Brooks given keys to Tigers' NRL kingdom

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4693
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Brooks given keys to Tigers' NRL kingdom

Post by gallagher » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:26 am

The Patriot wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:07 pm
gallagher wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:50 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:38 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:30 pm


I think most people on here like Brooks as well. We just haven't seen the best of him. Just little glimpses. Hopefully this year, with a genuine 5/8 next to him and a decent forward pack, the right preseason training, we see his best.

The decent forward pack should be the thing. That and a more traditional half back role.

I think he'lll run more this year. Take on the line.
I think he literally needs to be told that he news to take the line on x amount of times a game. Give him a measurable goal until it becomes second nature.
See this is where i stick up for him.

It is already in his nature.

The previous coach wanted him to sit on one side of the field and set up out the back balls for Tedesco.

This coach wants him to play both sides and take control. Its the classic case of coaching to the players strength.
Well its all up to him now. He's got a pack,a 5/8 and a coach.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27852
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:52 am

gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:13 pm
gallagher wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:50 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:38 pm



The decent forward pack should be the thing. That and a more traditional half back role.

I think he'lll run more this year. Take on the line.
I think he literally needs to be told that he news to take the line on x amount of times a game. Give him a measurable goal until it becomes second nature.
it doesn't work like that.
taking on the line is playing what you see.
ad.lib.
structured randomness doesnt exist
I dont mean for this to be a long term tactic. Its just a strategy to force him to run again. He seems reluctant to play what's in front of him and if he's not given a measurable goal to meet he'll never take that step.
He hasn't run for years, how do you get him started again?
Not sure what you mean..in '17 Brooks ave 76 running metres per game compared to the top echelon only Thurston was better with 78m ..looking at a few others Pearce 66m Cherry-Evans 57m Cleary 74m Taylor 51m Reynolds 44m and Cronk 58m ..

Interestingly Josh Reynolds also ran for 60m a game on ave..If you are getting close to 150m per game out of your halves that's pretty good..

Long way from Anasta 1 hit up 0m...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm


Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4693
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:02 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:52 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:13 pm
gallagher wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 9:50 pm


I think he literally needs to be told that he news to take the line on x amount of times a game. Give him a measurable goal until it becomes second nature.
it doesn't work like that.
taking on the line is playing what you see.
ad.lib.
structured randomness doesnt exist
I dont mean for this to be a long term tactic. Its just a strategy to force him to run again. He seems reluctant to play what's in front of him and if he's not given a measurable goal to meet he'll never take that step.
He hasn't run for years, how do you get him started again?
Not sure what you mean..in '17 Brooks ave 76 running metres per game compared to the top echelon only Thurston was better with 78m ..looking at a few others Pearce 66m Cherry-Evans 57m Cleary 74m Taylor 51m Reynolds 44m and Cronk 58m ..

Interestingly Josh Reynolds also ran for 60m a game on ave..If you are getting close to 150m per game out of your halves that's pretty good..

Long way from Anasta 1 hit up 0m...
Interesting stats. I don't recall him taking the line on that much. His metres might be from backing up/ inside balls.
Watching him play I still think he needs to attack the defensive line. Do you think he's adequate in this area?

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27852
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:10 am

gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:02 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:52 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
innsaneink wrote:
Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:13 pm

it doesn't work like that.
taking on the line is playing what you see.
ad.lib.
structured randomness doesnt exist
I dont mean for this to be a long term tactic. Its just a strategy to force him to run again. He seems reluctant to play what's in front of him and if he's not given a measurable goal to meet he'll never take that step.
He hasn't run for years, how do you get him started again?
Not sure what you mean..in '17 Brooks ave 76 running metres per game compared to the top echelon only Thurston was better with 78m ..looking at a few others Pearce 66m Cherry-Evans 57m Cleary 74m Taylor 51m Reynolds 44m and Cronk 58m ..

Interestingly Josh Reynolds also ran for 60m a game on ave..If you are getting close to 150m per game out of your halves that's pretty good..

Long way from Anasta 1 hit up 0m...
Interesting stats. I don't recall him taking the line on that much. His metres might be from backing up/ inside balls.
Watching him play I still think he needs to attack the defensive line. Do you think he's adequate in this area?
https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/nrl- ... odx_SN94y4

He was pretty consistent throughout the year cracking over 100m in 3 games ..the Newcastle game a standout with 179m..

