Re: L Brooks

Unread post by bigsiro » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 10:23 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 9:16 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 9:08 pm
Masterton wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 8:32 pm
Directed the team well tonight. Ran often enough. Two try assists and a line break. I'd settle for that every week.
This is endemic as a tigers fan. We settle.
Wow what a ridiculous comment. why wouldnt we settle for those stats leading to a convincing win??
Oh please. You thought he played well? If you are going to look at his stat line in isolation then yes, you would believe that it isn't settling. Sadly, the warriors were atrocious and Brooks had many many more opportunities to put his stamp on the game to put the game to bed.
I think his game was average at best, and if you are happy with that after three years of dire mediocrity then yes, you are settling.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

tigerbenji
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by tigerbenji » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 10:28 pm

Thought he played well, Some hard task masters on this forum.

Dan Blanco
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Dan Blanco » Sun 03 Sep, 2017 10:35 pm

tigerbenji wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 10:28 pm
Thought he played well, Some hard task masters on this forum.
%100. I'm critical , but fair is fair goddammit.

larrycorowa
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by larrycorowa » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 8:18 am

Ivan should be calling brooks in for a debrief this week. It would go something like this.....there are no guarantees next season. You need to have a career off season and start leading through your actions. Go and enjoy yourself but come back ready to go in every aspect.

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by mike » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 8:28 am

larrycorowa wrote:
Mon 04 Sep, 2017 8:18 am
Ivan should be calling brooks in for a debrief this week. It would go something like this.....there are no guarantees next season. You need to have a career off season and start leading through your actions. Go and enjoy yourself but come back ready to go in every aspect.
Thought he had an alright game, some good things and some not so. Larry is right, time for a sit down and tell him how it is.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Tigerdon
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 8:34 am

I agree with Larry's assessment . He did play well but see could have done a bit more. I am looking forward to Reynolds partnering him in the halves. I think they'll complement each other very well. Brooks structure will help Reynolds and Reynolds passion will help Brooks.
Two totally different halves. Unlike the Broses partnership
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tigerdon
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 8:38 am

Brooks has played a lot better since having Lolohea at 5/8. Reynolds will suit him even more and if the forwards next year are overall better and more dominant than this year...Brooks will go better again.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

colmcd
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 9:14 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 04 Sep, 2017 8:38 am
Brooks has played a lot better since having Lolohea at 5/8. Reynolds will suit him even more and if the forwards next year are overall better and more dominant than this year...Brooks will go better again.
I don't get why Brooks/Moses never worked, but it did not.

Brooks/Marshall and Brooks/Lolohea works. I am hoping that with an experienced 5/8 like Reynolds, Brooks will go well. But I wonder if Reynolds will play similarly to Moses. I think Reynolds will plug his gaps in defense but I don't know if he will suit him (hope he will).

The L and P plates are off Brooks. If he does not perform next year Brooks can become the next Daniel Mortimer. He does not need a "message" or a talking too, he knows we have signed Marshall and he knows that the Bench is his if he does not perform.

Marshall and Reynolds IMHO is a great halves combination.

magpiecol
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 1:24 pm

Any dope could see he played well last night. ( well most anyway ). His defence has improved greatly as has his running. His passing game however needs big time work. His timeing is very much astray.

I do not think that he is a natural halfback. They are born, not created. Still, he is getting better, no doubt.

TigerSJ
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 1:55 pm

shakey4d wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 8:57 pm
bigsiro wrote:
Sun 03 Sep, 2017 8:29 pm
Come on, his 5th tackle options are woeful.
I admit he tries hard to direct play but he just gives too many hospital passes.
I thing we are much more threatening when Tui gets the ball on the last.
That's a worry,. Tui's hit rate of hitting his target in the chest would be lower than his kicking percentage.
Reading these posts I was beginning to think I was the only one who questioned Tui's ability to pass the ball properly. As for his kicking game, he has no strategy in his kicking at all - just boots it where ever. I know there's a lot of love for him here, and I agree, he has looked good at times, especially when he runs the ball and takes on the line, but he is no 5/8 for mine and I hope he can catch a high ball and cover tackle if he wants to hold the No.1 spot.
On Brooks last night - I too thought he had a solid game. The WTs have looked far better with him on the field than without. He is obviously still struggling with his hammies so he isn't running as much as he should be nor taking on the defence - once he gets over this problem with injury, he will only improve his overall game. His kicking game wasn't too bad and he is noticeably working on his game management. IMO he isn't our major concern for next year at all.

