WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 4:55 pm

Reynolds admits confusion at Dogs role

Tue 28 Nov, 2017, 2:00pm
Steve Zemek, AAP

New Wests Tigers playmaker Josh Reynolds has taken a swipe at his former NRL club Canterbury, suggesting they mishandled their halves puzzle.

Reynolds is in familiar territory at the Tigers with fellow recruit Benji Marshall promising to put pressure on him and Luke Brooks for the starting No.6 and No.7 spots ahead of the 2018 NRL season.

At one point during his time at Belmore under then coach Des Hasler, Reynolds was vying with Moses Mbye and Trent Hodkinson for two positions.

The 28-year-old was at pains to point out he welcomed the pressure that comes with three players fighting it out for two spots.

However, he said the uncertainty over whether he was starting or not at times played with his head at the Bulldogs.

It was rumoured that Hasler was at times ultra-secretive to the point of not revealing to his halves where they stood in the pecking order and they spent the week at training not knowing whether they would run on.

Asked if the uncertainty about their positions created friction within the Bulldogs playing group and messed with their heads, Reynolds said: "I think there's a way to do it.

"If they're on the front foot and let you know early, you can get your head around it.

"It's just the timing of it - you've got to be ready for a game and know when you're going in and what you're playing."

He said pressure was a welcome force as long as the coach was transparent about it.

"If you're going out there and doing your job but you could be better every week, then there's someone underneath you playing good footy, it keeps you on your toes," he said.

"Because who am I? I'm just another person. I can be taken over any day."

Reynolds is expected to get first crack at the five-eighth jumper alongside Brooks while favourite son Marshall has been brought in by coach Ivan Cleary to add depth.

He admitted that towards the end of his tenure at the Dogs, he wasn't feeling pushed by other players in the squad and it led to him resting on his laurels.

"I've been in the situation before where there's been three of us going for two positions," he said.

"For myself, I thought it brought out some really good things for me. You're always in competition, that's just footy.

"I honestly think that at the back end of my career at the Dogs, because I was playing week-in and week-out, you start thinking 'I'm going to be sweet'."

http://www.nrl.com/reynolds-admits-conf ... fault.aspx
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 5:02 pm

so Des used to play mind games with his players..wow..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tacky

Unread post by Tacky » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 5:41 pm

Reynolds: "I want to buy in to everything"

Josh Reynolds has never been one to do something half-heartedly.

On the field, that has been evident since his debut — his passion and relentless enthusiasm is both infectious and unrivalled in the recent history of the NRL.

Few play with as much energy and passion as “Grub”, a nickname that derides from his, at times, over zealousness in defence and the niggly aspects of rugby league.

And so, after a high-profile off-season move to Wests Tigers, it should come as no surprise that Reynolds is all-in at his new club, speaking glowingly to the media today about how quickly he’s finding his feet and buying in to his new surroundings.

“First and foremost, I just want to be a part of this team and culture,” Reynolds said.

“There’s such a rich culture here that I just didn’t realise [with Wests and Balmain]. There’s great players that have played here and I’m slowly learning about that.

“I just want to buy in and buy in to everything about the club.

“Just because I haven’t been here for a while doesn’t mean I can’t buy in to that.

“I’ll just always put the team first and hopefully my form can come off the back of that.”

“I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to get back to where I was at that time when I was playing Origin, and I really think that I can get back to my best footy here,” he said.

“The enthusiasm is something I’ve trained to engrain in my game, and if I can show that on the training paddock day in and day out, we can help create that culture.

“That’s not saying that culture is the be all and end all — you’ve still got to win games off the back of skill and being smart. But I think if everyone is doing those little things right now, that’ll create those big things in the big moments when we need them most.”

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2017 ... _to_b.html
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

wt00

Unread post by wt00 » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 9:10 pm

He'll get a new lease on life without des and his mind games. Look forward to a big season from Josh.
The star of the team is the team.

hammertime

Unread post by hammertime » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 9:20 pm

He talks extremely well and has a great mindset. Quickly becoming my favourite player already.

Munk

Unread post by Munk » Tue 28 Nov, 2017 9:22 pm

Saying all the right things as is Benji.
Hopefully translates to on field performance.

Return to “Season 2018”