Liddle/mcllwrick

gallagher
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: Liddle/mcllwrick

Unread post by gallagher » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 8:43 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 7:08 pm
I think we will have only one hooker next year and that will be Liddle. He needs exposure to starting to the game as well as increasing his game time to 80 mins.
Yup. Cleary handling Liddle very well.

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Defiant » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm all in on Liddle .

Look how well he defends for a little bloke and probably the fastest guy in the team over 20 metres.

Going to keep getting better.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by mike » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 8:46 pm

WT have much better go forward when Mcllwrick is on. Liddle is hot and cold. Liddle threw some shockers from Dummy Half.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Club Sandwich
Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Club Sandwich » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:12 pm

McIlwrick looks head and shoulders better than Liddle at this stage. His defence is solid and his passes out of dummy half are just that little bit better. It's these 1 percenters that make a massive difference.
Think MM and JL need to swap again for the rest of the year. We need to go with who's the bed 9 now.
Tigers tragic since 1980.

The_Doc
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by The_Doc » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:13 pm

I would start with MM but I think this is more to do with Ivan planning ahead and testing both players, we may see things switch around again in the near future.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:14 pm

tigerap wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 5:42 pm
I think Mcllwrick is streets ahead of Liddle at this stage of their respective careers....

I think Ivan has got it wrong starting with Liddle...

Id start with Mcllwrick and give Liddle the final 20 minutes.
Its not about right or wrong, this is just a stage in Liddles development..different experiences.
Hes got a long way to go, but hes learning

TYGA
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by TYGA » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:25 pm

Cleary is managing this brilliantly MM is slightly better ATM than Liddle. That said Liddle is not far off and a rookie who was the best junior hooker of his age group.
He has upside but this time an older head to help him out unlike Broses. Liddle is 20 and needs to play at 90-95kgs this will come in 18 months.

Russell
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 123 times

Unread post by Russell » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:25 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:14 pm
tigerap wrote:
I think Mcllwrick is streets ahead of Liddle at this stage of their respective careers....

Its not about right or wrong, this is just a stage in Liddles development..different experiences.
Agree Ink - it is all about getting practical experience. Cleary is giving him that opportunity whilst we are down the table - no good of trying to do this in 2018 when we are trying to go for a finals spot.

McIlwrick is a good DH, a very hard hitter in defence and is playing well - no argument there. However Liddle is quick, a good defender and a creative DH - this is where the future lies and I think Cleary thinks that as well. MM is not doing anything wrong, however I don't think he is capable of playing 80 minutes for a whole NRL season with his dodgy knees.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:25 pm

I struggle to split them at the moment, but I think Liddle's quality doesn't reduce so much with longer minutes, and Killer has more impact in a shorter stint.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Nucky Thompson
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 02 Jul, 2017 10:32 pm

Russell wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:25 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 9:14 pm
tigerap wrote:

Agree Ink - it is all about getting practical experience. Cleary is giving him that opportunity whilst we are down the table - no good of trying to do this in 2018 when we are trying to go for a finals spot.

McIlwrick is a good DH, a very hard hitter in defence and is playing well - no argument there. However Liddle is quick, a good defender and a creative DH - this is where the future lies and I think Cleary thinks that as well. MM is not doing anything wrong, however I don't think he is capable of playing 80 minutes for a whole NRL season with his dodgy knees.
That's fine but why can't mm get more game time than 10 minutes

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 12:33 am

tigerap wrote:

Disagree. McIlwrick was good when he came on, but I believe Liddle provides better service and offers more in attack.

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 8:49 am

mike wrote:
Sun 02 Jul, 2017 8:46 pm
WT have much better go forward when Mcllwrick is on. Liddle is hot and cold. Liddle threw some shockers from Dummy Half.
Exactly the way I see it also, rocks and diamonds with Liddle. Killer had done nothing wrong and his service is far superior, hope its just Ivan giving the young fella a taste of starting.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Needaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by Needaname » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:11 am

I read all the above comments before I had the chance to watch the game so I was expecting to see Liddle have a shocker and almost cost us the game on more than one occasion.
Fortunately that wasn't the case.
Don't be blinded by the size and age difference between the two players.
Liddle is a career hooker. The fact that he looks like he isn't really doing much but still putting up good numbers is a testament to his composure and his in game awareness.
He never looks rattled in defence and attack and just keeps going on about his business. He is always sceaming on the field and the only issue is his body and mind is still catching up with the speed of the NRL.
That being said. Although Liddle looks small. He actually has quite a solid frame. I've seen him in person and his a lot larger then you would think. His defence is always front on and second to ET would have to be one of our most effective in controlling a tackle from start to finish.
I don't have a love affair with the Kid it's just how I see it.
It's the first time we've had a hooker that can tackle high, not get pushed back and controll the ruck.
Massive difference in defence with Liddle starting.
Mc Killwik is an excellent fill in hooker, is solid in contact and possesses a good running game. Not an overly creative hooker but provides the right amount of impact. I like them both and I think the interchange although unfortunate for Mc is done at the right time with the experience of a solid player in to finish off the game.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:39 am

At this stage, they are probably even but long-term Liddle is going to be a far better player. I like how Cleary is giving Liddle more minutes to see if he can handle it, which I think he can. But having MM on the bench playing 10 minutes is a waste. I am excited by Liddle and his defense is excellent and will only grow in size and strength, his attack speaks for itself. His service out of dummy half is good but probably not quite as good as McIllwrick. If I was Cleary, I would give MM 55 minutes and Liddle 25 minutes at the backend of games. But long-term, Liddle is our (and possibly NSW) #9. I am confident Cleary's decision will be the best for the team long-term and short-term.

Lakra
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Lakra » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 9:47 am

It took Robbie Farah a couple of years to find his game does anyone remember his first year or two? , I think Cleary see's this with Liddle " The natural potential factor"..The really encouraging sign for me was his 40..20 kick attempt that fell short..he does seem to have a foot when he kicks albeit it didn't stand out today..he needs to wrestle a little more in defence but I think Cleary is doing the right thing...not a bad rep;lament hooker either next year if his injured.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:09 am

Not only do I think Liddle will be our hooker next year, but in the not too distant future he will end up as our captain.

jirskyr
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 132 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 10:47 am

I'd be curious to know why Cleary swapped Liddle and MMc starting positions a few rounds back. Based on their current strengths, I think the ideal situation is opening with MMc then bringing Liddle on when the game opens up a bit. Saves Liddle the heavy defence and gives him some space to run.

I'd be all for bringing MMc back on as a lock for the late-stages of a game, esp if we are defending a lead, I think he is fairly strong in the carry, he's canny for when he runs and his defence is good.

Tigerstruck
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Tigerstruck » Mon 03 Jul, 2017 11:05 am

At the moment I do think that MM is a much better option at dummy half, but I can't see him excelling much further than where he is at now.
Whereas with Liddle, I think he has so much 'natural potential', which Cleary has been trying to experiment with in the last few weeks. Give him the last ten or so rounds plus a pre-season next year and I think that he will excel past MM, and will eventually achieve a very bright future for NSW and possibly even Australia.

Return to “Round 17: Wests Tigers vs Newcastle Knights”