Nucky Thompson wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:59 pm
Pawsandclaws wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 6:48 pm
king sirro wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:05 am
formerguest wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:59 am

I saw Brooks as our best, with Gamble not far behind. Reynolds normally puts in the effort, but watching him not dive on the ball that Thurston then soccered up field for a try was lacking in it.
Yeh i saw Brooks performance as a real positive start for him. Yes his most disapointing aspect of his game was a again down, but the rest was really good IMO. Fine tuning that short kicking game is a big priority now. I think he will get there.

Very impressed with Gamble. Big and strong, was talking a lot, took the line on well and has a boot on him. Would seriosly watch his progress over the next month.

I also like Lolohea at fullback. He is definately a running player rather then a 6. So powerful.

I've said in many threads what i thought of Esarn. He has to start. We will score so many tries off his offloads. Its almost a shame to waste him outwide. He would kill it at right backrow. But happy to have him in the centres for now as its a weakness he can strengthen.
I have to agree with you KS. I thought Brooks' game was good and he was a constant threat with his pace and elusiveness. Gamble looks a talent and our problem will be holding onto him when the Qld clubs come calling.

Marsters is a talent and a player who consistently breaks the line and unloads. Extend his contract quickly. Mikaele and JJ are fine young talents to go with ALex Twal. I also enjoy watching Eisenhuth.
After the trial i can confidently say masters and milne are my centre paring. Masters kust needs early ball.
Good point. That's one think that stood out to me. Rather than the halves running to the line and passing there (like early last year). They mostly either gave early ball or took on the line.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:38 pm

TSupps05 wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:07 pm
Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm
smoking gun wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 4:11 pm

Sezer Frawley Ben Hunt Adam Reynolds..

The Dragons paid a Million bucks for Hunt to throw passes to row zz last night..that was funny..

based on last night played better than the No.1 so I dunno...

Lol, thanks for the laugh pal.
Just out of curiosity Sg and Geo can you rate 1 - 16 of current halfbacks for this yr. Also is your listing stats based or on what you have seen.
Thurston Cronk Cherry Evans Johnson Peirce Cleary Hunt Moses Brooks Reynolds Townsend Sezer Nikorima Taylor Mbye Croft
From what I've seen
Best Halfbacks in Order used for NRL.com's predicted line-ups:
Thurston
Cronk
Cherry Evans
Cleary
Pearce
Johnson
A. Reynolds
Hunt
Moses
Townsend
Taylor
Brooks
Croft
Sezer
Frawley
Nikorima
You can take out Frawley Foran will be halfback for the Dogs.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:45 pm

TSupps05 wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:07 pm
Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:28 pm
smoking gun wrote:
Geo. wrote:

The Dragons paid a Million bucks for Hunt to throw passes to row zz last night..that was funny..

Just out of curiosity Sg and Geo can you rate 1 - 16 of current halfbacks for this yr. Also is your listing stats based or on what you have seen.
Thurston Cronk Cherry Evans Johnson Peirce Cleary Hunt Moses Brooks Reynolds Townsend Sezer Nikorima Taylor Mbye Croft
From what I've seen
Best Halfbacks in Order used for NRL.com's predicted line-ups:
Thurston
Cronk
Cherry Evans
Cleary
Pearce
Johnson
A. Reynolds
Hunt
Moses
Townsend
Taylor
Brooks
Croft
Sezer
Frawley
Nikorima
9. Taylor
10. Moses
11. Brooks
12. Townsend

The rest looks pretty good!

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:49 pm

Just watched the game and noticed in the 3rd quarter that Josh Reynolds moved to Hooker and to Dummy half
Thompson went to fullback in defence but onto the wing in attack
Brooks in the halves with Goodinet
Tui on the bench
I liked what Tui produced from the back but can see him in the halves with Brooks again at times throughout the year

Interesting to note that when Thompson was at the back Cowboys didn't score and Thompson was doing a lot of talk

I thought our young forwards had a great game as to did Masters and Milne
The big surprise for me was Gamble
I thought he had a great game apart from the one kick in the rain
He is on my bench after that performance

Although the cowboys gave away 5 penalties for incorrect play the balls we were good enough to make the most of our opportunities
Even better we have 4 starting forwards to come back
And Benji offcourse

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 12:17 am

smoking gun wrote:
Geo. wrote:
smoking gun wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 3:12 pm
Geo. wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:26 pm

About 12th
Who do you have below him?

It's really going to depend on who starts as half for each side Rd 1 at this stage

Depending on who clubs start with probably 12th -14th

This was my rankings , I still think when push comes to shove Bird will play 7 at Brisbane and depending on the Dogs also

Halfbacks

1 Thurston
2 Cronk
3 Pearce
4 Johnson
5 DCE
6 Norman
7 Hunt
8 Cleary
9 A Reynolds
10 Bird
11 Croft
12 Taylor
13 Brooks
14 Townsend
15 Sezer
16 Mbye

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 1:56 pm

I also watched the game last night. Was interesting to have read all these comments before watching.

I agree Felise did well but I also agree with Patriot, I thought Aloiai was the best forward on the park in terms of showing what he could offer the team for impact in 2018. Big, hard to handle, good acceleration. Felise worked hard and that impressed me in the humid conditions, but obviously it's a trial and Clearly was running players on and off with unlimited interchange.

Given that Mikaele and Grant also looked pretty good, I thought the Cowboys really gifted us field position with their mistakes, but also their ordinary line speed and defence. Pretty much every forward rolled through them.

Aloiai appears to be continuing his development well, just needs to take that next step in maturity and football brains to be a threat every week.

