Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 10:25 pm
Tacky wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 8:04 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 2:43 pm
Mac tiger wrote:
Sat 13 Jan, 2018 11:33 am
I know the modern trend is to have props interchangeable with locks, but if Taylor is a consideration for lock, why not Rowdy? He's got the ball skills (gone well at 5/8 for us in the past) and the footwork.
Because Taylor is extremely good at defending in the middle and is a better ball player than Lawrence. Lawrence has also just spent the last few seasons reinventing himself as an edge forward, would seem harsh to ask him to start again as a middle forward where his hole running would go unutilised...
What hole running? The only holes I've seen Lawrence running into are the dressing shed tunnels at half time.
Lawrence is a great hole runner - hits at tremendous speed but can have a loose carry when taking the ball at the line
Come on Tacky! I think Lawrence runs great lines and often isolates a small defender close to the line.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 14 Jan, 2018 11:12 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:49 pm
All this talk of locks playing like an extra prop in the middle makes me yearn for the attacking and cover defending locks like the great Johnny Raper and Kevin Smythe at the Magpies. Well, I've never denied being a dinosaur!
Neil Pringle was my favourite player as a youngster.

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 7:46 am

sideline eye wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:49 pm
All this talk of locks playing like an extra prop in the middle makes me yearn for the attacking and cover defending locks like the great Johnny Raper and Kevin Smythe at the Magpies. Well, I've never denied being a dinosaur!
With Eiso and Taylor being our most likely Locks, perhaps we will see a bit More of this next year?

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 8:34 am

Tacky wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Mac tiger wrote:
I know the modern trend is to have props interchangeable with locks, but if Taylor is a consideration for lock, why not Rowdy? He's got the ball skills (gone well at 5/8 for us in the past) and the footwork.
Because Taylor is extremely good at defending in the middle and is a better ball player than Lawrence. Lawrence has also just spent the last few seasons reinventing himself as an edge forward, would seem harsh to ask him to start again as a middle forward where his hole running would go unutilised...
What hole running? The only holes I've seen Lawrence running into are the dressing shed tunnels at half time.
Obviously you don't watch WT games or you are reading a book when they are on Tele.

Bag him all you like, but that is not one of the criticisms that would stick.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 9:37 am

Russell wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 8:34 am
Tacky wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Mac tiger wrote:
Obviously you don't watch WT games or you are reading a book when they are on Tele.

Bag him all you like, but that is not one of the criticisms that would stick.
Lawrence did hit a few holes back 7-8 years ago. Few and far between now. His hands close to the line are very poor, but he also gets an extraordinary amount of hospital passes from Brooks.

Lawrence doesn't have the lateral movement to play lock. I think he'll be lucky to get a spot in our 17 but may play a Mark O'Neil type role for us over the next tear or two.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 9:43 am

Black'n'White wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 5:07 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Fri 12 Jan, 2018 9:38 am
Eiso had ET covered at the end of last season. Makes as many tackles and makes more metres and offloads. I really don't know where you fit ET into this side.

Twal is a no brainer too. Very similar to Eisenhuth. Any prop that can play 60 mins and make 40 tackles and 100m+ can play lock
With Liddle out, starting ET at 9 and Eisenhuth at 13 would make us pretty tough on D until the game settles down. Gives the option to give Eiso a spell early when McKillwrick comes on by shifting ET to the middle for a single interchange. Packers fast PTB will probably have him coming off the bench to take advantage of tiring teams, and is the prop I would most like to see ET playing along side at 13 anyway.
Problem is ET just doesn't have great delivery from hooker. Way too many forward passes for a starting hooker. We really need to hope Liddle can play at least 60 mins a week - hopefully by round 1. May be too much to expect 80 straight away, especially coming back from injury.

