Brooks is no good

Lukic
Member
Member
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 4:03 pm
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Brooks is no good

Unread post by Lukic » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:41 am

Brooks is a utility player who should thicken up and try to craft out a career as a reserve grade half and occasional bench hooker.


User avatar
vlad
Member
Member
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:56 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 27 times

Unread post by vlad » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:00 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 2:49 am
Knuckles wrote:
Sun 06 Aug, 2017 6:37 pm
Be interesting to see how long Cleary perseveres with Brooks in 2018 ..... he just hasn't got it at first grade level.
Til we buy someone better. Brooks is still a better number 7 than Littlejohn, and Reynolds and Lolohea are both 5/8ths. For the moment Brooks is our best option and not on a helluva lot of money for a half these days.

Brooks will be on a flight to England if we do sign a real halfback.

In the meantime he will look better once we get a decent pack around him.
If Brooks could be moved on to the UK we'd have more than enough spare $$ to get Cronk for 2 years until Nathan arrives . Pretty sure that Cronk's manager is also the manager of Ivan .

tigerbill
Member
Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue 11 Sep, 2012 3:03 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by tigerbill » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:01 am

Shows how damaging a poor kicker is to his own side. The forwards tire so fast with Brooks' kicking right into the opposition or bombs taken in the goal line.

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2219
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:29 am

Cosimo_Zaretti wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 2:49 am
Knuckles wrote:
Sun 06 Aug, 2017 6:37 pm
Be interesting to see how long Cleary perseveres with Brooks in 2018 ..... he just hasn't got it at first grade level.
Til we buy someone better. Brooks is still a better number 7 than Littlejohn, and Reynolds and Lolohea are both 5/8ths. For the moment Brooks is our best option and not on a helluva lot of money for a half these days.

Brooks will be on a flight to England if we do sign a real halfback.

In the meantime he will look better once we get a decent pack around him.
I still don't think a better pack will make a difference. His decision making needs to improve if he is going to control the side. Another pack wont change that. It may be that his skills are limited to the point that he has no real choice with his decision making and so does the same things over and over.
"Quality Stupidity"

The Old Fox
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun 09 Jul, 2017 5:33 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by The Old Fox » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:39 am

The problem for next year is, I don't think Renyolds is much better. Neither of them can execute a long pass like Lolo did yesterday and their 5th tackle kicks are only ordinary... Maybe switch them around and let Brooks play a style of running game more off the cuff and let Renyolds control the forwards with structure..Liddle might be the next great white hope, we need another up and coming Robbie Farah, this kid just might be one to step up on 5th tackle and take the pressure off the other two?


tigerfanatic
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu 16 Feb, 2017 10:41 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by tigerfanatic » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:48 am

Brooks is waiting for matulino and packer to arrive so he can get his kicking game in order

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:18 am

tigerfanatic wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:48 am
Brooks is waiting for matulino and packer to arrive so he can get his kicking game in order
This argument really doesn't cut it does it.

The Old Fox
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun 09 Jul, 2017 5:33 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by The Old Fox » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:23 am

Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:18 am
tigerfanatic wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:48 am
Brooks is waiting for matulino and packer to arrive so he can get his kicking game in order
This argument really doesn't cut it does it.
I think it's sarcasm Earl.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4957
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:27 am

Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:18 am
tigerfanatic wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:48 am
Brooks is waiting for matulino and packer to arrive so he can get his kicking game in order
This argument really doesn't cut it does it.
Brooks has had 3 NRL seasons to get his kicking game in order....do you really think Pacalino will improve it.??.doubt it..Brooks would be better off practicing his kicking game everyday until next season kick off,that may help,or he just doesn't cut it at NRL level...
Unfortunately the club backed overhyped potential rather than proven talent...and apparently it has failed so far... :roll:
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

The Old Fox
Member
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun 09 Jul, 2017 5:33 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by The Old Fox » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:54 am

I'll attempt to make an excuse for Brooks but take it easy on me, I'm an old man with a bad heart.... it's all about the bigger picture which is next year..

I think Brooks is under direct instructions from Cleary to step up and take charge on 5th tackle because lolo will be in the 1 next year so why give it to him and fair enough.. this type of pressure is new Brooks and he's not coping with it all..in fact, he was a better kicker in his first season. Remember those little kicks back to Teddy?

.I think things will be different next year with Liddle and Renyolds there..the pressure will be off Brooks on the last..... with the occasional off the cuff 5th tackle play of which I think will suit him better.

Best I can do, don't throw eggs, I'd rather tomatoes.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 83 times

Unread post by Earl » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:03 am

I don't think Brooks is as bad as what is stated. His try yesterday was great. His running game can be unreal. I honestly think his kicking game isn't that bad. I think his defence is actually pretty good for a half.

I think the issue is that he has a fair few mistakes in his game but so do a lot of halves but that we need someone to step up and win us games desperately.

I didn't think Nathan Cleary who I rate highly was much better than Brooks apart from his goal kicking.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 2354
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:10 am

Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:03 am
I don't think Brooks is as bad as what is stated. His try yesterday was great. His running game can be unreal. I honestly think his kicking game isn't that bad. I think his defence is actually pretty good for a half.

I think the issue is that he has a fair few mistakes in his game but so do a lot of halves but that we need someone to step up and win us games desperately.

