Gould's comments

Black'n'White

Re: Gould's comments

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:50 pm

how wide a scope you want to take here Stryker...

Folau, Hayne, Tedesco were all from the Magpies catchment area for example

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:55 pm

Ryan Hoffman was Sheens' biggest regret losing him.
Difficult question to answer... Guys like Hayne & Inu were from the district but chose to go to stronger Jnr clubs in Parra district before being graded.
Don't think there's been too many of late

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:59 pm

I probably havent worded that question too well. I keep hearing that the club neglects its catchment area in the west. How true do you guys think that is?

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:01 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:43 pm
Serious question here and im not taking the mickey...
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?
Jarryd Hayne
Israel Folau
Ryan Hoffman
Chris Lawrence (pre-injury)
James Tedesco
Beau Scott
Tim Lafai

...next year we'll have none of them. If Nofo can learn to defend he might make it to above average.

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:06 pm

stryker wrote:
How many players from western sydney are playing for the club and how many did we fail to secure who are better than average first graders?
I had an issue with his comments to question on "how long for WT to secure premiership - probably never". Now that was v poor from him.
As far as what he said ....... that we should focus on vast Western Sydney junior nursery and base closer to that area .... he is right.
And yes we are underutilising juniors from that area.
Also junior teams from that area are continually underperforming in SG Ball and HM .... so not sure what the problem is there .... coaching, junior development, funding ??

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:06 pm

Macarthur region’s junior rugby league numbers continue to fall
Tarik Elmerhebe, Macarthur Chronicle Campbelltown
March 8, 2017 4:52pm

THE Macarthur region was once rugby league heartland but with dwindling numbers in junior participation over the years, many feel those days are gone.

An audit conducted by NSW Rugby League (NSWRL) last year found the Western Suburbs District Junior Rugby League (WSDJRL) competition needed to combine with the Canterbury-Bankstown District Junior Rugby Football League to survive after plummeting registrations.

From this season onwards, the first division teams in the under-13s to 17s leagues will compete in the merged competition.

In 2015, the Macarthur Chronicle reported registrations had fallen by 267 players.

One local parent, who wished to remain anonymous, said several children were moving to other sporting codes from rugby league, highlighting player transfer issues as one of the main reasons.

“Is the competition in such a strong position that we can afford to lose these kids to either other districts or to other codes?” they said.

“I don’t think the league is in a position to lose more kids.”

WSDJRL chief executive Julie Luke admitted there was an issue.

“Yes, the participation numbers have declined over the past number of years,” she said.

“It should also be noted that rugby league participation numbers across the board have declined over the past two years, which is in line with a decline nationally in all organised sport, in particular with the teenage demographic.”

But she said the WSDJRL, affiliated clubs, Wests Magpies, Wests Tigers and the NSWRL were all working together to increase participation numbers.
Rugby league junior numbers have continued to decline in the region. Picture: Troy Snook

“Yes, it is concerning, which is why, to this, junior league reacted with a request to the NSWRL to conduct an audit and health check within our district last season to try to identify the decline,” she said.

“This audit was conducted by the NSWRL with participation from clubs, officials and parents.

“NSWRL has been actively working with WSDJRL over the past 18 months to identify possible solutions.

“We are currently working in conjunction with the NSWRL to promote via our affiliated clubs the NSWRL Recreational Pre Season Program. We also have a close working relationship with the NRL Game Development Office whose role is to promote our game throughout the school communities.”

At a Campbelltown Chamber of Commerce meeting recently, Wests Tigers chief executive Justin Pascoe said junior rugby league had a number of challenges it was facing when trying to increase numbers.

“I think the threats are outside competition first and foremost. You see soccer obviously continuing to evolve and develop ... I think the AFL and the investment they’re making into not only infrastructure but also through schools also,” he said.

But with the NRL adopting a State Cup model for lower-tier rugby league from 2018, Mr Pascoe said he believed that would help encourage more young players.

“The pathway that I’ve seen that the NRL is developing in regards to the state league I think will address some of those issues and hopefully bring participation and growth back.”

Also at that meeting, Tigers fan engagement and community manager Shaun Spence said the encouragement of volunteers in junior leagues was something that was often overlooked and needed to be addressed.

“With junior football it’s great to try to attract juniors to the sport but if the volunteers aren’t there to run the clubs and run the leagues themselves, the teams fall over completely,” he said.

“I think that’s a big role that we can play in terms of recognising the current volunteers and also encouraging the ones we do have.”

