Brooks keen to link with Reynolds..

User avatar
Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25097
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: MT Cook

Brooks keen to link with Reynolds..

Unread post by Geo. » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 2:49 pm

Brooks clears air with Cleary over potential Nathan reunion
Author Alicia Newton Timestamp Tue 12 Dec 2017, 03:00 PM

Wests Tigers halfback Luke Brooks insists he feels no added pressure after Ivan Cleary admitted the likelihood of him coaching son Nathan one day was inevitable.

The sudden depth in the halves at the club is set to keep the pressure on Brooks to deliver next season, but the 22-year-old said he wasn't worried about Cleary's recent comments.

Brooks is set to come off contract at the same time as Nathan in 2019 after agreeing to a new two-year deal in April.

"I didn't read much into it," Brooks told NRL.com.

"Ivan spoke to me about it and said he's got faith in me and wants me to be the halfback.

"He said not to worry about what was said so that was good of him to do that."

Brooks has welcomed the chance to line up alongside an experienced playmaker again after Tigers legend Benji Marshall and former Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds opted to link with the joint-venture club in 2018.

Brooks was 18 when he made his NRL debut alongside Marshall five years ago – the only game the pair played together before the fan favourite left for a stint in rugby union.

"He was my idol growing up," Brooks said of Marshall.

"I was training with him as a teenager and watched on from the sidelines as he helped the club win the grand final in 2005.

"It's great he's back and I can't wait to play alongside him again and the reaction he'll bring to the fans."


Marshall spoke openly of his disappointment of being unable to play more games alongside Brooks at the time of his departure but can now provide experience the highly-rated halfback needs to advance his career.

Wests Tigers have not made the finals since 2011 and Brooks admitted he was still searching for a level of consistency to his game.

He was hampered by a hamstring injury throughout last season but finished the year well as the side notched three wins in their last five games.

"I've got a lot to work on," Brooks said.

"Controlling the game is the most important thing and getting those last-play options right. If you're getting those things right everything else tends to happen a lot better.

"We didn't do that well last season. If you're not thinking about setting up tries it tends to just happen. That's definitely something that Ivan wants me to get better at."

Cleary has bought 10 players after the exits of local juniors Mitchell Moses, Aaron Woods and James Tedesco, and no recruit has brought more energy than Reynolds.

The former NSW representative joins Marshall, Chris McQueen, Ben Matulino and Russell Packer as key men set to take the club into a new era in 2018.

"They've brought a lot of experience to a club that we didn't have with a young squad this year," Brooks said.

"Josh has been leading the way in fitness and on the field he plays what he sees. I didn't have a whole lot to do with him before he came, I met him a few times but we're getting along good. He's a great bloke off the field and is one of those players you don't like playing but you want on your team.

"Ben Matulino and Russell Packer are Kiwi internationals who have played in big games. I'll be able to control the team and we'll play off the back of them."


https://www.nrl.com/news/2017/12/12/Bro ... n-reunion/
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...


hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 7077
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Unread post by hobbo » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 3:45 pm

Brooks knows he's on borrowed time.
EPL 2014/15 Predict 6
Competition ...CHAMPION !
Winner of the 2016 $$$$
Work tipping comp !

User avatar
sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 4236
Joined: Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:06 pm

Unread post by sheer64 » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 3:59 pm

Brooks is not the sharpest tool in the shed!
Arise Sir Waste Anasta, Tool of the highest order!

will1999
Member
Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed 16 Nov, 2016 2:52 am

Unread post by will1999 » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 4:14 pm

he's only 22 thought he was older

fergiefurr
Member
Member
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Unread post by fergiefurr » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 4:45 pm

i seem to be on my own with tigers fans but i thought brooks ended the season pretty well. ivan had him playing as a genuine first reciever as opposed to parked on the left and i thought that suited him. i also think reynolds will be great for him


User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2612
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 4:55 pm

Has obviously been told what he should be working on

yeti
Member
Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:38 pm

Unread post by yeti » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 4:55 pm

Give the kid a break! He can't say anything without people on this forum jumping down his neck.
Of course he is under pressure - every half in the comp is. And he may be no Einstein. So who cares?
I bet he's earning a hell of a lot more than anyone on this forum did at 22 years of age! So good luck to him.
I wish him all the best and I do think he'll be an OK half back. He may never reach the heights of Cleary and others, but if he does a job for us over the next 2 years, well and good.

