Willow's match report and player review

G. Strombolli

Re: Willow's match report and player review

Post by G. Strombolli » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:16 am

Good report, Willow. I agree with it for the most part, although I think you went easy on some of the guys. Benji impressed me on two occasions, his hit - and it was a good, solid hit - on Minichiello and on one of his runs in the last quarter. Apart from that, a few passes went to ground and he carried the ball with loose hands which had the result of knocking it on or getting batted out. He needs to get it together.

Your calls on Lui and Moltzen are right. Both were average and, frankly, unimpressive.

Mullaney literally got a minute and a half of game time - as usual, we wasted a bench spot.

Geoff Daniela is tiny. It's hard to see him playing anywhere and not getting out-jumped or smashed.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:25 am

I wouldn't be getting too bent out of shape.

Trial matches are no way to gauge the season ahead. Souths do regularly do very well in their trials and being hailed as premiership contenders even before the first round... until they lose 4 out of their 5 first rounds and every realises that nothing has changed.

I wouldn't want the lads going all out and watching half the team disappear for four to five weeks with injuries because of a game that accounts for nothing toward the premiership. This game will already see Marshall out for at least a couple of weeks and Cayless probably suspended for a couple of matches as well...
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:28 am

willow wrote: Maybe I should have asked you for your thoughts on the game since you were sitting right in front of me. Instead of posting rubbish, why don't you tell us how you rated the team's performance CT?
Maybe you should've... but it seems you are too scared to make yourself known in public. Glad to see you were sitting with the F.W.O. Welcome to the bandwagon...
4. Lawrence - Got one nice pass from Lui which resulted ina try in the corner. Otherwise Lawrence did not find any open space and played at 5/8 for a bit while Marshall was off. Defence was good and he belted Ben Jones.
4. Lawrence - had a rubbish game in attack with his slide defence being the biggest concern and committing himself to his inside man on 2 or 3 occasions leaving his winger to defend 2 attackers, and dropped a few easy catches which failed to complete backline plays. Was stifled and predictable at 5/8th with inside running into the markers. One copybook tackle and quick hands to put Brown into the corner. Otherwise....average game 4/10.

One of those posts above is facts of events, the other one utter biased garbage. NFI.
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:36 am

Geo. wrote:
king sirro wrote:
Fulton was only just behind Ellis as our best forward. I wasnt a fan of bringing him back, but if he plays like that every week ill be more than happy. Cant see how Sheens can justify keeping Heighington in first grade though ahead of our young talent.
I told you so....Go Liam.... :D

Heighno on the other hand...I'm really starting to see your point......
Agree on Fulton.

Sometimes our worst issue in attack is nobody straightening up to run holes for the playmakers. I could show 100 instances from 2009 where Benji would have the ball out in, ready front to pass, but nobody with him at the line as an option. Even just look yesterday when Carney scored, running hard and straight off Pearce's telegraphed pass.

Lawrence is such a standout attacker for us because he runs hard at holes. Sometimes they drop it or get smashed, but better IMO than constantly getting the ball early and trying to dance through the line.

So back to Fulton - he is another great line-runner and I forgot how often he offers an option in attack. Last night he kept popping through the line in support reminiscent of Hodgo. Get a few more passes on his chest please. Typically excellent defence and not dominated in any hit-ups that I saw.

fainty

Post by fainty » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:42 am

One thing someone, I don't care who it is, but somone must follow Ellis in attack! He pulled off 2 outstanding oofloads when the play looked dead, I'm sure if he had support we would see his great off loading ability.

crouching_tiger

Post by crouching_tiger » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 9:54 am

fainty wrote:One thing someone, I don't care who it is, but somone must follow Ellis in attack! He pulled off 2 outstanding oofloads when the play looked dead, I'm sure if he had support we would see his great off loading ability.
Wouldn't have this continual frustration if he was shifted to lock..
QUOTE WestsTigers:"Fitzhenry is a very experienced player and will assist in providing leadership to the younger players in the Wests Tigers squad"

QUOTE Tim Sheens:"We owe our fans an apology for that today"

QUOTE Stephen Humphreys:"it was important to secure Fifita for a longer period"

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:00 am

crouching_tiger wrote:
fainty wrote:One thing someone, I don't care who it is, but somone must follow Ellis in attack! He pulled off 2 outstanding oofloads when the play looked dead, I'm sure if he had support we would see his great off loading ability.
Wouldn't have this continual frustration if he was shifted to lock..
Lock should be following him...
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:01 am

The feeling of awesome buzz got killed by this game.

6. Marshall
7. Moltzen

Sounds like a given to me now.

Also I would be giving Mullaney the fullback spot right now. I bet he doesn't think he's too small, and that's all that matters. He's too elusive to get belted via impact. He might get Tallis'd on occasion but meh. I think he is our best fullback option.

I would be running against the Sharks like this.

