Ben Matulino couldn't say no to Ivan Cleary a second time

wt00
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 75 times

Ben Matulino couldn't say no to Ivan Cleary a second time

Unread post by wt00 » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 9:53 am

Ben Matulino, having once knocked back overtures to rejoin Ivan Cleary in Sydney, couldn't bring himself to do it again.

Matulino is one of Wests Tigers' big-name recruits for 2018, continuing an association with Cleary that began at the Warriors. The Kiwis prop first flirted with a move to Sydney in his teens, but his dream of one day becoming an All Black ultimately resulted in him turning down the Newcastle Knights. The harder decision was knocking back Cleary when his former Warriors mentor tried to bring him to the foot of the mountains.

"In 2014 Ivan was head coach at Penrith and I was probably a day away from signing with Penrith," Matulino revealed.

"I was close to signing with them, but ended up staying at the Warriors. Then Ivan came knocking again and I couldn't refuse the offer.

"He's the one that gave me my debut and brought me up to full-time training at the Warriors.

"I have a lot of respect for him and he's shown me a lot of faith."

The Tigers have been the most active team in the player market. Their new faces include Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, Chris McQueen, Robbie Rochow, Corey Thompson, Mahe Fonua, Taane Milne and Benji Marshall.

In Matulino's case, the chance to play under Cleary again was a huge attraction.

"I just know how he works and goes about his business," Matulino said.

"I came to the Warriors at a time when a lot of players were leaving and new players were coming in. He did that with Penrith as well and at the Tigers and I wanted to come in on the back of that.

"Just his approach to coaching stood out for me. He's pretty simple in what he wants, he doesn't say much, but gets his message across really well. You don't want to upset him in any way, so you want to play for him.

"That's what I remember of Ivan when he was head coach at the Warriors and I'm really looking forward to that. He's already shown signs of it."

Another motivator was playing up front again with Packer. The front-rowers have known each other since they were teens and their bond was further strengthened during campaigns for the Warriors and Kiwis.

"Part of the decision to come over, I gave him a call and – if you've ever met Russell – you'd know he is straight up," Matulino said.

"He goes, 'all the Australian teams don't think you'll leave home'.

"I told him I was pretty serious about it this time. We got talking and he goes, 'If you end up signing with the Tigers, I might come with you, because I'm meeting Ivan a couple of days after you'.

"The next phone call, I told him I'd signed and he said 'sweet'. It made his decision easier.

"It will be good to link up. He's had a massive season for St George and he's playing some good footy for the Kiwis at the moment."

The addition of Matulino to the Tigers will help offset the loss of Aaron Woods to the Bulldogs. The move provides the 28-year-old, rated by some pundits as the game's top prop just a few years ago, a fresh start after an injury-interrupted season.

"That was the biggest down point in my career – I pride myself on being durable throughout the season," Matulino said of a season curtailed due to knee surgery.

"Having to sit out the first eight weeks of the competition was pretty tough and pushed my recovery a bit too much; I came back too early.

"The main reason I came over to Australia was for a fresh start.

"The timing was perfect when Ivan got the job at the Tigers – he approached me after that. It all worked in smoothly."
http://amp.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... zo1h0.html
The star of the team is the team.

GNR4LIFE
Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 204 times

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:27 am

So one of the reasons he signed with us was for the opportunity to play with Packer again, despite the fact he signed before Packer?

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by willow » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:41 am

I think the main thing to take away is the fact he wanted to be coached by Ivan. The fact that he and Packer are mates doesn't hurt, but I like the way Cleary has recruited, I think we will see a far more united Tigers side next season.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 12:39 pm

Lets hope that we can call IC "Ivan the Terrific" by season's end

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 393 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 1:00 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:27 am
So one of the reasons he signed with us was for the opportunity to play with Packer again, despite the fact he signed before Packer?
It just says he discussed the move to Sydney with Packer..then informed him he had signed..Packer's meeting with Cleary followed ..Matulino signing may have influenced Packer is the way I take it..that and Cash..

How these two go will play a large part in how successful 2018 will be..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 229 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 4:47 pm

I like the way he plays and will like it even more if Ivan can bring out the form that he has already shown he is capable of. Looking forward to seeing him on field in WT colours.

Fibros
Been liked: 8 times

Unread post by Fibros » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 6:09 pm

I think Matulino and Reynolds are our best signings.

I expect a massive year from Mats and Reynolds to be the glue. They are as important as each other to our success.

Has liked: 440 times
Been liked: 121 times

Unread post by 851 » Sun 19 Nov, 2017 7:10 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 1:00 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 19 Nov, 2017 10:27 am
It just says he discussed the move to Sydney with Packer..then informed him he had signed..Packer's meeting with Cleary followed ..Matulino signing may have influenced Packer is the way I take it..that and Cash..

How these two go will play a large part in how successful 2018 will be..
That is how I read it too, Packer probably signed because of Cleary and Mataulino, Mataulino signed because of Cleary.
Go hard or go home

Enmoretiger
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Enmoretiger » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:12 am

Not since Sheens have we had a Coach who players wanted to play under, West Tigers is just the conduit for these guys.
2018 forward pack is going to be a huge improvement on what we have had for years.
Can not wait to be on the hill at our home ground and watch the forwards dominate a game. I would have to go back to 88 and 89 for those memories.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 7:09 pm

Enmoretiger wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:12 am
Not since Sheens have we had a Coach who players wanted to play under, West Tigers is just the conduit for these guys.
2018 forward pack is going to be a huge improvement on what we have had for years.
Can not wait to be on the hill at our home ground and watch the forwards dominate a game. I would have to go back to 88 and 89 for those memories.
It’s a good mix isn’t it. Mats, Packer, McQueen, ET, Lawrence, Grant, Sue, Eiso, Twal, Aloiai & maybe Marsters. Plenty of experience, aggression, enthusiasm, leadership & workhorses in that lot!

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 7:09 pm

Enmoretiger wrote:
Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:12 am
It’s a good mix isn’t it. Mats, Packer, McQueen, ET, Lawrence, Grant, Sue, Eiso, Twal, Aloiai & maybe Marsters. Plenty of experience, aggression, enthusiasm, leadership & workhorses in that lot!

Return to “Season 2018”