AN EMOTIONAL Benji Marshall has opened up on his rollercoaster rugby league career & the return “home” to Wests Tigers

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: AN EMOTIONAL Benji Marshall has opened up on his rollercoaster rugby league career & the return “home” to Wests Tig

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 5:54 pm

Win/win situation for mine. Benji has admitted his mistakes, paid the price, served his time, and changed his game, so I see no reason not to embrace his return.

NT Tiger
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by NT Tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:32 pm

The only possible negative I can see is if he gets too tied up in the media crap again. Prodigal son returns.....
"Quality Stupidity"

happy tiger
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 32 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:58 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:48 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 11:09 am
Apparently Happy knows better than Cleary, Bennett and the WT & Broncos management as all those parties were happy to have him on in 2018.

They've all got rocks in their heads.
Benji didn't sign Happy's flag that Day... :cry:
EB and I were joking the other day that of all the players he got signatures and pictures (which is all in frame on his wall ) in Townsville only one player is left

Rowdy

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by formerguest » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:25 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 6:32 pm
The only possible negative I can see is if he gets too tied up in the media crap again. Prodigal son returns.....
The flip side is the exposure the club gains.

NT Tiger

Unread post by NT Tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:24 pm

formerguest wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:25 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Yeah I agree. There are plenty of positive PR possibilities. I think the club needs to keep an eye on things though so no individual distracts from the performance of the team.
"Quality Stupidity"

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:27 am

NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:24 pm
formerguest wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:
Yeah I agree. There are plenty of positive PR possibilities. I think the club needs to keep an eye on things though so no individual distracts from the performance of the team.
I think you maybe underselling the changes that have occurred at the top level of the Club over the past couple of years. In the past, the management were not the best performers in their jobs. The current management have brought a higher standard of performance to our Club.
For Benji to receive the plaudits he received from Wayne Bennett in the video suggests to me he will prove to be a VERY GOOD SIGNING.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 89 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 11:37 am

MightyMaggy wrote:
Thu 16 Nov, 2017 8:27 am
NT Tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:24 pm
formerguest wrote:
NT Tiger wrote:
I think you maybe underselling the changes that have occurred at the top level of the Club over the past couple of years. In the past, the management were not the best performers in their jobs. The current management have brought a higher standard of performance to our Club.
For Benji to receive the plaudits he received from Wayne Bennett in the video suggests to me he will prove to be a VERY GOOD SIGNING.
Yes. Wayne didn't have to do that. He must have really appreciated what Benji bought to the Bronco's in 2017.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

TigerSJ
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 11:37 am

I see Benji as not only a legend at the Tigers but as a legend of the game. Some of you guys have short memories - Benji brought a whole new style to the game and a flare that excited ALL fans - sure that was then, but he can still play far better than any of the back-ups we have had in the halves over recent years. And he has probably cost us similar money to those guys. Furthermore there can be no denying the draw card he still is with kids, sponsors and media. Sure, there may be a bit of cheesy sentiment going on but it's got to be better than a lot of the negative press we've had for so long. Another thing... going on how many games Reynolds and Brooks were out with injury this season, I think we'll be bloody thankful that we have Benji.
I'll guarantee that when he retires and gets the big send off that he deserves there'll be plenty of nostalgia and thousands of fans with teary eyes cheering him!!
I can't see how all of this isn't positive for the WT's.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 12:15 pm

Bring on the cheese. My guilty confession is that I didn't go to a single game last year, despite having a ticketed membership (First time since 2003 I haven't gone once.)

I know it's overly emotional to some, but things like this will matter to a lot of fans. The PR battle is important in terms of attracting higher caliber players, last year we were smashed by the media, but if they sense a more cohesive fan base, without any major divisive issues at the club, then that will turn around.

NT Tiger

Unread post by NT Tiger » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 9:27 pm

"Quality Stupidity"

willow
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by willow » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 10:57 pm

Marshall eyes starting halves role at Tigers

Thu 16 Nov, 2017, 6:00pm
By Margie McDonald‌, Senior Reporter‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com
@MadgetheBadge

Wests Tigers recruit Benji Marshall is not returning to his old club to simply be an encyclopedia on how to orchestrate attacking plays.

He wants to push for a starting role in the halves and coach Ivan Cleary has given him the green light to do so.

The 268-NRL game veteran reports to the club’s Concord Oval base on Friday for a barrage of sports medicine and other high-performance tests before fulltime pre-season training starts next Friday.

