Tigers undecided over halfback role

bonstonker

Re: Tigers undecided over halfback role

Post by bonstonker » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 4:13 pm

Kaiser wrote:
We have PLENTY of outside backs, so i don't think wasting Lote on the wing is wise (maybe for the first few rounds, but not the season).
i don't see lote on the wing as a waste if he can turn chances into points.
i really hope he stays there all year,which would probably mean lui and moltz are doing the job for us.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 4:56 pm

bonstonker wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
We have PLENTY of outside backs, so i don't think wasting Lote on the wing is wise (maybe for the first few rounds, but not the season).
i really hope he stays there all year,which would probably mean lui and moltz are doing the job for us.
Yep, if Lote stays on the wing, then it means our young guns are firing, and thats exactly what we want. Lote can be hugely involved from the wing, so i dont see it as a waste either.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 5:04 pm

bonstonker wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
Yes thats true,
you couldnt say Taniela was a waste on the wing last year..

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 5:12 pm

its a no brainer moltz to halfback and the rest will flow .....

Tigers 2010

Post by Tigers 2010 » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 6:00 pm

benjibrotown wrote:
bonstonker wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
Yes thats true,
you couldnt say Taniela was a waste on the wing last year..
Agreed, and Lote is big enough to take a hit up or two - give the forwards a break...

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 6:10 pm

what a beautiful problem to have at this stage of the season.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm glad Sheens realises that Lui isn't ready and i hope Moltzen plays half because i don't care about how good Lui might be all i know is Moltzen is all footballer, he's just got that something special about him.
Let Lui spend some more time in the lower grades and if he's really improved the way everyone has been saying and he's carving up then give him a shot, but lets see it first.
Anyway there's no use in having two halves in the side that can't tackle.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:44 pm

Lazarus is my pick for round 1 halfback to be perfectly honest.

Arana is still up and down with off field discipline at this stage from all reports and Lazarus has played halfback for the majority of his footballing career. He has a true tactical kicking game to match his passing and running game. Defensively he is always commited and has good technique. The only concern is returning from two major injuries.

Arana is comeone I could see as our impact utility or even a winger as he does have remarkable pace

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 2:31 am

Is anyone here of the disbelief that WT have not settled on a halfback yet?

The Fonz is struggling.

MOLTZEN Fonz, MOLTZEN !! C'mon !!!!
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

lathami

Post by lathami » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 6:28 am

Wake up!
Do you guys have any idea Moltzen, Moltzen, Moltzen thats all you can say. Lui will go great there give him time he has all the skills, most importantly time with the ball which is a good offset to benjis game, he can kick and he has good strength. So much so that last year i was leaving the pub early to watch U20's because of him. He is 19 that is old enough if you are good enough, stop dribbling he will be a gun. Arana has not proven anything yet so much so that the fonz has picked good for nothing fitzhenry ahead of him. The other option a guy with 2 major injuries earlier ahead of Lui, again got no idea. Moltzen is good dont get me wrong but at the moment he is best served at full back, with the loss of tui and how thin we are in the outside backs that we have daniela and brown as contestants for first grade.
Remember lots of people were saying the same thing about moltzen two years ago. Cut some slack!
Come on guys get a grip.......
I just hope i have not jinxed him on this post

Tigers 2010

Post by Tigers 2010 » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 6:43 am

smeghead wrote:Lazarus is my pick for round 1 halfback to be perfectly honest.

Arana is still up and down with off field discipline at this stage from all reports and Lazarus has played halfback for the majority of his footballing career. He has a true tactical kicking game to match his passing and running game. Defensively he is always commited and has good technique. The only concern is returning from two major injuries.

Arana is comeone I could see as our impact utility or even a winger as he does have remarkable pace
Where are your reports about Arana's current behaviour coming from? I have heard the complete opposite and that he is doing his best to get his life together. Lazarus has no chance of being a round 1 starter - massive smokie - Lui, Arana and Moltz would all need to be injured...

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:45 am

Balmain Bug wrote:Is anyone here of the disbelief that WT have not settled on a halfback yet?

The Fonz is struggling.

MOLTZEN Fonz, MOLTZEN !! C'mon !!!!
Not at all. When u have a number of talented guys like Lui, Moltzen, Arana and Lazarus all vying for positions, why not give them a go? Maybe Lui will be a superstar and Moltzen will kill it at 1. I have no problem with Sheens trying things rather than just being pig headed like he was with Morris. Im certainly not comparing Moltzen to Morris, but the point im making is that we know what a Moltzen/Marshall combo can do, but maybe a Lui/Marshall/Moltzen combo could be even better. Lui seems to have impressed big time and his long kicking game is unmatched. If he can do things a little quicker and improve his defence like Lawrence did, then he could be the man.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:48 am

smeghead wrote:Lazarus is my pick for round 1 halfback to be perfectly honest.

If u really have Lazarus in the mix after 2 years out with 2 knee reconstructions, then he must be some sort of player. Wouldnt it be a great story if he did nail the 7 and never looked back. I dont care who ends up at 7 as long as they do the job we need them to do.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 9:56 am

I just love the fact that we have valid options in the halves!
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:01 am

bonstonker wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
True bon, but i just think if the refs stick true to their promise of ensuring the fullbacks are given a chance to run the ball back.... he'll be devastating when returning the football and give us some yardage to get a roll on in the forwards...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

Alwaysownyou

Post by Alwaysownyou » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:22 am

Moltzen just HAS to be our halfback. I can't believe the fossil is contemplating other scenarios. Another reason why this guy has to get the boot!
MOTH and proud.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:27 am

Kaiser wrote:
bonstonker wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
True bon, but i just think if the refs stick true to their promise of ensuring the fullbacks are given a chance to run the ball back.... he'll be devastating when returning the football and give us some yardage to get a roll on in the forwards...
he will also get that opportunity on the wing
i do see the value of him at fullback and even centre.
i would be interested to see how much a defense focuses on lote at centre and the holes that could open up for lui because of lote outside him.

at this point i still think if lui can show good consistent form at half there will be no reason to think of playing lote at fullback.
it seems lui is impressing with his skills and it will probably come down to one thing,can lui defend week in week out in the nrl .

Footy Head Goodness

Post by Footy Head Goodness » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 12:35 pm

Issue is that Moltzen is our best option for 1 and 7. And fitting everyone in WITHOUT putting people in irregular spots is going to get hard once all are fit. I really hope that Lui develops as a 7 to become our best option there. That would solve a few issues. Round 1 for mine =

1. Moltzen
2. Lote
3. Lawrence
4. Ayshford
5. Ryan
6. Marshall
7. Lui

Gives us 1 speed and 1 size for each wing/centre pairing. When Tui comes back we have a bit of a log jam and it will depend on who is going best out of Ryan, Ayshford and Lui as to who gets cut and what the make up ends up. Unless Sheens decides its best for Tui or Ayshford to be our lock.