Seen enough

Magpie Magic

Re: Seen enough

Post by Magpie Magic » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:08 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 10:41 pm
The sharks were almost full strength and scored a fluke try from a rebound. Yes we were ordinary but they were very slick. I can’t remember a handling error in their first half. We were nowhere near full strength.
Positives:
- McQueen was very involved in Reggie’s doing slot of work off the ball.
- Aloiai was very solid
- Fonua will be good for us
- Thompson will push Tui
- Gamble is a player we need to keep
- we continued to fight
- Lawrence was in everything

Now I’ve never said a bad word about Brooks but our 5th tackle options continue to be of real concern. I’m not sure what the answer is as it is increasingly looking like Brooks kicking game falters under pressure and he is not able to come up with a way around this problem.

Overall tonight was disappointing but way to early to be tossing the toys out of the cot.
I agree.
Seemed sharks at full strength and mentally ready while we were trying things and seemed like we were treating it as a trial..... and we only lost 24 to 12 after a win last week.
Reckon Cleary will depend on high intensity once season starts as part of the "game plan".
Tonight wasn't the time for it.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:19 pm

Magpie Magic wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:08 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
The sharks were almost full strength and scored a fluke try from a rebound. Yes we were ordinary but they were very slick. I can’t remember a handling error in their first half. We were nowhere near full strength.
Positives:
- Aloiai was very solid
- Thompson will push Tui
- we continued to fight

Now I’ve never said a bad word about Brooks but our 5th tackle options continue to be of real concern. I’m not sure what the answer is as it is increasingly looking like Brooks kicking game falters under pressure and he is not able to come up with a way around this problem.

Overall tonight was disappointing but way to early to be tossing the toys out of the cot.
I agree.
Seemed sharks at full strength and mentally ready while we were trying things and seemed like we were treating it as a trial..... and we only lost 24 to 12 after a win last week.
Reckon Cleary will depend on high intensity once season starts as part of the "game plan".
Tonight wasn't the time for it.
They scored a try off a ricochet and we were unlucky not to be awarded one off the back of a good Chee-Kam offload and some good work by Brooks. If a few 50/50s went our way it might have been different... We still have Twal, Taylor and Benji to come back so we weren't anywhere near full-strength. Does anybody know how Tui, Mcqueen, Gamble and Felise all went in ISP?

Milky

Post by Milky » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:32 pm

If anyone thinks a spine of Thompson/Reynolds/Brooks/Mcilwrick will get us further than 13th has rocks in their head.

Love to be proved wrong

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:40 pm

white wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 7:41 pm
Only a trial but we are ordinary . We have no points in us and surely will struggle to score points with Brooks and Reynolds as our halves. We have the worst spine in the nrl. Spoon specials
I think that you need to call Lifeline 131114.

Tigers4ever

Post by Tigers4ever » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:33 am

wt00 wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 9:27 pm
Looks like the bus has been derailed judging by the title of the thread...
Ivan will get them back on the bus, just wait and see.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:25 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Positives:
- Aloiai was very solid
- Thompson will push Tui
- we continued to fight

Are you kidding?
McQueen hid from contact and obviously needs time to build confidence on returning from injury.
Fonua is not fit and should be nowhere near first grade early in the year.
Nofa struggles in defence. I had blamed inside defenders in the past, but tonight it was him. He needs to improve or play lower grades.
Aloiai should be the first picked. Lawrence was good. Grant has been the best front rower for the last 2 weeks.
Our halves were poor. Thompson was solid, but nothing more. If that is the first choice fullback, then it could ve long year.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:58 am

Sorry but I think we are in for a long year.

I know its a trial.

I tippen dus to run 2nd last before tonight and and I'm just really worried our spine is poor and we have no pace.

All the effort int he world wont make for a lack of quality and strike power most weeks.

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:26 am

I honestly think it wasn't too bad of a trial. Sharks were at full strength for much of that first half and had a little luck. Tonight showed that our edge defence is still not up to standard, and is hopefully fixed before R1.

My biggest criticism of the Reynolds & Brooks is that they were turning it back inside far too often and wasting tackles in key positions on the field when they needed to be trying to put the defence on the back foot. Both looked dangerous when playing ad-lib and attacking the line with determination.

Chee-Kam and Aloiai both really impressed me, both should be in the 17 somewhere. Packer & Matulino honestly looked like they were cruising, they'll step it up come R1. Grant better not be anywhere near that side, honestly. Thompson will have the #1 in his locker in 2 weeks time.

