Aloiai

VanillaThunder

Re: Aloiai

Post by VanillaThunder » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 8:23 pm

I think it'd be simplifying things to say he's an edge backrower, he was playing as a second lock while Taylor was at hooker and defending on the edge. His run through JWH and Cordner was on the right, he definitely has more than enough ability to play through the middle.
He and Sue would provide great impact off the bench (if they keep playing like this) with Twal as a nice stabiliser.
Hopefully he goes from strength to strength and gets a good run with injuries, the bloke's a goer.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 8:43 pm

Ok

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:46 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:40 pm
Naiqama' the most improved.
Definitely. Last year he was a candidate for the worst player in the entire comp. He now holds his own. I wonder if he credits Cleary or his sky fairy for that?

everett8

Post by everett8 » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 8:16 am

To play all 26 games in your rookie year speaks volumes.

Likely to team up with McQueen in the second row next year.

One of two quality players we have picked up from Parra, Twal the other one

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:25 am

He's played once in the last couple of months. One decent game and he's our best? He's been inconsistent in the nrl so far. He probably has these last 2 games to prove his worth in the back row.

He's a prop so far. If he can prove he can play 80 mins on the edge, threatening to break the line, offload and make 25-30 tackles without missing too many and 100m+ on a regular basis then he can call himself a back rower.

We desperately need an impact back rower as Eiso, ET, Lawrence and McQueen all being workhorses with no real line breaking ability. Chee Kam is a bit more dangerous and if he packs on a few more kilos with a view to being a forward not a back that may help. If Aloiai can become that impact back rower then great but we've only seen a couple of games so far in his young career which suggest he can.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:58 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:25 am
He's played once in the last couple of months. One decent game and he's our best? He's been inconsistent in the nrl so far. He probably has these last 2 games to prove his worth in the back row.

He's a prop so far. If he can prove he can play 80 mins on the edge, threatening to break the line, offload and make 25-30 tackles without missing too many and 100m+ on a regular basis then he can call himself a back rower.

We desperately need an impact back rower as Eiso, ET, Lawrence and McQueen all being workhorses with no real line breaking ability. Chee Kam is a bit more dangerous and if he packs on a few more kilos with a view to being a forward not a back that may help. If Aloiai can become that impact back rower then great but we've only seen a couple of games so far in his young career which suggest he can.
Do you see Marsters as an impact backrower next year?

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 11:09 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:58 am
Balmain Boy wrote:

Not yet, but potentially one day. I like him but i'm not sure he can have the impact in the forwards yet. He has nice footwork and a great offload but he's never been a player who runs hard. He's not easy to tackle but being able to break a tackle and make an extra few metres is different to being able to make clean line breaks.

I don't see him in the backs next year though either with Suli ahead of him there. Bench spot maybe, will depend how he goes in the off season

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 1:31 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 21 Aug, 2017 11:09 am
gallagher wrote:
Mon 21 Aug, 2017 10:58 am
Balmain Boy wrote:

Not yet, but potentially one day. I like him but i'm not sure he can have the impact in the forwards yet. He has nice footwork and a great offload but he's never been a player who runs hard. He's not easy to tackle but being able to break a tackle and make an extra few metres is different to being able to make clean line breaks.

I don't see him in the backs next year though either with Suli ahead of him there. Bench spot maybe, will depend how he goes in the off season
Yeah, 110kgs seems heavy for the backs. Hes got a build ike Papali, I reckon he'll be a great banch forward next year.

Aloiai given a good run with injuries hopefully gets the consistency needed

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 2:36 pm

If our young gun forwards such as Aloiai, Twal, Marsters, Eisenhuth and perhaps Felise maintain their impressive rate of development than we are set for a great mix of forwards in coming years.

Add them to the experience players like Lawrence, Taylor, Packer, Sue, Grant, Macqueen and Matulino makes a nice little cocktail. Pity Woods and Teddy are leaving .... I'm sure they regret taking their dead*.#% agents advice.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 5:35 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 3:16 pm
It's amazing to see the improvement in some of our players under Cleary over the past month or so, especially in the forwards - Sue, Grant, Eisenhuth & Aloiai are all playing like they've grown an extra leg!
Sue had been carrying a back injury, Grant wants to renew his contract, and Josh has just come back from a dislocated Patella. I agree Ivan seems to be improving the whole squad, just hope that he does a lot more work with Luke on game management and his short kicking game.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 7:08 pm

Aloiai: "The culture of the team is changing"

Dan Talintyre
Mon 21st August, 11:00AM

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... ure_o.html

Aloiai: "The culture of the team is changing"

Dan Talintyre
Mon 21st August, 11:00AM
A A

Wests Tigers forward Josh Aloiai spoke to the media on Sunday after making his first starting appearance for the Club in over three months against the Sydney Roosters.

The 2016 Club Rookie of the Year was sensational on the edge, scoring a try and proving a handful for the Roosters defence, and says he felt he settled in well to a high-quality contest.

"It was a hard game, a very physical game," he said.

"We were just trying to work really hard for each other throughout the game, and I think that was evident. We came so close, and it just hurts to not quite be able to get it done.

"They're a top-four side so it's good to be able to stretch them.

"But having said, it would have been much better to get the win.

"We're not happy with it, but there's definitely positives for us."

Having re-signed at Wests Tigers until the end of 2019, Aloiai also reitterated comments made by Coach Ivan Cleary post-game about the progress within the squad throughout the season.

"I think there's been a lot of growth within our playing group," he enthused.

"The culture of our team is changing.

"These close losses — it's not a matter of effort, it's just execution and game managament."

See what Josh Aloiai had to say in full ahead of this week's Round 25 game in the video above!

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 8:30 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:

I agree that he's being over-talked following a good game and I haven't had him in my starting 17 for next year to date. He does present as an interesting option though as he offers something a little different to the likes of ET, McQueen, Lawrence and Eisenhuth in that he has size and power combined with some footwork to break a line. He's closer to an impact player than any of they are and he doesn't need to be playing 80 minutes in the second row to be an option there given how many 80 minute options we have (i.e. all of ET, McQueen, Lawrence and Eisenhuth). He and Marsters seem to be our only real options for impact on an edge at this point and I think we should have, at a minimum, one of them on the bench.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 22 Aug, 2017 11:46 am

stryker wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 11:46 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 20 Aug, 2017 4:40 pm
Naiqama' the most improved.
Definitely. Last year he was a candidate for the worst player in the entire comp. He now holds his own. I wonder if he credits Cleary or his sky fairy for that?
I thought Cleary was god?
Just because it's soap doesn't mean it's clean.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...