User avatar
innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 25421
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 5:20 pm

yeti wrote:
Wed 13 Dec, 2017 4:55 pm
Give the kid a break! He can't say anything without people on this forum jumping down his neck.
Of course he is under pressure - every half in the comp is. And he may be no Einstein. So who cares?
I bet he's earning a hell of a lot more than anyone on this forum did at 22 years of age! So good luck to him.
I wish him all the best and I do think he'll be an OK half back. He may never reach the heights of Cleary and others, but if he does a job for us over the next 2 years, well and good.
Id take that bet

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 29973
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

Unread post by willow » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 7:44 pm

I think it's safe to say we'd all like to see Brooks take his game to the next level and start to dominate on a frequent basis. We'll need him to if we're any chance of making the finals next year.

User avatar
Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 9:30 pm

I hope he improves, he certainly started to show signs and played some good footy later part of the season.

I forget sometimes that he is only very young and hasn't really had any luck when it comes to coaches.

User avatar
wt00
Member
Member
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Unread post by wt00 » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 9:50 pm

Hopefully his hamstrings stay healthy throughout the season and I'm sure with that, he'll be playing consistent footy... Well I'm hoping that's the case!
The star of the team is the team.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 19207
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Unread post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 13 Dec, 2017 10:11 pm

Poor guy is on a hiding to nothing whenever he opens his mouth. Unfortunately for him, being our halfback, he's a focal point of the team, so he'll be quoted a lot over the next year or two.

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Unread post by Earl » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 7:41 am

He is 22 with a lot of assets in his game and he seems like a decent kid. I hope he comes good.

I don't think he has been much worse than Moses and Moses is being talked up as a SOO half.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36448
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:47 am

As long as we all agree that Brooks is at the last chance saloon all is good

Last year we can talk potential , he has to find his consistent best more often than not or he has to hit the road

Just feels like we have all said this exact same thing last season
Last edited by happy tiger on Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Unread post by avocadoontoast » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:48 am

Earl wrote:
Thu 14 Dec, 2017 7:41 am
He is 22 with a lot of assets in his game and he seems like a decent kid. I hope he comes good.

I don't think he has been much worse than Moses and Moses is being talked up as a SOO half.
I hate Moses as much as anyone but he was good for Parra late in the season and was also really good for Lebanon. It's going to be painful to watch but I think Moses will have a strong '18.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 36448
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Unread post by happy tiger » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:43 am

avocadoontoast wrote:
Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:48 am
Earl wrote:
Thu 14 Dec, 2017 7:41 am
He is 22 with a lot of assets in his game and he seems like a decent kid. I hope he comes good.

I don't think he has been much worse than Moses and Moses is being talked up as a SOO half.
I hate Moses as much as anyone but he was good for Parra late in the season and was also really good for Lebanon. It's going to be painful to watch but I think Moses will have a strong '18.
Amazing what quality back rowers can do for a half ...................

User avatar
Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1708
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Unread post by Tiger Come Lately » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:45 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:47 am
As long as we all agree that Brooks is at the last chance saloon all is good

Last year we can talk potential , he has to find his consistent best more often than not or he has to hit the road

Just feels like we have all said this exact same thing last season
i would agree, the club/Ivan/fans(those that haven't already) won't wait much longer for his star to shine.

I will give certainly be expecting him to do well this year and hope he does well with Ivan/Reynolds giving him the support to take him to the next level.

Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4320
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Unread post by Snake » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:59 am

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
Thu 14 Dec, 2017 10:45 am
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 14 Dec, 2017 9:47 am
As long as we all agree that Brooks is at the last chance saloon all is good

Last year we can talk potential , he has to find his consistent best more often than not or he has to hit the road

Just feels like we have all said this exact same thing last season
i would agree, the club/Ivan/fans(those that haven't already) won't wait much longer for his star to shine.

I will give certainly be expecting him to do well this year and hope he does well with Ivan/Reynolds giving him the support to take him to the next level.
Brooks time is up !perform or there’s the door ,no finals footy if a 1/2 is given more leeway on potential I have seen enough to make my mind up .

Post Reply

Return to “Season 2018”

cron