Fresh focus for Tui after emotional RLWC

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 30432
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 85 times

Fresh focus for Tui after emotional RLWC

Unread post by willow » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 6:37 am

Fresh focus for Tui after emotional RLWC

James Mullan
Thu 7th December, 03:00PM

Tuimoala Lolohea has reported to Wests Tigers pre-season training with a strong desire to learn after a stellar 2017 Rugby League World Cup campaign with Tonga.

Despite the scorching temperature and rigorous training drills, Lolohea couldn’t hold back his signature cheeky grin when talking about the feeling of being back at Concord.

“It’s so good to be back with these boys," he said.

“It was pretty tough, and it's just good to blow out the cobwebs a bit.

"I just want to get my body right for the season coming up — that’s the most important thing.

“Hopefully I can add a bit of my knowledge to help out some boys and hopefully I can learn of some of the other boys as well and we can really be in a good place for the year ahead."

One player that Lolohea is particularly excited to be back training with is new recruit Ben Matulino, whom the fleet-footed fullback burst on to the scene with back at the Warriors.

“We were pretty close back home in New Zealand so it's good to see him again," Lolohea said.

"I know what Benny’s like — he would have been nervous to jump on board at a new club.

"But coming here now he looks pretty good and in good shape and that's awesome for us."

”It’s going to take some time to learn all these new boys' names and get familiar with them all, but I'm really looking forward to the roster we have here and the year ahead."


andrew 474
Member
Member
Posts: 1413
Joined: Sat 11 Jun, 2011 2:15 pm
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by andrew 474 » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 7:42 am

Real Positive kid
Fresh face to the club
Keen to get back after his commitment
Has a Buddy in Big Ben joining Him

Now that will run through this club under Ivan and I'm sure others will take the same attitude

Don't be shocked if we end up playing Finals Footy in 2018 it can be done


2018 Stand Out players
Tui
Taylor ( C )
Nofo
Packer

User avatar
greatodensraven
Member
Member
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sat 15 Dec, 2012 7:11 pm
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 23 times

Unread post by greatodensraven » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 7:48 am

I would've thought they'd give him a few weeks off after the WC.

Sounds keen tho & hope he has a great year.

tigerap
Member
Member
Posts: 1694
Joined: Tue 06 Oct, 2015 10:08 pm
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 71 times

Unread post by tigerap » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 8:08 am

willow wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 6:37 am
Fresh focus for Tui after emotional RLWC

James Mullan
Thu 7th December, 03:00PM

Tuimoala Lolohea has reported to Wests Tigers pre-season training with a strong desire to learn after a stellar 2017 Rugby League World Cup campaign with Tonga.

Despite the scorching temperature and rigorous training drills, Lolohea couldn’t hold back his signature cheeky grin when talking about the feeling of being back at Concord.

“It’s so good to be back with these boys," he said.

“It was pretty tough, and it's just good to blow out the cobwebs a bit.

"I just want to get my body right for the season coming up — that’s the most important thing.

“Hopefully I can add a bit of my knowledge to help out some boys and hopefully I can learn of some of the other boys as well and we can really be in a good place for the year ahead."

One player that Lolohea is particularly excited to be back training with is new recruit Ben Matulino, whom the fleet-footed fullback burst on to the scene with back at the Warriors.

“We were pretty close back home in New Zealand so it's good to see him again," Lolohea said.

"I know what Benny’s like — he would have been nervous to jump on board at a new club.

"But coming here now he looks pretty good and in good shape and that's awesome for us."

”It’s going to take some time to learn all these new boys' names and get familiar with them all, but I'm really looking forward to the roster we have here and the year ahead."

What a turnaround from the attitude of the "departed 3" we had going into 2017....Their attitude was all about how best to screw the club over..Good on you Tui...This kid is a keeper...yes he may be rocks and diamonds on the field sometimes and that may frustrate some, but the good will outweigh the bad.

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2304
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by hammertime » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 8:34 am

Cleary has recruited on attitude - and I like it. Breath of fresh air. No media standard one-liners, just realistic positive comments.