Comments

Newest | Oldest | Top Comments
Mark
Apr 30, 2017

Now I know why NRL juniors are not getting enough time on the field my son is 6 year old playing under Sevens in roll with Ingleburn RSL I have done my registration for him and signed off on his card but he has been sitting on the bench for the last two games because no one will sign off on his card to play and no one can give me a reason why it makes me very angry as a parent because it is his first year in NRL why is it that I did the same as every other parent yet the kids are playing and my son is not the club tells me that West won't sign off on his card and that he has been transferred from another club which is b******* because it is his first time this is why kids play other sports I will love my son to play NRL under Sevens but no one can tell me what can I do to get him to play is a joke you think you pay up registration and sightings that's your son can play but it's not the case disappointed and upset West and Ingleburn RSL.
FlagShare
1MarvelLikeReply
carl
May 6, 2017

100% agree with you. West leagues are an absolute basket case of an organisation it seems that rather be caught up in paperwork then actually helping kids get on the field every week. And the problem is you can't criticizing or they take all their balls and go home. The NRL really needs to look at Wests Leagues as an organisation. They can't even get the day of the games right you don't even find out who your playing until 3 days before the game. and it is really a reflection of how the organisation is run from the top to the bottom. Other junior Leagues in Sydney are run so much better. Our kids schools have already had a visit from the GWS Giants this year. They have never seen anybody from the West Tigers since they been at school.
FlagShare
LikeReply
Sonia
Mar 11, 2017

This is an assaulte joke, NSWRL are full of crap and are hiding behind stupid rules where they will not let kids inside the district transfer to a 1st division side that has made it to a grand final....

our team lost 5 kids to other sports or injury this year and NSWRL keep denying transfers to our team (even if the kids moved to the area or wants to play back in his own age instead of playing up a age) how are we meant to move to this new Canterbury competition as a 1st division side when we can't get anymore players.

Seem like Julie Luke and NSWRL don't mind that we might need to fold our side as we can not field enough players due to the ridiculous rules that are being held strong with no duty of care or consideration to the situation.

How do you tell a team of 11 players that they might not be able to play the game they love due to the big wigs trying to build the comp back to what it was but forgetting about the kids that are wanting to stay.

I could go on and on but as one of those volenteers for the last almost 10 years the thought as crossed my mind to get up and leave the game to but I could not do that to the kids we have thought over those 10 years.

Julie Luke and NSWRL need to take a look at themselves and go back to the drawing board and rethink what is pushing the kids and their family's away.

IT IS YOU!!!!!!
FlagShare
1MarvelLikeReply
Brad
Mar 9, 2017

Participation rates falling again even though they include touch football and Oztag numbers!! Gee Rugby League is really kicking goals. No wonder they keep bringing back trouble makers to play in the NRL. They dont have a choice.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 9acc002768

Some of the comments are interesting.

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:24 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 5:59 pm
I probably havent worded that question too well. I keep hearing that the club neglects its catchment area in the west. How true do you guys think that is?
Honestly, to use a similar analogy as to how poorly our catchment area is being developed/utilised, I would lean on the similar scenario which would be Gus Hiddinks views on Australian Soccer, and his grass roots implementation of the dutch system which is now paying dividends in Australian Soccer.

I think we, alongside Penrith and Illawarra, hold the greatest asset in junior football, and are failing on an epic scale when it comes to education of fundamentals. We need to take more responsibility for the leagues under our umbrella, developing systems for the junior coaches to have the kids better prepared for senior football. The reasons we lose the Haynes to Paramatta would be nullified if our grass roots systems were stronger, our leagues would be more appealing, and it fortifies our pathways. You back that into senior football not only within the Greater Campbelltown region but also nudging players into the senior systems under the Balmain districts and we really should be a production line pumping kids out.

If we could focus on having kids developed more completely skillwise, the senior progression can be soley focussed on the finesses and structures of the game.

Right now watching the Tigers play, we can see that alot of these guys cannot do the basics well, when Taylor tested our squad, our hit and stick was appalling. Those issues should have been ironed out in juniors. Thats where we are failing.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:06 pm

This goes agaisnt what I was saying before with our junior base but is there any chance we could develop an affiliation with a Queensland Cup side.
I've never seen Hunt kick the ball better than tonight. Is there a chance we could send Brooks to Redcliff to finish off the season.
No im not kidding!

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:06 pm

Black'n'White wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:24 pm
stryker wrote:
Honestly, to use a similar analogy as to how poorly our catchment area is being developed/utilised, I would lean on the similar scenario which would be Gus Hiddinks views on Australian Soccer, and his grass roots implementation of the dutch system which is now paying dividends in Australian Soccer.

I think we, alongside Penrith and Illawarra, hold the greatest asset in junior football, and are failing on an epic scale when it comes to education of fundamentals. We need to take more responsibility for the leagues under our umbrella, developing systems for the junior coaches to have the kids better prepared for senior football. The reasons we lose the Haynes to Paramatta would be nullified if our grass roots systems were stronger, our leagues would be more appealing, and it fortifies our pathways. You back that into senior football not only within the Greater Campbelltown region but also nudging players into the senior systems under the Balmain districts and we really should be a production line pumping kids out.

If we could focus on having kids developed more completely skillwise, the senior progression can be soley focussed on the finesses and structures of the game.

Right now watching the Tigers play, we can see that alot of these guys cannot do the basics well, when Taylor tested our squad, our hit and stick was appalling. Those issues should have been ironed out in juniors. Thats where we are failing.
Good points. Added to the comments from parents in the article above and a picture is developing as to why there isnt a continual stream of adequately talented players coming out of the area and into the club.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:15 pm

cqtiger wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 8:54 am
Probably explains why it was only a 2 year deal for Brooks.
Most of our key signings have been for 3 or more years.

