Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 227 times
Been liked: 348 times

Press- Cleary proud of effort..

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 7:18 pm

Press Conference: NRL Round 19

Sun 16th July, 04:30PM

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary and captain Aaron Woods spoke to the media following the side's 28-16 defeat to the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles on Sunday.

Having battled gamely to lead 16-8 early in the second half before succumbing to a mountain of pressure from the Sea Eagles, Cleary said he was proud of the determined effort by his side.

"I'm actually really proud of the boys today," Cleary enthused.

"I think Manly had 14 more completed sets than us, which is an unbelievable amount.

"They did well to do that, but we still hung and we were still competing right at the end.

"We could have even won the game in the last 10 minutes," he added.

"But we've got to be able to control the ball and the way the sets finish a bit better.

"We were certainly looking pretty good after we scored in the second half.

"There were just a couple of errors in our own end and the way we finished off our sets wasn't good enough, and the Sea Eagles had all the ball and did a great job of building pressure.

"We were still able to be in the contest at 20-16 and had an opportunity to get the cash, but we couldn't come up with the right play. The ball just wasn't bouncing our way."

Having been promoted to the starting side over the past month, Jacob Liddle was forced from the field early on with a shoulder injury, which Cleary admitted didn't look good initially.

"We lost Jacob right at the start of the game which meant some boys had to play big minutes," he said. "There were a few guys who were out there a bit longer than expected.

"He's disclocated his shoulder so it's not great.

"He'll get scans and hopefully the damage isn't too bad.

"But he's going to be missing for a while. I think he'd be unlikely to be back this year."

Wests Tigers will look to bounce back next Sunday when they take on the Parramatta Eels next Sunday, July 23 at ANZ Stadium as the two teams play for the inaugural Stay Kind Cup.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... e_nrl.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 7:25 pm

Look at the end of the day I was proud of their effort today too. But continued errors from certain players I can't stand.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 7:43 pm

We've known for quite a long time that this team is not fully NRL standard. It contains quite a few young inexperienced players who may improve or may not. Next years signings are a galaxy ahead in experience so I'm content that we will be better.

I also think that Cleary is showing that he can actually coach. Brooks and Tui are going better each week.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

05TIGZ
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 47 times

Unread post by 05TIGZ » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 8:01 pm

Don't mind a loss when the boys rip in. A bit of luck and the result could have been so different. If we can beat the eels next week, I will be content for the rest of the year.

tigerap
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by tigerap » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 8:06 pm

Sue was pathetic today 1 run for 9 meters.... does he honestly think that effort will contribute to a win???...hook him for next week...

Love the WestsTigers
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by Love the WestsTigers » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 8:18 pm

Being 2 interchanges down was always going to put a strain on the playing group

Brave effort mistake riddle though.

If we didnt get robbed by the ref with a dud call we may have finished winners

Earl
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 9:06 pm

05TIGZ wrote:
Sun 16 Jul, 2017 8:01 pm
Don't mind a loss when the boys rip in. A bit of luck and the result could have been so different. If we can beat the eels next week, I will be content for the rest of the year.
Yep. We also look like we are playing footy.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 196 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 9:10 pm

Earl wrote:
Sun 16 Jul, 2017 9:06 pm
05TIGZ wrote:
Sun 16 Jul, 2017 8:01 pm
Yep. We also look like we are playing footy.
Yeah...this /\ /\

Good to see a bit of all round improvement, attack, defense (at times) and overall attitude
We competed for 80 with a likely top 4 team ...disappointing result but positive signs

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 9:37 pm

I must admit Cleary has really turned this team around from the rabble he inherited.Naturally we are not winning as many games as anyone would like but the team puts in which is all i can ask for.The team seems to take far more pride in their efforts and as a supporter i can see far more positives than i have seen in years.
Thank you Ivan

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 11:45 pm

WT fans should be proud of the team today, a few stupid errors and some hopeless refs decisions cost us victory.
Disappointed Ivan didn't have a whinge about some of the decisions today, particularly the Brooks "knock on". It worked for Barrett today after last weeks rant. WT just seem happy to gloss over it unlike most other clubs, perhaps they don't want to be viewed as sore losers.

jirskyr
Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 10:44 am

If we can defend for 80 we can win these games. We cannot afford to go to water when the opposition gets some repeat sets or lucky calls, we cannot afford to let in 3 tries in 15 minutes ever if we want to really compete for the Top 8.

Attack yesterday was alright, not great but we probed and asked plenty of questions, the finishing needs work. But until we can halt those opposition runs, e.g. for Uate to just breeze through and break the back of the game, it's like Cronulla and Storm all over again.

hammertime
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by hammertime » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 10:51 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 16 Jul, 2017 11:45 pm
WT fans should be proud of the team today, a few stupid errors and some hopeless refs decisions cost us victory.
Disappointed Ivan didn't have a whinge about some of the decisions today, particularly the Brooks "knock on". It worked for Barrett today after last weeks rant. WT just seem happy to gloss over it unlike most other clubs, perhaps they don't want to be viewed as sore losers.
As to whinging, I think it's more so trying to build some mental toughness and ownership of the loss mate. As soon as you put it on the refs, there is a risk the players may start to drop their heads or lash out on field when things don't go their way again. Not something we want.

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 11:10 am

Fade To Black wrote:
Sun 16 Jul, 2017 11:45 pm
Well written. I was very pleased with our team today especially the impact our two halves had on the game.

ricksen
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by ricksen » Mon 17 Jul, 2017 11:11 am

I agree in that the effort was great. We copped some iffy calls, played the majority of the game with 15 and made far too many errors. To be still in the game in that last 10 mins was pretty strong.
We're still too mentally fragile at times. How many times have we conceded back to back tries this year? Seems we do it every week at least once.
As Ivan said, we still didn't finish our sets well enough either.

Return to “Round 19: Wests Tigers vs Manly Sea Eagles”