Overall I thought it was a terrific team performance, which is what impressed me most. We dominated all game and despite Cowboys gifting possession like those PTB penalties, we were only pinged for 1 (?) in contrast and most of their other dropped balls / kick errors / bad passes were caused by the Tigers line speed and intensity. It's always been true if you flood Thurston you drastically reduce his impact, and we've always had a good record against the Cows because we handle Thurston better than average.

So if we can keep up that team intensity, the talk, the work in defence... good things will follow. But the platform looked good, the team had plenty of capacity to be lazy or fade out of the game, but did not, everyone was working hard.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 2:22 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 12:17 am
smoking gun wrote:
Geo. wrote:
smoking gun wrote:

It's really going to depend on who starts as half for each side Rd 1 at this stage

This was my rankings , I still think when push comes to shove Bird will play 7 at Brisbane and depending on the Dogs also

Halfbacks

1 Thurston
2 Cronk
3 Pearce
4 Johnson
5 DCE
6 Norman
7 Hunt
8 Cleary
9 A Reynolds
10 Bird
11 Croft
12 Taylor
13 Brooks
14 Townsend
15 Sezer
16 Mbye
1. Thurston
2. Cronk
3. Pearce
4. DCE
5. Cleary
6. Moses
7. Johnson
8. Hunt
9. Reynolds
10. Taylor
11. Bird
12. Brooks
13. Croft
14. Townsend
15. Frawley
16. Sezer
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 3:17 pm

Brooks had a poor game. Not sure how anyone could say he was anything but poor. Yeah he ran a little bit, never threatened though. Gave away 3 7 tackle sets, regularly only found 10m from penalties, and there was that god awful pass 10m behind everyone which led to the Cowboys try with 5 seconds to go in the first half.

he keeps playing like last night and he'll be in nsw cup by round 5.

Oh and on those lists you'd definitely have premiership winning Townsend above Brooks, and Foran instead of Frawley. Brooks would be 14th/15th. Ahead of Sezer and probably Croft based on croft limited first grade experience.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 3:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 12:17 am
smoking gun wrote:
Geo. wrote:
smoking gun wrote:

Halfbacks

1 Thurston
2 Cronk
3 Pearce
4 Johnson
5 DCE
6 Norman
7 Hunt
8 Cleary
9 A Reynolds
10 Bird
11 Croft
12 Taylor
13 Brooks
14 Townsend
15 Sezer
16 Mbye
Ash Taylor 12th? He was nearly the top try assist half last year. Gold coast scored the mostbfrom kicks that originated from him.Hed be 7th at least.

will1999

Post by will1999 » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 3:42 pm

I would put Croft ahead of Pearce

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 4:32 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 3:17 pm
Brooks had a poor game. Not sure how anyone could say he was anything but poor. Yeah he ran a little bit, never threatened though. Gave away 3 7 tackle sets, regularly only found 10m from penalties, and there was that god awful pass 10m behind everyone which led to the Cowboys try with 5 seconds to go in the first half.

Oh and on those lists you'd definitely have premiership winning Townsend above Brooks, and Foran instead of Frawley. Brooks would be 14th/15th. Ahead of Sezer and probably Croft based on croft limited first grade experience.
While Brooksy didn't set the world alight on Saturday . . . . credit where it's due.
He did kick way too long. Every one of his "grubbers" was long. He got lucky once and NQ played at the ball, but they all had way too much on them. That goes for his kicks for touch as well. All bar one made the touchie run further downfield. The touchies have seen 4.9 gajillion kicks for touch and know pretty much exactly where to stand so they don't have to run.
He got the ball at least 8-10m past them nearly every time.
He took the line on much more, and did make a few half busts. Enough to attract more defence on him.
And yes, there was THAT pass.
So while he wasn't perfect, I thought it was a step in the right direction at least.
If he don't work out, we saw a few minutes work from his 2018 replacement.

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 4:46 pm

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:15 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:

Can I have a dollar for every metre he gained more than 10 in the penalty line kicks?

I counted a few than were over 30 metres.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:24 pm

Go You Good Things wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 4:32 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

While Brooksy didn't set the world alight on Saturday . . . . credit where it's due.
He did kick way too long. Every one of his "grubbers" was long. He got lucky once and NQ played at the ball, but they all had way too much on them. That goes for his kicks for touch as well. All bar one made the touchie run further downfield. The touchies have seen 4.9 gajillion kicks for touch and know pretty much exactly where to stand so they don't have to run.
He took the line on much more, and did make a few half busts. Enough to attract more defence on him.
So while he wasn't perfect, I thought it was a step in the right direction at least.
Ive been a Luke Brooks fan but i thought that was one of his worst games.
Its an opinion!

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:32 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:24 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

Gamble had a good couple of minutes but I didn’t think any of the other halves exactly killed it either . It was the first trial of the season in wet conditions .
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

smoking gun

Post by smoking gun » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:35 pm

Aside from Frawley I'd take every starting halfback over brooks.

Let's be honest. We have seen enough of him to know he's not going to be elite. 4 seasons under his belt and nothing. The simple things still elude him like repeat sets, field position etc wests tigers have a LONG history of over rating their juniors, he's almost top of the list.

There's a reason he didn't leave and had his contract reduced. If the Cronk/Pearce thing eventuated sooner things may have been different for him

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:35 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:32 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:24 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:

Gamble had a good couple of minutes but I didn’t think any of the other halves exactly killed it either . It was the first trial of the season in wet conditions .
No doubt they can all improve.
Its an opinion!