NRL - Wests Tigers predicted round 1 line-up

wt01

NRL - Wests Tigers predicted round 1 line-up

Post by wt01 » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 1:16 pm

Ivan Cleary has begun to put his stamp on the roster out Concord way. Having lost three of the so-called 'big four' last year, Cleary had plenty of cap space with which to go to market and has bought up big in the shape of Josh Reyonlds, Russell Packer, Chris McQueen, Ben Matulino, Taane Milne and of course favourite son Benji Marshall.

The mass changes seem certain to shift Tuimoala Lolohea to fullback while Jacob Liddle will press Matt McIlwrick for the No.9 jersey. The quantity of forwards inbound will mean a huge battle for the likes of 2017 debutants Alex Twal and Matt Eisenhuth and even more established players like Tim Grant and Sauaso Sue and off-season recruit Robbie Rochow.

Corey Thompson, Mahe Fonua and Malakai Watene-Zelezniak are the other candidates for the wing spot allocated to Moses Suli.

NRL.com expert Jamie Soward says:

"I had them as my big movers but I just looked at their squad and now I'm not sure. They're still trying to find their identity which might take a bit of time. A fit Brooks with a guy like Josh Reynolds who provides the energy and enthusiasm, he's vitally important but it's also important he gets his own game right.

"At his best Reynolds is running, in-your-face, niggling, always in the game which is what made him successful at the Bulldogs and for NSW in 2014.

"The interesting one for me is Jacob Liddle and Matt McIlwrick. I think Liddle will get the start but that won't be certain all year. Reynolds could slot in at nine if Marshall needs to come into the side. If that happens that will take more time going forward to learn how each other plays.

"I think we could see the best of Brooks this year being able to kick and run and put plays on rather than having to try and do everything from two positions.

"The other change you could make is Naiqama, does he start at fullback, he was outstanding for Fiji in the World Cup.

"Their forward pack's OK. Packer and Matulino coming in could be one of the best front-row rotations in the competition."

NRL.com's predicted Round 1 team:

1 Tuimoala Lolohea 2 David Nofoaluma 3 Taane Milne 4 Kevin Naiqama 5 Moses Suli 6 Josh Reynolds 7 Luke Brooks 8 Russell Packer 9 Matt McIlwrick 10 Ben Matulino 11 Chris Lawrence 12 Chris McQueen 13 Elijah Taylor. Interchange: 14 Alex Twal 15 Sauaso Sue 16 Josh Aloai 17 Jacob Liddle. Reserves: 18 Benji Marshall 19 Tim Grant 20 Matt Eisenhuth 21 Michael Chee Kam.

i have to say i dont agree with this line-up. Eiso is a must. And Suli is likely to have a centre spot over a wing spot. Also no masters in the team? :?

thoughts?
Marshall Magix

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 1:57 pm

Whoever picked that team has no idea.Suli should be in the centre Eisenhuth at lock and Kevie should be in the reggies

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 2:17 pm

Are these guys stupid..what is Lawrence doing there..oh it's Sowie...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

willow

Post by willow » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 2:17 pm

We've all got our own take on who should line up for round 1, but yeah there's a couple of silly choices here such as Naiqama and Suli. I'd have Milne and Suli as my first choice centres. As much as I like Marsters, I think he could offer some good utility off the bench if either a back goes down or a forward.

Naiqama isn't in my first 17. I'd throw Fonua on the other wing and right there you have two of the more powerful runners in the comp hitting the ball up to get the Tigers sets moving forward. Eiso gets a start at 13 with Taylor starting at 9 and Liddle on the bench. Aloiai and McQueen/Lawrence on the edges. Twal, Sue, Marsters and Liddle on the bench.

underdog

Post by underdog » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 2:57 pm

Turn Naiqama/Suli into Suli/Fonua, Mastrers/Suli, Marsters/Fonua (If Suli isn't fit) and all of a sudden that backline has bite, power, skill, and most importantly, depth.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm

If Kev wants to be playing NRL in round 1, his only option (apart from injuries) is left wing where he will compete against Fonua, MWZ, Thompson unless they decide to play Marsters in the centres

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 3:00 pm

If Kev wants to be playing NRL in round 1, his only option (apart from injuries) is left wing where he will compete against Fonua, MWZ, Thompson unless they decide to play Marsters in the centres

Snake

Post by Snake » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 3:37 pm

willow wrote:
Mon 08 Jan, 2018 2:17 pm
We've all got our own take on who should line up for round 1, but yeah there's a couple of silly choices here such as Naiqama and Suli. I'd have Milne and Suli as my first choice centres. As much as I like Marsters, I think he could offer some good utility off the bench if either a back goes down or a forward.

Naiqama isn't in my first 17. I'd throw Fonua on the other wing and right there you have two of the more powerful runners in the comp hitting the ball up to get the Tigers sets moving forward. Eiso gets a start at 13 with Taylor starting at 9 and Liddle on the bench. Aloiai and McQueen/Lawrence on the edges. Twal, Sue, Marsters and Liddle on the bench.
Pretty spot on I reckon .. do not write off Kev N I think he could be the fullback option if LoLo goes down was very impressed with his stint there last season.. Soward had to many concussions poor fella !

willow

Post by willow » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 8:12 pm

Snake wrote:
Mon 08 Jan, 2018 3:37 pm
willow wrote:
Mon 08 Jan, 2018 2:17 pm

Pretty spot on I reckon .. do not write off Kev N I think he could be the fullback option if LoLo goes down was very impressed with his stint there last season.. Soward had to many concussions poor fella !
I think Kev provides very good depth, to be honest I think fullback is probably his best spot, he seems to rove around the field reasonably well and brings the ball back at speed. Has the occasional fumble with his hands but I was impressed with Kev during the world cup, he showed good leadership qualities.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 08 Jan, 2018 8:33 pm

Absolutely terrible. NRL.com are supposed to be pundits yeah?

wt00

Post by wt00 » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:00 pm

No Eisenhuth in the 17... And Suli on the wing... Guess anyone can be labelled an "expert"
The star of the team is the team.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 3:39 pm

wt00 wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 1:00 pm
No Eisenhuth in the 17... And Suli on the wing... Guess anyone can be labelled an "expert"
Esan Marsters wasn't even named in the top 21...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 7:52 pm

You can't blame Soward , very few on here can agree on a starting 17

yeti

Post by yeti » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 6:20 am

Lawrence could be the 'smokey' this year. He hits hard in defence and with a little more 'go forward' expected from our big boppers I wouldn't be surprised to see him really make an impact. He'll need to hit the ground running though - plenty of options right through the forward pack.

barra

Post by barra » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 1:02 pm

yeti wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 6:20 am
Lawrence could be the 'smokey' this year. He hits hard in defence and with a little more 'go forward' expected from our big boppers I wouldn't be surprised to see him really make an impact. He'll need to hit the ground running though - plenty of options right through the forward pack.
When Chris is going well he is worthy of a position. But he tires quickly, is not a big minutes player IMO, and seems to fade during the season.

I expect him to be given a 'first shot' place in the team at the start of season but for the above reasons would prefer him off the bench only.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 2:19 pm

Hopefully the Pack can work a lot harder as a unit in the area of taking the dirty hit ups...

No more stat padders...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...