I didn't think Nathan Cleary who I rate highly was much better than Brooks apart from his goal kicking.
Pretty fair comment Earl. We have wider issues with major deficiencies in our roster. Twal to me demonstrated what we have sadly been lacking, passion. Brooks' game can only improve with a 190cm Suli chasing high kicks rather than a 178cm Kev.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 24968
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 336 times

Unread post by Geo. » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:46 am

TrueTiger wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:27 am
Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:18 am
tigerfanatic wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:48 am
Brooks is waiting for matulino and packer to arrive so he can get his kicking game in order
This argument really doesn't cut it does it.
Brooks has had 3 NRL seasons to get his kicking game in order....do you really think Pacalino will improve it.??.doubt it..Brooks would be better off practicing his kicking game everyday until next season kick off,that may help,or he just doesn't cut it at NRL level...
Unfortunately the club backed overhyped potential rather than proven talent...and apparently it has failed so far... :roll:
Yeah makes you question why Cleary didn't pull Brooks contract like he did for Moses rather than tabling a new one...Surely Cleary can see what a dud Brooks is...there are plenty of other options he could have gone with..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6410
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:46 am

Still think Brooks is being hampered by dicky Hamstrings. He just doesn't seem confident in stretching out or extending his leg when kicking. Could be 100% wrong, but just my impression. I remember in the u20s he kicked a bag of 40/20s, but they have been few and far between in the top grade, okay in the NRL the back three can defend the long kicking game way better than in the u20s, but he just doesn't seem to have the distance anymore

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4957
Joined: Thu 14 Aug, 2014 11:22 am
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 51 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:47 am

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:10 am
Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:03 am
I don't think Brooks is as bad as what is stated. His try yesterday was great. His running game can be unreal. I honestly think his kicking game isn't that bad. I think his defence is actually pretty good for a half.

I think the issue is that he has a fair few mistakes in his game but so do a lot of halves but that we need someone to step up and win us games desperately.

I didn't think Nathan Cleary who I rate highly was much better than Brooks apart from his goal kicking.
Pretty fair comment Earl. We have wider issues with major deficiencies in our roster. Twal to me demonstrated what we have sadly been lacking, passion. Brooks' game can only improve with a 190cm Suli chasing high kicks rather than a 178cm Kev.
That's the thing though PandC,Ivan even admitted in his presser yesterday that the kicking game isn't at the level it should be,it beggars the question why hasn't Brooks developed and worked on his kicking and fifth tackle options,he has had 3 full NRL seasons to make some sort of improvement,yet it is not what it should be...I really don't want to bag out Brooks,but he showed in NYC how potentially talented he was and the club stuck by him,however the step up to the big arena seems to be out of his league and is not taking hold of the games and steering the team around the park the way he should be..

If the arguement is that the rest of the team isn't good enough,then he should be a standout performer and giving it his all to show them how to play to the gameplan and structures..
After all he is the lead playmaker...if Killer is slow at giving dh service then Brooks should be yelling at him to pull his finger out,if the backline is flat and not positioning themselves properly in attack,then Brooks should be yelling at them to get set for the next move...these are the things a good halfback should be doing during the games,but he seems to shy and in his shell to take hold of the team and control the game..
Once again I could be completely wrong as the game has changed since I played,but it is still rugby league,a team game with a playmaker setting up the plays in attack and defence being a whole team effort...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 6895
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by hobbo » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:54 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:46 am
TrueTiger wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:27 am
Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:18 am
tigerfanatic wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 6:48 am
Brooks is waiting for matulino and packer to arrive so he can get his kicking game in order
This argument really doesn't cut it does it.
Brooks has had 3 NRL seasons to get his kicking game in order....do you really think Pacalino will improve it.??.doubt it..Brooks would be better off practicing his kicking game everyday until next season kick off,that may help,or he just doesn't cut it at NRL level...
Unfortunately the club backed overhyped potential rather than proven talent...and apparently it has failed so far... :roll:
Yeah makes you question why Cleary didn't pull Brooks contract like he did for Moses rather than tabling a new one...Surely Cleary can see what a dud Brooks is...there are plenty of other options he could have gone with..
Looks like we could have another dud coach on our hands hey Geo !
Picks JLJ on the bench ...plays zero minutes ...
Sheenius !
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 16088
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 9:02 am

hobbo wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:54 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:46 am
TrueTiger wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:27 am
Earl wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:18 am


This argument really doesn't cut it does it.
Brooks has had 3 NRL seasons to get his kicking game in order....do you really think Pacalino will improve it.??.doubt it..Brooks would be better off practicing his kicking game everyday until next season kick off,that may help,or he just doesn't cut it at NRL level...
Unfortunately the club backed overhyped potential rather than proven talent...and apparently it has failed so far... :roll:
Yeah makes you question why Cleary didn't pull Brooks contract like he did for Moses rather than tabling a new one...Surely Cleary can see what a dud Brooks is...there are plenty of other options he could have gone with..
Looks like we could have another dud coach on our hands hey Geo !
Picks JLJ on the bench ...plays zero minutes ...
Sheenius !
Have you thought of a nickname for our new coach yet?
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 6895
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by hobbo » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 9:28 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 9:02 am
hobbo wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:54 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 8:46 am
TrueTiger wrote:
Mon 07 Aug, 2017 7:27 am


Brooks has had 3 NRL seasons to get his kicking game in order....do you really think Pacalino will improve it.??.doubt it..Brooks would be better off practicing his kicking game everyday until next season kick off,that may help,or he just doesn't cut it at NRL level...
Unfortunately the club backed overhyped potential rather than proven talent...and apparently it has failed so far... :roll:
Yeah makes you question why Cleary didn't pull Brooks contract like he did for Moses rather than tabling a new one...Surely Cleary can see what a dud Brooks is...there are plenty of other options he could have gone with..
Looks like we could have another dud coach on our hands hey Geo !
Picks JLJ on the bench ...plays zero minutes ...
Sheenius !
Have you thought of a nickname for our new coach yet?
Nah not yet , but if he keeps on playing a 16 man squad each week I'll come up with something .
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

Post Reply

Return to “Round 22: Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers”