The 'other' Watene-Zelezniak set to roar for Wests Tigers

willow

Post by willow » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:20 pm

Author Joel Gould Timestamp Sun 11 Feb 2018, 12:17 PM

Based on a stellar pre-season and form at the back end of last year, Wests Tigers prop Tim Grant insists we'll be hearing a lot more about "the other Watene-Zeleniak" in 2018.

Malakai Watene-Zelezniak, the 26-year-old elder brother of Penrith star Dallin, is one of the "journeymen" Grant said had arrived at the Wests Tigers with the goal of playing the best football of their careers.

After shining as a Panthers under 20s, Malakai went on his own journey and tried his hand at rugby union with the NSW Country Eagles in 2014.

After returning to Penrith and finally making his NRL debut last year he got a release to the Wests Tigers where he scored six tries in 13 impressive games.

"I was at the Panthers with Malakai … and then he missed the boat a little bit," Grant told NRL.com

"To see where he is now compared to where he was back then is a massive transformation.

"Malakai has come back to training in great condition. I haven't seen a guy as fit as him in a long time.

"He has dropped a lot of weight and in the fitness and speed drills at training he beats everyone.

"He is just so professional, and any young rookies coming through should be modelling their preparation on Malakai because he does everything right.

"I had a bit to do with Dallin at Penrith and I see similarities between the two in the way they leave no stone unturned and look after their bodies."

Grant said Malakai was set for "a big year" to follow on from his late season form in 2017. If so, the headline writers may well be putting "MWZ" up in lights as well as "DWZ".

"Malakai showed us all what he was capable of at the back end of last year," Grant said.

"When he was at Penrith he was the next big thing and had all the wraps but didn't get his break for various reasons.

"He went to New Zealand and then he played rugby, but I really think this is his break because he's big and fit and fast. He has got everything you need."

The comings and goings at the Tigers last year, and in the off-season, have been significant.

During 2017 there was the arrival of new coach Ivan Cleary and the departure of Jason Taylor, then the loss of Mitchell Moses. Aaron Woods and James Tedesco moved on at the end of the season. Benji Marshall has returned, Josh Reynolds is on board and leading forwards Ben Matulino, Russell Packer and Chris McQueen have also been acquired.

"The thing for us last year was that there was a lot of instability," Grant said.

"We got a coach five or six weeks in and there were transfers and people coming and going, but we also learned plenty and a lot of young guys got some experience.

"We took a lot of top-four teams right to their limits, which was a good thing."

Grant conceded that "only a skeleton of that 2017 team remains" in one respect, but he quickly added the flesh that had been put on the bones of that skeleton had him excited about the year ahead.

"Now we are all in it together. Josh Reynolds went through a bit at the Bulldogs, Chris McQueen has come in on the back of an injury. All of the guys want to be playing the best footy of their careers and they are putting in the work to do that."

TSupps05

Post by TSupps05 » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:23 pm

It is between himself, Mahe and Kevvie for the other wing spot i guess.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:27 pm

He might be a centre option, but I don't think that he is up to first grade.

Any decent 1st grader that goes to union is Wallaby standard, or super rugby at least.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:56 pm

The wing spot should be his to lose as he performed well for us. Coming back fitter and faster to training is the right message to send to Cleary. It is this type of player who will make the difference for us between being also rans or making the top 8. Well done.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Masterton » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:58 pm

willow wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:20 pm

"He has dropped a lot of weight and in the fitness and speed drills at training he beats everyone.
Never knew he was that quick. Ivan certainly seems to be encouraging our outside backs to get trim and fast.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 2:12 pm

Has played centre and fullback in Reggies at the Pamfers...just saying...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 2:34 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:56 pm
The wing spot should be his to lose as he performed well for us. Coming back fitter and faster to training is the right message to send to Cleary. It is this type of player who will make the difference for us between being also rans or making the top 8. Well done.
If he is good enough he will play himself into that spot. The best player will get that position. Doesn't really matter who starts the year, Cleary will make sure whoever is performing the best gets rewarded.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 2:45 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 1:27 pm
He might be a centre option, but I don't think that he is up to first grade.

