Wests Tigers -2018 Centres

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Wests Tigers -2018 Centres

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 8:55 am

After looking way coaches are selecting centres in 2017, both at NRL and Rep teams. How do you rate Wests Tigers centres for 2018?
I believe we have the right balance in the centres. We don't have make shift centres fullbacks or out and out 2nd rowers in that position.
The likes of Suli, Marsters , Milne will do a good job in defence and make metres in attack.

Renouf Says Centre's stocks thin in the Kangaroos'
From NRL.com

He was one of the most electrifying centre three-quarters of all time but now Steve Renouf is lamenting a move towards size over speed in the Kangaroos' centre stocks that he says could prove costly as the tournament progresses.

When Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga announced his 24-man World Cup squad on October 3 only Melbourne's Will Chambers had spent the entire season playing in the centres for his club side in the Telstra Premiership.

Manly's Dylan Walker – the Dally M Centre of the Year – was an unfortunate casualty of the Prime Minister's XIII game in Papua New Guinea and would almost certainly have earned selection, but his absence leaves Chambers and Dane Gagai as the only Kangaroos to have played a minimum of five NRL games in the centres this season.

Instead, the proliferation of fullbacks at the representative level continued with Meninga selecting five players who have spent significant time in the No.1 jersey during the course of the season.

Having played in the centres in all three State of Origin matches for New South Wales this year as well as four times for St George Illawarra late in the season, Josh Dugan is the man favoured to partner Chambers in the centres against England in the World Cup opener in Melbourne on October 27.

Dugan has scored five tries in his past four appearances in the centres for the Kangaroos but he is a long way from possessing the attacking potency displayed by Renouf who crossed for 11 tries in his 10 Tests for Australia.

Laurie Daley used Dugan and Jarryd Hayne in the centres for the NSW Blues, and throughout the finals series we witnessed Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson employing Mitch Aubusson and Ryan Matterson in the centres for the Tricolours. The practice of substituting bigger-bodied back-rowers out wide was one regularly employed by other clubs also.

Whilst that is primarily done to shore up the defensive line, Renouf says by using part-time centres a team can actually become more vulnerable.

"I'm one of the true blue centres but it is a shame to be honest," Renouf said of genuine centres being overlooked in representative teams.

"I got offered the chance to play fullback back in my day but I bluntly said no to Wayne [Bennett] that I didn't want to be fullback so I hung in there.

"It is a very specific position and teams find other teams out.

"If you're not a true centre and you haven't played most of your time there, defensively you can get caught out very easily.

"You don't have the beauty of having that tight pack a bit closer in. You're out there and you're calling the shots with just you and your winger."

Ironically, Renouf will be one of the few Australian centres travelling around the country during the World Cup as he delivers the Deadly Choices program that encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to have regular health checks.

When the former Bronco made his Test debut in 1992 he did so alongside one of the most imposing centres to ever play the game in Meninga himself, but is somewhat disappointed that size is preferred over speed in the modern game.

"Size is a big thing these days," said Renouf, who played 183 games for Brisbane and scored a double in his final Test appearance in 1998.

"We relied a lot on our speed both in attack and defence. I can remember Wayne saying to us – because we had a very quick back-line – his big thing to us was to show them the sideline.

"If they beat you on the outside good luck to them but don't let them ever go through you.

"He had the faith in us that we'd run them down, which nine times out of 10 we did."

Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 4:13 pm

I don't believe Marsters is a long term centre, I think he is a backrower filling in at centre, Milne, Suli, Fonua are all options and better options than most years.
Go hard or go home

tigerap
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by tigerap » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 4:48 pm

I like Suli in the Centres, strong, athletic and decent speed

I like what Marsters showed this year in the centres, I see him more of a backrower but feel he may be left out of both centre, due to more mobile and better options and second row due to his lack of height, size and power...he has a good offload though..it shall be interesting how it pans out next year

larrycorowa
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by larrycorowa » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 11:23 pm

James Roberts and will chambers are good centres

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:44 am

851 wrote:
Wed 18 Oct, 2017 4:13 pm
I don't believe Marsters is a long term centre, I think he is a backrower filling in at centre, Milne, Suli, Fonua are all options and better options than most years.
Marsters made a good fist of things in the centres, but yes, he is a backrower. It's just that his defence wasn't up to par for defending closer to the middle but that will change with experience.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 8:07 am

Our centres?