A full off season would have done wonders for him, hopefully he's still been able to bulk up a bit

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 8:03 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 9:37 am

Lawrence doesn't have the lateral movement to play lock. I think he'll be lucky to get a spot in our 17 but may play a Mark O'Neil type role for us over the next tear or two.
In the modern game, where a lock is almost a de facto 3rd prop, lateral movement is less needed.

I love Lawry but I can't find a place for him in top 17 if everyone is fit. Not to worry, It's a long season and he'll inevitably get a decent crack.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Mon 15 Jan, 2018 8:07 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 15 Jan, 2018 9:43 am
Problem is ET just doesn't have great delivery from hooker.

A full off season would have done wonders for him, hopefully he's still been able to bulk up a bit
There was a repeat on Fox the other day, from when he was playing for the Warriors back in 2011. I was surprised to see how much bulkier he was back then.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

barra

Post by barra » Tue 16 Jan, 2018 1:03 pm

sideline eye wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 10:58 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tacky wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Lawrence is a great hole runner - hits at tremendous speed but can have a loose carry when taking the ball at the line
Come on Tacky! I think Lawrence runs great lines and often isolates a small defender close to the line.
Lawrence doesn't have good hands under pressure and gets his share of hospital passes. But I think that it's mainly been poor lead up and play-making decisions as much as execution that has reduced the amount of success he has.
If we can stretch the defence better and hit him when he's actually got a hole to run through he could be very successful - his lines and power/pace are still good enough.

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue 16 Jan, 2018 4:20 pm

barra wrote:
Tue 16 Jan, 2018 1:03 pm
sideline eye wrote:
Sun 14 Jan, 2018 10:58 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tacky wrote:

Lawrence doesn't have good hands under pressure and gets his share of hospital passes. But I think that it's mainly been poor lead up and play-making decisions as much as execution that has reduced the amount of success he has.
If we can stretch the defence better and hit him when he's actually got a hole to run through he could be very successful - his lines and power/pace are still good enough.
Agree Barra - hopefully he will get passes that give him a 50% chance of getting through the hole and not a 90% chance of getting hospital passes as in the last couple of years.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:07 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Tacky wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Mac tiger wrote:
Yeah he struggles with the flat ball at the ad line , but then again if he hits the hole and the playmaker hits Rowdy it shouldn't be an issue , should it ??

That's why any good backrower /centre should be able to run a good in out line

But then again Rowdy always relied on speed rather than needing to learn to create a hole before his hip injury

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 8:49 am

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 17 Jan, 2018 12:07 am
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tacky wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Yeah he struggles with the flat ball at the ad line , but then again if he hits the hole and the playmaker hits Rowdy it shouldn't be an issue , should it ??

But then again Rowdy always relied on speed rather than needing to learn to create a hole before his hip injury
That may well be Hap - but even you would have trouble taking some of the passes he has had to try and take in the past few years. :)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 9:18 am

Russell wrote:
Wed 17 Jan, 2018 8:49 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Tacky wrote:

That may well be Hap - but even you would have trouble taking some of the passes he has had to try and take in the past few years. :)
Thought that was my first point , Rowdy hits the hole even when playing flat on the advantage line and Brooks etc hits Rowdy

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 17 Jan, 2018 1:25 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Wed 17 Jan, 2018 9:18 am
Russell wrote:
Wed 17 Jan, 2018 8:49 am
happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:

Thought that was my first point , Rowdy hits the hole even when playing flat on the advantage line and Brooks etc hits Rowdy
It can be a bit risky playing so close to the line. If it comes off and he gets through , it’s great. But if the ball is lost on tackle three it can be costly .
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 8:46 am

Don't care where he plays but M Eisenhuth must be in the 17 if not the 13. Speaking of the 13 lock is his spot.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Thu 18 Jan, 2018 8:55 am

Eisenhuth was very successful in the lock position. So I think he start there. Twal could be very good there as well. We are blessed to have to guys like that with big motors.
If Eisenhuth picks up an injury and Twal goes to 13, our team structure won’t change much at all.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...