Edwards!!

tiger pom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Edwards!!

Unread post by tiger pom » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 1:08 am

If my mathematics is correct Lovett has played against:Titans,Sharks,Roosters,Dragons and Broncos for a total of 301 minutes.Total running metres 357,tackles 180 with missed tackles 9.
Edwards:Knights ,Broncos,Rabbits,Sharks,Dogs,Storm and Panthers for a total of 326 minutes.Total running metres 238,tackles 172,missed tackles 27.
Clearly the stats lie.We will be lucky to hang on to Edwards.

Swordy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by Swordy » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 5:50 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:03 pm
Swordy wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:01 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 8:13 pm
Swordy wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 8:10 pm
Thats because they arent first graders.
Edwards has played over 100 games. Not sure if that's enough games to constitute a first grader.
I think you know what I mean. Lets not get silly.

Edwards had the best game ive seen him play today, but its a rarity. Would he be a first grader at any of the top 8 teams. Thats what we want to be isnt it?
The complaints really are tiring. The way our cap has been so mismanaged, players like him are a by product of it. What do you expect?
I think we are on the same side mate. Agree 100%
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 6:47 am

VanillaThunder wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 12:57 am
According to the stats Nathan Ross made nearly 200m today, not bad for one of the worst blokes on the park.
I thought Edwards was strong, didn't hit it up much and I didn't notice him miss 10, his involvements that I noticed were covering Brooks (who defended exceptionally well) and stopping players in their tracks. Not his biggest fan but I thought he played well today. The only time I notice Lovett is when he's losing ground each run or letting opposition run past him unchecked.
Happy to keep him on in NSW Cup, he can do a job in first grade if needed (as he showed).
Yeah, I think he may be the best minder we have for Brooks.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 7:19 am

beachtiger wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 7:44 pm
Didn't realise he missed that many tackles, sorry for trying to be positive after a win!
Positive's great, as long as it's deserved, and accurate.

yeti
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by yeti » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 7:53 am

Edwards has the ability to hurt people in tackles as well. If given a simple task by Cleary, I think he would be ok as a guy who could fill in for the odd game here and there. We need a few players like that - not costing a lot but doing a simple job. Just my opinion.

TigerTiger
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TigerTiger » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:52 am

TigerSkins wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 6:55 pm
Grant, Lawrence and Aloiai in the side would mean ... NO Lovett, edwards or MCK.
One can only hope.

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:53 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Swordy wrote:
Edwards has played over 100 games. Not sure if that's enough games to constitute a first grader.
Last time I checked

None of us here were / Are first or reserve graders.

My very good friend is a current NRL captain and he made a very interesting comment once.

something along " The number of Fat $&^% that tell me how I should be playing is funny".

Lets be realistic in our assessment of others in an area that we are nowhere as good.

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:57 am

stats are way over valued in todays game.

i dont remember edwards missing a tackle that lead to a break or try. if he slid off a tackle he made enough impact that the attacker was slowed down and someone else came and finished it off without any damage caused

he held his own in defence and got out of brooks/suli's way in attack

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:28 am

Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:53 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Swordy wrote:
Last time I checked

My very good friend is a current NRL captain and he made a very interesting comment once.

something along " The number of Fat $&^% that tell me how I should be playing is funny".

Lets be realistic in our assessment of others in an area that we are nowhere as good.
Your friend sounds like an ignorant idiot. It has been proven many times that top line players cant coach and vice versa. To write off the comments of punters because they havent "been there, done that" themselves is stupid and arrogant.

TigerTiger
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by TigerTiger » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:43 am

stryker wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:28 am
Spartan117 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Swordy wrote:
Last time I checked

Your friend sounds like an ignorant idiot. It has been proven many times that top line players cant coach and vice versa. To write off the comments of punters because they havent "been there, done that" themselves is stupid and arrogant.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anywhere here claims that the writers said that they could do better. They (and me) are being critical of a player's performance compared to other players.

