FOUNDATION CUP Live Game Thread

Kul

Re: FOUNDATION CUP Live Game Thread

Post by Kul » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:35 pm

It defiantly was a trial game, that's for sure.

The team chopped and changed every five or ten minutes. One moment it would be Lawrence at 5/8th, the next minute Lui is running it. Forwards were coming and going; hard to set-up any rhythm.

We definitely have size, I just think that Lui (although he was much more confident compared to last year) isn't the answer for halfback.
Fulton was good, lots of nice hits and probed well.
Lawrence is looking much better without the leg injury that he was having last year.
Brown will be good on the wing

Whilst I'm not concerned about the result, Sheens should pick a tighter team next week and aim for a BIG win, otherwise i'd be concerned.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:46 pm

Kul wrote:When I say lui was a standout, I meanthat compared to last season he has definantly improved.
I thought Lui was very average tonight.. also thought Moltzen was pretty average.
The standouts for mine were Fulton and Lawrence.

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:48 pm

Everyone needs to chill out. this time last year we were all talking about who would play fullback, everyone wanted gallant, but sheens was also mentioning lazarus and Mcdonnell in any and every interview. Then came the season proper and moltzen was the fullback.

I doubt the halves combination that was out there tonight will be the halves combination that will take the field round one.

The whole point of a trial is to let players get some game time under their belts, get a feel of the combinations and work their way into the season.
it wouldn't surprise me if moltzen is 7 benji is 6 and mullaney gets first crack at fullback with tiquiri on the wing come round one.

Only sheens, his staff and the players know what's going to be the likely make up of the team for the start of the season proper, but if you are all going to get this worked up over a trial then god helps us all it's going to be another long season of whinging on this forum.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:54 pm

BeeJay wrote:Everyone needs to chill out. this time last year we were all talking about who would play fullback, everyone wanted gallant, but sheens was also mentioning lazarus and Mcdonnell in any and every interview. Then came the season proper and moltzen was the fullback.

I doubt the halves combination that was out there tonight will be the halves combination that will take the field round one.

The whole point of a trial is to let players get some game time under their belts, get a feel of the combinations and work their way into the season.
it wouldn't surprise me if moltzen is 7 benji is 6 and mullaney gets first crack at fullback with tiquiri on the wing come round one.

Only sheens, his staff and the players know what's going to be the likely make up of the team for the start of the season proper, but if you are all going to get this worked up over a trial then god helps us all it's going to be another long season of whinging on this forum.

:lol: nice post Tim.....that combo you listed will be at thousands.....

tiger sean

Post by tiger sean » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:56 pm

I know it's only a trial but I also don't think Lui is ready for first grade.
I hope this trial proved that and the neccessary changes will be made for round one.

thommo

Post by thommo » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:56 pm

Lui must be doing some crazy stuff at training, cos he certainly hasn't shown any of that "freakish" ability on the field yet
He seems like he is in two minds every time he takes the ball, doesn't know if he wants to run it or pass it. Subsequently he ends up doing neither.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 8:58 pm

Well very interesting to read the posts about the game.....i suppose the highlite is no injuries! other than that it was a poor performance unfortunatly it,s not going to matter who our backs are as our forward pack will be dominated in most games ..Fulton was totally dominated in attack ( to light)as with Hieno you can't have both these players in the same team.Lui whatever another experiment that will be left to the death to change .. yes it,s only a trail but the lack of go forward was huge. After all the Spin & Hipe i,ve been left a bit SURPRISED actually... was expecting a better effort regardless who was playing .

Novocastrian Tiger

Post by Novocastrian Tiger » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:00 pm

BeeJay wrote:Everyone needs to chill out. this time last year we were all talking about who would play fullback, everyone wanted gallant, but sheens was also mentioning lazarus and Mcdonnell in any and every interview. Then came the season proper and moltzen was the fullback.

Did Mullaney even play today, if he did, how did he go?
It starts and ends with the Tiger!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:02 pm

So the verdict on Robert Lui is he was either brilliant and should be first picked or a complete failure who would be lucky to play state cup... Or maybe in reality he was somewhere in between...

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:02 pm

Fulton and Heigno have been dominated for years now, i can't see where the improvement comes from with these two.

thommo

Post by thommo » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:03 pm

Mona Lolesi wrote:Lui was pathetic and fultons highlight was him throwing up on the field.
I agree. Fulton looks like he's bulked up, but he's still too small.
It's a shame, because he has a go and has nice hands.

Lui just doesnt cut it.

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:03 pm

will Cayless be in any trouble at the judiciary??

Snake

Post by Snake » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:05 pm

Cayless could be.. the replay was short but looked like the elbow was around the head can't be 100% though.

thommo

Post by thommo » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:08 pm

Yeh, from the brief replay i saw it looked he lead with the elbow

benjibrotown

Post by benjibrotown » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:11 pm

Novocastrian Tiger wrote:

Did Mullaney even play today, if he did, how did he go?
He must have been on the feild for about three and a half minutes max..
Last edited by benjibrotown on Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:12 pm

was at the game.

fulton was alright.
moltzen has seen better days
if lui is halfback it could be a long season - seems to move in slow motion
cayless should know better then smashing the kicker
ayshford was nothing special tonight
benji and robbie always scheming
brown cost us a try from a bomb
lawrence and ellis were good
heighnington is still like a pillow - he also seems to move in slow motion
didnt notice moors or flanagan
daniella didnt have much opportunity

we seemed to create more opportunities then them. Oh well, 4 - 0 roosters
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

mattc78

Post by mattc78 » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:13 pm

I know it was only a trial but for me I would rather take a gamble on a fullback rather than a halfback such as Mullany to fullback and we all know Moltzen to half this is safer than what was played tonight this way we have Moltzen at half from round 1 its no good changing things in the halfs once Tuquiri comes onboard.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:14 pm

Sheens should bite the bullet and put Moltzen at 7, Benji at 6 and Mullany at 1, till Lote is ready for 1...Lui should spend one more year learning his trade outside the NRL..he should be given at least 6-10 games in FG in 2010 to hone his skills....then next year if he's good enough...the #7 in FG is his!