Russell
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 82 times

Re: L Brooks

Unread post by Russell » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 1:40 pm

macca84 wrote:
Tue 05 Sep, 2017 8:51 pm
People are way too harsh on him.

When he was partnered with Anasta he played well, going on to claim the Dally M Rookie of the Year (albeit it in a somewhat weak field). 2015 he was partnered with an even less experienced half. Moses then decided that he also wanted to be a dominant half, despite Brooks being told that he was the main playmaker/shot caller. So towards the end of 2015 and 2016 we had 2 halves that were trying to outrule each other on the field. This is why Tui and Luke work well together, Tui plays a running game while Brooks calls the shots.

I think Reynolds will work well with Brooks as Reynolds knows that he isn't a shot calling half. One thing I am worried about is that we seem to have 3 running halves (Reynolds, Gamble and Marshall) and only one proper halfback (Brooks).
The new Benji can organise.

tsjonathan
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:05 pm

6. Lolohea
7. J Reynolds

jrtiger
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by jrtiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:27 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:05 pm
6. Lolohea
7. J Reynolds
I'm curious as to why so many people believe this combo will work. No game management whatsoever, both players' biggest strength is their running and support games and both would have worse 5th tackle options than Brooksy. Our first grade halves pairing has to have either Brooks or Marshall in order for us to playing at the right end of the season. No offence intended TS, just my thoughts.

swag tiger
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by swag tiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:28 pm

jrtiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:27 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
6. Lolohea
7. J Reynolds
I'm curious as to why so many people believe this combo will work. No game management whatsoever, both players' biggest strength is their running and support games and both would have worse 5th tackle options than Brooksy. Our first grade halves pairing has to have either Brooks or Marshall in order for us to playing at the right end of the season. No offence intended TS, just my thoughts.
Trust in Ivan. :D
I have family in Balmain and the Western suburbs so i guess that makes me a Balmain Westie

Silentio
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Silentio » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:48 pm

At (close enough to) 100 games, Brooks is no longer a rookie.

I'd love to see him take his game to a new level but he has had plenty of time to do that already, albeit in a weak side.

There's going to be real pressure on him to retain the number 7 in 2018.

TigerTiger
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 31 times

Unread post by TigerTiger » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:58 pm

Silentio wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:48 pm

I'd love to see him take his game to a new level but he has had plenty of time to do that already, albeit in a weak side.

... Which is a good thing. In First Grade, he has never really had competition for his spot before. Now he will. Plus, he is off contract at end of 2019, and really, if he doesn't step up next year, then he will get dropped, and we're using Benji instead, then I suspect he may get shopped out at end of year and we source another halfback.

colmcd
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by colmcd » Wed 06 Sep, 2017 4:31 pm

TigerTiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:58 pm
Silentio wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 3:48 pm

... Which is a good thing. In First Grade, he has never really had competition for his spot before. Now he will. Plus, he is off contract at end of 2019, and really, if he doesn't step up next year, then he will get dropped, and we're using Benji instead, then I suspect he may get shopped out at end of year and we source another halfback.
Maybe he will, Maybe he won't. The guy actually has a stack of talent and I think can be a really good halfback. He did not work with Moses though, he did with Austin and I still have no NO idea why we put all our hopes in the Brooks + Moses combo when there were warning signs all the way through. We Spoilt our rookie's rotten.

Either way, it is CRUNCH time for Brooks. This will be good for the tigers.

tsjonathan
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by tsjonathan » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 3:24 pm

swag tiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:28 pm
jrtiger wrote:
Wed 06 Sep, 2017 2:27 pm
tsjonathan wrote:
6. Lolohea
7. J Reynolds
Trust in Ivan. :D
I agree JRtiger, just disappointing with Luke Brooks' , I haven't seen much progress with him since his first season. As I have said before I think his debut game was more of a curse than a blessing.

Swordy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Swordy » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 5:24 pm

Ill give brooks half a season behind a decent pack to fulfil some potential.

Hes been running behind a bunch of pussies, and beside a narcisist traitor in Moses for years. What do people expect?

Its no surprise that in the last 6-8 weeks he has gotten a little better. Its one of the toughest positions on the field. Not sure even cooper cronk could do much with what we had.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Thu 07 Sep, 2017 5:26 pm

To be fair he can't drop himself, the coach has to drop him and so far 3 of them haven't. Gradually his game is improving, but because he spent his middle 50 odd games doing nothing I think his critics are not willing to accept the improvement is real.

He gets a pass from me overall for this year, but he hasn't covered himself in glory. Like most of our squad, the gap between his best and worst, even in the same half of football, is too great.

