Tigers legend backtracks to welcome Benji home

willow

Post by willow » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 7:09 pm

Author - Joel Gould
Sat 23 Dec 2017, 02:00 PM

Tigers legend Benny Elias has backtracked after unloading on Benji Marshall when he first left the club, describing his return as a “massive coup” which would bring untold benefits on and off the field.

Elias, who was critical of Marshall when he left the club at the end of 2013, said the 2005 Wests Tigers premiership winner’s experience would be invaluable to halves Josh Reynolds and Luke Brooks but added the 32-year-old veteran's influence would go further than that.

“Benji has developed into a real mentor as he has got older,” Elias told NRL.com

“He has a high regard and respect for the youth because it is only five minutes ago that he was there himself.

“His experience and the respect he is held in by the club is so valuable and I think it is a massive coup because he is going to be great for Reynolds and Brooks, but also the young kids the Tigers have got who are on the fringes.

“It is about everything off the football paddock and Benji is such a popular character, a great representative of the club and what it stands for and an icon of the game.

“He has done everything in the game but he still has talent and class. You never lose that. I understand why Ivan has brought him back and I think it will pay off for him big time. It is great to have him home.”

Elias said he expected Reynolds and Brooks to play in the halves.

“I don’t think Ivan will put Benji at No.6 or No.7 to start the season,” Elias said.

“I reckon he will have the dual role as a great interchange player and someone who will also monitor and bring through the young kids.”

Elias explained why he was critical of Marshall when he left the club four years ago.

“He loved the Wests Tigers and the reason I gave him a serve was that he promised he would not play for another club,” Elias said.

“I took that personally and said my two bob’s worth ... but we all take different directions and life’s journey moves in mysterious ways."

Marshall recently explained to NRL.com his departure from the club was not by choice.

"The thing I was frustrated with was that I agreed to a contract here for five years," Marshall said.

“After that the CEO moved on and the new CEO didn't want to honour that contract. That was probably the hardest thing to take for me. In saying that, I needed the change. I needed to grow up and get out of here. I feel like I'm in a good place now and happy to be back. When it comes to the club, I always still supported the club and it always held a place in my heart."

Elias said those sentiments would be reciprocated by the Tigers faithful who he insisted would embrace Marshall like a returning son.

Marshall’s old Wests Tigers No.6 jersey used to sell like hotcakes and young kids would often say that they wanted to be the next Benji.

“Benji was the biggest, biggest superstar and the most exciting player we’ve ever had, along with Larry Corowa,” Elias said.

“When Benji Marshall touched the football everybody stood up. He was that brilliant. It was electrifying to watch him and that’s why it was sad that he left.

“One thing about Beni Marshall is that he has done it all and realised his potential. I am very disappointed in people who don’t turn their potential into something special, but he has done that.”

Elias said Cleary had put a lot of thought into his roster for the 2018 Telstra Premiership with Marshall, Reynolds, Ben Matulino, Chris McQueen and Russell Packer among the big-name signings.

“Ivan has made a statement with his recruiting,” Elias said.

“The good thing is that he was there for the majority of the year and that gave him an understanding of who he needed and who he didn’t.

“He has put his neck out and made his mark and said ‘this is the way I am doing it, now follow me’, and I admire that. It is a good sign of leadership.”

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 7:26 pm

Id say a lot of people will be back tracking.

At least Elias is supportive, anything is is counter-productive to what we're aiming for.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 24 Dec, 2017 9:30 pm

I thought Benny would have moved on to Parra by now..well at least hoping...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Mon 25 Dec, 2017 8:56 am

Benny isn't with the eels now?
:sign:

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Mon 25 Dec, 2017 9:01 am

Who cares what Elias thinks - He is obviously getting desperate - the media haven't been ringing him daily for a put the boot in comment on the mess the Tigers where in - now that things have smoothed out he has to throw his unwanted opinion forward.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 25 Dec, 2017 7:06 pm

Get a life Benny, and go away. You are really riding this, has Ben-ny thing, into the ground. I'd rather listen to Blocker any day anyway. At least he's entertaining.
"Quality Stupidity"

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 25 Dec, 2017 8:02 pm

Trainwreck Benny

Bit like Jeff Thomson , ring him up to stir up a hornet's nest

Ring him up and ask for his deluded and bias opinion

Wish Benny would backtrack his way to another planetary system which can't communicate with Earth

As for Benji , time will tell whether he can be productive on or off field

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 10:35 am

Surprised he didn't mention about how much his nephew loved the club and would have re-signed for what benji is on & wonk, wonk, wonk.

I wish he would just disappear. Doesn't he have a mining company to send bankrupt, or shareholders to rip off?

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 10:40 am

I can't stand Benny Elias these days
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:26 am

Agree with everything Elias said.
Most of the people on here were glad he was leaving or dirty about the way he left or both.
Once again, most of those people would be happy to see him back in the role he's been given.
Plenty on here just want to stick it into Elias without even reading the story or commenting on its content ... sad.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:36 am

cktiger wrote:
Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:26 am
Most of the people on here were glad he was leaving or dirty about the way he left or both.
Once again, most of those people would be happy to see him back in the role he's been given.
Plenty on here just want to stick it into Elias without even reading the story or commenting on its content ... sad.
I'll put my hand up and say I was one of them, it does seem like Benji has matured in his time away, a few people were prepared to utilise him the way they saw fit.

Not Elias' biggest fan these days at all but I can't put the boot in when I feel the same way.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 11:39 am

cktiger wrote:
You can't blame people for wanting to flame Benny CK

I'm have no allegiance whatsoever with the Balmain part of the merger and I can't believe a guy who was so loved by his fans left the club in such a derelict position and seems oblivious and unrepentant for what he has done

He has earned every knife in the back he gets from furious Balmain fans if you ask me bud

Merry Xmas CK :D

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:31 pm

cktiger wrote:
What a crock - i read the story - the point everyone is making is why is Elias even commenting - he couldn't hide his delight when the Tigers were going through last years mess - he is irrelevant to this club.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:38 pm

^^^^^^^ What he said

the sooner we use Wests Tigers Players like Skando, Hodgo, Whats, Fulton etc to comment on Wests Tigers matters the better...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:50 pm

I refuse to read any article featuring opinions from Ben Elias. He is only interested in himself and keeping his name relevant.

Ben, seriously, enough is enough. Just leave us alone.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:55 pm

Has been

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 2:25 pm

Slow news Day, So they dig up Big Mouth Benny.

Post by 2041 » Tue 26 Dec, 2017 3:06 pm

cktiger wrote:
I'll put my hand up: I thought the way Marshall handled his departure was pretty pathetic. I'm not bothered either way about him coming back. He should be a better option to cover the halves than what we've had for the last couple of years but if he's needed to start more than ta handful of games in the halves we'll be having yet another dead season.

Not that I'm saying that's not his fault - it's just that he's at least five years past his best. All the stuff about 'marketing value' is a load of hit air: it might be true if he was still a world beater, but he's not. He's just a backup player with a future in the media.