Gamble ready to go all-in in rookie season..

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 337 times

Gamble ready to go all-in in rookie season..

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 3:35 pm

Gamble ready to go all-in in rookie season

Dan Talintyre

Wed 8th November, 03:00PM
A A
Tyson Gamble.
Tyson Gamble gets stuck in to pre-season training at Concord Oval.
WHAT'S the best thing about being in your first NRL squad?

Tyson Gamble pauses for a minute, and then opens up with a cheeky smile.

“Definitely having my own locker,” he says.

“I’ve never had my own looker before. It’s a pretty cool feeling — I’m right there next to Corey Thompson and across from guys like Benji and Josh Reynolds.

“It’s still a bit surreal, to be honest.”

Of all the changes in Tyson Gamble’s life over the past year as he settles in to full-time training, it’s the locker that stands out to the talented 21-year-old.

Rewind just 12 months and Gamble was (pardon the pun) coming off one of the biggest risks in his life — knocking back the option to train with the Cronulla Sharks U/20's program, and instead taking his chances to break through in the Queensland domestic competition.

Having never played reserve-grade, let alone be part of an NRL club, it was a genuine gamble for the playmaker, but one he would soon be justified in making.

“The option was there when I was 19 to come down to Sydney,” Gamble said.

“But the biggest thing was that it was only a one-year contract. I didn’t think moving to Sydney for a year to potentially not go any further wasn’t a smart idea.

“So I stayed up in Queensland and had a few interviews with Redcliffe; they played me in the Brisbane Rugby League and I had a good year, and then I ended up finally getting a shot last year in the Intrust Super Cup competition.”

From there, Gamble’s career took off — starting with the man who would partner him in the halves for his debut for Redcliffie, one Benji Marshall.

“I debuted the same day Benji did,” he reflected.

“Benji had been dropped back as the Broncos had Boyd and Milford and Hunt, and he was back at Redcliffe and I found out I was going to be playing with him.

“It’s kind of hard to explain; it was just a dream come true at the time.

“I didn’t know what else would happen in my career, and I still don’t, but to say I played with someone of his calibre was something I never thought would happen. I mean, he’s played that many Tests for New Zealand and won a premiership and done everything.

“I was nervous enough making my debut that first day, but I think having Benji around made me nervous about that and not about the game itself, to be honest,” he laughed.

“ Just the way he spoke to me; he said just to keep it easy, keep it simple, run the ball, get yourself into the game in the first few sets we have and just go from there.”

And just go from there Gamble did.

Starring in the Dolphins’ midseason resurgence, the powerful playmaker was just five games in to his Intrust Super Cup career when teams began circling for his signature — such was the prowess and physical dominance shown in both attack and defence.

“Looking back, it just all happened really quickly,” Gamble said.

“My manager had said that as soon as I started playing Cup things would start to roll in, and literally a few days after I’d settled in, I got a call from the Wests Tigers.

“We chatted back and forth for a few weeks, and then they offered me something and I didn’t look back. Moving down here was a bit tough because I’ve never been away from the family home before — it sucks doing my own washing and cooking but that’s all.

“Wests Tigers have really helped me settle a lot which has been awesome.”

One week in to his first full-time stint of pre-season training with the legendary Ronnie Palmer calling the shots, Gamble said getting up and going to work — at football — had taken some getting used to; both in terms of his mental and physical preparation.

“Oh, it was like two days in and I was already struggling,” he laughed.

“I’ve done pre-season at Redcliffe and things but it’s been nothing like this.

“It’s been tough, but that’s good because I know that I’m growing and learning.”

“It’s been tough, but that’s good because I know that I’m growing and learning...”
Gamble will have plenty of chances to keep doing that throughout pre-season, with his old halves partner in Marshall as well as Josh Reynolds coming to Concord over the next few weeks as a slew of new faces arrive at the club. Capable of playing at halfback of five-eighth, the 21-year-old is well aware of the resources around him in 2018, and said his sole goal for the year ahead is just to take as much as he can in from the squad.

“It’s pretty crazy actually, that both Benji and Josh are here next year,” Gamble said.

“My parents are huge Bulldogs supporters, and they absolutely love Josh Reynolds.

“I think it was like a week or two after he’d agreed that I signed with Wests Tigers and they were just over the moon. I really love watching him play and his passion.

“But Brooksy too; people forget how young he still is and how much experience he already has for his age. I know I’ve got a lot of guys to learn from here, and if I’m ever in need of helping hand or just to ask about the game of footy, they’ll help me out.

