Attack

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Attack

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:51 am

This may have been covered in the game thread but give it a flog. During last night's game so many times they take the wrong option when down near the line. Woods is so slow it is useless giving it to him to break through because they can grab him so easily, yes he eventually did get over but it's rare. Other occasions they will go back in the middle when there are gaps and overlaps on the outside - isn't the dummy half or halves looking where the defence is and isn't?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)


User avatar
Tbone
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1055
Joined: Mon 04 Jul, 2011 5:07 pm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Tbone » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 2:38 am

Your Robbie references are becoming more and more subtle.

User avatar
kh_canada
Member
Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: Tue 12 Jun, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by kh_canada » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 6:43 am

I'm no guru when it comes to attacking formations but don't the forwards also play a role in straightening up the attack too? Not every play is about trying to score, it also sets up the next play, forces the defence to slide and creates gaps and overlaps on the fringes.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 6:45 am

Tbone wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 2:38 am
Your Robbie references are becoming more and more subtle.
I got backed up by W Lewis yesterday before the game that DH is the most important job on the field. Look how Peats was only average - no brilliant kicking to make the game more exciting and to confuse the opposition. Such limited players should not be tolerated in NRL. The same goes for halves, for the money they are on about $20,000 per game, if they can't perform good grubbers then shoo them out BECAUSE theses things can be practised almost privately in extra time. I imagine it is being taught when teenage players so they have years to perfect it.

Admit it , weren't you also screaming mid first half when they could not get over the line due to poor direction? They looked like if they were chasing an excuse not to go over the line.

I am beginning to think that RL is similar strategy to chess - control the centre and you will win a lot more than you will lose.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

User avatar
Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Masterton » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:07 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 6:45 am
Tbone wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 2:38 am
Your Robbie references are becoming more and more subtle.
I got backed up by W Lewis yesterday before the game that DH is the most important job on the field. Look how Peats was only average - no brilliant kicking to make the game more exciting and to confuse the opposition. Such limited players should not be tolerated in NRL. The same goes for halves, for the money they are on about $20,000 per game, if they can't perform good grubbers then shoo them out BECAUSE theses things can be practised almost privately in extra time. I imagine it is being taught when teenage players so they have years to perfect it.

Admit it , weren't you also screaming mid first half when they could not get over the line due to poor direction? They looked like if they were chasing an excuse not to go over the line.

I am beginning to think that RL is similar strategy to chess - control the centre and you will win a lot more than you will lose.
I'm curious to see how long your Farah obsession will last. That's not intended as a criticism. I'm honestly curious if you'll still be banging on after he's retired.

FWIW, I was the same about Teddy, but I'm moving on.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."


Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:12 am

We were really good in the second half and the first try we scored was quality. Our attack was good.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:19 am

Masterton wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:07 am
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 6:45 am
Tbone wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 2:38 am
Your Robbie references are becoming more and more subtle.
I got backed up by W Lewis yesterday before the game that DH is the most important job on the field. Look how Peats was only average - no brilliant kicking to make the game more exciting and to confuse the opposition. Such limited players should not be tolerated in NRL. The same goes for halves, for the money they are on about $20,000 per game, if they can't perform good grubbers then shoo them out BECAUSE theses things can be practised almost privately in extra time. I imagine it is being taught when teenage players so they have years to perfect it.

Admit it , weren't you also screaming mid first half when they could not get over the line due to poor direction? They looked like if they were chasing an excuse not to go over the line.

I am beginning to think that RL is similar strategy to chess - control the centre and you will win a lot more than you will lose.
I'm curious to see how long your Farah obsession will last. That's not intended as a criticism. I'm honestly curious if you'll still be banging on after he's retired.

FWIW, I was the same about Teddy, but I'm moving on.
But Teddy hasn't gone yet and we are not missing his play yet.
It is just that I just don't enjoy a game if there is not an active creative dummy half - I sort of feel short changed waiting for some magic to happen. Back door Benny used to create mayhem as well, as did Ennis - you don't put duds in the most important posi on the field. A monkey could have done what Peats does - and again the other day he did not attempt to chase down a player scoring ( I know this thread is about attacking), he did the ruddy same in SOO.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:46 am

BBF - Peats is a pretty ordinary player. Does that make you happy. We also should have kept Robbie and we definitely shouldn't have shafted him. Again does that make you feel happy.