He announced last August that while the Brisbane Broncos helped save his career in 2017, he had “unfinished business” at Wests Tigers, the club he helped deliver a premiership to in 2005.

Cleary is only too happy to accommodate that request.

“He will help drive what we want to do here. He wants to help the club improve on and off the field. I think it’s great he’s back here – it’s fantastic,” Cleary told NRL.com.

“He brings a tremendous amount of goodwill to the team. When I got here last year there was a sense of disconnect between some of the more high-profile guys at the club with the others.

“It didn’t sit well with me, and I’m not blaming anyone, but it’s nice to hear someone like Benji who loves the club and wants to come back.”

The benefits to Cleary as he puts his team together with other high-profile acquisitions like Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino, are immeasurable.

To the outsider, Marshall’s role will be similar to that at the Broncos last season – coming off the interchange bench as a back-up for the halves and possibly at fullback.

But Cleary is more than happy to sit back and watch Marshall battle with Reynolds and Luke Brooks for a spot in either the No.6 or No.7 jersey.

‘’In his own words, he’s looking to help those guys, but he wants to play there too,” Cleary said. “I don’t know how it all pans out in the end but he’s prepared to play that role.

“He thinks he’s still good enough to play, so if he’s the best option, then he’s the best option. But he’s also got to understand that we’ve invested a fair bit in our halves and we want to give them the best opportunity as well. So for me, it’s a really good situation to have.”

There’s no secret as to how Marshall can press his case.

“He’s just got to work hard in pre-season like everyone else,” the coach said.

Then he will have two trials against North Queensland Cowboys in Cairns and Cronulla Sharks at Campbelltown to force his way into the run-on side.

Like most Tigers fans, Cleary wants to see Brooks, who turns 23 in December, take more steps forward in his development. Marshall could be the key there. He left the joint-venture club the same year as Brooks made his debut in 2013.

“Luke is excited and so he should be. He had pictures of Benji up on his wall and now he gets this chance to work much more closely with him,” Cleary said.

“Josh (Reynolds) is equally excited as well. With Benji offering to help them as much as he can, and still wanting to be competitive with them in those positions, it’s a fairly unique situation, but a great one for us.

“Some guys are comfortable enough in their own skin and where they are at and Benji’s one of those. Guys like (Broncos half) Ben Hunt and (Anthony) Milford, Benji drove them hard and tried to improve them, while at the same time sitting on their tails which made them do their job.

“It’s a big couple of years for Luke I’m confident he can shoulder that responsibility.”

Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 39 times

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:00 am

“He brings a tremendous amount of goodwill to the team. When I got here last year there was a sense of disconnect between some of the more high-profile guys at the club with the others.

Interesting comment. I guess some already knew and others assumed something wasn't right in the playing group. Doesn't matter now who was to blame but I'm glad they are looking to fix this.

I am looking forward to next season more and more.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by formerguest » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 1:02 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 12:00 am

Interesting comment. I guess some already knew and others assumed something wasn't right in the playing group. Doesn't matter now who was to blame but I'm glad they are looking to fix this.

I am looking forward to next season more and more.
Gotta be the three amigos that high tailed it outta the club that were being referred to.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Masterton » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 7:59 am

colmcd wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:02 am
Brooks played well under Marshall.
What, for one game in 2013 when Benji was in the centres?

Happy to have Benji back, but let's not pretend they have any real history.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

beachtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by beachtiger » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:53 am

Masterton wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 7:59 am
colmcd wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:02 am
Brooks played well under Marshall.
What, for one game in 2013 when Benji was in the centres?

Happy to have Benji back, but let's not pretend they have any real history.
They may have only played one game together but Brooks was part of the full time NRL squad at that point so you'd think they would have spent a fair bit of time together at training.

TigerSJ
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by TigerSJ » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 2:45 pm

Thanks for the article Willow - the quotes from Ivan say it all. I am willing to trust in Ivan and I am looking forward to see this scenario play out. You never know - if Benji has got the form then we might see him at 5/8 and Reynolds at DH, I reckon that could be a great option as long as Benji's up to it.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by old man tiger » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 2:55 pm

Wow, for a coach to say that is pretty honest. I'm shocked at the lack of spin.

Good on you Ivan.

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 121 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 4:35 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Fri 17 Nov, 2017 2:55 pm
Wow, for a coach to say that is pretty honest. I'm shocked at the lack of spin.

Good on you Ivan.
Shocked......yes
Impressed..........Absolutely!

Return to “Season 2018”