To me he ran a lot more from that game onwards both in backing up and in general play..where he took the line on a lot more IMO..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm


Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4693
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:14 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:10 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:02 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:52 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:24 am


I dont mean for this to be a long term tactic. Its just a strategy to force him to run again. He seems reluctant to play what's in front of him and if he's not given a measurable goal to meet he'll never take that step.
He hasn't run for years, how do you get him started again?
Not sure what you mean..in '17 Brooks ave 76 running metres per game compared to the top echelon only Thurston was better with 78m ..looking at a few others Pearce 66m Cherry-Evans 57m Cleary 74m Taylor 51m Reynolds 44m and Cronk 58m ..

Interestingly Josh Reynolds also ran for 60m a game on ave..If you are getting close to 150m per game out of your halves that's pretty good..

Long way from Anasta 1 hit up 0m...
Interesting stats. I don't recall him taking the line on that much. His metres might be from backing up/ inside balls.
Watching him play I still think he needs to attack the defensive line. Do you think he's adequate in this area?
https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/nrl- ... odx_SN94y4

He was pretty consistent throughout the year cracking over 100m in 3 games ..the Newcastle game a standout with 179m..

To me he ran a lot more from that game onwards both in backing up and in general play..where he took the line on a lot more IMO..
Fair enough, but running metres doesn't necessarily mean he's taking the line on. I think it's on area that he needs improving.
I'm quite optimistic about him this year.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27852
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:16 am

gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:14 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:10 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:02 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:52 am


Not sure what you mean..in '17 Brooks ave 76 running metres per game compared to the top echelon only Thurston was better with 78m ..looking at a few others Pearce 66m Cherry-Evans 57m Cleary 74m Taylor 51m Reynolds 44m and Cronk 58m ..

Interestingly Josh Reynolds also ran for 60m a game on ave..If you are getting close to 150m per game out of your halves that's pretty good..

Long way from Anasta 1 hit up 0m...
Interesting stats. I don't recall him taking the line on that much. His metres might be from backing up/ inside balls.
Watching him play I still think he needs to attack the defensive line. Do you think he's adequate in this area?
https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/nrl- ... odx_SN94y4

He was pretty consistent throughout the year cracking over 100m in 3 games ..the Newcastle game a standout with 179m..

To me he ran a lot more from that game onwards both in backing up and in general play..where he took the line on a lot more IMO..
Fair enough, but running metres doesn't necessarily mean he's taking the line on. I think it's on area that he needs improving.
I'm quite optimistic about him this year.
He also ranks highly for hit ups with 10 per game compared with the others..so i guess you could classify that as taking on the line..

The more he runs though the better I agree with that..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm


Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4693
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:18 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:16 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:14 am
Geo. wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:10 am
gallagher wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:02 am

Interesting stats. I don't recall him taking the line on that much. His metres might be from backing up/ inside balls.
Watching him play I still think he needs to attack the defensive line. Do you think he's adequate in this area?
https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/nrl- ... odx_SN94y4

He was pretty consistent throughout the year cracking over 100m in 3 games ..the Newcastle game a standout with 179m..

To me he ran a lot more from that game onwards both in backing up and in general play..where he took the line on a lot more IMO..
Fair enough, but running metres doesn't necessarily mean he's taking the line on. I think it's on area that he needs improving.
I'm quite optimistic about him this year.
He also ranks highly for hit ups with 10 per game compared with the others..so i guess you could classify that as taking on the line..

The more he runs though the better I agree with that..
Remarkable stats.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 4340
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 12:10 pm

Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I remember him taking the line on quite a bit in the last part of the season.

He probably pulled his head in during a couple of games because of the hamstrings as well - all in all I thought he did a good job with limited talent around him.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27538
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 1:42 pm

yeh his running gamenisnt a problem imo...

those moments when were in their twenty with the ball, and there were many last year.... on certain tackles where no.one had a clue what was happening, players standing still being passed the ball...players running across field...players that shouldn't be kicking kicking on the last...thimgs like this...ownership of the play... and his short kicking game is all he needs to work on.

yeti
Member
Member
Posts: 1252
Joined: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:38 pm

Post by yeti » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 2:09 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 1:42 pm
yeh his running gamenisnt a problem imo...

those moments when were in their twenty with the ball, and there were many last year.... on certain tackles where no.one had a clue what was happening, players standing still being passed the ball...players running across field...players that shouldn't be kicking kicking on the last...thimgs like this...ownership of the play... and his short kicking game is all he needs to work on.
Fair assessment.

