Wests Tigers recruit Sam McIntyre happy to develop slowly

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Wests Tigers recruit Sam McIntyre happy to develop slowly

Unread post by Tacky » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:49 am

SLOW and steady wins the race. Sam McIntyre is under no illusions that his journey to the National Rugby League will be hard work, and slow progress.

But he is willing to make the sacrifices and embrace patience to ensure his dream becomes a reality.

The former Port Macquarie Sharks junior played all of his football in the town until being scooped up by the Newcastle Knights when he was a teenager.

Playing in their junior system, he often returned to continue to play for Port Macquarie where he won a first grade premiership.

In 2017, he was a stand out starting second rower for the Knights under-20s team, playing 80 minutes most weeks and impressing – so much so that the Wests Tigers offered him a three year full time contract starting in 2018.

He had 10 days to settle into Sydney before beginning his training and meeting coach Ivan Cleary for the first time – as well as big names like Benji Marshall, Luke Brooks, Josh Reynolds, Chris Lawrence and Ben Matulino.

“We had a meeting, all of the new recruits, and then a few days later we had our first training session to ease us into the club’s systems,” he said.

“We train five days a week, and sometimes six days with a Saturday. In saying that, it’s not too demanding.

“It’s good being full time and always thinking about making myself better as an athlete, and doing everything I can to be a better person and a player.”

It can be a difficult task transitioning to the big smoke, around players who have won premierships when McIntyre was still crawling around in nappies.

“But I feel like it’s a good club to bring me up and develop me as a player,” he said.

“There’s a lot of other new faces and there’s a great vibe and feel. We’re building. It’s a really positive experience.

“Being around people who have done it for years, it’s good to try and take a little bit (of advice and tips) from everyone.

“I’ve met all of the first grade guys, and spoke a fair bit to Chris Lawrence who is a legend of the club and a fellow second rower, so I’ve been getting under his wing a bit. They’re all really supportive.”

Through his contract he is unable to be selected in first grade in 2018 unless there are significant injuries to the Tigers squad, but it’s all about going slow and steady.

“I’m only 19 and I have plenty of time (to make it to the NRL). Developing into a first grade player doesn’t happen overnight,” he said.

“I’ll start in under 20s and hopefully by the end be playing reserve grade against men and experienced players which will help me develop moving forward to 2019.”

http://www.portnews.com.au/story/506166 ... nrl-dream/
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by willow » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 8:18 pm

McIntyre gearing up for the long haul

Dan Talintyre (Twitter: @dantalintyre)

Mon 20th November, 03:00PM

After going through the junior grades in the backs, young gun Sam McIntyre made a successful move in to the back row for the Newcastle Knights Holden Cup side.

Now, having joined Wests Tigers on a three-year deal as part of the club’s Development squad for 2018, McIntyre is determined to make the transition to the big times — and he’s looking to two players who have made the same move as him to help him do that.

“My manager came to me late in the year and said the Wests Tigers were keen to have me on full-time next year,” McIntyre recalled. “I was stoked. I had seen all the players they had coming next year and thought that’d be a great environment to be around.

“For me, someone like Chris McQueen was a big one, as was having Chris Lawrence here.

“They’re experienced back-rowers who have made the move in from the backs and that’s what I want to be. I just want to be under their wing, in a way, and really try to see how they approach training and footy and life and learn as much as I can.

“Chris [Lawrence] is a club legend around here; he’s played for Australia and won trophies, so he’s definitely someone I’m learning plenty off with his work ethic.”

Hailing from Port Macquarie, McIntyre made a similar journey to that of Knights Holden Cup teammate Heath Gibbs — travelling three-hours each way twice a week — before moving with the family to Newcastle in the hope of taking the next step in his career.

As it turned out, that next step involved moving away from the family again to Sydney, something that McIntyre said his family were incredibly supportive with all the way.

“When the offer came, they were over the moon for me,” he said.

“They know that’s what I’ve wanted to do my whole life, so they were just telling me to take it and that they’ll help me out with whatever I needed to move down here.

“They’ll come to every game despite the travel; they’re really supportive about it.

“They helped me move in with Tyson [Gamble], which has been good. We’re living in a little granny flat and we get along really well. He’s a good bloke and is similar to me in moving away from family and starting full-time as well so it’s been pretty good fun.”

With a slew of high-profile forwards ahead of him at Wests Tigers, McIntyre is under no illusions that his goal of making it to the big time is certainly a long way away for now.

However, thanks to Coach Ivan Cleary, McIntyre’s said his attitude is focused simply on the long-term goal, rather than the time that it takes to reach his destination.

“He [Ivan] brought me in for a chat the other day and just wanted to know everything about me,” McIntyre enthused. “He wants to know you as a person, not just a player.

“He’s a really good bloke and I can tell the whole coaching staff here is going to make me be a better football player — that’s my goal and that's what I wanted in coming here.

“Ronnie [Palmer] has been awesome too,” he added.

