The good, the decent and the bad

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20136
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: The good, the decent and the bad

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:27 am

The 50m run by Thompson near the end cemented his round 1 spot. Think he was our best. Even saved a try by recovering that charge down. Rochow was also very good, and has earnt a spot in the 17 imo.

As for the ugly. Brooks, apart from the try he set up, his kicking game was awful. Reynolds did some good things, but threw a lot of stray passes. Fonua looked wiped after only 5 minutes, so he could be a while away.


formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3537
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:34 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sat 24 Feb, 2018 11:37 pm
While he was no world beater last season, I thought he would improve at least to some degree with a full off season hehind him, does he have much weight on.?
I think that I remember a WT tweet or similar shoeing Tui as the final member to re-join training post World Cup and make it a full squad, so he would have done the least amount of conditioning. He showed enough with us last year to deserve a spot and whilst I am happy enough with him at five-eight, still think that he should be at the back. We need his creativity in the side.

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:36 am

formerguest wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:34 am
I think that I remember a WT tweet or similar shoeing Tui as the final member to re-join training post World Cup and make it a full squad, so he would have done the least amount of conditioning. He showed enough with us last year to deserve a spot and whilst I am happy enough with him at five-eight, still think that he should be at the back. We need his creativity in the side.
Agreed, and feel Ivan needs to make a call on either Tui at Fullback, or Benji on the Bench without a run for Round 1.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 5682
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:09 am

I only saw about 3/4 of the game. But from what I saw, the only one of our new players who looked like they have anything was Thompson. He looked good.
Actually none of the others looked to be a step up on what we already had.
Matulino was about effective as he’s been in the last two seasons which is ordinary.
Packer will have to improve a hell of a lot to be any help.
Players like Eisenhuth, Twal , Marsters etc all showed last year that they will be a big part of the team this year.
Someone said here somewhere that MCQUeen was inneffective in Reggie’s.

Did anyone really expect any different, the comments from Titans players up here , indicated that he will not get back to what he was a few yrs ago.

The feeling was that they were relieved that he went.
Not his fault, his injury was terrible, but WHY did we take the chance on a really bad bet.

I know it’s “just a trial”, but these guys were playing for positions,
Godinet didn’t do his chances any harm, and he might be value for us.

Geez I hope this display was a one off,, but I’m afraid it won’t be

Nelson
Member
Member
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat 31 Oct, 2015 11:17 am

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:46 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:12 am
For too long we have been praising players on their effort and performance within the Wests Tigers team. However, this will mean little if our players are not better than their opposites in the competition. Rating a players 'effort' doesnt mean they completed the function of their roles at a high standard within the NRL. I didnt think anyone screamed out as being good compared to their opposites within the competition and this will become a strong contributing factor to the outcome of our season.

I felt Thompson looked the best out their tonight, but dont think he was brilliant as a Fullback. The same goes for Rowdy - Committed, Busy, but was it a performance which will see him as one of the better edge forwards in the NRL. I doubt it.

And then you have Godinet. Looked excited, busy, displayed huge effort, but his service from Dummy Half was poor. I spotted him ignoring his halves on 3 occasions and he isnt good enough as a player to make those calls. Back to State Cup for him, and he can take Fonua with him.

From a Round 1 perspective, I still couldnt name a 1-17 and I feel alot will evolve around where Ivan plays Taylor & Aloiai. Josh was also good tonight and displayed some tough defence. After watching the first half, I think Aloiai must be positioned on the Right Edge to help Marsters manage Reynolds & Nofoaluma. Tough on Rochow, but we need more conversing out there or opposition coaches will be directing too much traffic there again much like in 2017.

Finally, alot of fans have been talking up Packer & Matulino. We will need to be patient with these 2 for the opening weeks until they get some game time in their lungs. I'm sure they will improve, but neither are ready for Round 1.
Taylor gives pretty good service at hooker, we should probably have him playing the majority of the minutes there in the early rounds given the other available options. I know it was a limited sample time but in the World Cup ET was giving good early ball out in front of his halves. NZ looked their best when he was there. Lock and 2nd row are adequately covered by Aloiai, Eisenhuth, Lawrence, Rochow etc.

