Hot off the press...

cktiger

Re: Hot off the press...

Post by cktiger » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 10:33 am

Yes, our pack isn't much chop.... but let's be honest - he was hopeless.
I have really been hoping his game will kick in to the point where he can play consistently to first grade standard but it just isn't happening.
He talked pre game of making it 'his team'.
It's not wonder he jumped on the bus so quick as I don't see any other team would want him at this point.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 11:41 am

TIGER wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Why do people continually blame forwards for Brooks inability to finish our set with a decent kick?

I'm not expecting Brooks to run riot in attack playing behind our current pack, but I am expecting him to do one job and that is finish our set with a decent kick.
I don't care if he doesn't touch the ball until the last tackle as long as he has steered the team to a position on the field where he can position himself to get a good kick away then execute that kick.
Did I see Lovett kicking at one stage?
It's not good enough!!!
Next year I'd play Reynolds and Lolohea in the halves, Kevie at fullback.
I'd give Reynolds the kicking duties and Brooks can go and work on his game management in Reggie's.
Thurston would be hopeless playing behind our pack of forwards - in fact he is playing behind four forwards as you wouldn't count Lovett and Sue as forwards bootlaces. With no go forward and if the other team has any line speed (and all the good teams do) that leaves Brooks with about a milli second to make his kicks (and I do agree that most of the kicks are crap) but there is a reason and not an excuse.

It would be a clever thing to do to rate Brooks behind a good set of forwards and a decent 5/8 with him (which he will have next year) rather than playing with what he has now.

Neither Lolohea nor Reynolds are half backs (they are both 5/8's) puts us behind the eight ball to start with and let's play Kev (really like his efforts myself) at FB after one decent game there. Overreaction I think. Thank God you are not picking the team for 2018.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:07 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 11:41 am
TIGER wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Why do people continually blame forwards for Brooks inability to finish our set with a decent kick?

I'm not expecting Brooks to run riot in attack playing behind our current pack, but I am expecting him to do one job and that is finish our set with a decent kick.
I don't care if he doesn't touch the ball until the last tackle as long as he has steered the team to a position on the field where he can position himself to get a good kick away then execute that kick.
Did I see Lovett kicking at one stage?
It's not good enough!!!
Next year I'd play Reynolds and Lolohea in the halves, Kevie at fullback.
I'd give Reynolds the kicking duties and Brooks can go and work on his game management in Reggie's.
Thurston would be hopeless playing behind our pack of forwards - in fact he is playing behind four forwards as you wouldn't count Lovett and Sue as forwards bootlaces. With no go forward and if the other team has any line speed (and all the good teams do) that leaves Brooks with about a milli second to make his kicks (and I do agree that most of the kicks are crap) but there is a reason and not an excuse.

It would be a clever thing to do to rate Brooks behind a good set of forwards and a decent 5/8 with him (which he will have next year) rather than playing with what he has now.

Neither Lolohea nor Reynolds are half backs (they are both 5/8's) puts us behind the eight ball to start with and let's play Kev (really like his efforts myself) at FB after one decent game there. Overreaction I think. Thank God you are not picking the team for 2018.
Granted he may have an ordinary pack to work behind,but he did have his mate Moses along side of him that he had when they both killed it in NYC,THEY BOTH DONT APPEAR TO CUT IT AT NRL LEVEL..
Moses is gone, now we need to find another excuse for Brooks,bad pack,injured,no decent playmaker with him etc,etc..he must start producing for the rest of this year and early next year or he should be gone as well.These young guys need someone to lead them around the park,Brooks is supposed to own this team and lead them,if he cant ....move on to the next in line....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:16 pm

Brooks needs to pull his finger out...he's running out of time and we're running outta patience. He's still like a kid out there... Man up son!

LeichhardtTiger

Post by LeichhardtTiger » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:38 pm

Why is anyone surprised by Brooks? He would have to be the dumbest, most inarticulate NRL player of all time. Seriously, I suspect that the poor guy has a learning disability and can't understand the Coach's instructions. OK in juniors cos you just hog the ball and run fast. I hope I get to eat my words (Pun intended)
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that live in Balmain and those that wished they did.

Tigrr

Post by Tigrr » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 1:37 pm

Brooks was really pressured on the 5th tackle kicks but the good sides like cronulla will always do that . He probably needs to position himself better. He has the speed and skills to be a good player but not sure about the mindset. Reynolds do or die attitude might just get him there. Big Bwaith was a poor mentor of course,

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 1:41 pm

His long kicking game was superb, but the less said about the short kicks the better. His kick over the sideline in the 76th or 77th minute should really have sealed the game.
Too many hero kicks across the board tonight though, Lolohea had some head-scratchers that were made to look pretty good in the end.
I'm more concerned by decision making in attack on the edges. We hit Lovett when it should be out to Kev/Suli and vice versa. Suli is a tank but sees no ball outside of hit ups off the back of kicks. Marsters was criminally underused tonight as well, definite mismatch on his edge.

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 1:56 pm

Im giving Brooks the benefit of the doubt,

He has been playingbthe last 2 years behind a garbage forward pack, a genuine imbecile as his halves partner, no senior players or playmekrs to show him the ropes of organisation, battling against the will of Farah, and against the lack of will by some others that should help, and evryone is expecting him to be Cronk or Thurston.

Next season, with some forwards, and an experienced origin half and international kiwi with you, i expect bigger things. There will be no excuses then.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 2:00 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:16 pm
Brooks needs to pull his finger out...he's running out of time and we're running outta patience. He's still like a kid out there... Man up son!
Hope Tyson Gamble puts pressure on Brooks for his spot next season.
The star of the team is the team.

Russta

Post by Russta » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 3:24 pm

LeichhardtTiger wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:38 pm
Why is anyone surprised by Brooks? He would have to be the dumbest, most inarticulate NRL player of all time. Seriously, I suspect that the poor guy has a learning disability and can't understand the Coach's instructions. OK in juniors cos you just hog the ball and run fast. I hope I get to eat my words (Pun intended)
That is a big call. Have you seen Joey Leilua. He is mentally underdone. I doubt he could count to Potato. :lol:

Pragmatist

Post by Pragmatist » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 3:54 pm

It will be important Brooks plays out the rest of the season without injury. A good off season under Ivan then 2018 with a forward pack that should deliver better field position. Brooks has all the qualities good 7s need.
Have a look at where most of the top line 7s were at the same age as Brooks is. It is the most skillled based position on the field and a strong forward pack is a needed which he will have in 2018 plus a 6 who will carry plenty of the load

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 5:03 pm

there can't be an excuse for some of his kicks. He barely touches the ball in 5 tackles when we are hitting it out of our own half and then when he gets the ball, he has the worst kick.

and his short kicking was horrible yesterday too.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 7:24 am

After being disappointed by Luke's performance last week regarding the one dimensional last tackle play,I will give him the opportunity to make amends to his game since he has had all week to train with the team and get used to Tui being his partner,it's not easy to chop and change halves partners and then be out injured,then come back and play brilliantly...Luke has the perfect opportunity this week to show his leadership and skills with this young team,he has to really play a controlled playmakers game and give the team good scoring options and positional plays..hopefully he can show us his real skills and ability to run this team...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D