“They’ve got a heck of a lot more experience than me,” he added.

“I’m well aware that I’m just a rookie and I haven’t done any of this before.

“I just want to play good footy and make sure Ivan knows I’m there.

“He’s [Ivan] such an approach guy and has been really good to me ever since we met last year; I dare say he’s going to be a pretty damn good coach here with this squad.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... _go_a.html
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tacky
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Tacky » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 3:45 pm

WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Tiger Watto
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Tiger Watto » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 4:27 pm

Interesting scenario having played with Benji at Redcliffe... They could form a great combination in ISP next year.

Train Hard Kid!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 4:33 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Wed 08 Nov, 2017 4:27 pm
Interesting scenario having played with Benji at Redcliffe... They could form a great combination in ISP next year.

Train Hard Kid!
Yep. Benji also played with Milne at Saints. So there will be a few familiar faces in preseason training.

from SMH 2015

"Benji Marshall describes rookie teammate Taane Milne as having "one of the best in and aways and flick passes I've seen" as the young Dragon continues to impress.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by FreddyK » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 4:56 pm

Ronnie Palmer will knock him into shape .... sounds like a very nice lad and looking forward to seeing him play next year.

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 5:24 pm

This guy could be a real smokey, you just never know. It might end up being a case of Moses who? Wouldn't that be nice :)

TigerSkins
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by TigerSkins » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 5:30 pm

Playing at 5/8 last season in the QRL, his stats were:

8 tries
12 try assists
35 tackle breaks
46 goals kicked from 56 attempts

This kid can play 1, 6, and 7 .. very handed, hope his sticks with us and gives it a fair crack.

Mac tiger
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Mac tiger » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 6:56 pm

Sounds like a sensible fellow - glad he's on board.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 6:59 pm

Reading this article makes me excited about the season ahead. Great mix of experience and youth and proven leaders like Cleary and Palmer calling the shots.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 7:48 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Wed 08 Nov, 2017 4:27 pm

Train Hard Kid!
Agree, whatever our state cup side is next season, it should be a lot stronger than this year's. Gamble may very well get his chance in the NRL year depending how injuries go, particularly Brooks with his hammies and Reynolds who has had calf problems. He just needs to knuckle down, train hard, eat the right foods and recover well. I think if he can see he has the ability to match it with other halves down here, his confidence will improve a lot.

WestsBenTigers
Has liked: 266 times
Been liked: 69 times

Unread post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 8:00 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 08 Nov, 2017 5:30 pm

8 tries
12 try assists
35 tackle breaks

This kid can play 1, 6, and 7 .. very handed, hope his sticks with us and gives it a fair crack.
How many games did he play?

And 82% kicking is pretty handy

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 10:22 pm

TigerSkins wrote:
Wed 08 Nov, 2017 5:30 pm

8 tries
12 try assists
35 tackle breaks

If he somehow managed to crack a spot, kicking @ 82% would be some bonus.

wt00
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by wt00 » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 10:52 pm

Bench utility perhaps later in the season. Best of luck young fella, hope you crack the top grade with wt.
The star of the team is the team.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by oldprop » Wed 08 Nov, 2017 11:55 pm

Don't know why but he reminds me of a young Gary Freeman.
Need more props.

jirskyr
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 10:46 am

People ask about what recruiting Tigers do outside of the club, it came up again a few weeks ago, here is a prime example. Tigers obviously didn't sit back when Gamble started to come on in ISC.

Snake
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 53 times

Unread post by Snake » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:21 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Nov, 2017 10:46 am
People ask about what recruiting Tigers do outside of the club, it came up again a few weeks ago, here is a prime example. Tigers obviously didn't sit back when Gamble started to come on in ISC.

All the pressure is on Brooks Imo,if this guy really has a go and wants to move up Brooks better get his finger out as I can see him struggling to hold his spot.

Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 104 times

Unread post by 851 » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:37 pm

Snake wrote:
Thu 09 Nov, 2017 12:21 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 09 Nov, 2017 10:46 am

All the pressure is on Brooks Imo,if this guy really has a go and wants to move up Brooks better get his finger out as I can see him struggling to hold his spot.
That would be my take on it too, plus the kid has size and is a goal kicker, something Brooks doesn't possess, future looks brighter that it did last year.
Go hard or go home

barra
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by barra » Thu 09 Nov, 2017 1:54 pm

I know it's a big step-up and a confidence thing etc. But I like the look of this guy. Fingers crossed he goes well for us!

Return to “Season 2018”