Liddle/mcllwrick

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Re: Liddle/mcllwrick

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 12:51 pm

MMc did start the season well but started to taper off in the middle of the season. I think the fact people had low expectations and then he suddenly was out-performing those initially made everyone think he was going better than he was. He also has some minor ongoing knee issues which need to be managed.

He was and is doing a good job, and so is Liddle. Liddle is probably a better defender even though it's early in his career. He's also the second quickest player in the squad and considering how slow we are as a whole his pace is crucial. He does throw a few flat balls which have the potential to be called forward but they won't more often than not. Something to work on.
I also liked the fact in put in a very good long range kick and a couple of short ones too. Another part of his game to work on and he's doing so.

IMO Liddle is currently the best young hooker in the league. Better than Brailey, Levi etc. He's still got to take that potential and deliver on it but so far he is.

Ava was in the way for that pass. Asleep at the wheel he was. Liddle maybe should have just run the ball (Ava should have been ready to catch it in any case) but he'll learn from that.

stryker
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Unread post by stryker » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 2:06 pm

Very selective memories on Liddles game from a few of you.
That was not Ava's fault, it was a shocking pass which was finishing off a disgusting set of dummy half incompetence which including a couple of forward passes and absolutely no creativity or direction.

Dont get me wrong, i like Liddle but he has many errors in his game. He aims for the flashy play over the 1%ers. He has a long way to go. Our best option is MM until the apprenticeship is completed.

VanillaThunder
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by VanillaThunder » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 2:48 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:47 am
I'd be curious to know why Cleary swapped Liddle and MMc starting positions a few rounds back. Based on their current strengths, I think the ideal situation is opening with MMc then bringing Liddle on when the game opens up a bit. Saves Liddle the heavy defence and gives him some space to run.

I'd be all for bringing MMc back on as a lock for the late-stages of a game, esp if we are defending a lead, I think he is fairly strong in the carry, he's canny for when he runs and his defence is good.
I'm of the same opinion, but just spitballing, maybe it's because Liddle provides more options in attack? He's more dynamic and while he's solid defensively, he doesn't have the effect of Kiwi and that can be compensated more with our starting props. Bringing McIlwrick on with our back-up pigs forces us to play more direct and holds the middle a bit tighter too, both general issues we've had previously when going to the bench. May also help once the halves have settled in and making sure we don't get too carried away playing sideways when we aren't really moving forward as much.
I'd like to see the minutes split a bit more evenly, but I can't reasonably expect two interchanges on a hooker, so it becomes tough to manage.

Return to “Round 17: Wests Tigers vs Newcastle Knights”