Any decent 1st grader that goes to union is Wallaby standard, or super rugby at least.
Gee i thought he at least proved he's up to first grade last year. He was solid week in week out without looking like a star. If he comes back faster, stronger and more confident, then he's certainly in the mix.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 3:32 pm

Tacky wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 2:34 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
If he is good enough he will play himself into that spot. The best player will get that position. Doesn't really matter who starts the year, Cleary will make sure whoever is performing the best gets rewarded.
How do you know this...All Coaches have their favoured players...The best teams use the least amount of players stability in the 17 bating injuries often the key...
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

likeatiger

Post by likeatiger » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:15 pm

Lets just all rejoice no matter who is picked for that left wing they will do a job. Even if injuries/suspensions hit we have good options available all the way down to our 4th or even 5th choice winger!!! Personally i would like to see Nofo/Fonua start but to be honest i will back Kevvy or MWZ if they get the nod too. How good is this depth thing!? :lol:

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:16 pm

I as hoping to hear that MWZ had dropped some weight. Felt he was playing too big last year and that it hindered his speed. Will be good to see how he goes playing lighter.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 6:30 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 3:32 pm
Tacky wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 2:34 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
How do you know this...All Coaches have their favoured players...The best teams use the least amount of players stability in the 17 bating injuries often the key...
There was an interview with Cleary recently where he said to expect changes to the team. I don't remember where the interview was, I'll see if I can find it.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 7:33 pm

I think when your starting something new its all about rewarding performance and attitude.

If he is beating the other outside backs in terms of fitness and shape then i hope he gets a start. Not a world beater perhaps but I thought he did pretty well last year.

BodhiTiger

Post by BodhiTiger » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 7:45 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:
100% agree. Good post.
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:06 pm

I think we all Trust Ivan and the decisions he will make
We need to
If all our players can pick up an extra 1 or 2 % in fitness speed and defence then we will do well this year
Having our passes stick also helps
Our players and supporters need to be confident in there abilities
The players need to trust each others ability
I hope getting rid of some of the big heads we had in our team last year helps our team work
Showing confidence in those around you goes a long way
We have a new bunch of players and all will be hungry for positions and to prove they still have what it takes
I believe in them
We will do well this year
The good thing is we still have around $1.4 million to spend
I think we are in a great position
My question is
Are all you guys on the Bus or off at the next stop
This isn't directed at anyone but I have seen some negative comments in the past
Must be gate crashers

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:11 pm

i didn't overly rate him last year. he was ok but I thought he was a bit soft in defence and didn't offer enough in attack to make up for that. I doubt he'd get a start in many top 8 teams backline. however theres been multiple sources saying he's been a real stand out in pre season. if he does get a start in round 1 he'll have deserved it.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:23 pm

Cairnstigers wrote:
Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:06 pm
I think we all Trust Ivan and the decisions he will make
We need to
If all our players can pick up an extra 1 or 2 % in fitness speed and defence then we will do well this year
Having our passes stick also helps
Our players and supporters need to be confident in there abilities
The players need to trust each others ability
I hope getting rid of some of the big heads we had in our team last year helps our team work
Showing confidence in those around you goes a long way
We have a new bunch of players and all will be hungry for positions and to prove they still have what it takes
I believe in them
We will do well this year
The good thing is we still have around $1.4 million to spend
I think we are in a great position
My question is
Are all you guys on the Bus or off at the next stop
This isn't directed at anyone but I have seen some negative comments in the past
Must be gate crashers

Welcome to the Forum Cairnstiger..I like your post..

DW after you read happy's posts for a while the negative will rub off...
Ivan's Laws

Tiger Watto wrote:
Geo nailed it...

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Sun 11 Feb, 2018 8:32 pm

I.like MWZ....thought he was capable last year hopefully we see a bit of improvement this year....hes a top bloke too