The good, the decent and the bad

Go You Good Things

Re: The good, the decent and the bad

Post by Go You Good Things » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:41 pm

Lolo doesn't look to be carrying excess weight, but somehow is out of condition.
In saying that, Mats, Packer and Malakia all look really trim in person.
Packer was gassed running out onto the field. Twice from sharks 5th tackle kicks, most of our forward pack were still offside after 2 plays.
You would have thought that Palmer would have knocked them into shape by now.
Sadly, no way in the world.

krayola

Post by krayola » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:52 pm

The expectations on here are way too high. Look at the team. There is a complete lack of talent. If it’s still not clear, compare it to Cronulla’s team with Holmes, Moylan, Dugan and Fifita. More than ever, the star of our team is the team.

We’ll give a lot of teams a shot. If they ease off we’ll make them pay. We’ll have a few surprise wins, a few really bad losses and be 50/50 in the rest to be sniffing the 8, finishing around 10-12. Which is where a club like ours should be at the moment, given our recent management and uncompetitive TPA game.
One of my sources is Pascoe

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:06 pm

if we are saying the team has a lack of talent, then why are they getting long term deals. We have very few players off contract in the next year or 2, so the side we have now will be very similar to the side we will have in 2019 & 2020

FreddyK
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by FreddyK » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:20 pm

Just watched the replay again. The thing that struck me about the first half was how Townsend dictated the attack. Very simple and effective plays and his short kicking game was outstanding. A thing of beauty.

Luke's limited short kicking game was evident. League is a very simple game and the best teams are exponents of that simplicity. Our boys look to want to introduce too much complexity. We need to remove all the superfluous elements to our game. I also ask the question: how did some of our performers in the first trial become non-performers in the second? Anyway only a trial and I guess we must wait for the team to come together: let's hope that it is sooner than later.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:22 pm

FreddyK wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:20 pm
I also ask the question: how did some of our performers in the first trial become non-performers in the second? Anyway only a trial and I guess we must wait for the team to come together: let's hope that it is sooner than later.
Better opposition means more pressure and less time. They just didn't step up. It's a spanking that they needed, let's just see how they respond now that they know what they're up against.

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:48 pm

The team was built to change the culture and work ethic at the tigers. Will we win the comp this year or next doubtful but we will have a strong culture moving forward

TSupps05

Post by TSupps05 » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:06 pm

Fellas just remember it is a TRIAL, the sharks were head an shoulders above us and were playing like they were ready for round one. Us on the other hand were experimenting with a few things. Some of you are stating that McQueen and some other people were not putting their bodies on the line, i think the boys don't want to get injured. There should be much more fight and aggression once we are playing for points, but until that happens i don't think we should be too worried yet.
Ohh Stop it Tui :master:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:09 pm

TSupps05 wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 3:06 pm
Fellas just remember it is a TRIAL, the sharks were head an shoulders above us and were playing like they were ready for round one. Us on the other hand were experimenting with a few things. Some of you are stating that McQueen and some other people were not putting their bodies on the line, i think the boys don't want to get injured. There should be much more fight and aggression once we are playing for points, but until that happens i don't think we should be too worried yet.
Injuries are assured if youre not giving 100% ...particularly if the opposition is like last nite.
Theres nowhere to hide

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:08 am

hodgo wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:48 pm
The team was built to change the culture and work ethic at the tigers. Will we win the comp this year or next doubtful but we will have a strong culture moving forward
I’d rather see us win a reasonable number of games than worry about our “culture “ is a few years time,
Culture is the most used buzzword in the game, it usually is good when a team or club is winning, other times when the team stinks, the culture stinks as well.
I’d rather worry about the wins first; everything else will follow.

I think the team this year was built on what was available, and we panicked and went for numbers , not quality
Two of our new forwards are under an injury cloud, we haven’t bought any real pace to replace the pace of Teddy.

Our main hope is the new 5/8 who isn’t on the way up in form , and
Is only a heartbeat away from a stupid act in any game,
Id rather go with most of the players we had,last year, cause there’s not much better in the new mob

I hope Ivan puts a massive rocket up a few of those overly slow imposters that we’re out there in that trial
How bad does it look for LoLo if he couldn’t make the 17 this week.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:25 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:12 am
For too long we have been praising players on their effort and performance within the Wests Tigers team. However, this will mean little if our players are not better than their opposites in the competition. Rating a players 'effort' doesnt mean they completed the function of their roles at a high standard within the NRL. I didnt think anyone screamed out as being good compared to their opposites within the competition and this will become a strong contributing factor to the outcome of our season.

I felt Thompson looked the best out their tonight, but dont think he was brilliant as a Fullback. The same goes for Rowdy - Committed, Busy, but was it a performance which will see him as one of the better edge forwards in the NRL. I doubt it.

And then you have Godinet. Looked excited, busy, displayed huge effort, but his service from Dummy Half was poor. I spotted him ignoring his halves on 3 occasions and he isnt good enough as a player to make those calls. Back to State Cup for him, and he can take Fonua with him.

From a Round 1 perspective, I still couldnt name a 1-17 and I feel alot will evolve around where Ivan plays Taylor & Aloiai. Josh was also good tonight and displayed some tough defence. After watching the first half, I think Aloiai must be positioned on the Right Edge to help Marsters manage Reynolds & Nofoaluma. Tough on Rochow, but we need more conversing out there or opposition coaches will be directing too much traffic there again much like in 2017.