Matulino will be fine as long as his knee is fine.


iofthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 7:18 pm

Post by iofthetigers » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:50 am

Moto needs to change wings, he always races in & tries to make the tackle with his right shoulder by moving him to the other side at least he will keep the line square which is where Thompson was strong last week & why he should be on the right wing. There was no attack so LoLo needs to be there or throw the dice & sign Quade Cooper. With Eisenhuth & Aloiai demanding selection I wonder if Lawrence is a chance to return to the centres.

iofthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Fri 21 Oct, 2011 7:18 pm

Post by iofthetigers » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:51 am

Should have been Nofoaluma
Last edited by iofthetigers on Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:52 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:12 am
For too long we have been praising players on their effort and performance within the Wests Tigers team. However, this will mean little if our players are not better than their opposites in the competition. Rating a players 'effort' doesnt mean they completed the function of their roles at a high standard within the NRL. I didnt think anyone screamed out as being good compared to their opposites within the competition and this will become a strong contributing factor to the outcome of our season.

I felt Thompson looked the best out their tonight, but dont think he was brilliant as a Fullback. The same goes for Rowdy - Committed, Busy, but was it a performance which will see him as one of the better edge forwards in the NRL. I doubt it.

And then you have Godinet. Looked excited, busy, displayed huge effort, but his service from Dummy Half was poor. I spotted him ignoring his halves on 3 occasions and he isnt good enough as a player to make those calls. Back to State Cup for him, and he can take Fonua with him.

From a Round 1 perspective, I still couldnt name a 1-17 and I feel alot will evolve around where Ivan plays Taylor & Aloiai. Josh was also good tonight and displayed some tough defence. After watching the first half, I think Aloiai must be positioned on the Right Edge to help Marsters manage Reynolds & Nofoaluma. Tough on Rochow, but we need more conversing out there or opposition coaches will be directing too much traffic there again much like in 2017.

Finally, alot of fans have been talking up Packer & Matulino. We will need to be patient with these 2 for the opening weeks until they get some game time in their lungs. I'm sure they will improve, but neither are ready for Round 1.
They have to be ready.

I didnt watch the game so cant really comment. I know all the issues though. This year all i want is to be competitive with a stronger defensive system in place than previous years. We will not be a attcking force with Brooks and Reynolds in the halves. If Lolohea is struggling then Benji needs to be in the top 17 to offer up something different.

User avatar
Tiger Come Lately
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 1850
Joined: Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:52 am

Post by Tiger Come Lately » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:52 am

From the trials, which are only that, I'm not cashing in my chips just yet.


GOOD:
Our pack, there were some errors and brain explosions (like when Grant batts the ball on at the try line, why he doesn't hold it and fall over the try line i don't know?), some drop ball, but over all they will get us going forward and will really make the opposition work in defence.

DECENT:
There are players who have really put their hands up and earned positions which is great, I was of the thinking that Lolo had the FB spot but Thompson may have just snatched it - Maybe its Teddy's shadow but Thompson rates in the decent not good for my mind. Masters was great with the ball but looked confused when defending but did make some good tackles.

BAD:
Our spine is a concern, For 6 & 7 I'm not comfortable with Reynolds and Brooks - only from what i have seen there isn't anything to say they are going to break/change a game - that may evolve but maybe we need a Lolo-Brooks, Reynolds-Benji, Reynolds-Gamble, Benji-brooks or another permeation.

Our 9, Reynolds is not an option at 9, our game stalled when he was there. The other two threw some shocking passes out of dummy half, i hope Liddle is back soon or we use ET in that role on game days.