In a roundabout way I think playing bad has taken a lot of the pressure of expectation off him, and we've seen what that has done to players like Mullen. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

From all reports he bludges through the pre-season, if he does that again we have the depth to cover him next year, which we haven't for a long time. I know we are impatient, we really deserve to be, but I reckon we'll know a lot more about him next year.

maxxy86
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by maxxy86 » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:23 am

Well when you think of it positions could be given to the players that are 100% fit. Tui fits the bill ATM so....
1 Tui
6 ?
7 ?
9 ?
Ideally it should be Reynolds Brooks Liddle. Benji will be pressuring Luke, as I think he did a good job for the broncs the other night. Albeit he made some errors in the end but his 5/8 played horrendous. Thought Benji kicked quite well and found the grass, something Luke has trouble with.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

colmcd
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by colmcd » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:22 am

maxxy86 wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 7:23 am
Well when you think of it positions could be given to the players that are 100% fit. Tui fits the bill ATM so....
1 Tui
6 ?
7 ?
9 ?
Ideally it should be Reynolds Brooks Liddle. Benji will be pressuring Luke, as I think he did a good job for the broncs the other night. Albeit he made some errors in the end but his 5/8 played horrendous. Thought Benji kicked quite well and found the grass, something Luke has trouble with.
Quite a lot of teams have their spine set up, then an impact player. I think this can work extremely well for us too. Sharks with Barba, Maloney and Townsend. The rabbits with Sutton, Reynolds and Keary.
The question is your impact at 1/6/7 (9 seems locked down).

Teams set up against what they expect from us. You then swap a fast runner into Fullback, 5/8, Half or I think the centers you suddenly change the game.

SAdly I see Tui as our best fullback option and Brooks not playing enough at 1 to take over. So our impact player can only come in at 5/8, halfback (which isn't ideal as we need a half that sets up the team) or in the centers. So my thoughts are this:
train for Brooks to come in off the bench with Benji as half. Brooks comes on at 5/8 and Reynolds shifts to the centers. Wow so where is the surprise? Suli shifts from center to wing! Reynolds and Suli maintain same running lines.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 101 times

Unread post by formerguest » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:05 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:22 am
maxxy86 wrote:
1 Tui
6 ?
7 ?
9 ?
Quite a lot of teams have their spine set up, then an impact player. I think this can work extremely well for us too. Sharks with Barba, Maloney and Townsend. The rabbits with Sutton, Reynolds and Keary.

Teams set up against what they expect from us. You then swap a fast runner into Fullback, 5/8, Half or I think the centers you suddenly change the game.

SAdly I see Tui as our best fullback option and Brooks not playing enough at 1 to take over. So our impact player can only come in at 5/8, halfback (which isn't ideal as we need a half that sets up the team) or in the centers. So my thoughts are this:
train for Brooks to come in off the bench with Benji as half. Brooks comes on at 5/8 and Reynolds shifts to the centers. Wow so where is the surprise? Suli shifts from center to wing! Reynolds and Suli maintain same running lines.

Waaaaaay too many movements for one replacement.

Happy enough with Luke's contribution at his pay scale.

Has liked: 286 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by 851 » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 12:55 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Sep, 2017 5:26 pm
To be fair he can't drop himself, the coach has to drop him and so far 3 of them haven't. Gradually his game is improving, but because he spent his middle 50 odd games doing nothing I think his critics are not willing to accept the improvement is real.

He gets a pass from me overall for this year, but he hasn't covered himself in glory. Like most of our squad, the gap between his best and worst, even in the same half of football, is too great.

In a roundabout way I think playing bad has taken a lot of the pressure of expectation off him, and we've seen what that has done to players like Mullen. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

From all reports he bludges through the pre-season, if he does that again we have the depth to cover him next year, which we haven't for a long time. I know we are impatient, we really deserve to be, but I reckon we'll know a lot more about him next year.
He debuted in 2013, has played over 80 NRL games, we are not impatient Brooks has had a charmed run, should have been punted or at least dropped ages ago.
Go hard or go home

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 1:29 pm

old man tiger wrote:

Would be interested how you know he bludges through preseason? If that's correct he does not deserve to succeed. If he is not going to give it his all, make way for someone who will. Phil Gould said earlier this year that he needs to decide whether he wants to be a first grade footballer or not. I've fully supported Brooks but if he is lazy, move him on. My hope is your information is not accurate.

TigerSJ
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 2:06 pm

I think he's actually played injured a lot or certainly not 100% fit. This season in particular you could see the games when he had some running in him vs those he didn't and how these coincided with his hamstring issues. He is far better when he runs to the line and far more involved when he is fit. I think his preseason this year was also hampered by injury if I remember. In a club with more depth he may not have been rushed back from injury into the team as quickly as he has been at the Tigers over the last couple of seasons - I'm sure it hasn't helped him.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 2:24 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 1:29 pm
old man tiger wrote:

Would be interested how you know he bludges through preseason? If that's correct he does not deserve to succeed. If he is not going to give it his all, make way for someone who will. Phil Gould said earlier this year that he needs to decide whether he wants to be a first grade footballer or not. I've fully supported Brooks but if he is lazy, move him on. My hope is your information is not accurate.

No inside info mate. Remember some discussion here about it over the last couple of preseasons. I hope I'm wrong too and he kills it. I do think he is getting more consistent, but if someone else is a better option at any point then they should get the gig.

Russell
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by Russell » Tue 12 Sep, 2017 3:22 pm

colmcd wrote:
Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:22 am
maxxy86 wrote:
1 Tui
6 ?
7 ?
9 ?

The opposition teams and coaches will love your idea. Lol

Return to “Round 26: Wests Tigers vs New Zealand Warriors”