Mentality Shift

Eddie

Mentality Shift

Post by Eddie » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 5:00 pm

I'll be honest I have doubts about our recruitment and how he will go this year. I think some of it looks short term and high risk with some players nearing 30 years old. However I love the mentality most the squad seem to be cultivating. It may well just be pre season fluff. However it feels like every position is up for grabs. Guys are competing at training. He have depth in positions, no standouts. Fringe players fell part of it not outcasts. No real pecking order. No Egos. Beni has been humbled on return. No one is better then anyone else.

Maybe that is what Cleary is best at. Because he sure as hell doesn't have the most talented side this year for mine. However everyone would be pumped to just see a competitive and hungry side each week. Cleary thrived on creating a similar dynamic at Penrith where there was no 3 or 4 super stars and a lack of depth. It was a big squad that could survive injures. Whilst we don't have anywhere near the same talent I think it breed a new culture.

For years I think we have had a Peking order under Sheens, through Robbie/Benji and then though the so called Big 4 influence last year. Whether you blame the players or the coaches I think proper team morale and culture haven't always been there. Sheens seemed to look after his favourites. Potter struggled to have power. Taylor couldn't cultivate the right environment. Players maybe stepped into areas they shouldn't have or took short cuts. People talked behind each others back. We were soft. We have had better tams then the 2018 version but we were nearly always fragile.

We might struggle this year. However we needed a reboot.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 5:06 pm

CTL+ALT+DEL

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 6:08 pm

If all 17 blokes are pulling the rope the same direction this year, we will do infinitely better than we have the last six years.

Might not have a serious dip at the finals, but a strong approach to every game might see us scrape in and display an attitude that premier players will want to be a part of. The greats want a side that will do their part and put in for each other because that is what allows the greats to be great.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 6:24 pm

I'll go with fluff..until I see the words in action on the footy field..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 7:31 pm

Maybe it's fluff but at least it is a different approach.

Having a few "star" players is fine and dandy so long as they are pulling their weight. As soon as 1 or 2 of them get injured or lose form, the whole idea falls apart - eggs in one basket, so to speak.

There's been a Top 3/4 players miles ahead of everyone else for about 15 years, so I am looking forward to seeing a more evenly distributed team.

Also personally I'm looking forward to the increase in power. We've always been a bit slight and even our top talent like Woods and Tedesco weren't 1:1 dominant. Seeing something like Tui, Nofo, Milne, Marsters, Fonua, Reynolds, Brooks - quite a bulky backline, if lacking a touch for pace, but plenty of strength and hit-up capability.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 7:42 pm

I really don’t think Cleary could have done a better job, considering 3 of the club’s biggest names walked out the door. Our pack looks stronger, halves are a bit of an unknown, backs look solid. I think we are in a healthier position than teams like the Dogs, Titans, Souths and the Warriors. Hell, I think we have the potential to finish in front of sides like Saints, Canberra and the Sharks. Time will tell.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:00 pm

If one or two players step up and deliver the unexpected x-factor then I think we will be ok, otherwise I'm honestly expecting a tough, competitive side that improves but doesn't really challenge anything above 8-11 on the ladder.

Looking at our squad, I think our new starting props will have to really work out as they are our biggest investment in one position. TBH I think they will.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:30 pm

All recruitment is something of a gamble, having doubts is nothing new especially for WTs fans.
Pessimism isnt foreign for us....its become natural after the crap weve been dished up lately
With so many new recruits its long odds they'll all shine, there'll be a few duds...hopefully the majority are consistently good players and with a bit of luck a real gem or two
I think weve got a coach with his head screwed on right, with his first full off season with us, his own team and the improvement we saw back end of last season im running with that for now

Tigrr

Post by Tigrr » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:30 pm

Power, mental energy and teamwork win games. I didnt see much of that coming from the so called big 4 except for Tedesco (yet not so much teamwork from him). I am quietly optimistic that the Tigers will do well and surprise a lot of folks

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:37 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:30 pm
All recruitment is something of a gamble, having doubts is nothing new especially for WTs fans.
Pessimism isnt foreign for us....its become natural after the crap weve been dished up lately
With so many new recruits its long odds they'll all shine, there'll be a few duds...hopefully the majority are consistently good players and with a bit of luck a real gem or two
I think weve got a coach with his head screwed on right, with his first full off season with us, his own team and the improvement we saw back end of last season im running with that for now
x 2.

