AN EMOTIONAL Benji Marshall has opened up on his rollercoaster rugby league career & the return “home” to Wests Tigers

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: AN EMOTIONAL Benji Marshall has opened up on his rollercoaster rugby league career & the return “home” to Wests Tig

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:45 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:33 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:45 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:15 pm
yeti wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:09 pm

It makes perfect sense to me: An able back up half, great experience helping out the younger guys, an excellent football brain - and probably not a hell of a lot of coin tied up.
What doesn't make sense?
It's 2017 not 2005

His tank is empty and we wasted some salary cap on being feel good ,nicey nice

Fine put him on the coaching staff if you want , but don't waste valuable salary space on a has been

We can't compete as it is with the other teams and we go and put ourselves further behind the eight ball
Valuable salary cap space? We're still well unders on spend. Signing Benji hasn't ruined anything for us. He'll be handy when the injuries hit.
If we are still well unders CB we have a lot of issues , if we haven't spent within 500 k of the total cap as of June 1 we can and will get fined

Too many getting soft in their old age , Benji Marshall admitted he gassed it for a couple of seasons , kicked us in the guts by showing up showing everyone he was playing for the Blues in another code and now everyone is willing to forgive him now because he "deserves " the right to finish here

And if anyone thinks he is just getting the league minimum , keep dreaming , Benji has proven cash it what keeps his eyes rolling and he wouldn't take less than what Brisbane was offering

His Mrs Zoe had a radio gig in Brisbane plus whatever she had going so she wasn't in any hurry to leave Brisbane

Give me a break , please :roll: , stop believing whatever garbage oozes out his mouth

I'm betting despite what is being said that this was management / directors trying to buy some love from the members
Garbage! It’s obvious what Cleary and the club are doing. They are trying to bring passion and belief into the Tigers. That’s why Marshall is here - and Hodgson and Reynolds. The new recruits are mostly no nonsense heads down bums up type players- that to give us some backbone (add Ron Palmer in for that reason). So far all signings astute and well thought through IMO

kiwitiger
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by kiwitiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:47 pm

Positive headline about next year! This time last year was all about the selfish 4 (-1). So we are already ahead, a few more memberships will be sold with stories like this.

Eddie
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:50 pm

happy tiger wrote:
yeti wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 12:56 pm
Sorry I can't get that picture on that fateful Saturday with Benji in his Auckland Blues jersey and his lacklustre performances in 2012 and 2013

It might be all warm ,cuddly and feel good , but it makes no rugby league sense to me
It makes perfect sense to me: An able back up half, great experience helping out the younger guys, an excellent football brain - and probably not a hell of a lot of coin tied up.
What doesn't make sense?
It's 2017 not 2005

Fine put him on the coaching staff if you want , but don't waste valuable salary space on a has been

We can't compete as it is with the other teams and we go and put ourselves further behind the eight ball
Ivan saw value in him. Thats good enough for me. He knows a bit about rebuilding clubs/train wrecks.

happy tiger
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:57 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:45 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

It's 2017 not 2005

Valuable salary cap space? We're still well unders on spend. Signing Benji hasn't ruined anything for us. He'll be handy when the injuries hit.
If we are still well unders CB we have a lot of issues , if we haven't spent within 500 k of the total cap as of June 1 we can and will get fined

Too many getting soft in their old age , Benji Marshall admitted he gassed it for a couple of seasons , kicked us in the guts by showing up showing everyone he was playing for the Blues in another code and now everyone is willing to forgive him now because he "deserves " the right to finish here

And if anyone thinks he is just getting the league minimum , keep dreaming , Benji has proven cash it what keeps his eyes rolling and he wouldn't take less than what Brisbane was offering

His Mrs Zoe had a radio gig in Brisbane plus whatever she had going so she wasn't in any hurry to leave Brisbane

Give me a break , please :roll: , stop believing whatever garbage oozes out his mouth

I'm betting despite what is being said that this was management / directors trying to buy some love from the members
Garbage! It’s obvious what Cleary and the club are doing. They are trying to bring passion and belief into the Tigers. That’s why Marshall is here - and Hodgson and Reynolds. The new recruits are mostly no nonsense heads down bums up type players- that to give us some backbone (add Ron Palmer in for that reason). So far all signings astute and well thought through IMO
So what's garbage ??