Not sure what Ivan has planned but we've got a bit of depth there for a change. Suli, Marsters (although I agree that he's a second rower in the making,) Fonua, Milne and an improved Kev Naiqama.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 8:44 am

Mid way through 2017 all the talk of "the Tigers woeful RHS defence" went away. The RHS defence had plagued us for the last few years . Not sure if it was Moses going or our improvement on the Edge and Centre.
We certainly have some solid bodies in the centres these days

bigsiro
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by bigsiro » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:34 am

I like the look of Milne.
Suli has been average.
Naiqama is a defensive liability.
Marsters is an unknown who looked good in the youth grades cos of his bulk.
Having compared to the rest of the teams, our centres, though full of potential, right now are completely unproven and defensively questionable. On paper we will arguably possess the worst centre pairing in the comp.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again

Tigerdon

Unread post by Tigerdon » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:09 am

Suli, Marsters, Fonua all have a very physical side to their game.
They also seem to have good footwork for big guys.
Milne is a bit different to the other three, I guess Ivan has a lot of options there. with Kev and Malakai Watene-Zelezniak as well.

It was interesting practice of Trent Robinson using Mitch Aubusson and Ryan Matterson in the centres for the finals.
"The practice of substituting bigger-bodied back-rowers out wide was one regularly employed by other clubs also". Paul Green used Kane Linnett who was a second rower in the finals.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:47 am

I hope we persist with Masters at centre... I feel he could become another konny hurrel type..... We seem too quick to relegate potential good centres to the b/row

wt00
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by wt00 » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 12:48 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 19 Oct, 2017 11:47 am
I hope we persist with Masters at centre... I feel he could become another konny hurrel type..... We seem too quick to relegate potential good centres to the b/row
Marsters game reminds me of Tyrone Peachey, similar build too.
The star of the team is the team.

Boonboon2
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 9:01 pm

Taane Milne has looked great for Fiji so far in the world cup - admittedly against poor opposition so far but has really impressed me. It will be a really competitive run between Masters and Milne on one side and Kevvie and Suli on the other.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 282 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 9:44 pm

For me; I think Suli & Milne centres, Nofo & Fonua wings and Marsters back-row

Very harsh on MWZ and Kev.

Can't wait for 2018 with these strike players out wide with skill, power, speed, passion. Scoring points will not be a problem.

Great Job Ivan Cleary!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 54 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 10:01 pm

Boonboon2 wrote:
Sun 05 Nov, 2017 9:01 pm
Taane Milne has looked great for Fiji so far in the world cup - admittedly against poor opposition so far but has really impressed me. It will be a really competitive run between Masters and Milne on one side and Kevvie and Suli on the other.
Kevie should not be in the equation, he has shown on numerous occasions he is a terrible defender.I know he impoved a little in 2017 but he is not a first grade centre.

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 10:48 pm

I think Naiqama is a fullback. He has played well for us at fullback and plays good for Fiji at fullback. I would have him playing 1 in NSW cup while we see what we have with Tui as a 1.

Milky
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by Milky » Sun 05 Nov, 2017 11:22 pm

For me...

1. Tui Lolohea
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Esan Marters
4. Moses Suli
5. Taane Milne

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 5:08 am

bigsiro wrote:
Thu 19 Oct, 2017 10:34 am
I like the look of Milne.
Suli has been average.
Naiqama is a defensive liability.
Marsters is an unknown who looked good in the youth grades cos of his bulk.
Having compared to the rest of the teams, our centres, though full of potential, right now are completely unproven and defensively questionable. On paper we will arguably possess the worst centre pairing in the comp.
Even though most won't agree about Suli, I'm still to see what all the hype is about, I know he's still a kid, and he started Last season well, butHe seemed to drop off quite a bit pretty quickly.

I'm not saying he won't be a world beater, but you can only go on what he's doing on the field now, and average describes that pretty well

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Mon 06 Nov, 2017 5:39 am

Very very rapid rise for Suli, as you mentioned, still a kid.
He handled himself OK and has a lot of development to go hopefully - through a season next year without all the distractions of this one just past

Return to “Season 2018”