User avatar
wt00
Member
Member
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by wt00 » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 10:41 am

The star of the team is the team.

macca84
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon 08 Sep, 2014 6:42 pm
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by macca84 » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:32 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 7:48 am
I would've thought they'd give him a few weeks off after the WC.

Sounds keen tho & hope he has a great year.
Well he's had the best part of 2 weeks off, and he'd only be doing light work anyway.

User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 8:50 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's mandatory for players to have a month off after the season and they can't train with the club officially until they've had that.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

criwdfluffer
Member
Member
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:34 am
Has liked: 15 times

Unread post by criwdfluffer » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 9:39 pm

Cant wait to see him at FB.....could be a real goer.

I remember at the warriors he was looking to be a star,fast,light on his feet and steppy.

I don't think we saw the best of him at 6, and he wasn't bad.

User avatar
wt00
Member
Member
Posts: 1558
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by wt00 » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 10:45 pm

Looking forward to seeing what tui makes of the fullback position.
The star of the team is the team.

Balmainbred
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed 17 May, 2017 4:33 pm
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by Balmainbred » Fri 08 Dec, 2017 11:06 pm

Hope he makes it as our fullback , looks like a real talent. I also think Gamble has fullback written all over him. Let’s hope we crack it there, can’t wait to watch both of them next year.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3199
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm
Has liked: 231 times
Been liked: 76 times

Unread post by formerguest » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 9:41 am

Tacky wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 8:50 pm
I'm sure I read somewhere that it's mandatory for players to have a month off after the season and they can't train with the club officially until they've had that.
Our season finished at the start of September, sadly, so he had plenty of time off.

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25161
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW.
Has liked: 258 times
Been liked: 395 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 10:49 am

Training is tapered just before the break..the slog was in the early pre-season...

Back into the hard stuff in January..

Blokes like Lolohea.Twal and Milne would have got a lot of confidence out of the WC...good to have them back at Wests Tigers...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 6449
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 2:50 pm

I just hope people give him a fair go and don't do a Fitzhenry on him. I think he is going to be the type that will win you a few games but he also have the odd shocker. Looking through our squad, he strikes me as one of the few players who could create something or turn a game. So I think he must be given a real go at making the no1 role his.

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 2:51 pm

greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 7:48 am
I would've thought they'd give him a few weeks off after the WC.

Sounds keen tho & hope he has a great year.
seems weird theyve got 3 random players back.

Maybe because Tui is first choice fullback he needs to be there for combos etc

Shedding a few kgs wouldnt hurt either.

User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by Tacky » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 3:40 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Sat 09 Dec, 2017 2:51 pm
greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 7:48 am
I would've thought they'd give him a few weeks off after the WC.

Sounds keen tho & hope he has a great year.
seems weird theyve got 3 random players back.

Maybe because Tui is first choice fullback he needs to be there for combos etc

Shedding a few kgs wouldnt hurt either.
He's looking a lot fitter already. A couple of sand runs should help him lose the last few kgs.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25340
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 5:57 pm

The best players dont have much between their best and worst games...Tuis best and worst are miles apart ...that said I like his game and enjoy watching him play...hes.unpredictable

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5513
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Unread post by king sirro » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 7:48 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Sat 09 Dec, 2017 2:51 pm
greatodensraven wrote:
Fri 08 Dec, 2017 7:48 am
I would've thought they'd give him a few weeks off after the WC.

Sounds keen tho & hope he has a great year.
seems weird theyve got 3 random players back.

Maybe because Tui is first choice fullback he needs to be there for combos etc

Shedding a few kgs wouldnt hurt either.

Theres been a fair bit of talk about Tui getting fit enough to play fullback. Shedding kg's has been said many times. I ask this.....how long do we give him to get fit? He's been signed by the tigers for what, 5 or 6 months now? Maybe its 4 months. Either way, thats plenty of time for a processional athlete to get into required shape. At this rate, he will be ripped and firing by 2020.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Post Reply

Return to “Season 2018”