Brooks can kick but, watching him the last couple of years, he sets up for his kick way to early, the hands our low out front ready to drop the ball on the foot and the defence reads it coming and defuses it, i would like to see him change that approach or on occasions pass to a runner, create some doubt in the defenders minds.

We have no speed out wide. Thompson's break highlighted that, there was no one in support and he wasn't going to go the distance.

Fonou looks to be suited to the english league or Reserve grade. Maybe he was tired after having already played but he showed very little.

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3745
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:54 am

Yep - think we got the point of that post iofthetigers.

Rowdy would be 1 million to one to play centres ever again.

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:58 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:12 am

And then you have Godinet. Looked excited, busy, displayed huge effort, but his service from Dummy Half was poor. I spotted him ignoring his halves on 3 occasions and he isnt good enough as a player to make those calls.
What type of idiot gets a 2nd shot at first grade (3rd shot, actually) and ignores his halves? Urgh. Sounds like Iosefa mk 2.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20136
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:00 am

Russell wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 9:54 am
Yep - think we got the point of that post iofthetigers.

Rowdy would be 1 million to one to play centres ever again.
McQueen will be used in the centres before Rowdy.

User avatar
Mac tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun 21 Feb, 2016 10:27 am
Location: Glen Alpine

Post by Mac tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:12 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:27 am
The 50m run by Thompson near the end cemented his round 1 spot. Think he was our best. Even saved a try by recovering that charge down. Rochow was also very good, and has earnt a spot in the 17 imo.

As for the ugly. Brooks, apart from the try he set up, his kicking game was awful. Reynolds did some good things, but threw a lot of stray passes. Fonua looked wiped after only 5 minutes, so he could be a while away.
Did look a bit gassed, but played big minutes in ISP. Was keen on the dirty hitups - both Newtown and Sharks threw 3 players at him when he did that so wasn't really effective. Think MWZ offers more at this stage.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20136
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:14 am

Mac tiger wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:12 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:27 am
The 50m run by Thompson near the end cemented his round 1 spot. Think he was our best. Even saved a try by recovering that charge down. Rochow was also very good, and has earnt a spot in the 17 imo.

As for the ugly. Brooks, apart from the try he set up, his kicking game was awful. Reynolds did some good things, but threw a lot of stray passes. Fonua looked wiped after only 5 minutes, so he could be a while away.
Did look a bit gassed, but played big minutes in ISP. Was keen on the dirty hitups - both Newtown and Sharks threw 3 players at him when he did that so wasn't really effective. Think MWZ offers more at this stage.
In his defence, he did make a couple strong runs. One kick return he got a nice off load to Thompson, who then put Marsters into space.

AnnandaleTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri 31 Mar, 2017 9:49 am

Post by AnnandaleTiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:28 am

He played Reggie’s and then sat around for 60 min. Hard to be at your best in that circumstance

User avatar
Harvey
Member
Member
Posts: 2897
Joined: Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:01 pm
Location: Leumeah

Post by Harvey » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:56 am

The Good.
Thompson, Aloiai, Rochow, No injury concerns

The Decent
Lawrence, Kev

The Bad
Nofa - his defensive reads were as bad as ever, but he does not seem to have the same impact in his hitups.
Brooks - I can't see him lasting the season as the 1st choice half
Our attack in general. Clunky, uncreative, lack of go forward (sadly)

User avatar
Fibros
Member
Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:23 pm

Post by Fibros » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 10:59 am

9 is a real worry for me. McIlwrick and Godinet are not the answer. Benji, ET maybe Gamble or McQueen till Liddle is back.

Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5033
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:49 pm

Depressing reading this thread, was excited for 2018 these last few months until now. Sounds like we really are bog-average sadly.
Beyond belief that Lolo and Fonua are out of shape at this time of year, what the hell have our training/fitness staff been doing? Slow, fat, poorly-skilled........sounds like our boys are in for a slog in 2018. Very, very disappointing to say the least. Trial games do count for nothing but they can expose a fair bit of reality.

Post Reply