Anxious Reynolds wants to repay Tigers..

TheBusDriver
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Anxious Reynolds wants to repay Tigers..

Unread post by TheBusDriver » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 2:34 pm

Reynolds will help us heaps. especially around the 50 minute mark where we start to drop off mentally. we need someone to keep going and say to the younger guys... "keep up with me and dont give up"...

Josh might get a few penalties but with the tight games he's awesome and with players like Marshall, McQueen, Taylor together they should calm the team down enough to win the tight ones!!!

Im pumped!!!
"The star of the team is the team"
- Ivan Cleary

:sign:

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 4:07 pm

hammertime wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 8:21 am
supercoach wrote:
Sun 12 Nov, 2017 5:03 am
Earl wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:31 pm
I'm one who thinks he isn't worth the money especially on a 4 year deal. I hope I'm wrong.
When you run close to the bottom of the comp for a few years and be club emerged in drama, that is the sort of money you have to pay to attract any player who is rated above average. I also think four years is maybe a year or two long, but we probably had no choice.
I also think he is just the player we need for the coming season, with so many new faces we need a player like him to build up the team spirit
With Reynolds loving the Bulldogs as much as he did, it sent a strong message about the Tigers when he moved over. He wasn't just another bloke off contract, he was someone a club would have to give a strong reason to move to shift from a club he loved so much.

It shocked people and countered the brand damage of Woodsy/Ted doing the reverse a tad. We really needed it at that point.
HT. I think that the fact that his club obviously didn't want a bar of him after his last contract, and he was able to get a lot more money, plus a way longer contract than he would have been able to get anywhere else, says more about the deal than any strong message about the Tigers.

The only message that I can see from the signing is that we have to still pay overs to get players here , and that we still haven't learnt much about long contracts for players towards the end of their careers

fibrodreaming
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 4:55 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 4:07 pm
hammertime wrote:
supercoach wrote:
Earl wrote:
Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:31 pm
I'm one who thinks he isn't worth the money especially on a 4 year deal. I hope I'm wrong.
When you run close to the bottom of the comp for a few years and be club emerged in drama, that is the sort of money you have to pay to attract any player who is rated above average. I also think four years is maybe a year or two long, but we probably had no choice.
I also think he is just the player we need for the coming season, with so many new faces we need a player like him to build up the team spirit
With Reynolds loving the Bulldogs as much as he did, it sent a strong message about the Tigers when he moved over. He wasn't just another bloke off contract, he was someone a club would have to give a strong reason to move to shift from a club he loved so much.

It shocked people and countered the brand damage of Woodsy/Ted doing the reverse a tad. We really needed it at that point.
HT. I think that the fact that his club obviously didn't want a bar of him after his last contract, and he was able to get a lot more money, plus a way longer contract than he would have been able to get anywhere else, says more about the deal than any strong message about the Tigers.

The only message that I can see from the signing is that we have to still pay overs to get players here , and that we still haven't learnt much about long contracts for players towards the end of their careers
Are we paying overs ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that we are paying Reynolds approximately what Parra are paying Moses, and substantially less than the original offer we made to Moses.

For approximately the same money, I would take Reynolds over Moses every day of the week.

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 6:54 pm

fibrodreaming wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 4:55 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
hammertime wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Are we paying overs ? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that we are paying Reynolds approximately what Parra are paying Moses, and substantially less than the original offer we made to Moses.

For approximately the same money, I would take Reynolds over Moses every day of the week.
That doesn't make either of them worth the money . And I certainly not give either a four year contract
The point is that we had to pay through the nose to get him.
And for four years. He's not getting any younger, and is a gamble Imo
A lack of not being wanted at Belmore, And big money is why he's here.

Roar Power
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Roar Power » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:13 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 6:54 pm
fibrodreaming wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
hammertime wrote:

That doesn't make either of them worth the money . And I certainly not give either a four year contract
I dont think it was a case of not being wanted at Belmore. They had cap issues and he was a way to alleviate that. Josh doesn't have the skill of some of the younger guys but passion provides motivation in the 70th minute when lungs are burning and the game is on the line. He will be good for culture, has won premierships, played in grand finals. For me, 4 years is to much - would have been happy with three.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by formerguest » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:49 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
fibrodreaming wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
hammertime wrote:

I share some of your concerns, but then didn't the panthers just sign a three year contract for a guy that is already the age Reynolds will be at the end of his contract.

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:35 am

formerguest wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 7:49 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
fibrodreaming wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

I share some of your concerns, but then didn't the panthers just sign a three year contract for a guy that is already the age Reynolds will be at the end of his contract.
They're chalk and cheese, is at the top of his game, and has lots between his ears on the field, and is a quality kicker, and teams with him as a 6 seem to have a habit of making GFs.
I'd take Maloney in a heart beat, if we could've got him
Last edited by goldcoast tiger on Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 2:22 pm

The argument regarding paying to much for Reynolds is realistically out the door,its the amount he will get while he is here with us for the next 4 years....if Ivan and Pascoe didn't see any value in Grub then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have signed him..
Sometimes players of his age,wether backs or forwards,produce inspiring football as they are getting towards the end of their careers,they have plenty to offer to the younger guys on and off the field...
Josh Reynolds will end up being a very good buy and a dynamo with the fans..he is a good person and a pretty good footballer even if many don't see it that way...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

TigerSJ
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 2:50 pm

I admit to having my doubts about him - none about his passion or determination, more about his ability and skill to help us win games. However, after watching a couple of interviews, looking at the way the dogs fans loved him, and listening to the recent 2GB radio interview, my opinion of him certainly as a person, is changing. I hope he takes up the challenge and proves me wrong about his ability as a 5/8. Good luck to him and I am putting my faith in Ivan.

colmcd
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 3:40 pm

formerguest wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
fibrodreaming wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

True, although the Panthers will pressure Maloney in his second year like they did Soward, Wallace and many of the other players. Maloney will retire and they will get Cleary the mentor for a year or two.