User avatar
Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 2397
Joined: Thu 06 Apr, 2017 2:57 pm
Location: Tweed Heads

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 2:21 pm

His running game was good last year the main problem was the short kicking options.

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am

Post by king sirro » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:36 pm

I actually get tired of hearing how certain halves need ro run more. IMO l the 2 worst halfbacks that seem to run at the wrong times and the wrong way are Brooks and Pearce. Now when i say run the wrong i mean this, basically taking a hit up. Both these guys take the line on almost premeditated like a forward. No half should ever premeditate a run. They need to ball play into the line and sometimes the option will present itself to run and that instinct will take over, but most of the time passing will be the better option.

You never see Thurston running the ball for the sake of it like Pearce and Brooks, he ball plays into the line and only runs if the opportunity presents. There can be games where Thurston doesn't get tackled, does that mean he didn't run enough? No way. I bet he landed on his back plenty of times without the ball because he dug into the line deep before passing.

Just go to the line with running options around you, thats all Brooks has to do in regards to running.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4693
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:43 pm

king sirro wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:36 pm
I actually get tired of hearing how certain halves need ro run more. IMO l the 2 worst halfbacks that seem to run at the wrong times and the wrong way are Brooks and Pearce. Now when i say run the wrong i mean this, basically taking a hit up. Both these guys take the line on almost premeditated like a forward. No half should ever premeditate a run. They need to ball play into the line and sometimes the option will present itself to run and that instinct will take over, but most of the time passing will be the better option.

You never see Thurston running the ball for the sake of it like Pearce and Brooks, he ball plays into the line and only runs if the opportunity presents. There can be games where Thurston doesn't get tackled, does that mean he didn't run enough? No way. I bet he landed on his back plenty of times without the ball because he dug into the line deep before passing.

Just go to the line with running options around you, thats all Brooks has to do in regards to running.
Good post KS, as usual.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27852
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:52 pm

Options around you now that is interesting...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm


Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

Red88 Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri 08 Dec, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:13 pm

king sirro wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:36 pm
I actually get tired of hearing how certain halves need ro run more. IMO l the 2 worst halfbacks that seem to run at the wrong times and the wrong way are Brooks and Pearce. Now when i say run the wrong i mean this, basically taking a hit up. Both these guys take the line on almost premeditated like a forward. No half should ever premeditate a run. They need to ball play into the line and sometimes the option will present itself to run and that instinct will take over, but most of the time passing will be the better option.

You never see Thurston running the ball for the sake of it like Pearce and Brooks, he ball plays into the line and only runs if the opportunity presents. There can be games where Thurston doesn't get tackled, does that mean he didn't run enough? No way. I bet he landed on his back plenty of times without the ball because he dug into the line deep before passing.

Just go to the line with running options around you, thats all Brooks has to do in regards to running.
Thurston always has somebody pushing up in support which gives him an option. Brooks didn't have that all the time

king sirro
Member
Member
Posts: 5786
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:39 am

Post by king sirro » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:15 pm

Red88 Tiger wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:13 pm
king sirro wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:36 pm
I actually get tired of hearing how certain halves need ro run more. IMO l the 2 worst halfbacks that seem to run at the wrong times and the wrong way are Brooks and Pearce. Now when i say run the wrong i mean this, basically taking a hit up. Both these guys take the line on almost premeditated like a forward. No half should ever premeditate a run. They need to ball play into the line and sometimes the option will present itself to run and that instinct will take over, but most of the time passing will be the better option.

You never see Thurston running the ball for the sake of it like Pearce and Brooks, he ball plays into the line and only runs if the opportunity presents. There can be games where Thurston doesn't get tackled, does that mean he didn't run enough? No way. I bet he landed on his back plenty of times without the ball because he dug into the line deep before passing.

Just go to the line with running options around you, thats all Brooks has to do in regards to running.
Thurston always has somebody pushing up in support which gives him an option. Brooks didn't have that all the time
I think thats my point
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:23 pm

ku5tom wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 2:21 pm
His running game was good last year the main problem was the short kicking options.
x2

User avatar
Tigerdon
Member
Member
Posts: 3800
Joined: Mon 07 Apr, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Manly

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 7:28 pm

I wonder if Brooks will have players in motion around him this season. Hopefully Reynolds and some edge players are working with him. Boyd Cordner would be handy.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Post Reply