I'll add that Robbie is also not performing that well though. I tend to watch him and he still has the dud hog play in him that I think has stopped him from becoming a great player. The difference between Peats and Robbie is not significant. I think on a value for money basis McIlwrick is better than both of them and Liddle may already be a better player than both of them. The overall standard for dummy halves in NSW is pretty low.

Byron Bay Fan
Member
Member
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sat 17 Oct, 2015 2:14 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:53 am

I can't recall McIlwrick doing the kicks yet but I certainly hope he is practising them. I could not fault him yesterday. whose fault was it yesterday that the ball was often going in the wrong direction in the first half when near the line?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 1857
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 42 times

Unread post by Telltails » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 8:08 am

Peats very lucky to become the current SOO at a time when NSW just doesnt seem to have any real great performers in such a critical role. So you take chances when they come.Allowed him to escape much scrutiny after the series too cause there are really no players challenging him at this point.

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by TIGER » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 2:34 pm

Brooks out the back to Lolohea out the back to Teddy is our attack, that's all we've got, both sides of the field.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 143 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 3:10 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:51 am
This may have been covered in the game thread but give it a flog. During last night's game so many times they take the wrong option when down near the line. Woods is so slow it is useless giving it to him to break through because they can grab him so easily, yes he eventually did get over but it's rare. Other occasions they will go back in the middle when there are gaps and overlaps on the outside - isn't the dummy half or halves looking where the defence is and isn't?
Chose an ordinary game to bag Woods. I have been super critical of him of late but he was having a proper dig like a prop should yesterday.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16125
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 143 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 3:12 pm

And McIlwrick takes his chances when they present themselves, when the markers aren't square or the defenders aren't getting back to the line he generally runs out of DH and tries to exploit it. He only tries to create something when the opportunity presents itself.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1726
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 3:34 pm

Kicking high to don might have worked once but my god did we overdo it all what?

shane2801
Member
Member
Posts: 730
Joined: Wed 18 May, 2011 8:05 pm
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by shane2801 » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 3:41 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:51 am
This may have been covered in the game thread but give it a flog. During last night's game so many times they take the wrong option when down near the line. Woods is so slow it is useless giving it to him to break through because they can grab him so easily, yes he eventually did get over but it's rare. Other occasions they will go back in the middle when there are gaps and overlaps on the outside - isn't the dummy half or halves looking where the defence is and isn't?
What about in the 1st half when Woods caught the ball after the GC kicked downfield? How slow did he run it back?? Worst ever
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 3:46 pm

shane2801 wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 3:41 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 12:51 am
This may have been covered in the game thread but give it a flog. During last night's game so many times they take the wrong option when down near the line. Woods is so slow it is useless giving it to him to break through because they can grab him so easily, yes he eventually did get over but it's rare. Other occasions they will go back in the middle when there are gaps and overlaps on the outside - isn't the dummy half or halves looking where the defence is and isn't?
What about in the 1st half when Woods caught the ball after the GC kicked downfield? How slow did he run it back?? Worst ever
It was really ordinary wasn't it.

yeti
Member
Member
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:38 pm
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by yeti » Mon 31 Jul, 2017 4:04 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Mon 31 Jul, 2017 7:53 am
I can't recall McIlwrick doing the kicks yet but I certainly hope he is practising them. I could not fault him yesterday. whose fault was it yesterday that the ball was often going in the wrong direction in the first half when near the line?
McIlwrick does have limitations in attack, but his defence is absolutely outstanding. Unlike our previous hooker who would make the grab and be pushed backwards another 10 to 15 metres, McIlwrick stops them dead. Personally, good service from DH and tight middle defence is as valuable as a 'creative' hooker. Very few hookers have the lot - Smith is on his own here and even his defence is not as effective as Macs.

Post Reply

Return to “Round 21: Wests Tigers vs Gold Coast Titans”