Well done boys

Poppa

Re: Well done boys

Unread post by Poppa » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 7:39 pm

We had them but just couldn't hold off the charge in the last 7 minutes. Still a lot of positive stuff can come out of this. Yes well done WT..

:sign: :supporter:
Cheers Poppa

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 7:46 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm
All these players need to forget the excuses: forget the big 4, forget the coaching changes, forget what someone else said, forget the TimSim incident and just move on and do their jobs.

Idk how you can possibly say that it was a good effort when they're doing one out hits. Sue, Lovett, Ava, Grant, the centres they all need to support the ball carrier.

Every forward touches the ball maybe 20 times in the game, a lot of the work is done off the ball like running decoys, tackling, cover tackles, kick pressure, kick chase, protecting your half when he kicks etc. and that's not happening

You dont need rep players to do that. You just need a heart and a brain.
It was mind numbingly boring, one out one out no offloads no support no decoys, no questions to the defence...it wasnt NRL standard...it wasnt reserve standard :deadhorse:

1/4 chicken,chips
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 7:58 pm

A lot will change next year because most of the squad will be nrl standard ..truth be known the sharks made 11 line breaks and should won easily .but we were in it with 5 to go but could t close the game .two pitiful miracles balls on early tackles ...and please get rid of Kev m and Lovett ...Lovett was put through the hole many times but isn't good enough to make the best of it .we are now running last and people think they did well ...

basketcase
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by basketcase » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:07 pm

you can't give what you haven't got
These boys gave what they have got in spades
Frankly it must be tough yakka when your own 'supporters' are giving it to you

upthetigers
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by upthetigers » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:11 pm

Talk about accepting mediocrity. It's not good enough.

tigerfanatic
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tigerfanatic » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:54 pm

upthetigers wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 8:11 pm
Talk about accepting mediocrity. It's not good enough.
I think the fact we didnt get blown away buy 50points is what everyone is happy about. We obviously dont have the squad to put teams to bed. Only a handful of players are 1st grade quality.. i will not accept mediocrity however unfortunately thats all we can expect till the end of the season the boys had a dig and thats all you can ask for i guess.

1/4 chicken,chips
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by 1/4 chicken,chips » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 9:13 pm

Cronulla didn't play well

Newtown
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Newtown » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 9:35 pm

The boys did give it their best shot last night. Take what you learnt from the defeat and you will become better for the experience.

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 9:53 pm

I thought the boys played well in patches. We had players out of position and three new guys in the back line they played well and were in that game all the way to the end.

Eisenhuth had a great game as did Masters I hope both retain their spots next game others.

jirskyr
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 10:45 pm

I was super disappointed last night, how could you not be? The hardest part was the team really did try hard, we made really good yards all through the game, we fought to keep our lead when Cronulla struck back, we scrambled well and the back 3 made good yards.

But some fundamental errors and the Sharks are good enough to win. So it's really disappointing to see a team try so hard, even manage the stupid things like Ava 10 in the bin, only for some late-game mistakes to lose it.

The one upside I will take out is how inexperienced the team really is. Sharks weren't particularly good and yes they were short some real top-tier talent due to Origin, but they still had a fairly experienced side out there.

Games played:
Naiqama 83
Nofo 76
Marsters 2
Suli 13
MWZ 3
Lolo 55
Brooks 73
Grant 176
MMc 42
Ava 99 (at the time of the match)
Lovett 47
Sue 91
ET 133
MCK 23
Eisenhuth 1
Felise 11
Liddle 10
=939 games

Only 2 players over 100 games, but more strikingly, 7 players on the field yesterday played less than 25 games. 3 players had played 3 or less FG games.

Luke Lewis, Heighno and Gallen between them have played 896 games, almost the experience of our entire lineup.

tig_prmz
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Sun 18 Jun, 2017 11:35 pm

It's got nothing to do with inexperience or skillset from where I can see jirskyr.

This was back to the good ol' days of Taylorball tbh. But at the end of Taylorball you had a bomb, most of Brooks' kicks were horribble. I saw all 4 games this week and tbh Brooks was one of the worst of the 16 halves and we had the worst 6th tackle kicks

Now the 5 tackles beforehand, any reserve grader or an U20s player would support the person running the ball. ET and Kevvie did that at times but all the other forwards and backs just stood there swatting flies. I wasnt happy with Tui's involvement in the first half either- he just parked himself on the right instead of taking on the line.

This is all basic stuff. You don't need superstars, experience or skills to do this. I've said it all year. A lot of these guys (not just the young ones) don't have much footy brains tbh. Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 12:26 am

I think we did not win due to lack of good forwards that Parra had plenty of tonight. Mitch was protected, he had great assistance in defence, he wasn't cobbered so he got some very good kicks in. I did notice that after a bit of rough stuff he no longer took the line on as he should have been doing to draw them in.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 6:22 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 11:35 pm
It's got nothing to do with inexperience or skillset from where I can see jirskyr.

This was back to the good ol' days of Taylorball tbh. But at the end of Taylorball you had a bomb, most of Brooks' kicks were horribble. I saw all 4 games this week and tbh Brooks was one of the worst of the 16 halves and we had the worst 6th tackle kicks

Now the 5 tackles beforehand, any reserve grader or an U20s player would support the person running the ball. ET and Kevvie did that at times but all the other forwards and backs just stood there swatting flies. I wasnt happy with Tui's involvement in the first half either- he just parked himself on the right instead of taking on the line.

This is all basic stuff. You don't need superstars, experience or skills to do this. I've said it all year. A lot of these guys (not just the young ones) don't have much footy brains tbh. Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with.
Brooks' long kicking game was excellent. His short kicking game needs further refinement but he also needs more protection from his forwards. Overall he played well.

Earl
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 7:48 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 6:22 am
tig_prmz wrote:

Brooks' long kicking game was excellent. His short kicking game needs further refinement but he also needs more protection from his forwards. Overall he played well.
Brooks was really poor at the start of the game but he improved a lot throughout the game.

We do struggle in attack at the moment but I don't think it was that bad. We scored 22 points.

Russell
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:25 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm
All these players need to forget the excuses: forget the big 4, forget the coaching changes, forget what someone else said, forget the TimSim incident and just move on and do their jobs.

Idk how you can possibly say that it was a good effort when they're doing one out hits. Sue, Lovett, Ava, Grant, the centres they all need to support the ball carrier.

Every forward touches the ball maybe 20 times in the game, a lot of the work is done off the ball like running decoys, tackling, cover tackles, kick pressure, kick chase, protecting your half when he kicks etc. and that's not happening

You dont need rep players to do that. You just need a heart and a brain.
All good in theory Tig, games don't pan out like that.... there is an opposition that have a say.

Russell
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 126 times

Unread post by Russell » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:43 am

tig_prmz wrote:

Did you really watch the 4 games?

You say and I QUOTE : "Brooks was one of the worst of the 16 halves and we had the worst 6th tackle kicks"

There were only 8 half backs (not 16, lets count the players that played in the same position), if you did watch you would have noticed that Taylor (Titans) produced a sub standard kicking game, Moses hardly kicked at all (Norman did the kicking for the Eels), McCrone and Reynolds were no better than Brooks - so one of the worst is not accurate; it could also just as easily be said he was one of the best.

QUOTE: "Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with".

Oh! and Woods did not play on Saturday night by the way.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 9:41 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:43 am
tig_prmz wrote:

Did you really watch the 4 games?

You say and I QUOTE : "Brooks was one of the worst of the 16 halves and we had the worst 6th tackle kicks"

There were only 8 half backs (not 16, lets count the players that played in the same position), if you did watch you would have noticed that Taylor (Titans) produced a sub standard kicking game, Moses hardly kicked at all (Norman did the kicking for the Eels), McCrone and Reynolds were no better than Brooks - so one of the worst is not accurate; it could also just as easily be said he was one of the best.

QUOTE: "Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with".

Oh! and Woods did not play on Saturday night by the way.
Overall I thought Moses' kicking was excellent, lobbed some of them beautiful. Brooks low kicks got nowhere but that can be bad luck as well. The old master at kicking the last few weeks is you know who - he is not a half of course.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 11:09 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 6:22 am
tig_prmz wrote:

Agree with this. His long kicks made Beale (or whoever else) bring the ball back from within their own 5m more often than not, despite being under all sorts of pressure.
The attacking grubbers seemed to hit shark shins more often than not, and that's an issue, particularly given he's going to be kicking 90% of the time when paired with Tui.

Going back to the squad - there's been much more turnover from last year than people think at first. For example, less than half of the 17 that played on Saturday played in our rd 26 game against Canberra. Some have left the club, others are injured, others are no longer playing NRL for various reasons...

Return to “Round 15: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”