Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Geo.

Re: Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Post by Geo. » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:11 pm

jrtiger wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:07 pm
Anyone who thinks that Brooks short kicking game was bad needs to realise that it was hindered by 6 metre ingoals. The commentator says it midway through the first half. Wait until there's actually reasonably sized ingoals before we truly have an indication on his kicking game.
I'm shocked he was the only half to get a repeat set in the entire game..fluke I'd say..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:39 pm

Highlights courtesy of WestsTigers official website

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... ighlights/

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:50 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:11 pm
jrtiger wrote:
Anyone who thinks that Brooks short kicking game was bad needs to realise that it was hindered by 6 metre ingoals. The commentator says it midway through the first half. Wait until there's actually reasonably sized ingoals before we truly have an indication on his kicking game.
I'm shocked he was the only half to get a repeat set in the entire game..fluke I'd say..
I was at the game and watched on tv that most of his kicks would have gone dead in goal at any ground
In practice before the game Gamble was pinpoint with his bombs landing just before the try line but no pressure on him
He will definitely be one to watch this season

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
100% fluke. Until he's creating 3 tries, a game scoring 3 of his own, causing 3 repeat sets, 2 40/20s, 0 missed tackles and giving his jerseys away at half time and full time he hasn't been good enough :roll:

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:14 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:11 pm
king sirro wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 3:54 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:55 pm
this just me thinking out loud, i wish we had not signed Reynolds, thought tui was playing well at 5/8 last year and we have a few who can slot into fullback. so if tui fails at fullback does Ivan drop josh and play tui or does he just get pumped from spot to spot. his running game at 5/8 is so much better than josh's.
Tui looked much better at fullback then he did at 6. He's a runner, not a half.
I have to agree that Tui is better at the back than at 5/8. Also, I think those critising Reynolds and questioning his signing are underestimating just what he brings to the team as a whole. Mark my words, he will be a huge asset to us as the season rolls on.
X2

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:26 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 6:39 pm
Highlights courtesy of WestsTigers official website

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... ighlights/
Cheers!
in Ivan we distrust

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:27 pm

jrtiger wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:04 pm
Geo. wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
100% fluke. Until he's creating 3 tries, a game scoring 3 of his own, causing 3 repeat sets, 2 40/20s, 0 missed tackles and giving his jerseys away at half time and full time he hasn't been good enough :roll:
Brooks has not been good enough he has now played 80+ games. His general game was much better actually resembled an NRL halfback. His short kicking game is woeful and was on the weekend. He won’t get the benefit of any doubt until he performs for an entire season. His running game is first class but won’t save him as a halfback. I think this is the season he stands up personally but to date he wouldn’t get an NRL game with any top 8 side.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:36 pm

TYGA wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:27 pm
jrtiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
Brooks has not been good enough he has now played 80+ games. His general game was much better actually resembled an NRL halfback. His short kicking game is woeful and was on the weekend. He won’t get the benefit of any doubt until he performs for an entire season. His running game is first class but won’t save him as a halfback. I think this is the season he stands up personally but to date he wouldn’t get an NRL game with any top 8 side.
I agree, this year is the year of no excuses, but it's also the first year that the stars have aligned for him. I don't think it'll be a coincidence IF he pulls it all together this year, simply due to what's happened around him. But I do believe that plenty of people have been hard on him, he tends to do very good things very often, it's just that he doesn't string together 80 minute performances, just like every player in the squad last season bar Tedesco. Time will only tell.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:17 am

jrtiger wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:36 pm
TYGA wrote:
jrtiger wrote:
Geo. wrote:

I agree, this year is the year of no excuses, but it's also the first year that the stars have aligned for him. I don't think it'll be a coincidence IF he pulls it all together this year, simply due to what's happened around him. But I do believe that plenty of people have been hard on him, he tends to do very good things very often, it's just that he doesn't string together 80 minute performances, just like every player in the squad last season bar Tedesco. Time will only tell.
Early days yet, and I know the team needs to gel, but I didn't think Brooks played too well.
A few decent runs but still a terrible kicking game and some atrocious passing.
Gamble looks like he might put more of a blowtorch on him than Marshall.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 7:25 am

cktiger wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:17 am
jrtiger wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 9:36 pm
TYGA wrote:
jrtiger wrote:

Early days yet, and I know the team needs to gel, but I didn't think Brooks played too well.
A few decent runs but still a terrible kicking game and some atrocious passing.
Gamble looks like he might put more of a blowtorch on him than Marshall.
If Gamble does get the number 7 jumper, How long do you think think it will be before people are jumping up and down saying "why is Cleary playing two 5/8's and we don't have a halfback"?
in Ivan we distrust

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 8:50 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 7:25 am

If Gamble does get the number 7 jumper, How long do you think think it will be before people are jumping up and down saying "why is Cleary playing two 5/8's and we don't have a halfback"?
On the other hand, how long will it take for people to be jumping up and down if Brooks continues playing poorly?
Like nearly everyone else I've been hoping (for a long time)that Brooks gets it all together and becomes a good all round half.
Gamble will only get the nod if he's playing great and Brooks isn't.
It will need to be deserved... unless Brooks implodes and hands it too him on a platter.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:03 pm

Watching the replay yesterday Lolohea played a lot of minutes for a trial. Obviously fitness is a bit of an issue and they are trying to get him ready for 80.

The other thing of note was his style of play. Looked more like Brett Hodgson than James Tedesco.

Looking forward to seeing him with the starting forward pack. He was sweating on the forwards for offloads, shadowing all their runs
Its an opinion!

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:48 pm

Tedesco is a once in a generation player, Im still sad he left.

Tui can be what ever he chooses to be. Im really hoping he does something consistent with the odd speck of brilliant.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 1:21 pm

Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:48 pm
Tedesco is a once in a generation player, Im still sad he left.

Tui can be what ever he chooses to be. Im really hoping he does something consistent with the odd speck of brilliant.
Yeh thats the hope i think we need to take. Consistent with the odd brilliance. If Tui csn do that we will be well placed.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS