Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Re: Well done boys

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 12:37 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:25 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm
All these players need to forget the excuses: forget the big 4, forget the coaching changes, forget what someone else said, forget the TimSim incident and just move on and do their jobs.

Idk how you can possibly say that it was a good effort when they're doing one out hits. Sue, Lovett, Ava, Grant, the centres they all need to support the ball carrier.

Every forward touches the ball maybe 20 times in the game, a lot of the work is done off the ball like running decoys, tackling, cover tackles, kick pressure, kick chase, protecting your half when he kicks etc. and that's not happening

You dont need rep players to do that. You just need a heart and a brain.
All good in theory Tig, games don't pan out like that.... there is an opposition that have a say.
The opposition had nothing to do with us seemingly (from the end part of the game I saw) running one out constantly... There was no support... No bodies in motion.. Just "it's your go... We'll watch"

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 12:56 pm

long and the short is that we cant beat many team even with 5 or 6 of their best out.

Got lots of individuals coming next year,

It is known that the team is more about how these guys play together that the sum of the individuals.

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:04 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 11:35 pm
It's got nothing to do with inexperience or skillset from where I can see jirskyr.

This was back to the good ol' days of Taylorball tbh. But at the end of Taylorball you had a bomb, most of Brooks' kicks were horribble. I saw all 4 games this week and tbh Brooks was one of the worst of the 16 halves and we had the worst 6th tackle kicks

Now the 5 tackles beforehand, any reserve grader or an U20s player would support the person running the ball. ET and Kevvie did that at times but all the other forwards and backs just stood there swatting flies. I wasnt happy with Tui's involvement in the first half either- he just parked himself on the right instead of taking on the line.

This is all basic stuff. You don't need superstars, experience or skills to do this. I've said it all year. A lot of these guys (not just the young ones) don't have much footy brains tbh. Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with.
How can football, in any aspect, have nothing to do with experience or skillset?

tig_prmz
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:41 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:43 am

There were only 8 half backs (not 16, lets count the players that played in the same position), if you did watch you would have noticed that Taylor (Titans) produced a sub standard kicking game, Moses hardly kicked at all (Norman did the kicking for the Eels), McCrone and Reynolds were no better than Brooks - so one of the worst is not accurate; it could also just as easily be said he was one of the best.

QUOTE: "Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with".

Oh! and Woods did not play on Saturday night by the way.
teams have 2 halves mate

and Brooks had to take control. He was responsible for our last tackle and he was horrible. Mostly his short kicking, he barely got any repeat sets even with all the field position. We had so many tackles in the Opp 20 and Brooks wasn't responsible for any try or line break assists.

All this with the sharks missing 5 origin players.

I just don't see how we can be happy with that performance. Honestly, the knights would've beaten us if we didn't get all those penalties at the start.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:42 pm

I think they are going in the right direction, however as Cleary has stated, when they come under pressure or get tired, they revert to old habits.

The defensive line seems to be working better with players not coming out of the line. They do seem to be holding their line better and sliding to adjust the numbers. The Sharks really only went around us twice to score which is a lot less than recent experience. A couple of the Sharks' tries and line breaks were mainly down to some lazy marker defence (we got done on that stupid outside inside play numerous times). Finally, it was some very poor positional play from Naquama for the last try. To me he seemed to forget he was the fullback.

The only try in my opinion that was disappointing from a structural perspective was the try down the right that brought Sharks within two. That was a simple backline movement and the defensive line did not adjust, they looked lazy and perhaps felt they had the game won.

I thought the change of Marsters for Chee-Kam in the centres was excellent. There is something about Marsters and he looks a solid footballer. Would love to see us run backline movements with Marsters and Suli coming from depth and crash balling into the defence - they could really cause some damage.

tig_prmz

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:43 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:04 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
It's got nothing to do with inexperience or skillset from where I can see jirskyr.

This was back to the good ol' days of Taylorball tbh. But at the end of Taylorball you had a bomb, most of Brooks' kicks were horribble. I saw all 4 games this week and tbh Brooks was one of the worst of the 16 halves and we had the worst 6th tackle kicks

Now the 5 tackles beforehand, any reserve grader or an U20s player would support the person running the ball. ET and Kevvie did that at times but all the other forwards and backs just stood there swatting flies. I wasnt happy with Tui's involvement in the first half either- he just parked himself on the right instead of taking on the line.

This is all basic stuff. You don't need superstars, experience or skills to do this. I've said it all year. A lot of these guys (not just the young ones) don't have much footy brains tbh. Esp guys like Ava, Sue, Lovett, Brooks, Grant and Woods. They just take their half hearted hit ups and get it over and done with.
How can football, in any aspect, have nothing to do with experience or skillset?
The things that I am pointing out have nothing to do with experience or skillset.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

tig_prmz

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:45 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 6:22 am
tig_prmz wrote:

Brooks' long kicking game was excellent. His short kicking game needs further refinement but he also needs more protection from his forwards. Overall he played well.
His long kicking game was sub par- we can't be comparing Brooks to his 18 year old self. He has had 3 full seasons in first grade. Corey Norman's was excellent

His short kicking was just the worst i've seen in a while.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

tig_prmz

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm not ragging on players or doubting their efforts. Main example is Sue. I have no doubt in the world that this guy tackles hard and runs hard. But they don't use their brains. When ET as the smallest forward in the world is taking a hit up, you need to have brains to support him and put the opposition in two minds and run a hole. You don't need a Wade Graham or Luke Lewis for that.

Things like completions, kick metres, kick chases, decoys- all this has NOTHING to do with your experience or skillset. You don't need to have been playing together for years to do this. This is basic stuff that they teach in U12s. I played touch with mates for a month and we had more set plays than these guys. Two tries just barging over from dummy half, one try from a young forward seeing an opportunity and taking it. The MWZ try as I said before was really good.

I honestly don't know how you guys can be happy with what was produced there; it was worse than reserve grade standard.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

tig_prmz

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 1:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 12:37 pm
Russell wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:25 am
tig_prmz wrote:
Sun 18 Jun, 2017 6:25 pm
All these players need to forget the excuses: forget the big 4, forget the coaching changes, forget what someone else said, forget the TimSim incident and just move on and do their jobs.

Idk how you can possibly say that it was a good effort when they're doing one out hits. Sue, Lovett, Ava, Grant, the centres they all need to support the ball carrier.

Every forward touches the ball maybe 20 times in the game, a lot of the work is done off the ball like running decoys, tackling, cover tackles, kick pressure, kick chase, protecting your half when he kicks etc. and that's not happening

You dont need rep players to do that. You just need a heart and a brain.
All good in theory Tig, games don't pan out like that.... there is an opposition that have a say.
The opposition had nothing to do with us seemingly (from the end part of the game I saw) running one out constantly... There was no support... No bodies in motion.. Just "it's your go... We'll watch"
I think you said before that you only saw the last 20. The first 20 was worse if you wanna catch the replay.

One out hit up or dummy half runs. Repeat x 5 and bomb.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 158 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 2:24 pm

jirskyr wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that statement bizarre.

It's the exact reason why we are where we are. We don't have enough experienced and skilled players. Our team is full of kids and reserve graders. It is exactly why we are where we are.

Melbourne aren't coming first because they have a first class spine brimming with talent and experience behind a good quality pack who do the jobs allotted to them... :lol:
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 2:45 pm

Just throwing it out there, but imagine if they played "Taylorball" in the last 3 minutes on Saturday.

Maybe JT was onto something about how to win and close out games...

Earl
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 91 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 3:15 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 2:45 pm
Just throwing it out there, but imagine if they played "Taylorball" in the last 3 minutes on Saturday.

It is a great way to play at the end of the game when you are up. You can even try it for 10 minutes if you are winning.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:04 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 2:24 pm
jirskyr wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that statement bizarre.

It's the exact reason why we are where we are. We don't have enough experienced and skilled players. Our team is full of kids and reserve graders. It is exactly why we are where we are.

Melbourne aren't coming first because they have a first class spine brimming with talent and experience behind a good quality pack who do the jobs allotted to them... :lol:
Melbourne's spine was out on Sat night plus a middle forward and a center and the team they presented would have lapped us. They have quality throughout their organisation just waiting for a chance to shine. We have 30% of a first grade quality squad and everyone else through all grades are pretenders.

kafta
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 29 times

Unread post by kafta » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:18 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 2:45 pm

Yeah, But JT would play it for 80

tig_prmz

Unread post by tig_prmz » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:35 pm

LOL i give up. I don't think we are all on the same page then.
My Round 1 Team 2018

6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:50 pm

I get ya.
No ball movement... No questions asked of the opposition... No pressure applied.. No imagination... No thought.. No flair...no risks... Lots of dull one out hit ups.

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:09 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 19 Jun, 2017 4:50 pm
I get ya.
No ball movement... No questions asked of the opposition... No pressure applied.. No imagination... No thought.. No flair...no risks... Lots of dull one out hit ups.
Hmm but the most points we've scored since Rd 7?

timmings01
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by timmings01 » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 8:25 pm

Everyone knew they were going to lose that game. We were all waiting for it to happen. How sad is that?

Return to “Round 15: Wests Tigers vs Cronulla Sharks”