Ronnie Palmer-finally-comes-home-to-wests-Tigers

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Ronnie Palmer-finally-comes-home-to-wests-Tigers

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:08 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... zl836.html

From the SMH

Ronnie Palmer, the game's most recognised trainer, is finally coming home.

More than four decades after playing for Balmain, Palmer is the latest new face at the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers have been the most active club in the player market, with signings including Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Ben Matulino, Chris McQueen, Robbie Rochow, Corey Thompson, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Benji Marshall.

However, their coaching staff will also have a fresh look with the addition of favourite son Brett Hodgson, while Palmer and former Broncos staffer Steve Hooper – currently in camp with the Kangaroos – head up the high-performance unit.

Palmer was head trainer at the Roosters for 24 years and more recently worked at Penrith and Parramatta. But the chance to return to the club he played for was too good to refuse.

"I'm going back to where it all began, as they say," Palmer said. "My first year [as a player] at the Tigers was '71 and I had five years there. Whenever I'm doing any team, as the song says, you've got to love the one you're with.

"I played as a local junior at the Balmain club. I still live in the area, I've never moved out so it's always been close to my heart."

The Tigers are in a rebuilding phase, something Palmer knows plenty about. He helped Tigers coach Ivan Cleary with Penrith's rebuild when they were at the foot of the mountains and also assisted Brad Arthur's turnaround of Parramatta. Now the man affectionately known as "40-20", "The Cougar" and "The Balmain Chalmer" is going back to where it all began.

"It was a tough decision because the Eels are obviously on the up, they've got a good coach and their CEO is a good mate of mine," Palmer said.

"Things are really going to happen for the Eels and I had the chance to stay there. But this is another good challenge for me and I've had a good working relationship with Ivan for a long time. I had him as a player and we got together at Penrith and tried to create something there.

"It's a fabulous challenge. They have some exciting young players and it's refreshing."

Cleary said the addition of Palmer and Hodgson to the joint-venture outfit would be of great benefit to the team's preparations for the 2018 season.

"I've worked with Ronnie before as a player and coach," Cleary said.

"His experience will be invaluable and he's an ex-Tiger, so he will fit right in there as well. That's where it all started for him and he's always lived in the area.

"Brett Hodgson was part of the premiership-winning team and is a club favourite. He's done really well in the coaching ranks in England. We've got some good additions and have kept some very capable staff as well ,so it's a good mix."
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

happy tiger
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 73 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:24 pm

Bust them in half Ronnie , make them the physically and mentally fittest side in the comp please

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 84 times

Unread post by willow » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:53 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 6:24 pm
Bust them in half Ronnie , make them the physically and mentally fittest side in the comp please
That's the hope isn't it? In the backhalf of last season we showed we can compete with good sides for 60 minutes. Playing for the full 80 and not having those critical lapses in concentration is the key we've been missing for so long.

Hbom
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Hbom » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:53 pm

I would get them watching a video of hodgo before every training session. 78kg wringing wet and putting the body on the line to make it out of the in-goal. If that doesn't inspire nothing will. In the conversation for toughest ever tigers our hodgo.

ku5tom
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by ku5tom » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 9:18 pm

Will be great to have Palmer on the team after how disappointing and under cooked this years team were, we might have played semis if it was a 60 minute game.

I remember the coaching staff said it was the biggest preseason ever this year, team just didn't have the gas for a full 80.

Munk
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 11:56 pm

The squad will be either superfit, competing for the full 80 or theyll suffer the injury devastation that Penrith did last time Palmer and Ivan worked together. Hopefully the first option comes true.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 7:21 am

A mate of mine played with Ronnie at Balmain. They both still have the MO's , them and one other used to get called the three amigos.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Toowoomba Tiger

Unread post by Toowoomba Tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:59 am

Palmer sounds like a good fit. Anyone know if Andrew Webster will still be on the coaching staff.
previously known as 'The Tooth'

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:23 am

Toowoomba Tiger wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:59 am
Palmer sounds like a good fit. Anyone know if Andrew Webster will still be on the coaching staff.
Both Webster and Sandercock remain for next year..

Hodgson and Skandalis will be Coaching ISP with Hodgson also NRL assistant..

Craig Wilson is the new Junior State 20's Coach..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Toowoomba Tiger

Unread post by Toowoomba Tiger » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks Geo.
Any info on Craig Wilson?
previously known as 'The Tooth'

tigeress
Has liked: 3 times

Unread post by tigeress » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:47 pm

Hbom wrote:
Tue 14 Nov, 2017 7:53 pm
I would get them watching a video of hodgo before every training session. 78kg wringing wet and putting the body on the line to make it out of the in-goal. If that doesn't inspire nothing will. In the conversation for toughest ever tigers our hodgo.
Agree :master: I am more excited that Brett Hodgson is back at our club, than any of the other player signings we've made :crazy I echo your sentiments totally :righton:

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:08 pm

tigeress wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 12:47 pm
Hbom wrote:
Agree :master: I am more excited that Brett Hodgson is back at our club, than any of the other player signings we've made :crazy I echo your sentiments totally :righton:
Aside from being criminally under rated outside the Wests Tigers. He was the last Magpie :(

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 391 times

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:20 pm

MG1962 wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:08 pm
tigeress wrote:
Hbom wrote:
Aside from being criminally under rated outside the Wests Tigers. He was the last Magpie :(
Skandalis an big Ray Cashmere disagree..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Munk
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by Munk » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:27 pm

Was Hodgo really criminally underrated?
He was a prominant member of the great Parra side that lost to Newie in 2001. He won with us, got dally m fullback of the year, played origins, won man of steel in SL....he was rated.

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 3:16 pm

Geo. wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:20 pm
MG1962 wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:08 pm
tigeress wrote:
Hbom wrote:
Skandalis an big Ray Cashmere disagree..
Well Skando retired in 2010
Cashmere in 2012
Hodgson in mid 2013

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 3:45 pm

Munk wrote:
Wed 15 Nov, 2017 1:27 pm
Was Hodgo really criminally underrated?
He was a prominant member of the great Parra side that lost to Newie in 2001. He won with us, got dally m fullback of the year, played origins, won man of steel in SL....he was rated.
I don't think he was underrated but, his form did trail off a bit towards the end of his NRL career. A lot of injuries and such. But, nah at the height of his career I remember him being considered one of the best fullbacks in the game along with Bowen and Slater. He even went over to England after his career with us and won the Man of Steel award. What a legend.

WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Return to “Season 2018”