FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:50 am

851 wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:45 am
Gamble was good, could he play halfback, if so that would solve a big problem
No, he is not a half. He is a genuine 5/8. Let me also say this about Gamble. The last player who I saw with soft hands like Gamble was Lokyer. Don't get me wrong - he is no Lockyer but he does have those beautiful 5/8 hands.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:04 pm

cheers Fred
defense structures can be taught...im looking forward to seeing him next week

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:17 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:43 am
The Patriot wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:27 am
FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:22 am
How's his defence?

To be honest I don't know how he will perform defensively in the NRL. The Queensland and NSW Cups do not really have defensive systems like the NRL - they are more like undisciplined patterns. It will be step up for him to play to an NRL defensive system but from what I have seen, and the respect from the Redcliffe coaching staff had for him last year, I think he will be okay. He was good at scrambling. But playing to a system I await.
I guess that's the adjustment that will take the longest. I'd back him to handle it though.
I agree, I think that he will handle it. The way he stepped up to the plate last year indicted that he was willing to listen. He has incredible drive and is hungry for success. He will follow Ivan's defensive instructions to the letter. At half time last night, he stepped aside from a few players who were chatting away, found a ball and focused on the task. Again he has a real drive and I hope that his hunger will be infectious.
Good to hear. That's exactly the mentality ive seen in him. That and he makes plays. It's natural either you've got it or you don't thing.

He looks confused and up for the challenge.
Last edited by The Patriot on Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Its an opinion!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:21 pm

Any chance of fullback Freddy K.

I went into the pre season thinking that might be his best chance to find an early spot. Do you think he could handle it.

We'd look a while other animal with a quality fullback and Tui in the centres.
Its an opinion!

yeti

Post by yeti » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:26 pm

Gamble was good for the time he was on the field. Decent kick on him.
Like others have posted, Marsters was strong and Felise was the pick of the forwards.
Lawrence was very strong in defence and ran some good lines.
I'm still worried about our half and 5/8. Need to give them some time to gel.
Godinet was the pick of the 9s. Tui will be very good at the back.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:27 pm

Munk wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:20 am
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:56 am
Munk wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:50 am
tigerap wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:30 am

For a stream, the quality was surprisingly good
Stream was shocking on my end. Id see 10 seconds of play then it would freeze for 20 seconds, then it would skip forward and repeat. Completely unwatchable. I came on here to read comments but access was even more limited. I ended up reading cows forum. They were cranky hahaha.
Did you watch it off a tablet? I started watching it off my tablet and had the problems you have mentioned, then I put it on my laptop and it was smooth throughout the whole cast.
Yes tablet. Ill try laptop next time. Thanks.
Thought that you would have gone to a WT game in your town.

Seantice

Post by Seantice » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:46 pm

I didnt watch the whole game but did notice a few things. Most of it has been said about felise, Marsters etc.

2 things annoyed me though.

Brooks grubber through the line that went at least ten metres dead. I mean seriously how hard is it to put a decenyly weighted grubber in?Even though he did a decent grubber just after that, we will not get in the top 8 with our short kicking game.

Dummy half passing. Goidnet? (cant spell) passed the ball that flat that at least 4-5 forward passes should of been called. Not just him. Last year when brooks called for the ball hed recieve it very flat which got called forward at least once a game. I dont blame the hooker totally. Its the reciever who should catch it a half metre back. There were so many blatant forward passes last night by our team it wasnt funny. Hope we sought it out before round 1.

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:52 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:21 pm

I went into the pre season thinking that might be his best chance to find an early spot. Do you think he could handle it.

Yes, he could play full-back but let me ask why? We have a genuine 5/8 who can become our primary play-maker. Let's face it - we need a play-maker. We have some big players who could play off him and really create some damage. So why not fill that void and use player strength rather than tinker with the team.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:54 pm

Brooks needs to stop playing in his high heels....it makes kicking so much harder...might even run better...who knows...

:roll
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:24 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:54 pm
Brooks needs to stop playing in his high heels....it makes kicking so much harder...might even run better...who knows...

:roll
Maybe he should borrow your boots that you like to slip in...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:38 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:52 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Yes, he could play full-back but let me ask why? We have a genuine 5/8 who can become our primary play-maker. Let's face it - we need a play-maker. We have some big players who could play off him and really create some damage. So why not fill that void and use player strength rather than tinker with the team.

Not so much my opinion but more what Cleary might do. He won't change up Brooks and Reynolds, not yet. He will give them time.

Not sure he is as sold on Tui at fullback as the halves.
Its an opinion!

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:44 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 12:52 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Can't see why you would weaken a spine position to play a 5/8 at FB just to find him a spot.

Same as I can't see why you would move a 750k 5/8 to DH (who is not suited to the position) to play an NRL novice in that position.

Gamble played well last night, but it was a trial against very ordinary opposition. I would like to see more of Gamble in pressure situations before changing a spine to accommodate him.

He did not handle the pressure situation in the finals too well last year in Queensland, maybe that is his weak spot - pressure, not every one can handle it. There have been some very talented players fail over the years because of it.

I am not saying he can't but I would like a few more games to review his game before changing things around.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:47 pm

Who in three quarters impressed? A few have wrapped Marsters, how did the others go?

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:50 pm

Was watching Gamble’s play profile video. Reminds me a lot of Moses. There is a bit of arrogance about him. Anyway, he needs to earn it by winning us some ISP games before coming into NRL calculations.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:51 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:47 pm
Who in three quarters impressed? A few have wrapped Marsters, how did the others go?
Thompson and MWZ were really good. The last wing spot could very well be between them.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:53 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:50 pm
Was watching Gamble’s play profile video. Reminds me a lot of Moses. There is a bit of arrogance about him. Anyway, he needs to earn it by winning us some ISP games before coming into NRL calculations.
Didn't see the arrogance myself, seemed to know his place in the world.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:57 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:53 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:50 pm
Didn't see the arrogance myself, seemed to know his place in the world.
Some people just come off that way, even if they aren’t. I always used to think Steve Smith came across very smug even though he wasn’t.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:57 pm

gallagher wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 1:47 pm

I think all played well. Marsters and Nofo would be locked in i think. Milne was strong and should grab the other centre spot. Fonua misses put due to ill discipline and lack of fitness. He could however be a weapon later in the year once fit. That leaves on wing spot and it could go to any of the remaining 3. Kev, Thompson and MWZ were all good.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS