The Contenders: Halfback

willow

Post by willow » Thu 28 Dec, 2017 10:54 pm

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

Author Dan Talintyre
Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:00 AM

The battle for spots will be at an all-time high at Wests Tigers in 2018, with Coach Ivan Cleary putting together an extremely strong squad for the season ahead.

With over 10 brand new faces “on the bus” for the year ahead and a great mixture of youthful talent and experience in the midst, the team that takes to the field in Round 1 against the Sydney Roosters will be vastly different from the one that ended the 2017 season against the New Zealand Warriors.

In the “Contenders” series, we take a look at those who will battle it out for spots in 2018, and not envy the decisions ahead for Coach Cleary in selecting a team for Round 1!

Next up, we look at the players in the running to feature in the No.7 jersey…

LUKE BROOKS

NRL Games: 82

At Wests Tigers since: 2013

The likely front-runner to assume his halfback position in 2018, Luke Brooks will be looking to produce further consistency and ability as he closes in on 100 NRL games. The return of Benji Marshall will certainly be a boost for the local junior, while Josh Reynolds’ arrival should help take some of the burden off Brooks’ shoulders while also allowing him to be the dominant playmaker with his good kicking game. Wests Tigers fans will point out that Brooks is at his best when running the ball, and that was certainly something that increased under Coach Ivan Cleary in 2017 — a good sign for the Holy Cross Rhinos junior moving forward to his sixth season in the top grade.

BENJI MARSHALL

NRL Games: 269

At Wests Tigers since: 2003-13, 2018

We shouldn’t need to go in to too much detail as to why Life Member Benji Marshall is a contender for this position — simply pointing out that the Kiwi international’s return to the club is far more than just a sentimental move. Marshall has been clear about his intent to contribute on the field, and given his experience and strong recent form with the Brisbane Broncos, there’s no doubting the 32-year-old’s ability to do just that. Having already played with Luke Brooks in the then rookie’s memorable debut game, it’ll be fascinating to see how Coach Ivan Cleary uses Marshall at Wests Tigers in 2018, and whether he will be used in the halves or at hooker more in the year ahead.

TYSON GAMBLE

NRL Games: 0

At Wests Tigers since: 2018

The only player in Wests Tigers 2018 squad yet to make their debut this year, Tyson Gamble joins the club after a superb first season in the Intrust Super Cup with the Redcliffe Dolphins — taking the underrated side all the way to the Grand Final qualifier. A tall playmaker who enjoys taking on the line, Gamble has thrived in his first full pre-season with the club and will certainly be looking to force his way in to the squad throughout the 2018 season — particularly given his pre-existing combination with someone like Marshall, whom he played in the halves with at Redcliffe earlier this year.

PITA GODINET

NRL Games: 20

Super League Games: 41

At Wests Tigers since: 2018

Pita Godinet was the most recent player “on the bus” at Wests Tigers ahead of the 2018 season, with the 30-year-old’s signing confirmed at the end of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup. Despite only playing 61 career games in the top level of Australian and English rugby league, Godinet is a vastly experienced player, with 13 appearances for Samoa over eight years. Moreover, Godinet is a clever playmaker capable of playing any position in the spine, and will certainly provide great cover at fullback, hooker and either position in the halves for Wests Tigers over the course of the 2018 season.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:31 am

If Brooks doesn't take some giant consistency steps forward in 2018 or Benji can't turn the clock back about 7 seasons this could be our weakest positions , the 6/7

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 9:32 am

One position completely lacking depth.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 10:41 am

He might not be my pick if I had a choice of NRL halves, still, happy enough with Brooks' overall ability.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 11:06 am

Harvey wrote:
Fri 29 Dec, 2017 9:32 am
One position completely lacking depth.
Depth ?? Find me another club who has a former golden boot winner, premiership winner and halfback from last years finals as a back up to their main halfback.

You might not like the individuals but depth is amazing

Earl

Post by Earl » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 12:36 pm

We do have depth across the park don't we. I mean we will probably have Benji and Gamble as our reserve grade halves. I could honestly see these two doing a serviceable job in first grade.

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 2:08 pm

Brooksie is our problem child and has been for five years now....He still goes missing in action frequently at crucial times throughout the game....I hope he starts to get more involved next year but if not we certainly can't afford to persevere with him in first grade....If given the chance then I'm backing on Gamble to have a big year....Reminds me of Percy Knight who was a classy half for Balmain who also had a bit of size on him and knew how to tackle top or bottom.... :sign:

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 2:35 pm

quintus wrote:
Fri 29 Dec, 2017 2:08 pm
Brooksie is our problem child and has been for five years now....He still goes missing in action frequently at crucial times throughout the game....I hope he starts to get more involved next year but if not we certainly can't afford to persevere with him in first grade....If given the chance then I'm backing on Gamble to have a big year....Reminds me of Percy Knight who was a classy half for Balmain who also had a bit of size on him and knew how to tackle top or bottom.... :sign:
The good thing though, is that Brooks is being honest with himself. He knows he has had some really underwhelming seasons and he isn't being ignorant about it. We'll just have to wait and see if that translates to on-field performances.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 3:51 pm

Brooks has won us more games when they've been on the line than Tedesco and Moses.

Fact.

Earl

Post by Earl » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 4:37 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Fri 29 Dec, 2017 3:51 pm
Brooks has won us more games when they've been on the line than Tedesco and Moses.

Fact.
He does need to step up but I think he cops it a little unfairly. I also think he hasn't had quality players around him. In stating that I've seen him have an open player to his left and not pass it when a try is on. Those dumb mistakes are coach/team killers.

For mine he is on the line of turning into a quality NRL half or being let go.

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Fri 29 Dec, 2017 7:57 pm

I agree with earl. We have depth across the park except in Fullback (I am only seeing Lolohea Tui and Corey Thompson... both not regular fullbacks).