sideline eye
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by sideline eye » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 10:14 pm

Luke is on a steady but not spectacular upward trend with his game management. Tui as his partner is obviously a fill in option for this season only and there has been no time to build a great combination but Tui is only 21 and I think he'll make a great fullback, although we need to give him time. Both of these players will benefit greatly from an off season under Ivan and I'll be interested to see their roles in what Ivan says will be a different style next year.

tigerap
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by tigerap » Mon 04 Sep, 2017 11:25 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Mon 04 Sep, 2017 10:14 pm
Luke is on a steady but not spectacular upward trend with his game management. Tui as his partner is obviously a fill in option for this season only and there has been no time to build a great combination but Tui is only 21 and I think he'll make a great fullback, although we need to give him time. Both of these players will benefit greatly from an off season under Ivan and I'll be interested to see their roles in what Ivan says will be a different style next year.
Yup

Tbone
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Tbone » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 12:08 am

His last 2 months was a big improvement on the first half of the season. He played several very good games. Defense has improved but he will always have some issues there.

If he can work hard and improve his short kicking game and game management he will be very valuable to the team.

Re his short kicking game, he gets himself into a bad position too often. He's too square and that leaves Little room for the ball to get through the line. His first movements were better the last few weeks but it's obviously not something that comes naturally to him.

Snake
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by Snake » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 4:55 am

First and foremost Brooks has to get his body right .. needs to spend the off season repairing and making his hammys stronger he needs to apply himself in this regard not be lazy!I have pretty much made my accessmemt regarding him moving forward hopefully with a new partner things might change.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by Masterton » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 6:58 am

colmcd wrote:
Mon 04 Sep, 2017 9:14 am

Brooks/Marshall and Brooks/Lolohea works. I am hoping that with an experienced 5/8 like Reynolds, Brooks will go well. But I wonder if Reynolds will play similarly to Moses. I think Reynolds will plug his gaps in defense but I don't know if he will suit him (hope he will).
Considering Benji and Brooks have never played together in the halves, I'll reserve my judgement.

My favourite part of Brooks/Lola is Brooks' long passes getting Lola on the outside of his defender. It opens some nice space.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 43 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 7:31 am

Brooks improved consistently throughout the year. I think this augers well for him next season.

macca84
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by macca84 » Tue 05 Sep, 2017 8:51 pm

People are way too harsh on him.

When he was partnered with Anasta he played well, going on to claim the Dally M Rookie of the Year (albeit it in a somewhat weak field). 2015 he was partnered with an even less experienced half. Moses then decided that he also wanted to be a dominant half, despite Brooks being told that he was the main playmaker/shot caller. So towards the end of 2015 and 2016 we had 2 halves that were trying to outrule each other on the field. This is why Tui and Luke work well together, Tui plays a running game while Brooks calls the shots.

I think Reynolds will work well with Brooks as Reynolds knows that he isn't a shot calling half. One thing I am worried about is that we seem to have 3 running halves (Reynolds, Gamble and Marshall) and only one proper halfback (Brooks).

The_Doc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by The_Doc » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 1:29 pm

Obviously 2018 is make or break for Brooks he did play well the other night but he's still far too inconsistent. I think having Marshall not only mentor him but breathing down the back of his neck is going to be good for him, we will defiantly see what he's made of.

One thing is for certain we have multiple options next year which we didn't have last year, I think Ivan will use the pre season to gauge his first choice halves pairing it's up to Brooks to show he's in that mix.

Personally as someone mentioned above Daniel Mortimor I think he's in that category hope he proves me wrong though.

Return to “Round 26: Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors”