Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Snake

Re: Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Post by Snake » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:41 am

Updates and posts seem positive and no injuries is the big positive. Going to Campbelltown next week should be a decent hit out for both sides with only a couple of weeks before kick off .

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:54 am

All good by the sounds of things,I couldn't get to see any of the trial,but thanks to all who posted in the trial thread...
I reckon Ivan has plenty of work to do with some of the spots to fill,good to see the young guys having a great game...
onwards and upwards for 2018...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:55 am

My live stream to my iPad went well once the lights went back on. Thanks Forum for posting that that was the problem at 8:30!

Cowboys were asleep for most of that match and the trial mach was just that and would not get carried away too much. Next week is the better test against the sharks as to how much we have improved.

In the forwards .... considering only 1/2 the squad was in Cairns .... I was impressed with Grant, Felise, Aloiai and Mikaele. The others did their job.

In the backs ...... Brooks and Reynolds took first few positive steps however Brooks still can not find that consistency with his kicking and passing game. Most backs strung some good minutes with special mention for Marsters, Thompson and MWZ.

New kids Gamble and Sironen showed some good touches.

All in all a good 1st hit-out.... but big tests are coming in next 5-6 playing weeks.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:21 am

TIGER wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:44 am
- Cows were pretty ordinary, but i don't think they really took it too serious, probably just happy for JT and Scott to have a bit of a trot and no injuries.

- Reynolds looked way sharper than late last year.
- Brooks still can't kick, this is the number 1 thing i want to see improve. It's crucial and needs to improve 200%.
- Our D through the middle got exposed a few times when they got quick ptb, and JT ran a direct raid through there with plenty of support.

I don't know about everyone else but the live stream was pretty bad, i think i only got about 10 uninterrupted mins, the rest was constant freezes, pretty useless.
To make things worse i tried to get on here to see what's going on with the stream at the start of the game and this site had crashed, pretty frustrating when you've been waiting all day for it.

Overall we went ok, pretty hard to get a guage really given how poor NQ were, our edge D never really got tested.
Crystal clear stream throughout the match at this end.

tigerap

Post by tigerap » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 am

formerguest wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:21 am
TIGER wrote:
- Cows were pretty ordinary, but i don't think they really took it too serious, probably just happy for JT and Scott to have a bit of a trot and no injuries.

- Brooks still can't kick, this is the number 1 thing i want to see improve. It's crucial and needs to improve 200%.
- Our D through the middle got exposed a few times when they got quick ptb, and JT ran a direct raid through there with plenty of support.

I don't know about everyone else but the live stream was pretty bad, i think i only got about 10 uninterrupted mins, the rest was constant freezes, pretty useless.
To make things worse i tried to get on here to see what's going on with the stream at the start of the game and this site had crashed, pretty frustrating when you've been waiting all day for it.

Overall we went ok, pretty hard to get a guage really given how poor NQ were, our edge D never really got tested.
For a stream, the quality was surprisingly good

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:38 am

Felise, Rochow, Gamble and Thompson were much better than expected. Some of the lesser light new players really highlighted how bad some of our depth players have been in recent years.

Were a bit rusty in other departments with some average kicks & passes and the ball holder taking runners lines etc.

I hope someone fed that ground announcer to the crocs

Kul

Post by Kul » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:44 am

tigerap wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:41 pm
Our forum website needs more grunt during games.....can this be looked at.?
I've kicked off the upgrade process this morning.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:47 am

Kul wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:44 am
tigerap wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:41 pm
Our forum website needs more grunt during games.....can this be looked at.?
I've kicked off the upgrade process this morning.
Sorry, just finished notifying you in a site issue thread and then immediately saw this post.

Thanks in advance for attending to it.

Munk

Post by Munk » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:50 am

tigerap wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 am
formerguest wrote:
TIGER wrote:

Stream was shocking on my end. Id see 10 seconds of play then it would freeze for 20 seconds, then it would skip forward and repeat. Completely unwatchable. I came on here to read comments but access was even more limited. I ended up reading cows forum. They were cranky hahaha.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:51 am

Just on Martsers, they say he's dropped 10kg in last year.....looks like he's thicker if anything. Nofo looks almost too trim.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:54 am

The team will be better for the hit out.

