AN EMOTIONAL Benji Marshall has opened up on his rollercoaster rugby league career & the return “home” to Wests Tigers

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: AN EMOTIONAL Benji Marshall has opened up on his rollercoaster rugby league career & the return “home” to Wests Tig

Unread post by jadtiger » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:23 am

hammertime wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 8:42 am
Earl wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 8:36 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 11:59 pm
Earl wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 11:48 pm
Benji admits his mistake in relation to wearing that jumper and called up Cleary and wanted back in. He always showed respect to the club and the fans and considers himself a Tiger. Robbie may have had some issues but he gave his all for the Tigers.

Then you look at the prima-donnas like Tedesco who never showed the club respect and acted like complete and utter muppets.

Interesting the guy who tried to justify Tedesco's actions is on here crucifying Benji who led us to a premiership and was a driving force behind a period of time when we were a solid club. Benji made some mistakes but overall he has added so much to our club.
Tedesco is ancient history , as is Woods and Ava

Won't be easy to replace

I hope we kick every one's butts in 2018

Talking about Ava , funny how you never slated Ava like you did Woods and Tedesco

But hey , we are all different , takes all types to make the world go around
It's sometimes hard to face reality isn't it. You struggled then and you are struggling now. Those guys showed their character and embarrassed themselves and their family completely. Tedesco showed how bad a person he was recently as well when trying hitting on his mates missus. I consider people with low character like that a cancer.

Benji is a saint compared to someone like that.
Did anyone else pick up on that comment in an interview from Ivan where he said when he walked into the club, there was a disconnect in the playing group between some of the more elite players and the rest of the team which he didn't like.

I really wonder who he is talking about there. I don't think it would have been Woodsy, so all that is left is Mitch and Ted. Both?
I would say you are correct, in my mind it was a subtle dig at both Moses and Tedesco

Eddie
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Eddie » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:25 am

happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:
Benji admits his mistake in relation to wearing that jumper and called up Cleary and wanted back in. He always showed respect to the club and the fans and considers himself a Tiger. Robbie may have had some issues but he gave his all for the Tigers.

Then you look at the prima-donnas like Tedesco who never showed the club respect and acted like complete and utter muppets.

Interesting the guy who tried to justify Tedesco's actions is on here crucifying Benji who led us to a premiership and was a driving force behind a period of time when we were a solid club. Benji made some mistakes but overall he has added so much to our club.

Won't be easy to replace

Talking about Ava , funny how you never slated Ava like you did Woods and Tedesco

Ava left with a touch of class.

Shame about the others.

Eddie

Unread post by Eddie » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:27 am

jadtiger wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:23 am
hammertime wrote:
Earl wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Won't be easy to replace

It's sometimes hard to face reality isn't it. You struggled then and you are struggling now. Those guys showed their character and embarrassed themselves and their family completely. Tedesco showed how bad a person he was recently as well when trying hitting on his mates missus. I consider people with low character like that a cancer.

Did anyone else pick up on that comment in an interview from Ivan where he said when he walked into the club, there was a disconnect in the playing group between some of the more elite players and the rest of the team which he didn't like.

I really wonder who he is talking about there. I don't think it would have been Woodsy, so all that is left is Mitch and Ted. Both?
I would say you are correct, in my mind it was a subtle dig at both Moses and Tedesco
A not so subtle dig.

And backs up more fans opinions on those players character.

Yet Happy will bang on a bout Farah and Benji being cancers when the senior players of last year were disconnected to the rest of the group according to Cleary.

tigerap
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by tigerap » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:38 am

Its Benji Marshall day on FOX 502....gee we had a good team back then

Spud Murphy
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 88 times

Unread post by Spud Murphy » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 11:50 am

Eddie wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:27 am
jadtiger wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:23 am
hammertime wrote:
Earl wrote:

A not so subtle dig.

And backs up more fans opinions on those players character.

Yet Happy will bang on a bout Farah and Benji being cancers when the senior players of last year were disconnected to the rest of the group according to Cleary.

To be fair to Happy, Benji did dog it here in his last season, put on the Rugby jersey in public and couldn't be bothered putting in for the team because he thought he was above it all, and had the poops with being benched. Moses did the same because he also thought he was an elite player and wasn't being considered as a 'priority' signing. Both displayed petulant behaviour, but Benji has at least matured and admitted his mistake, albeit he is a lot older.

Sure Farah loved the Tigers and was a real clubman. However, at the time of all the turmoil between him and Taylor, many, many people on here were giving him all sorts, calling him a cancer and wondering why someone who supposedly loved the club so much was always trying to 'white ant' it all the time (remember he had the same dealings with Potter beforehand).

So yes it seems some of the more elite players were disconnected from the rest last season, according to Cleary. Not good, but also not so much different to the behaviour of both Marshall & Farah in their final years with us either. I'm all for giving people a second chance though, so hopefully Marshall can redeem himself somewhat with the team and the club next season.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 12:14 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Earl wrote:

Won't be easy to replace

Ava went on social media after he signed with the Sharks and thanked the supporters. He got a better offer from the Sharks that we were unwilling to match, so good luck to him. He left with class.

Contrast that with Woods who went on tv and announced he was leaving, and ran the club down in the process saying he wanted to play at a stable club. Funnily enough, the stable club he signed with sacked their club before he even got there.

barra
Has liked: 4 times

Unread post by barra » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 1:42 pm

I think a more mature Benji and a straight-shooting but considerate coach could work very well together.

I certainly hope so - not sure that I want to see Benji in the halves playing a major role but as he does seem a changed man, I'm open to it.