Reynolds was not the player the Dogs wanted, with the stage that their team was at. They had an option for Foran, they got him and realised that they needed to punt Reynolds to be under the cap.
Were at a rebuild stage still, yes we have recruited better then expected and some juicy halves have since come on the market. Reynolds is perfect for us to rebuild under.
He has Grit, we need Grit, we need Grit bad. We pay Reynolds 100k less then what Parra pays Moses and he is what we need.

colmcd
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by colmcd » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 3:49 pm

gallagher wrote:
Mon 13 Nov, 2017 8:23 pm
How many current 5/8s in the NRL can say they won a SOO series with the blues.
He'll be a fan favourite .
jadtiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:34 pm
We have needed someone like Reynolds at the club for years(Farah was closest).He detests losing and plays to the full limit of his ability at all times.There are definately better quality players in his position but he is a massive asset to the squad with his attitude
TheBusDriver wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 2:34 pm
Reynolds will help us heaps. especially around the 50 minute mark where we start to drop off mentally. we need someone to keep going and say to the younger guys... "keep up with me and dont give up"...

Josh might get a few penalties but with the tight games he's awesome and with players like Marshall, McQueen, Taylor together they should calm the team down enough to win the tight ones!!!

Im pumped!!!
I'm pumped too, although I do find our team odd. We have a front row, but way too many backs of varying quality.

Of the older players we have recruited, we haven't really gone past the 30 mark. Newcastle in their rebuild went for the older players that will retire in 1-2 years. I think this will help us with one thing:

Grit.

We don't have flat batteries in our pack, Josh can play a full 80.

The hard part for us will be defense. We have a bunch of new players and they will need to learn who can be trusted to cover their spot and who will get overwhelmed. I am thinking Halfback and Fullback are our weakest positions.... Attacking combinations with Marshall and others around should happen, but defense will keep us out of the 8 this year.

That's fine, it's a 4 year bus trip.

bathursttiger
Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 80 times

Unread post by bathursttiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 5:19 pm

https://omny.fm/shows/summer-saturday-w ... h-reynolds

Good interview with the Grub and The Continuous Call team.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 93 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:02 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:35 am
formerguest wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
fibrodreaming wrote:

They're chalk and cheese, is at the top of his game, and has lots between his ears on the field, and is a quality kicker, and teams with him as a 6 seem to have a habit of making GFs.
Maloney wanted close to a Mill a year.
According to reports, Maloney’s deal is worth $2.5 million over three-years Plus some of Moylans TPA’s. Taking his annual earnings over 900k
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:21 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:02 pm
goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 9:35 am
formerguest wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

Not being wanted at Belmore, And big money is why he's here.

They're chalk and cheese, Maloney is at the top of his game, and has lots between his ears on the field, and is a quality kicker, and teams with him as a 6 seem to have a habit of making GFs.
Maloney wanted close to a Mill a year.
According to reports, Maloney’s deal is worth $2.5 million over three-years Plus some of Moylans TPA’s. Taking his annual earnings over 900k

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:30 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 2:22 pm
The argument regarding paying to much for Reynolds is realistically out the door,its the amount he will get while he is here with us for the next 4 years....if Ivan and Pascoe didn't see any value in Grub then I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have signed him..
Sometimes players of his age,wether backs or forwards,produce inspiring football as they are getting towards the end of their careers,they have plenty to offer to the younger guys on and off the field...
Josh Reynolds will end up being a very good buy and a dynamo with the fans..he is a good person and a pretty good footballer even if many don't see it that way...
Time will tell if our fans will mirror the Dogs fans, when it comes to Reynolds.
If he looses the stupid stuff that he's known for , and concentrates for The full game, they might. But it remains to be seen if he can do that.

Eddie
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Eddie » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:42 pm

Dogs fans loved him, however they didn't love his style of football. Lets not pretend that.

He had plenty of brain explosions in him last season in a side that went horrible.

He needs to lift. However its a fresh start so lets see what happens.

happy tiger
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:33 pm

Josh will be a good buy once we get the right players around him

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 1:22 pm

Eddie wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 6:42 pm
Dogs fans loved him, however they didn't love his style of football. Lets not pretend that.

He had plenty of brain explosions in him last season in a side that went horrible.

He needs to lift. However its a fresh start so lets see what happens.
I completely understand what you and many are saying about his game and brain explosions that have occurred,however,having said that,just for a moment stop and think outside the square about his playing ability as he was,he had to play to Haslers structures and may not have been suited to that style of coaching,the word frustration comes to mind in regards to the brain snaps he had,maybe Ivan who is a much more relaxed and people person he can get Josh to the level we all know he can compete at.I cant definitely say that Josh will come out and be the best footballer we have seen for a long time,but we must give him the benefit of the doubt as he will be in a completely new environment and culture to what he is used to,my money is on him becoming a really great buy for our club and he will be a leader of men when out on the field....Lets all have a little faith,we haven't had as much enthusiasm around as much as at the moment,hopefully it will continue for a few years to come...cheers guys and keep smiling.. :lol:
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Return to “Season 2018”