Finally, alot of fans have been talking up Packer & Matulino. We will need to be patient with these 2 for the opening weeks until they get some game time in their lungs. I'm sure they will improve, but neither are ready for Round 1.
After watching L Lewis last night hope Cleary has told all our back rowers to watch the lines he runs

Amazing at his age , I really wonder how close he would of been to becoming one of the club's greatest signings in 2013

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 4:40 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:08 am
hodgo wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:48 pm
I’d rather see us win a reasonable number of games than worry about our “culture “ is a few years time,
Culture is the most used buzzword in the game, it usually is good when a team or club is winning, other times when the team stinks, the culture stinks as well.
I’d rather worry about the wins first; everything else will follow.

I think the team this year was built on what was available, and we panicked and went for numbers , not quality
Two of our new forwards are under an injury cloud, we haven’t bought any real pace to replace the pace of Teddy.

Our main hope is the new 5/8 who isn’t on the way up in form , and
Is only a heartbeat away from a stupid act in any game,
Id rather go with most of the players we had,last year, cause there’s not much better in the new mob

I hope Ivan puts a massive rocket up a few of those overly slow imposters that we’re out there in that trial
How bad does it look for LoLo if he couldn’t make the 17 this week.
We will have to agree to disagree mate.

Every team that is consistently good has solid culture. Culture isnt a buzz word its revolves around the right attitude, work ethic and mentality. There is a reason that great teams are great even when players move on etc. This is the case in nearly all professional sports.

Close to home you view Melbourne in the league hawthorn in the AFL, the all blacks. these are just a couple of clubs/teams that have a culture ingrained in hard work doing your job and understanding your role. Talent only gets you so far. The tigers have been super talented for years and have won nothing. The warriors have had a heap of talent but also have a s*** culture so they dont amount to anything.

Saying culture means nothing is really not understanding how the right culture will give you long term gain.

I cant see the tigers getting beat badly this year. we may lose, we may miss the finals but we wont have any of the s*** attitude poor training bigger then the team personalities that have torn us apart for years, nor will we lose games by 40 and look like we couldn't care.

I personally love what cleary has done and i think it will work wonders maybe not this year but it will happen. (for reference view the warriors and the panthers.)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 4:52 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:25 am
Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:12 am
For too long we have been praising players on their effort and performance within the Wests Tigers team. However, this will mean little if our players are not better than their opposites in the competition. Rating a players 'effort' doesnt mean they completed the function of their roles at a high standard within the NRL. I didnt think anyone screamed out as being good compared to their opposites within the competition and this will become a strong contributing factor to the outcome of our season.

I felt Thompson looked the best out their tonight, but dont think he was brilliant as a Fullback. The same goes for Rowdy - Committed, Busy, but was it a performance which will see him as one of the better edge forwards in the NRL. I doubt it.

And then you have Godinet. Looked excited, busy, displayed huge effort, but his service from Dummy Half was poor. I spotted him ignoring his halves on 3 occasions and he isnt good enough as a player to make those calls. Back to State Cup for him, and he can take Fonua with him.

From a Round 1 perspective, I still couldnt name a 1-17 and I feel alot will evolve around where Ivan plays Taylor & Aloiai. Josh was also good tonight and displayed some tough defence. After watching the first half, I think Aloiai must be positioned on the Right Edge to help Marsters manage Reynolds & Nofoaluma. Tough on Rochow, but we need more conversing out there or opposition coaches will be directing too much traffic there again much like in 2017.

Finally, alot of fans have been talking up Packer & Matulino. We will need to be patient with these 2 for the opening weeks until they get some game time in their lungs. I'm sure they will improve, but neither are ready for Round 1.
After watching L Lewis last night hope Cleary has told all our back rowers to watch the lines he runs

Amazing at his age , I really wonder how close he would of been to becoming one of the club's greatest signings in 2013
He certainly is a wiley customer isn't he? When he switched to backrow then started getting picked in the SOO side, I thought he was one of the smartest footballers out there. Not physically huge, not exceptionally quick, but just plays smart so often. And having to change his game from winger/centre to backrower as he aged...

Would have been a terrific signing for Tigers, and the bloke knows how to win as well.

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 5:09 pm

maybe a different halves combination- i have always liked brooks but if it aint working,change the halfback.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 5:15 pm

Luke Lewis is a bloody legend! He has been a thorn in our side for as long as I can remember. It hasn’t mattered what position he played or for what team, he has killed us every time. There are just some guys who have a blinder every time they play against the Tigers. I remember Gasnier used to, and Pearce at the rorters.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 5:35 pm

Good post Hodgo. I agree on the importance of “culture” in a club.
I know the word gets overused but to me it’s what gels the players together into a team. It’s an important ingredient that must be there to win consistently and when the pressure is really on. Without it even the best bunch of players will fall short, and with the right culture even a group of almost average guys can achieve something together that is great. Ideally it’s a blend of attitude, desire, hunger, meaning, respect, belief and effort, all existing with synchronicity in every player in the team. I think it’s contagious and it exists in some fortunate sports clubs and has usually taken years to develop. Let’s hope Ivan can develop it for the Tigers.