Justin Pascoe interview on MMM

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Justin Pascoe interview on MMM

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:31 pm

25th March 2018

Listen to the audio below, which also includes Pascoe discussing how Ivan Cleary is changing the club culture at the Tigers.

According to Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe; the club, players and officials have already moved on from penalty call incident that would ultimately see the Broncos end the Tigers unbeaten start to the season.

They are now firmly looking forward to their Easter Monday blockbuster against the Parramatta Eels.

However, speaking on Triple M Sunday NRL Pascoe raised an important point he believes people are failing to consider about the whole incident.

The knock-on effect, that incidents like the one we saw on Friday night have on the consumer outweighs almost anything else that is currently being debated around the issue.

Consumers are what drive the game and Pascoe detailed how the Tigers, in membership numbers, have already suffered from the incorrect call.
Last edited by Tweed Tiger on Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 3:40 pm

Not sure Friday nites "incident"has an immediate impact on membership numbers,but over the medium /long haul it
diminishes the credibility and integrity of the game..which means people don't believe the best team won/ lose interest/don't renew etc etc
What Klein did resulted in a significant blow to the games cred,and if hes not demoted to ISC for some time it will be seen as a lack of accountability by the ARL.Appreciate it wont bring back the 2 points.
It was either incompetence or "managing the result"...either way a total disgrace.Ill never trust Kleins integrity again

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:23 pm

It feeds into the disillusionment that many people have with the NRL. That games are too often decided by the officials and that certain teams get a legup. How many that translates into I don't know. From Pascoe's perspective 3-0 might have flushed out some fans to sign up. He and Go would have good data on the effects of early season wins versus membership numbers.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:27 pm

Seems like the WTs are positioning themselves for some kind of compensation from the NRL?

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:30 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:27 pm
Seems like the WTs are positioning themselves for some kind of compensation from the NRL?
I very much doubt anything will come of it as it will open up a can of worms
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:38 am

We're not the only team who've copped really bad calls. But we're one of the main recipients of bad calls over the years.

These things impact the NRL as a whole moreso than individual clubs. People just get sick of awful calls deciding games. We even have a video ref, why can't they have input in huge win or lose calls at the death? Or even a captain's challenge in the final 5 mins of the match/golden point.

Things can be done to nullify the incompetence of refs

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:46 am

On the flip side, the Jack Bird 'No Try' was a Try in my opinion ... although still contentious.

Bad calls affect the game a number of different ways, but it just makes it more heartbreaking when the dud call is so obviously wrong, and literally decides the game in that exact moment.

I just hope this isn't the 2 competition points that ends up deciding whether we finish in 8th or 9th spot in September.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:28 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:23 pm
It feeds into the disillusionment that many people have with the NRL. That games are too often decided by the officials and that certain teams get a legup. How many that translates into I don't know. From Pascoe's perspective 3-0 might have flushed out some fans to sign up. He and Go would have good data on the effects of early season wins versus membership numbers.
Klein needs this tattooed backwards across his forehead so he can read it every morning when he looks in the mirror. I have to admit, I was fuming. I must be a spoil sport.
"Quality Stupidity"

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:40 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:30 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
I agree, but lets hope Greenberg develops a spine overnight.

There has to be something implemented to fix it from ever happening again. No team should have to go through that. As Pascoe said, the commercial aspect has to be considered. Not just on the club, but the NRL as a whole. It's just dumb to have it as an open risk and not make any efforts to reduce it into the future.

1) Remove Golden point
2) In extra time, change minor infringements to hand-overs, rather than a penalty.
3) Have referees compensated like players, with a large proportion depending if they are refereeing first grade. Drop those who make a mistake quickly and for a long time.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:53 pm

hammertime wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:40 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:30 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
I agree, but lets hope Greenberg develops a spine overnight.

There has to be something implemented to fix it from ever happening again. No team should have to go through that. As Pascoe said, the commercial aspect has to be considered. Not just on the club, but the NRL as a whole. It's just dumb to have it as an open risk and not make any efforts to reduce it into the future.

1) Remove Golden point
2) In extra time, change minor infringements to hand-overs, rather than a penalty.
3) Have referees compensated like players, with a large proportion depending if they are refereeing first grade. Drop those who make a mistake quickly and for a long time.
Greenbergs a yellow belly ...
Nothing at all will change , I'm still livid today ...
But all we can do is suck it up and move on !
Agree on that golden point should be scrapped .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 2:39 pm

Another interesting comment from Pascoe was when asked about Benji he said words like yeah he talks a lot...maybe too much

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 4:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mate I am sure it would have got plenty of people to sign up and jump on the bus. The press would have been all over us, not to mention a few fans with a skin full and full of emotions heading down to the members tent.

From where I sit ,if you go into matches without a goal kicker and zero speed these things will happen as you should never have been in that situation in the first place. Okay doesn't make up for a crap call, but all teams get them

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 4:29 pm

supercoach wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 4:24 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Mate I am sure it would have got plenty of people to sign up and jump on the bus. The press would have been all over us, not to mention a few fans with a skin full and full of emotions heading down to the members tent.

From where I sit ,if you go into matches without a goal kicker and zero speed these things will happen as you should never have been in that situation in the first place. Okay doesn't make up for a crap call, but all teams get them
Can you tell me the last time Melbourne got a call like that?
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 5:29 pm

snowleopard wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 2:39 pm
Another interesting comment from Pascoe was when asked about Benji he said words like yeah he talks a lot...maybe too much
That was a joke.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 6:27 pm

supercoach wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm just trying to understand Go and Pascoe's take. They may have data that disagrees with our take.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 7:11 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Mon 26 Mar, 2018 6:27 pm
supercoach wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I don't necessarily disagree but I'm just trying to understand Go and Pascoe's take. They may have data that disagrees with our take.
Pascoe is a smart operator. There was little he said about the actual game and the loss in terms of points which to me is the real issue for most of us as he just tried to change the foucus to what he thought was the corporate picture. He used the interview to push his barrow and talked about how good he thought we were going in other terms like corporate $, culture, membership, etc.