Couple weeks to go and I still believe we can beat the Roosters in Round 1. Just gotta go back and work on a couple things and we'll come good, don't evacuate the bus just yet eh

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:12 am

After 2 trials and blending in many new faces i wasnt expecting to be slashing my wrists or jumping for joy and i am doing neither.
The trials showed us exactly what we should have predicted that there is more work to be done to be consistently good.Some of our new buys have been better than expected ( e.g thompson) some worse(e.g Fonua) but the season is 24 games long and i have no doubt that the performances will improve as the year goes by.
My main concern atm would be hooker/halves and lack of pace in the backline.The lack of pace in the backline is the one area where i believe that we dont have the personnel currently to fix the problem.
We were never going to have immediate dividends this year but i am confident of a decent finish 7th - 10th is quite achievable if we play to our strengths and work on our defensive pattern

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:38 am

Never been able to really put in trials find it mentally hard with nothing to play for. I've always done enough but don't push hard especially off the ball. Bush footy.
Round 3 before you can start tapping the knife handle

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:39 am

Sounds like last night was a reality check - no speed and arguably the worst spine in the comp. Not even the great Ivan can fix that.
The problem with recruiting alot of players at once is if they dont work out you are stuck with them or you pay to have them play somewhere else.
Only a trial but even the positive critics sound nervous.

The Old Fox

Post by The Old Fox » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

The Sharks fielded a strong team that came to break heads unlike the Tigers who are still sorting out positions that type of result would be expected ..only a fool would be upset with the loss last night..No Twai, E.T or Mc queen or Marshall ..perhaps 2 or 3 ISP players to step up..centres,fullback wingers combination unsorted I don't understand why people are living and dying on 1 result.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:59 am

The Old Fox wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:39 am
The Sharks fielded a strong team that came to break heads unlike the Tigers who are still sorting out positions that type of result would be expected ..only a fool would be upset with the loss last night..No Twai, E.T or Mc queen or Marshall ..perhaps 2 or 3 ISP players to step up..centres,fullback wingers combination unsorted I don't understand why people are living and dying on 1 result.
Agree with what you are saying - the season hasn't started, and people are slashing their wrists over a trial.

I am sure Ivan has a much clearer picture after the two trials and will have a better picture again after the first couple of rounds. It takes time to build confidence, combinations, trust etc. I am sure we will get there but it will not be in Round 1.

The Old Fox

Post by The Old Fox » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:35 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:59 am
The Old Fox wrote:
Agree with what you are saying - the season hasn't started, and people are slashing their wrists over a trial.

I am sure Ivan has a much clearer picture after the two trials and will have a better picture again after the first couple of rounds. It takes time to build confidence, combinations, trust etc. I am sure we will get there but it will not be in Round 1.
That's right,not to mention the Sharks will probably be a top 4 team half of their backline have played state of origin the only one missing was Gallen....we weren't going to steamroll them like the Cowboys under strength figuring out key positions and combinations ..forget to mention Liddle, who will probably be the resident hooker when back on deck and fit.

Sco77y

Post by Sco77y » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:38 am

Disappointing performance, looked quite disjointed and unpolished, but you’d expect that with so many new signings. And it is only a trial, hopefully not a true reflection of what we’re capable of. There has been years where our trials looked promising, but then we totally bombed the season proper.. So not sure how much you can really take from them in terms of that.

It didn’t look like the Sharks won in a canter though, fielded close to their best side and played like it was a finals series!

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:38 am

The Old Fox wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:35 am
Russell wrote:
The Old Fox wrote:

That's right,not to mention the Sharks will probably be a top 4 team half of their backline have played state of origin the only one missing was Gallen....we weren't going to steamroll them like the Cowboys under strength figuring out key positions and combinations ..forget to mention Liddle, who will probably be the resident hooker when back on deck and fit.
Sharks will miss the 8.

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:43 am

We are obviously lacking combinations with an overhauled team, no real service or spark out or dummy half and a halfback that needs to learn how to play both sides of the field again instead of just camping on one side. Added to our halfback playing both sides we have our 5/8 then trying to learn how to work in with the halfback in attack as well.

None of these are reasons for us to get worked up and think our season is over and personally I don’t think we should be surprised at all with what we saw.

The only part I’m really concerned with is our dummy half service but hopefully Liddle can get that back on track. I’m like everyone and was hoping (maybe dreaming) that our team would start the season firing but I think taking a deep breath and trusting the natural development is important and as they start to gel we will start to see things fall into place.

Mac tiger

Post by Mac tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:25 am

The Old Fox wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:35 am
Russell wrote:
The Old Fox wrote:

Sharks were terrific last night, we matched them in the forwards but their backline made the difference - slick, fast and powerful. It wasn't a bad result for us IMO - most of Sharks tries were off our mistakes, one lucky ricochet and we had one disallowed. The main thing the Sharks did was give away a lot of penalties whenever we had a roll on or we were in their 20. They backed there defence and waited for us to make a mistake. It was bad for the game and didn't allow us to build much of a rhythm.