Brooks took the line on early and looked promising and then faded out which is a real worry.

Defence in all was pretty good, considering one Cowboys try was off the back of a rubbish pass. They look to be defending better as a unit.

Agree with many that Reynolds is not the answer at 9, his service is very poor. He'll be the 6 to start the year.

Rochow, Marsters, Felise and Gamble were all very good I thought. Marsters will have to be in the starting 13 you would think.

A lot of positives, but unless the kicking game gets lot better we are going to struggle to put on points against the better teams.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:56 am

Munk wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:50 am
tigerap wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 am
formerguest wrote:
TIGER wrote:

Stream was shocking on my end. Id see 10 seconds of play then it would freeze for 20 seconds, then it would skip forward and repeat. Completely unwatchable. I came on here to read comments but access was even more limited. I ended up reading cows forum. They were cranky hahaha.
Did you watch it off a tablet? I started watching it off my tablet and had the problems you have mentioned, then I put it on my laptop and it was smooth throughout the whole cast.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:06 am

formerguest wrote:
TIGER wrote:

Stream was good for me too!

The Old Fox

Post by The Old Fox » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:08 am

Eddie wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:42 pm
Few quick observations from the trial game. Keen to here what everyone else saw from the live stream.

* The benefit of having a new side essentially was there for all to see. Everyone wanted to impress. Everyone is playing for spots. We ran there ball a lot harder then the Cowboys. We played with far more intent and energy.

* Our 2nd string pack was dominant. JJ Felise played like an animal getting over the advantage line and getting quick play the balls. Aloli was really really strong when he came on. Even Grant was getting over the advantage line and Eisentuth and even Lawrence played pretty strong.

*Cowboys were terrible. I reckon they gave away about 12 penalties, 4 or 5 when they had the ball. They struggled to compete a set in the first half.

* Brooks an Reynolds had their moments individually. Brooks running game is really dangerous. I think he gave up 3, 7 tackle sets thought so that is an ongoing concern. Reynolds looked very busy. I much prefer him at 6. He throws too many off passes too be eve a half decent hooker. Gamble looks a strong boy and scored a really nice try taking the line on. All our halves took the line on.

* Our goal kicking looks bad. Real bad.

TYSON GAMBLE????.... How do we fit this guy into the team because what he did last night was no fluke...first touch of the ball he scores a try and makes it look easy...2 plays later and 20 out from the cowboys line he runs,steps beats the first man a quick play the ball and we are over..his defence was no fluke neither..smothered a cowboy in broken play of which made him drop the ball and done the same thing minutes out that led to Nofo scoring a try..he's only blemish of which was near Cameron Smith genius was with 12 minutes to go, 12 men on the field and 14 in front, he punts the ball 60 metres down the field to give he's team mates a long walk and break and misses the sideline by inches..he doesn't need 12 months in reserve grade he already did that up there with the Broncos..if we are not careful and starve him of first grade I reckon he will move on like Blake Austin and Martin did before..I think Cleary played him for a reason last night and that's to put Brooks on notice..Cleary needs to pick the team on form and I think we finally have a coach that will do it..instead of playing favourites and sticking with the same old,same old!

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:09 am

I was very happy with the live stream once it got up and running. I had problems trying to access the forum.....

The whole game appeared to be a bit messy, but I like the looks of Thompson, Rochow & Felise too, so I guess there are a few good signs here, lets hope they can all improve in the season proper.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:12 am

Oh and we DESPERATELY need a decent goal kicker.........

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:31 am

tigeress wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:12 am
I thought Tui kicked ok. He kicked the first two conversions, the first from the sideline that was still going up at the goalposts and the touchies didn’t move much so it didn’t miss by a lot. The second was from right in front. He also successfully kicked the last conversion at an angle.

I think it was Milne who tried the other kicks and they missed by miles. Very poor.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:38 am

cqtiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:31 am
tigeress wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:12 am
I thought Tui kicked ok. He kicked the first two conversions, the first from the sideline that was still going up at the goalposts and the touchies didn’t move much so it didn’t miss by a lot. The second was from right in front. He also successfully kicked the last conversion at an angle.

I think it was Milne who tried the other kicks and they missed by miles. Very poor.
Marsters was the other kicker. I think Tui will be our goalkicker.