Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

gallagher

Re: Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Post by gallagher » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:58 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:51 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:47 pm
Who in three quarters impressed? A few have wrapped Marsters, how did the others go?
Thompson and MWZ were really good. The last wing spot could very well be between them.
Thompsons name keeps popping up. Where did Kev play?

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:01 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:58 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Who in three quarters impressed? A few have wrapped Marsters, how did the others go?
Thompson and MWZ were really good. The last wing spot could very well be between them.
Centre..had some good charges was put into the clear by Brooks and then threw a forward pass at one stage..

I think we will see him and MWZ start RD 1..

Thompson was very good tho..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks guys.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:16 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:38 pm
FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:52 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:21 pm
Any chance of fullback Freddy K.

I went into the pre season thinking that might be his best chance to find an early spot. Do you think he could handle it.

We'd look a while other animal with a quality fullback and Tui in the centres.
Yes, he could play full-back but let me ask why? We have a genuine 5/8 who can become our primary play-maker. Let's face it - we need a play-maker. We have some big players who could play off him and really create some damage. So why not fill that void and use player strength rather than tinker with the team.

Not so much my opinion but more what Cleary might do. He won't change up Brooks and Reynolds, not yet. He will give them time.

Not sure he is as sold on Tui at fullback as the halves.
Agree about Brooks/ Reynolds and Gamble earning his place and so it should be. But, soon enough, Gamble will give Ivan a selection headache. From my perspective the pieces will fall into place and for the better.

I've said my peace so I'll just watch and wait with anticipation.

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:24 pm

We beat them in fitness, attitude and defence. Something i haven't seen for a few years.

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:27 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:57 pm
Nelson wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:53 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:50 pm
Was watching Gamble’s play profile video. Reminds me a lot of Moses. There is a bit of arrogance about him. Anyway, he needs to earn it by winning us some ISP games before coming into NRL calculations.
Didn't see the arrogance myself, seemed to know his place in the world.
Some people just come off that way, even if they aren’t. I always used to think Steve Smith came across very smug even though he wasn’t.
I saw him as having confidence, not so much an arrogance. I suppose it's a fine line between them.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:30 pm

Mac tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:24 pm
We beat them in fitness, attitude and defence. Something i haven't seen for a few years.
music to my ears..

hope I keep reading this all year

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:31 pm

tigerap wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:41 pm
Our forum website needs more grunt during games.....can this be looked at.?
I suppose that if we all kicked in some cash to Kul for upgrades that might help.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:43 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:01 pm
gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:58 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Centre..had some good charges was put into the clear by Brooks and then threw a forward pass at one stage..

I think we will see him and MWZ start RD 1..

Thompson was very good tho..
If Kev starts over Marsters or Milne in the centres we will have problems.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:45 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:24 pm
TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:54 pm
Brooks needs to stop playing in his high heels....it makes kicking so much harder...might even run better...who knows...

:roll
Maybe he should borrow your boots that you like to slip in...
No GEO,they werent mine...I borrowed them from Happy... :o
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:55 pm

this just me thinking out loud, i wish we had not signed Reynolds, thought tui was playing well at 5/8 last year and we have a few who can slot into fullback. so if tui fails at fullback does Ivan drop josh and play tui or does he just get pumped from spot to spot. his running game at 5/8 is so much better than josh's.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 3:28 pm

I only got to watch the 2nd half last night but was very impressed with our forward pack .
Our weekness will be in the halves and hooker roles .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 3:54 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:55 pm
this just me thinking out loud, i wish we had not signed Reynolds, thought tui was playing well at 5/8 last year and we have a few who can slot into fullback. so if tui fails at fullback does Ivan drop josh and play tui or does he just get pumped from spot to spot. his running game at 5/8 is so much better than josh's.
Tui looked much better at fullback then he did at 6. He's a runner, not a half.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 3:57 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:55 pm
If Tui fails he will not return he looks the goods at fullback though. Tui is not a 5/8 or NRL standard Reynolds is the last origin winning 5/8 he can play don’t listen to the nonsense about his passion being all he has he’s a very good running 5/8.

Our issue is Hooker, Halfback, Edge Backrow and goal kicker. If Liddle and Brooks don’t fire we will be bottom 4. Our hookers are average and Brooks has to to improve his kicking game.

If somehow Cleary can manufacture a 80% Goal Kicker, Liddle plays all year at a high level and McQueen and Lawrence wins back the clock We will be competitive. Chances of that happening are why we are spoon favourites.

The Old Fox

Post by The Old Fox » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 4:46 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:11 am
On Tyson Gamble - I must say that I am a Tyson Gamble fan. I watched his development for Redcliffe last season and all up here in Queensland were impressed with his attitude, skill and temperament. He is a guinine 5/8 who takes the ball to the straight and challenges defenders and a good support player. He has beautiful soft hands like many good halves and can put players through a gap with precision. He has a good kicking game - both short and long and he was Redcliffe's goal kicker last year. In fact, I would say that he is our only genuine goal kicker.

Gamble is going to present Ivan with one big selection headache - I can guarantee you that. Last year he was playing in reggies for Redcliffe in the Queensland Cup and he replaced an injured player after only a few rounds and never looked back. Ivan picked him quickly only after a few games in the Queensland Cup.

Last night he essentially played on the short side. If Ivan gives him more space I can say that he will generate holes for our outside backs and he has the ability to turn the ball inside to someone like Rochow, JJ or Sue on a diagonal run. Ivan must use him and have some of our big players run off him.

I am going to stick my neck out here and suggest that our spine will look very different by midway into the season - Tui / Gamble / Benji and Reynolds at hooker. And that spine will end up taking us into the top eight and from there it will be the Benji show again. Gamble will also be a goalkicker going into the finals.
I agree, the other thing last night was he's covering smother defence of which forced two drop balls 1 of them leading to a try..him and renyolds offer rock solid defence something we have never had in the halves before. Brooks does miss a tackle here and there..his only blemish was a 60 metre punt to the sideline that missed by inches.. what we don't want to see is him moving on like Austin and Martin because we think Brooks is our future. We let Blake Austin go building a future around Moses and we know what happened there. We just may have to face it.. Brooks alias Peter Pan may never grow up to be the man? 3 kicks dead again.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 4:54 pm

Gamble was good last night, but keep in mind that he was basically against a Qld cup/U20's side. All the cowboys big guns had been taken off when he came on. At that point, it was basically an ISP trial.

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:16 pm

Sounds like a few pushing for spots had a decent crack. Good to hear.
Makes me excited for round 1

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:29 pm

Someone on the cows forum uploaded the full match if you want to watch it
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.