Benji has admitted it HIMSELF he gassed it at the WT's

Zoe said she loved Brisbane and didn't want to leave (unless she was speaking BS at a radio station promotional event )

If we are not spending 95% of our cap by June 1 we can get fined

The Saturday morning after a Friday night game , he was in Auckland Blues jersey showing to the RaRa fans

I don't believe anything Benji says because he lied to all of us speaking about his passion for the WT's , while accusing the WT's of screwing him over and then admits later to getting lazy and lacking passion in his last few seasons here

But take him back by all means , we have brought back twelve of the Premiership players of 2005

Pity those calls didn't bring a season where we actually won 12/17 games hey

I'll shut up now , this garbage must be hurting everyone's eyes and ears by now

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:02 pm

momo&medo wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:25 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:37 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Sorry I can't get that picture on that fateful Saturday with Benji in his Auckland Blues jersey and his lacklustre performances in 2012 and 2013

It might be all warm ,cuddly and feel good , but it makes no rugby league sense to me
It doesn't if we're playing Reynolds in reserve grade to make way for him.

He'll be in reggies or coming off the bench. the only time he'll wear a jersey with a single digit on it in first grade is if Reynolds and Brooks are both out at once.
Totally disagree.
You can revisit my post at the end of 2018 season.
Welcome back Benji!
You disagree with me or Happy? Because it sounds like you and I both agree that Benji coming back is a good thing?
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 65 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:57 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
happy tiger wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:

So what's garbage ??

Zoe said she loved Brisbane and didn't want to leave (unless she was speaking BS at a radio station promotional event )

The Saturday morning after a Friday night game , he was in Auckland Blues jersey showing to the RaRa fans

I don't believe anything Benji says because he lied to all of us speaking about his passion for the WT's , while accusing the WT's of screwing him over and then admits later to getting lazy and lacking passion in his last few seasons here

But take him back by all means , we have brought back twelve of the Premiership players of 2005

Happy, i'm relatively new to this forum and by all the recent back-slapping, you are obviously a long term veteran - good on you and you are entitled to your opinion. What's garbage from my perspective is the constant negativity around our team. it's not constructive - just full on negativity. Anyway, maybe I was too strong with the word garbage, and you can write what you like but PLEASE.... list 5 things that the Tigers are doing that you think take us in the right direction....

TigersBusDriver
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by TigersBusDriver » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:09 pm

Happy, I would much rather have Benji as a back-up half than Rankin or Hunt. Simple as that. Remove all the history and emotion from the signing, he admitted he messed up in his final years. Move on.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:21 pm

Jesus Christ happy, he's a bargain signing and there's no expectation on him to deliver another 2005.

He'll be on the bench or in reggies, he will not start over Grub or Brooks.

Hyperbole deluxe there.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

momo&medo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:52 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:02 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 3:25 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 1:37 pm
happy tiger wrote:

It doesn't if we're playing Reynolds in reserve grade to make way for him.

He'll be in reggies or coming off the bench. the only time he'll wear a jersey with a single digit on it in first grade is if Reynolds and Brooks are both out at once.
Totally disagree.
You can revisit my post at the end of 2018 season.
Welcome back Benji!
You disagree with me or Happy? Because it sounds like you and I both agree that Benji coming back is a good thing?
Well both I guess.
Look I think that both Reynolds and Benji will assist, benefit, educate, redefine or whatever ....... Brooks into a consistently good player he should already be and what we desperately need. If not we are going to be @#$&. And the experiment fails .... particularly as far as our future 1/2 back is concerned.

I can see why people on this forum have doubts about both Reynolds and Benji.
But I saw enough change in Benji’s attitude and play late last year to believe that he will be an asset.

All that I will say about Reynolds is that he reminds me somewhat of the Tommy Raudonikis temperament, aggression, leadership and never say die attitude. Tommy in his time had his distractors about his shortcomings as a really really great player ..... but, just like Reynolds, was hated by oposition players and fans, because he drove his troops relentlessly and never surrendered.

That’s the sort of player I wanted to see at Wests Tigers and not the capitan pretender and two pussies who left us because “ things got too hard”.