Players should pay more attention to the fans, their public, as they are getting paid big money playing a game in the public forum, only for the benefit of the fans. Referring to fans as "fat %$%$" shows a lack or respect. Some fans lose their right to respect through their behaviour, sure, but all fans will quickly lose respect for a player who treats fans like that.

Lakra
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Lakra » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:51 am

10 missed tackles but he did try hard can't knock a bloke for that.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 155 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:00 am

Spartan117 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Swordy wrote:
Last time I checked

Your mates coach never played past Jersey Flegg either, does that mean he doesn't know anything? Maguire barely played FG, took Souths to a premiership.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:10 am

The missed tackle stat is a bit misleading at times. Edwards is a long way off a world-beater, but we're a better defensive side with him in the team compared to Lovett. The latter makes so many bad reads and gets caught out otherwise that his defensive errors don't always show up on the stat sheet as missed tackles. Edwards reads the game relatively well, even if the body doesn't respond as well as it should.

In an ideal world neither would be in the match day 17, but it is what it is....

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:37 am

Would you guys offer him a contract for 2018 based on yesterdays performance?

fergiefurr

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:43 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:37 am
Would you guys offer him a contract for 2018 based on yesterdays performance?
no

jirskyr
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 132 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:44 am

fergiefurr wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:57 am
stats are way over valued in todays game.

i dont remember edwards missing a tackle that lead to a break or try. if he slid off a tackle he made enough impact that the attacker was slowed down and someone else came and finished it off without any damage caused

he held his own in defence and got out of brooks/suli's way in attack
He was marker when Knights crashed over from DH for their first try.

I think Edwards is fairly ordinary, even yesterday, he has a job to do as a dominant tackler and he gets it right about 3/4 of the time, but that isn't enough.

I don't think stats are misleading so long as you look deeper than just numbers sitting on a page, and I don't doubt (without checking) that Edwards missed a number of those tackles as an isolated or cover defender.

Personally I think Edwards is superior to Lovett and that's really all that matters right now in this team, because both of them are inferior to options on the sideline. But I do find Lovett really struggles in 1-1 tackles and doesn't stop offloads, whereas Edwards hits and sticks, really puts guys on the ground. Only Edwards and MMc regularly dominate tackles 1-1 in our side (ET is good 1-1 but he stops with legs tackles more often than dominant ones).

Lovett is more mobile in attack and better at gaining metres out wide, but I believe Edwards was used out wide for the first time yesterday, so hasn't had so much opportunity. But neither are particular threats out wide, nor are they much chop in the middle.

fergiefurr

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 11:14 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:44 am

He was marker when Knights crashed over from DH for their first try.

he was marker but he had about a 10m gap next to him cause woods was too lazy to come across and shut it. that try was more on woods then edwards imo

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 11:17 am

TigerTiger wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:43 am
stryker wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:28 am
Spartan117 wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:

Last time I checked

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anywhere here claims that the writers said that they could do better. They (and me) are being critical of a player's performance compared to other players.

Players should pay more attention to the fans, their public, as they are getting paid big money playing a game in the public forum, only for the benefit of the fans. Referring to fans as "fat %$%$" shows a lack or respect. Some fans lose their right to respect through their behaviour, sure, but all fans will quickly lose respect for a player who treats fans like that.
Thats Ludicris

I as a professional who has risen through the ranks should pay attention to people just cause the watch TV and listen to commentators that are employed to entertain.

If Phil Gould , Joey, Lockyer makes comments that thats different to the bloke in the street, teenager or a middle aged keyboard warrior telling whats the best way to improve.

Im just saying lets put things into perspective, This generation has a belief that " the world is entitled to hear my opinion". The Facebook Generation is led to believe that just cause we can comment, we should.

Come on gents. We are better than that.

Return to “Round 17: Wests Tigers vs Newcastle Knights”