1. Mullaney
2. Brown
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Ryan
6. Lui
7. Moltzen
8. KG
9. Farah
10. Gibbs
11. Ellis
12. Moors
13. Fulton

And the rest of whoever on the bench.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 2:24 pm

was not able to attend the match.
prior committments, booked in august 2009, ended up on same night. damn it !!
will be guided on here from what is posted.
there will be alot of up and downs during the season.
sounds like this game it just getting the supporters ready for roller coaster ride again.
hoping its a better performance against sharks next when I go to the game.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Alwaysownyou

Post by Alwaysownyou » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 2:55 pm

Lui was a standout.

His endearing feature was how bad he was. Very unimaginative, all he did was pass and kick. Didn't show any skill what so ever. Quite possibly one of the worst players to ever pull on a Tigers jersey.

Fitzhenry should have retired. He was terrible.

Sheens should be sacked for keeping Mullaney off for as long as he did, but with the shocker that Moltzen was having, I guess Sheens had to keep him on to try and get it out of his system.

If I were a betting man I'd say that Moltzen laid down last night and had an absolute shocker on purpose so he could get his rightful #7 jersey off that rubbish amateur we had last night.
MOTH and proud.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 3:14 pm

MacDougall wrote:
I would be running against the Sharks like this.

1. Mullaney
2. Brown
3. Ayshford
4. Lawrence
5. Ryan
6. Lui
7. Moltzen
8. KG
9. Farah
10. Gibbs
11. Ellis
12. Moors
13. Fulton

And the rest of whoever on the bench.
Thinking the same, except Taumata for 6., Moors for 10. & Heighington for 12.

Gibbs can sit on the bench with Flanagan, Andrew Fifita and Alan Schirnak.

Fitzy & Lui to peel the oranges and run the water for mine ;)
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:02 pm

Good work Willow on your match / player report ! For those of us who cannot get to the games this is a great way to get expert opinion first hand. Thank You.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:17 pm

Alwaysownyou wrote:Lui was a standout.

His endearing feature was how bad he was. Very unimaginative, all he did was pass and kick. Didn't show any skill what so ever. Quite possibly one of the worst players to ever pull on a Tigers jersey.

Sheens should be sacked for keeping Mullaney off for as long as he did, but with the shocker that Moltzen was having, I guess Sheens had to keep him on to try and get it out of his system.

If I were a betting man I'd say that Moltzen laid down last night and had an absolute shocker on purpose so he could get his rightful #7 jersey off that rubbish amateur we had last night.
There is some logic to that last sentence however the entire team looked very flat and uninterested yesterday so I'm inclined to wait and see if there's a noticeable improvement against the Sharks.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:21 pm

crouching_tiger wrote:
willow wrote: Maybe I should have asked you for your thoughts on the game since you were sitting right in front of me. Instead of posting rubbish, why don't you tell us how you rated the team's performance CT?
Maybe you should've... but it seems you are too scared to make yourself known in public. Glad to see you were sitting with the F.W.O. Welcome to the bandwagon...
4. Lawrence - Got one nice pass from Lui which resulted ina try in the corner. Otherwise Lawrence did not find any open space and played at 5/8 for a bit while Marshall was off. Defence was good and he belted Ben Jones.
4. Lawrence - had a rubbish game in attack with his slide defence being the biggest concern and committing himself to his inside man on 2 or 3 occasions leaving his winger to defend 2 attackers, and dropped a few easy catches which failed to complete backline plays. Was stifled and predictable at 5/8th with inside running into the markers. One copybook tackle and quick hands to put Brown into the corner. Otherwise....average game 4/10.

One of those posts above is facts of events, the other one utter biased garbage. NFI.

Not scared of making myself known in public CT. I just prefer to keep the company of people who are rational, sane and unbiased.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:23 pm

GOOD REPORT, THANX willow.
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

Pokies

Post by Pokies » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:34 pm

What i would love to know is what Sheens thought we would learn by playing Lawrence at 5/8 whilst resting Benji. We tried this last year and it failed.
Surely it would have been better to have Arana T. or Blake L. coming on at that stage to have a run in the halves.
With Benji injured. I would love to see both these 2 plus Moltz and Lui share time in the halves V Cronulla next week.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 4:53 pm

Alwaysownyou wrote:Lui was a standout.

Pass and kick....Isn't that what people have been asking for in a halfback so Benji can do his thing from 5/8...

Lui was no where near as bad as you are making out.....His long kicking game is superior to both Farah and Marshall...his short kicking game on the day was crap ...but then no worse than Farah, Marshall or Fitzhenry's was....

Plus someone should tell Sheens that Farah is much better out of dummy half than first reciever...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Granto87

Post by Granto87 » Mon 22 Feb, 2010 5:02 pm

Pokies wrote:What i would love to know is what Sheens thought we would learn by playing Lawrence at 5/8 whilst resting Benji. We tried this last year and it failed.
Surely it would have been better to have Arana T. or Blake L. coming on at that stage to have a run in the halves.
With Benji injured. I would love to see both these 2 plus Moltz and Lui share time in the halves V Cronulla next week.
Now Benji is hurt i wonder if Sheens is thinking bout starting Lawrence at 5/8, i hope not but who knows what Sheens and Roycie have planned.