuse to acknowledge the roadblocks Taylor had to deal with.
We're going to have to agree to disagree here mate. Have you forgotten Rankin playing on the wing ahead of JAC, Lovett in the centres, the boring mediocrity of Taylorball etc etc. It goes on and on. Who knows, Cleary may make the same mistakes and end up worse than JT. But for now it's like comparing Vegemite and Promite.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

Post by 851 » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 1:35 pm

TigerWoods wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 1:04 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 12:55 pm
TigerWoods wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

We're going to have to agree to disagree here mate. Have you forgotten Rankin playing on the wing ahead of JAC, Lovett in the centres, the boring mediocrity of Taylorball etc etc. It goes on and on. Who knows, Cleary may make the same mistakes and end up worse than JT. But for now it's like comparing Vegemite and Promite.
Plus getting rid of Brown, Farah and Siro and we paid for them to play against us, those players would be a huge upgrade on what we are trotting out now. No club should be paying 1 million of their cap on players playing for other teams, our cap was in a poor state, JT made it a whole lot worse. Cleary doesn't have those players to call on as he would normally have had if JT never sent them packing
Go hard or go home

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 1:42 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 11:37 am
momo&medo wrote:
Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:59 am
turnstyle wrote:
Sun 11 Jun, 2017 8:34 pm
I've suffered through many a poor showing - I'm a tigers supporter after all! - but for some reason today just really got to me.
First time I can ever remember I just stopped watching and put a movie on about the hour mark.
Currently it is just really not enjoyable. With Woods and Tedesco...I wish they were gone.
Yeah I agree 100%
I just don't watch anymore.
I really think Cleary should just give this year away and experiment.
I know that he has very little talent in lower grades to work with .... but you never know a gem may emerge .
Marsters, Suli, Lolo, Liddell and Felise may struggle at present but at least they are picking up valuable experience.
I would still have a shot at TMM before 30/6 ..... he would add a lot at 5/8. Logo to wing or centre or to fullback with Teddy to centre.
If you did watch (you say you don't) you wouldn't suggest a ridiculous scenario like the last paragraph! Lol
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Even your "ridiculous" LOL ...... booooring