I think the best thing we have going for us right now is Cleary. Coaches can't win comps for you as you need the cattle to perform but coaches can stuff things up and I don't see Cleary doing that. Hopefully we see consistent improvements over the year and over the next couple of seasons.

sheer64
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by sheer64 » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 10:05 pm

I think we are finally heading in the right direction. We have got rid of the divas, put in a coach who seems to get the players respect and have reduced the reliance on junior development. We do not have the best team in the comp, nor will we ever be able to compete with the salary cheats. I saw enough late last year where we were competitive in matches to make me believe there is light at the end of the tunnel and that light is a top eight spot.
:sign:
Today we saw a true champion in Winx, and a true bludger in Cleary!

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 11:09 pm

Footy is a game of metres. For too long our 5th tackle kick has occurred from our side of the 50m line meaning opposition teams start their set on their 20 and may get 10 to 20 yards past half way by the end of the set. They are always attacking, we are always running out of trouble. FINALLY we have a team that will make metres. We won’t always be on the defensive. Our wingers will run strong on early tackles. Our forwards wil get past the advantage line. Ourv5th tackle kick, if executed will see team begin their set from their goal line. This is going to make a HUGE difference over 80 minutes. I reckon we’re going to do ok this year
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:30 am

old man tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:00 pm
If one or two players step up and deliver the unexpected x-factor then I think we will be ok, otherwise I'm honestly expecting a tough, competitive side that improves but doesn't really challenge anything above 8-11 on the ladder.

Looking at our squad, I think our new starting props will have to really work out as they are our biggest investment in one position. TBH I think they will.
I think they will too, with Twal becoming/already a diamond signing as well, we should be making dominant metres and not slow motion leading with the arse ones. With that foundation, we should not really need that x-factor, even though I expect Tui to provide it anyhow.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 7:59 am

Geo is right. 2018 Version of Fluff... Every team talks this rubbish prior to the first whistle being blown.

The Wests Tigers are the same team as they were last year [rubbish] until results indicate otherwise.

If they dont make the Top 8 in 2018, this culture gibber will of meant nothing!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 8:17 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 7:59 am
Geo is right. 2018 Version of Fluff... Every team talks this rubbish prior to the first whistle being blown.

The Wests Tigers are the same team as they were last year [rubbish] until results indicate otherwise.

If they dont make the Top 8 in 2018, this culture gibber will of meant nothing!
lol So Salty...

Have a Beer..

Happy Australia Day..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:30 am

I’m quietly confident of a better season - just like every year. That comes with being a Wests Tigers supporter.

I think Brooks will definitely improve, not so much because of gaining J Reynolds but because of getting rid of M Moses. Ok, Moses was gone for 75% of last year but it took time to change things and Cleary was vocal about not changing things too much when he came in.

Looking forward to see how our pack improves with Packer, Matulino, McQueen coming in and solid improvement from Twal and the ‘Huth.

Cleary improved our defense as the season progressed last year. With a full preseason with the new squad I can see it improving.

I think our head office is also doing much better.

In fact I am struggling to remember when the last negative article was written about us - such a change from this time last year.

Good luck boys, have a proper dig for us long suffering supporters.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:56 am

I am hopeful for a much improved showing in terms of competitiveness, but not so confident that the actual results will improve much.

I think that our defence will improve markedly, but am worried that the attack might lack options and the ability to put points on teams.

I think that the season may come down to a couple of key positions:
Centres: I would like to see Milne have a big year
Back-rowers: Need to be selected on form and not reputations (think Aloiai should be there for sure)
Halves: How they gel, the kicking game and the options that they take

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:39 pm

formerguest wrote:
Fri 26 Jan, 2018 12:30 am
old man tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Jan, 2018 8:00 pm

I think they will too, with Twal becoming/already a diamond signing as well, we should be making dominant metres and not slow motion leading with the arse ones. With that foundation, we should not really need that x-factor, even though I expect Tui to provide it anyhow.
Hope you're right mate. I'm permanently somewhere between concerned and optimistic, a position unique to WT supporters!