The fact that Brooks signed so quickly after his original offer was reduced by $250K shows that he and his manager didn't think he would get a gig elsewhere either.

Maybe Cleary's son coming here isn't all fiction.
Hang on here Chief --- your saying Tigers original offer to Brooks was 800k - I think your dreamin"

Whoever offered a figure like that would be an idiot and then they reduced it to 550k - don't think so.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:30 pm

The Paea brothers were also local wests juniors. I have no connection with junior league these days, but I know 15-20 years ago, that if you were not affiliated to a couple of the favoured junior clubs, you would not be picked for the Wests junior rep teams.

When you list the names of of the juniors that left and those that went through to holden cup with wests, you will find that the players in both groups came for particular groups of clubs.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:36 pm

stryker wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:06 pm
Black'n'White wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 6:24 pm
stryker wrote:

Good points. Added to the comments from parents in the article above and a picture is developing as to why there isnt a continual stream of adequately talented players coming out of the area and into the club.

The governing body and their sixteen clubs are the biggest problem, with the greed of the top players not far behind. Really hard to believe that they have some sort of future fund and the salary cap is rising at an extraordinary rate, whilst the struggling country leagues that were the lifeblood of the game have been neglected and the AFL is installing goalposts free of charge around the two RL states.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:58 pm

stryker wrote:
At present in First Grade Tedesco, Nofoaluma, Lawrence, Sue and Marsters...Outside Fifita from Blacktown but through our Junior Pathways ..there are many but just of the top of my head players like Hayne, Hoffman (SG Ball) that came from the South West but never got a look in through our pathways..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 7:30 am

king sirro wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:16 am
Im not sure Lyke quite gets what it takes to be an NRL half. Someone needs to explain to him the hours Cronk puts into his own game in his own time outside of the teams scheduled training sessions. Im not sure Luke is willing to spend an hour every single day working on his kicking game in his own time and thats the problem. Professionalism and commitment.

Luke.....the ART OF SKILL IS REPETITION.
This^! Whenever I think of Adam Blair I think of his comment about doing extra training outside of the standard when he was at WT. Blair obviously had the passion to want to do more and better.
Take this with Woods comment about it being just a job. Is the overarching culture at WT that 'Its just a job'? Did this contribute to Tedesco wanting to leave? If this is the issue how, other than identifying and hiring passionate players, does Ivan fix it?
"Quality Stupidity"

tigertuff

Post by tigertuff » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:54 am

Until the NRL get serious about spreading the game in the south west it will stay idle in my opinion. The money getting thrown at homebush stadium just for upgrades is beyond belief. This is where the NRL should be talking to the minister responsible and highlighting where the money needs to go. Why wouldn't you build a state of the art stadium where campbelltown stadium is for the people of the south west. It is the fastest growing area in Australia ,Has a train station next door and ample parking near the ground. That billion dollars to upgrade Homebush is joke. The people in the south west will be left behind again.

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 8:59 am

Goodbye tigers, penrith and eels....

Hello Greater Western Sydney Wildcats
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

everett8

Post by everett8 » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:17 am

My children go to school in the Hills district. Both NRL and AFL have paid their schools a visit however the free stuff the AFL gives the children is outstanding compared to NRL.

My Brother son plays for a Quakers Hill AFL junior team and they are given free tickets to every Giants game except against the Swans, free balls, Senior players of the Giants attend their training sessions and their club has a number of teams play at half time at Giants games.

AFL has poured money into the Giants to make them a champion side.

NRL is so behind at grass root levels.

Also NRL needs to adopt a weight competition as too many small skinny children are moving on to AFL or soccer.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 25 Jun, 2017 9:18 am

Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 3:19 pm
TIGER wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 10:30 am
Swordy wrote:
Sat 24 Jun, 2017 7:33 am
Wish I was a half back behind this forward pack. I'd be filled with so much confidence and enthusiasm too.
What's your reason for him not being able to even get a kick away or finish our set with a decent kick when he does?
What is a halfbacks job if it's not to work to a spot on the field and position yourself to get a good finish to a set?

Give me half of what he's on, I can put up bombs and kick balls dead.
I didnt say i necessarily rated him, but no halfback in the game, including cronk and thurston, can get good kicks away, direct play and build pressure if they are behind a pathetic forward pack that is being monstered. A perfect example was cronk in origin 1. Extremely quiet because his pack got run over. You have no time to position yourself, not field position, and the opposition is in your face before you can move.

Hence i said in an earlier post, id like to see him after a season behind a decent pack to see if he can run a game. Even Moses, whi consider an imbecile is going better behind a better pack.
Brooks had plenty of time to get a kick away his kicks are just plain awful.
What's your excuse for him being nowhere to be seen on the last to even get a kick away sometimes?
What's your excuse for us running it down a short side when there's nothing on there and just handing the ball over?
This is Brooks job to take control of these last plays, yet everyone continually makes excuses for him as to why he can't do it.
Nothing will change next year, we'll have a new look side but with the same halfback and the same problems.