“He’s really softly spoken outside of training and he always walks in with a smile on his face. He always reminds me that I’m blessed to be here and not many people get to do this. It’s 100 percent true, that people dream to be in the position that I’m in now.

“I remember that used to be my dream and now I’m here so it’s definitely a blessing.

“I love the full-time training. I wake up every day and get to go train and play footy — there’s obviously a lot more too it than that but at the same time, it’s that simple.

“This is supposed to be work but it just feels like training and having fun.

“I know this will make me a better player but it’s also making me a better person too.”

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:51 pm

"Through his contract he is unable to be selected in first grade in 2018 unless there are significant injuries to the Tigers squad, but it’s all about going slow and steady."

That's interesting. So the development players could get a crack.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:49 pm

Masterton wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 9:51 pm
"Through his contract he is unable to be selected in first grade in 2018 unless there are significant injuries to the Tigers squad, but it’s all about going slow and steady."

Exceptions can be sought...same as before for non-NRL contracted players..

Would have to be very significant injuries tho..I don't think anyone wants that..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:09 pm

He mentions he trains 5 days a week sometimes six with Saturday's but its not too demanding

Bloke is either coping well or he is used to far harder pre season training camps

With our history I know which way I'm leaning

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 6:25 am

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 11:09 pm
He mentions he trains 5 days a week sometimes six with Saturday's but its not too demanding

Bloke is either coping well or he is used to far harder pre season training camps

Dylan Smith, who has come over from the Sharks, said the opposite.

momo&medo
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 8:51 am

happy tiger wrote:

With Ronnie Palmer and Ivan Cleary at helm nothing will be easy.

fergiefurr
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 9:17 am

happy tiger wrote:

id say its just being a kid whos still excited by fulltime training

fans on the knights forum were pretty filthy about losing this bloke, looks a good prospect

hammertime
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 9:18 am

Geo. wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:49 pm
Masterton wrote:

Would have to be very significant injuries tho..I don't think anyone wants that..
Geo - do you know when the top 30 has to be locked in by? Start, mid, end of season? I just noticed with these lads, there's basically four guys, one for each position.

Maybe cleary and pascoe are keeping a spare spot to promote someone based on merit or worst case scenario, injuries during the course of next year?

Would be smart if they don't have to name the top 30 by round 1.

jirskyr
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 133 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 10:34 am

happy tiger wrote:

I think he means not too demanding on his time, as in 6 days a week, rather than the sessions themselves are not too demanding.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 257 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 11:19 am

hammertime wrote:
Tue 21 Nov, 2017 9:18 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 20 Nov, 2017 10:49 pm
Masterton wrote:

Geo - do you know when the top 30 has to be locked in by? Start, mid, end of season? I just noticed with these lads, there's basically four guys, one for each position.

Maybe cleary and pascoe are keeping a spare spot to promote someone based on merit or worst case scenario, injuries during the course of next year?

Would be smart if they don't have to name the top 30 by round 1.

Not 100% sure as the new CBA hasn't been finalised..under the old agreement Clubs had to submit their Top 25 for salary cap purposes by Feb 28 the Year of the Comp..

There was some talk that Clubs had until Rd 10 next year to be Cap compliant...wether that extends to submitting a Top 30 is unclear..

There is flexibility as there was in the past..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tiger Steve
Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Tiger Steve » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 11:52 am

happy tiger wrote:

I would think under Cleary and Palmer, Tigers preseason would be challenging and based on recognised best practice

Tacky
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by Tacky » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 2:50 pm

happy tiger wrote:

Looks pretty challenging to me...

WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Tigerdon
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 100 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 3:42 pm

Tacky wrote:
Tue 21 Nov, 2017 2:50 pm
happy tiger wrote:

now Ronnie will probably give Sam a few extra sand bags to carry up the dunes.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

magpiecol
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 26 times

Unread post by magpiecol » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm

Happy is never happy.

greatodensraven
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Tue 21 Nov, 2017 6:16 pm

Tacky wrote:
Tue 21 Nov, 2017 2:50 pm
happy tiger wrote:

Hope they get absolutely flogged. We’ve got a good balance across the team without any real standouts so being the fittest team in the comp would definitely help!

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 12:36 am

magpiecol wrote:
Tue 21 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm
Happy is never happy.
Sometimes Col you can be such as Col

Our past is fairly damning , many times we have had squads who weren't mentally strong , physically strong or physically fit

Can anyone really argue with that ??

willow
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by willow » Wed 22 Nov, 2017 10:38 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 22 Nov, 2017 12:36 am
magpiecol wrote:
Tue 21 Nov, 2017 4:04 pm
Happy is never happy.
Sometimes Col you can be such as Col

Our past is fairly damning , many times we have had squads who weren't mentally strong , physically strong or physically fit

Can anyone really argue with that ??
Can't argue with that. we've needed to be physically and mentally broken down and rebuilt to really know what it takes to compete for 80 minutes each and every week. Cleary knew we weren't an 80 minute side when he came in earlier this year, let's see if the coaching staff have got what it takes to get us to the next level.

Return to “Season 2018”