I do like that he loves the club. Having him back will be a boon on a few fronts if he plays well.

hammertime
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by hammertime » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 2:13 pm

barra wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 1:42 pm
I think a more mature Benji and a straight-shooting but considerate coach could work very well together.

I certainly hope so - not sure that I want to see Benji in the halves playing a major role but as he does seem a changed man, I'm open to it.

I do like that he loves the club. Having him back will be a boon on a few fronts if he plays well.
He doesn't even need to play, if Benji simply add's $100k to Brooks or Reynolds value by driving them or assisting with a more composed mentality, then he's paid back his wage.

Definitely the best backup half we've had since Austin.

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 4:57 pm

I'm sure there is a few things that some of us would do differently if we had the chance.
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

dazza65
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by dazza65 » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 5:06 pm

tigerap wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:38 am

Yep, almost makes me cry - we should have had one if not two additional premierships around 2010-2012......
----------------------------------------------
Tigers?!? - Driven mad since - 1969-201?

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 6:56 pm

dazza65 wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 5:06 pm
tigerap wrote:
Sat 25 Nov, 2017 10:38 am

Yep, almost makes me cry - we should have had one if not two additional premierships around 2010-2012......
Definitely should’ve won ‘10 or ‘11, Benji in his prime, Rowdy one of the best centres in the game, Ellis killing it, etc.

Hopefully we make up for it in the coming years!

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 4:00 am

Mature Marshall ready to deliver again

Wilson Smith

Tue 28th November, 03:00PM

“It’s definitely home," Benji Marshall said in his first press conference today.

"I felt nervous coming here, but also still relaxed at the same time.

"It's exciting to be back.”

It’s just the second day back at training for Life Member Benji Marshall and although a lot has changed, he sure is glad to be back home. Despite the many new faces at the club, Benji believes that there is still a great vibe around the club, and he's humbled to be back.

“Walking in here, I didn’t know what to expect," he said.

"I suppose the first thing was it was the same, but very different.

"A lot of the people that used to be here have moved on. A lot has changed, but the feeling here is the same and the reception I’ve had coming back, not only from the players, but the fans, and everyone involved. It’s been humbling and pretty amazing."

His return to Wests Tigers was seemingly a long time in the making, with Marshall wanting to come back several times after his stint with the Auckland Blues.

However, it wasn't until a sitting down with new Coach Ivan Cleary during 2017 that it all came together, and Marshall could complete what he felt was unfinished business with the club.

“It wasn’t actually a real possibility until I made that call and sat down to have coffee with him and told him where I thought I could fit in and what I thought I could add," he said.

"And we just sort of shook hands after that coffee.”

“At Brisbane, the goal was to be in the top 17 and I got to reach that.

"Especially towards the end of the year, I thought I contributed a lot toward the team.

"But this year, obviously there’s a lot of things that I can bring to the club in terms of experience, and mentoring a few of the young guys. But my priority is playing and providing input on the field and that’s what its about more than anything from me”.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... _read.html

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 203 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 6:32 am

I think he finally matured and grew up while he was away. I'm sure his failure in rugby, modest form at the Dragons, amd being relegated to QLD cup most weeks at the Broncos humbled him.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 7:48 am

Potter tried to make him accountable so he spat the dummy and left. I had no qualms with what Potter did, and I thought Benji behaved with petulance particularly when he flashed up in Auckland colours while still contracted to us. It looks as though in retrospect that Potter had the right idea with a number of senior players in the club in his time here.

I think it's a combo of failure in his union stint, run out of the Dragons and playing second fiddle at Brisbane as Gunners mentioned, but also that he probably realises the clock is winding down and he's coming to the end and he should appreciate whatever time he has out there while it lasts.

He looks to be more humble and more mature for his time away. Plus it can't hurt having an experienced player like Benji ready to come into the 17 if misfortune or poor form befalls our halves.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

tigerap
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 70 times

Unread post by tigerap » Wed 29 Nov, 2017 9:17 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 29 Nov, 2017 7:48 am
Potter tried to make him accountable so he spat the dummy and left. I had no qualms with what Potter did, and I thought Benji behaved with petulance particularly when he flashed up in Auckland colours while still contracted to us. It looks as though in retrospect that Potter had the right idea with a number of senior players in the club in his time here.

I think it's a combo of failure in his union stint, run out of the Dragons and playing second fiddle at Brisbane as Gunners mentioned, but also that he probably realises the clock is winding down and he's coming to the end and he should appreciate whatever time he has out there while it lasts.

He looks to be more humble and more mature for his time away. Plus it can't hurt having an experienced player like Benji ready to come into the 17 if misfortune or poor form befalls our halves.
He is here for Marketing reasons first and foremost and as a backup to the halves if and when needed....

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 7:19 am

Oh really? Thanks for filling me in... :roll:
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

supercoach
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 8:03 am

Plenty of people seem to think Benji is going to be our X factor. The way I see it, he is a marketing tool no1, mentor no2 and back up for the spine no3. He showed at both the Dragons and the Brooks that nothing has much changed except he has lost his best weapon..pace. By that I mean it was still rocks and diamonds.

Don’t get me wrong I think he is probably a really good guy to have at the club, but I really doubt he will be the guy who makes the big difference on the paddock. Love to be wrong

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Thu 30 Nov, 2017 9:52 am

Im going to go out there a bit and say that with Benji back at the club the team,the club as a whole and the fanbase will increase,especially if he gets to play in the NRL side regularly ie top 17...HE IS A DRAW CARD however you want to recognise him,be it player,mentor or PR man...this is truly a great move by Ivan....always remember that people love to reminiss about past glory,maybe he can produce something to bring that old excitement back...like everything in life..you never never know unless you have a go....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Return to “Season 2018”