So yea I in a way disagree with both you and Happy about that aspect of the team for next year. But we will just have to wait and see how things pan out and whose predictions materialise.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:54 pm

Benji , for me is a great option. He said in the interview Brooks and Gubb will start in 1st grade. He’ll be helping at training and used as back up .
I don’t get the negativity with this signing.
Who else do you want for Reggie’s/ back up halves. ?
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

hugh1954
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by hugh1954 » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:15 pm

Not saying Benji is a great signing but i was impressed how he handled the Bronco experience and feel that he now understands the positive role he can now exhibit at the tigers as long as he keeps the fitness level he worked so hard for at the broncs and transfers it to the tigers when we need an experienced backup. Good work again Ivan !!!!!!!

tigeress
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by tigeress » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:43 pm

happy tiger wrote:
yeti wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

What doesn't make sense?
It's 2017 not 2005

I think some of your comments are a bit harsh HT. I think Benji will be an asset to our club, whether as a player, on the bench or mentoring players.
Good to have you back Benji :master:

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:53 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

So what's garbage ??

Happy, i'm relatively new to this forum and by all the recent back-slapping, you are obviously a long term veteran - good on you and you are entitled to your opinion. What's garbage from my perspective is the constant negativity around our team. it's not constructive - just full on negativity. Anyway, maybe I was too strong with the word garbage, and you can write what you like but PLEASE.... list 5 things that the Tigers are doing that you think take us in the right direction....
1 / We've stop backending contracts

2/ Many members seem happy and numbers are up

3/ We've picked up some promising youngsters from other clubs that seem to have the goods (Twal ,Gibbs , Eisenhuth , Smith )

4/ Our depth looks better on paper

5/ The majority of people are on board with Cleary , that hasn't been the case with a coach since 2010/11 with Sheens

6/ Best front row stocks the club has had period (maybe a toss up with 2011 )

Happy ............ ??

Sorry mate I don't think I'm all that and more , I suppose you see Forum fans come into a season with all hope of a great season and many look at this club wearing tangerine ,white and black sunnies on

By Round 20 they have 20/20 vision and seem they want to jump off the roof of Leichhardt

I call what I see sorry , I'm not everyone's cup of tea

But I won't BS to myself or to forum members about my thoughts on our hopes in 2018

A Top 12 finish is going to be an uphill battle , and then if that doesn't occur half the fans will call for Cleary's head , which would be a massive mistake

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:53 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 2:53 pm
happy tiger wrote:

Which NRL club do you really support?
Agreed....

Happy,

Is there anybody in this team that meets, let alone exceeds, your high levels of expectations?

Eddie
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Eddie » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:03 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 5:53 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:

So what's garbage ??

1 / We've stop backending contracts

2/ Many members seem happy and numbers are up

3/ We've picked up some promising youngsters from other clubs that seem to have the goods (Twal ,Gibbs , Eisenhuth , Smith )

4/ Our depth looks better on paper

5/ The majority of people are on board with Cleary , that hasn't been the case with a coach since 2010/11 with Sheens

6/ Best front row stocks the club has had period (maybe a toss up with 2011 )

Happy ............ ??

Sorry mate I don't think I'm all that and more , I suppose you see Forum fans come into a season with all hope of a great season and many look at this club wearing tangerine ,white and black sunnies on

By Round 20 they have 20/20 vision and seem they want to jump off the roof of Leichhardt

I call what I see sorry , I'm not everyone's cup of tea

But I won't BS to myself or to forum members about my thoughts on our hopes in 2018

A Top 12 finish is going to be an uphill battle , and then if that doesn't occur half the fans will call for Cleary's head , which would be a massive mistake

Im kind of with you there.

I have some grave reservations about us next season.

Not thrilled with a couple of our signings.

However I am looking forward to us being a physical team that wont be stood over (hopefully)

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:04 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Agreed....

Happy,

Is there anybody in this team that meets, let alone exceeds, your high levels of expectations?
What do forum members have to pass some Forum exam now Lidcombe Magpie and if you don't support the side exactly the way the majority want your gone ??

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:11 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:04 pm
Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Agreed....

Happy,

What do forum members have to pass some Forum exam now Lidcombe Magpie and if you don't support the side exactly the way the majority want your gone ??
I don't think people want you gone!

And everybody is entitled to their option.

I just think that at times you may be far to critical of the Club and its players

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:19 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:11 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:04 pm
Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:

Agreed....

Happy,

I don't think people want you gone!

And everybody is entitled to their option.

I just think that at times you may be far to critical of the Club and its players
Was talking about any member who doesn't fit inside the square or agree with everything or everyone that the club has done or signed

Funnily enough just a few posts above gave 6 positives , yet you happily ignored that

Return to “Season 2018”