Sheens works on bigger picture as Tigers strengthen numbers

willow

Post by willow » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 9:47 am

GLENN JACKSON
February 20, 2010
Master plan ... Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens.

It is difficult to admit but Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens is sure of it: even after the 2005 premiership, his was a club the game's stars did not want a bar of.

But Sheens believes the tide at the Tigers is turning, and the signing of Lote Tuqiri, following that of Englishman Gareth Ellis last year, proves that.

Sheens, the most experienced coach in the game, has revealed that Tuqiri is the second of three representative players he has earmarked for the club, as his players strive to reach the finals for the first time since that premiership triumph.

''There's a bit more than just signing a player. This is a plan,'' Sheens said. ''I said to [former chief executive] Steve Noyce before he left the club, we want him to sign a senior player each year for three years.''

Sheens believed that in order for the promising youngsters at the club, such as Blake Ayshford, Tim Moltzen and Chris Lawrence, to prosper, they would need experienced and preferably representative-class players alongside them. He looked as far as England, to Ellis, primarily because the best players in this country were not biting.

''It's been a test of us to try and get to that point, to get people who would say, 'Yeah, I'd go there,' because they wouldn't come here originally, not the superstar players,'' Sheens said.

''That's why we went to England in the first place. We still weren't that attractive to players, and we didn't have the money … but we've gradually built our finances and gradually built our organisation to a point where we are now credible.

''We weren't credible here five years ago. We won a premiership, and everyone said it was a fluke - you don't fluke a premiership, but people still assumed it was.

''We weren't maligned, but we certainly weren't flavour of the month. We had limited finances, limited set-up. But we've gradually built each year to get stronger and stronger.''

The coach said the signing of Tuqiri was a sign that the club's credibility was improving. ''I think we're pulling ourselves out of that,'' he said.

Sheens has shortlisted six players to become the third and last piece of the jigsaw, but said the players were in no particular order yet. He intends to observe who emerges from his squad before setting his sights on his next key signing. ''But we want to be sure it's a current rep player or a player playing at that level,'' he said.

Sheens admitted to frustrations at being unable to reach a finals series since 2005, and there had been discontent among Tigers supporters. However, he will not accept a token finals appearance just to fling the growing monkey off his back.

''It's not just to bring us to a semi-final standard team, but to a team that might actually do something if you get there,'' Sheens said. ''We're criticised for not being there … but injuries and other issues, and lots of reasons, no excuses, and we haven't got there.

''But when we do, I want to be able to say we're a chance.''

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:06 am

Suprised we will have money to sign another rep player next year, good to see he is keeping his word.
Last edited by Granto87 on Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:11 am

good work by sheens and his co. to ge us where we are today. the future looks bright. Maybe like Nocey said we will be the Manchester United of the NRL. This is just the beginning.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:14 pm

Hmmm...What sort of masterplan only lasts for 1 year..............

Unless.......
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

tiga4eva

Post by tiga4eva » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:44 pm

I think we can take it as gospel that Sheens will be re-signed.I'm assuming he's persuaded a Kangaroo from the UK tour to join us next season. I'll predict that it will be Gallen.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 1:54 pm

Dead set IMO SHeensie is the best thing that has happened to our club.....when he talks,he makes soooo much sense,its not footy dribble,and I soooo listen.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 1:59 pm

simonthetiger wrote:Dead set IMO SHeensie is the best thing that has happened to our club.....when he talks,he makes soooo much sense,its not footy dribble,and I soooo listen.
Yep,just like those folks up on Macquarie St,Sheens "TALKS" a good story, but hasnt delivered much in quite a few years.
2010 will be a watershed for him & the club

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 2:08 pm

What do want do yo mean he hasnt delivered you clown.....stars want to play for us,we have won the comp.

We are a top shelf side onand of the field.
Im sick of having to defend a bloke that is a legend.,

BRET

Post by BRET » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 2:13 pm

He doesn't need defending - his results speak for themselves. Let's hope with this contract extension he walks the talk.
The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that
whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.

-Vince Lombardi

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 2:16 pm

He does need defending.....he has got us back into the game....yet cops crap from interent hero's.

s*** me no end.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 3:47 pm

Only close friends, relatives & serious cave dwellers could defend his record over the past 4 years...like most" legends" he's trading on past deeds...lets see what he does this year.
..& please Mr Humphreys,dont sign him up for a long term gig without having put some results rather than promises on the board ,starting with 2010.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 4:15 pm

Funny cos even without the comp,I see the overall picture,and you must be an idiot if you cant see how well we are travelling,

Watch a game on Tuesday night if youdont believe me.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sat 20 Feb, 2010 4:53 pm

simonthetiger wrote:Funny cos even without the comp,I see the overall picture,and you must be an idiot if you cant see how well we are travelling,

Jeez..the trials havent even started yet to ascertain "how well were travelling"...!
Tues nite games are replays of history..lets hope for all our sakes(& most importantly Sheens)that the past 4 years of history doesnt repeat itself.
Like all supporters i sincerely hope we do succeed this year,but if another missed finals then the guy cant hang forever on to his one success the past decade.
Hopefully the Board is a little more objective about this than some of the blinkered folk on this website

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:22 am

Spin!!!!! the pressures on ,no more excuces .

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:19 am

simonthetiger wrote:Dead set IMO SHeensie is the best thing that has happened to our club.....when he talks,he makes soooo much sense,its not footy dribble,and I soooo listen.

:lol:

The Fonz has the poorest win/loss ratio of any coach in the NRL. He has the highest percentages of game losses than anyone.

Care to comment further Simonthetiger?
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:39 am

simonthetiger wrote:Funny cos even without the comp,I see the overall picture,and you must be an idiot if you cant see how well we are travelling,

Chooseday night?

You continually refer back to the 90's.
Its now the 21st century simon...come join us.
Anything - even the Magpies was better than balmain circa: 1990's

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm

Balmain Bug wrote:

:lol:

The Fonz has the poorest win/loss ratio of any coach in the NRL. He has the highest percentages of game losses than anyone.

Care to comment further Simonthetiger?
but how does that relate to the position wests tigers are in today. whats steve folkes doing here, whats tuqiri doing here, who else is coming - so you see balmin bug i dont see the connection with the loss win ratio when i see where our club is today. no connection whatsoever.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 2:32 pm

:lol: Did you write that sentence mate or was it your daughter?