Post by innsaneink » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:51 pm

Corey thompson?
Thats all i got TIGER....yes, it is a worry

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:56 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:18 am
Unless something dramatic happens I'm guessing B Sironen will be #29

Mikaele or McKintyre both being looked at as well for spot 29..

Not buying this article if it was the 1st one maybe but not the last hit out before the season starts..what's next it's not the results that are important it's the process.. :roll:
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:51 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:30 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:26 am
Yossarian wrote:
Well that's disappointing, but what can ya do?
They can't all be topliners. You're basically down to guys who are borderline reserve graders if everyone was in form and fit.

Yeah I realise that, but it seems none of them are! I guess I was hoping for that 'game changer' rumour to come true before the start of the season.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:12 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:28 pm
As i said last week the Cowboys game wasn't a trial, Cleary is right that this game was a good test for us, im not sure he'd be all that pleased with how we responded to that test.

The Sharks took their foot off the peddle in the 2nd half and played their depth players.
Last year other than Teddy we never looked dangerous or looked like scoring, im seeing the same thing but worse already this season.

Where do our points come from?
Teams that lack strike weapons usually make up for it by cleaver kicking, we have neither!!
I know he gets bashed a bit on here but to me Kevie is the closest thing we have to a strike player.
Interested to hear others thoughs on where our points are going to come from.
I think Lolohea, Liddle, Marsters and Milne are where we have the most points in us. Unfortunately it looks like 3/4 of them won't be starting the season.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:13 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 1:51 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:30 am
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:26 am
Yossarian wrote:
Well that's disappointing, but what can ya do?
They can't all be topliners. You're basically down to guys who are borderline reserve graders if everyone was in form and fit.

Yeah I realise that, but it seems none of them are! I guess I was hoping for that 'game changer' rumour to come true before the start of the season.
Well why did they rush out and buy the first players that put their hands up ?
To a certain extent trials are just trials, as everyone says when the trial is crap for their team.

.However there shouldve been a heap of players who were looking for those empty team spots, last night, but they didnt look to hungry to me( with a couple of exceptions)

Theres no time to ease anyone into first grade this season, as our draw is horrific.
Unless they get some mongrel real quick, it will be bleak.

basketcase

Post by basketcase » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:34 pm

Just wondering!!
Is 5 captains going to work, Tonight Looked like plenty of effort going in. But no real cohesion.
My thought is this team needs a loud voice, particularly till they achieve familiarity. Remember the bulk of off season would be conditioning and defence.
Lets stay solid for a while these guys are going to need support

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:45 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:56 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Mikaele or McKintyre both being looked at as well for spot 29..

Not buying this article if it was the 1st one maybe but not the last hit out before the season starts..what's next it's not the results that are important it's the process.. :roll:
#TrustTheProcess

Hope we're not about to do a Philly season.........
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

LCA

Post by LCA » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 6:47 pm

I think we need to be a little bit careful here. That first half from the Sharks was way beyond what a team in their second NRL trial would usually produce. They were absolutely exceptional.

They are touted as one of the heavy hitters in the 2018 premiership stakes. But, that's not to say that, as the season progresses, they will be able to maintain that level.

Just as some on here have forecasted doom and gloom from the result last night, I think the Sharks fans (are they the most unlikeable bunch in the comp by the way....!?!) will be doing the opposite and thinking their performance last night means a successful year ahead.

Neither viewpoint is true.

We won the second half 12 - 4. Ok. Small comfort.

But, I am backing the leaders at our club to reflect and assess what last night truly showed about where we are at NOW and respond accordingly.

Those trusted with making our squad into a consistent, competitive side will use that experience to get us ready to compete. The rest of us only pretend.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:08 pm

LCA wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 6:47 pm
I think we need to be a little bit careful here. That first half from the Sharks was way beyond what a team in their second NRL trial would usually produce. They were absolutely exceptional.

They are touted as one of the heavy hitters in the 2018 premiership stakes. But, that's not to say that, as the season progresses, they will be able to maintain that level.

Just as some on here have forecasted doom and gloom from the result last night, I think the Sharks fans (are they the most unlikeable bunch in the comp by the way....!?!) will be doing the opposite and thinking their performance last night means a successful year ahead.

Neither viewpoint is true.

We won the second half 12 - 4. Ok. Small comfort.

But, I am backing the leaders at our club to reflect and assess what last night truly showed about where we are at NOW and respond accordingly.

Those trusted with making our squad into a consistent, competitive side will use that experience to get us ready to compete. The rest of us only pretend.

Having not watched most of the game, I can only go on what I have read, which included a bunch of silly penalties against us and completion perfection from the opposition. Together with their wrestle/time on the ground, it is little wonder that they dominated and racked up twenty unanswered points. Going into the game sans Taylor and then losing Eiso early, thus leaving us without our two best in that department didn't help.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:13 pm

Guile was missing last night in the opening 15min... We treated it as a Trial, the Sharks treated it with NRL intensity. As a result, we were way off the pace for virtually the whole first 40min.

Regardless if its right or wrong preparation, we MUST come out against the Roosters and play with more aggression/guile to tell opposition teams we wont be easy beats in 2018.

If we cant meet the Roosters for intensity [forget about skill/class], we may as well stay home.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:51 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 7:13 pm
Guile was missing last night in the opening 15min... We treated it as a Trial, the Sharks treated it with NRL intensity. As a result, we were way off the pace for virtually the whole first 40min.

Regardless if its right or wrong preparation, we MUST come out against the Roosters and play with more aggression/guile to tell opposition teams we wont be easy beats in 2018.

If we cant meet the Roosters for intensity [forget about skill/class], we may as well stay home.
Absolutely agree Watto,we have to be as intense and as skillful as the Roorters in the opening clash otherwise once again we will be alsorans this season...
When will our club realise and understand that we are a proffesional football club with pretty well paid proffesional rugby league players........the days of being a benevolent society for the wanna bes is long gone...this team stands up this year or we will linger in the background of the rugby league forever...our members and fanbase deserve better than hearing year in and year out that we are in a building phase...that statement has been overused to the max.....We need positive results this year....no ifs or buts...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 25 Feb, 2018 8:46 pm

Nelson wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 2:12 pm
TIGER wrote:
As i said last week the Cowboys game wasn't a trial, Cleary is right that this game was a good test for us, im not sure he'd be all that pleased with how we responded to that test.

The Sharks took their foot off the peddle in the 2nd half and played their depth players.
Last year other than Teddy we never looked dangerous or looked like scoring, im seeing the same thing but worse already this season.

Teams that lack strike weapons usually make up for it by cleaver kicking, we have neither!!
I know he gets bashed a bit on here but to me Kevie is the closest thing we have to a strike player.
I think Lolohea, Liddle, Marsters and Milne are where we have the most points in us. Unfortunately it looks like 3/4 of them won't be starting the season.
Out of that lot Tui is probably the only one who can create something and it looks like he's got some work to do, im keen to see how Milne goes but i don't consider him a strike weapon.
Marsters isn't agile or quick enough and i have big concerns over Liddle even handling NRL week in week out, i just don't see it in this kid for some reason.

snowleopard

Post by snowleopard » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:51 am

Tiger Watto wrote:

It wasn’t the first 15 mins it was the whole 40 mins and what did us in wasn’t there forwards it was their backs return the ball to over half way and building the platform. This was the plank they have build the last 2-3 years on and it has been successful for them and other clubs. Looking at our recruitment in the backs this is what we have tried to replicate but for whatever reason the people we bought are not yet delivering.

What we need is someone capable steering the team around the park and reading what is going on and trying to buy us time by either getting repeat sets or by kicking the ball over the side line to allow us time to reset and stop the opposition having 20 metres to gain speed and build momentum . Our strength this year is the forward pack, not for penetration but for defence In controlled positions. When you have not got the firepower you got to play to your strengths and build confidence. I really think if we focus on this we have a chance to reduce our points against average and therefore become competitive. What we most need is a calm and experienced head on the field who can read what is going on during the game (not after) and put us in places on the field that play to our strengths. Looking at our current roster there are 2 players that could do that right now . Marshall or Drinkwater.

As a sideline, I watched a game at SFS IN 2011-12 against the Roosters and did nothing but watch Benji. What he did every play was stand in behind the play the ball, direct play , telling players where to stand and at the same time was watching where the opposition players were lining up and when he saw an opportunity he would either call to Farah or move to the side where he saw the opportunity. Personally, I struggled to understand why Ivan would get him back but I am betting after seeing what Reynolds and Grooksare capable of delivering in terms of game management I can see why. Ivan appears to be a coach that will make certain promises to his players based on what they deliver but there would always be a proviso. Looking at this pre Seanon he has said put in in the pre season and I will keep my promise but if after training hard you can’t deliver what the team needs then I will find an alternative. Looking at what he has said specifically about Brooks this makes sense but the real fear I have with him is regardless of how much he puts in , if he hasn’t got it now then the chance of developing it now are very slim. As an employer of many people this is the hardest decision to make with people when they haven’t got the talent to do the job but put in for you and the needs of the business.

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 8:42 am

snowleopard wrote:
Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:51 am
Tiger Watto wrote:

It wasn’t the first 15 mins it was the whole 40 mins and what did us in wasn’t there forwards it was their backs return the ball to over half way and building the platform. This was the plank they have build the last 2-3 years on and it has been successful for them and other clubs. Looking at our recruitment in the backs this is what we have tried to replicate but for whatever reason the people we bought are not yet delivering.

What we need is someone capable steering the team around the park and reading what is going on and trying to buy us time by either getting repeat sets or by kicking the ball over the side line to allow us time to reset and stop the opposition having 20 metres to gain speed and build momentum . Our strength this year is the forward pack, not for penetration but for defence In controlled positions. When you have not got the firepower you got to play to your strengths and build confidence. I really think if we focus on this we have a chance to reduce our points against average and therefore become competitive. What we most need is a calm and experienced head on the field who can read what is going on during the game (not after) and put us in places on the field that play to our strengths. Looking at our current roster there are 2 players that could do that right now . Marshall or Drinkwater.

As a sideline, I watched a game at SFS IN 2011-12 against the Roosters and did nothing but watch Benji. What he did every play was stand in behind the play the ball, direct play , telling players where to stand and at the same time was watching where the opposition players were lining up and when he saw an opportunity he would either call to Farah or move to the side where he saw the opportunity. Personally, I struggled to understand why Ivan would get him back but I am betting after seeing what Reynolds and Grooksare capable of delivering in terms of game management I can see why. Ivan appears to be a coach that will make certain promises to his players based on what they deliver but there would always be a proviso. Looking at this pre Seanon he has said put in in the pre season and I will keep my promise but if after training hard you can’t deliver what the team needs then I will find an alternative. Looking at what he has said specifically about Brooks this makes sense but the real fear I have with him is regardless of how much he puts in , if he hasn’t got it now then the chance of developing it now are very slim. As an employer of many people this is the hardest decision to make with people when they haven’t got the talent to do the job but put in for you and the needs of the business.
I think what Benji was doing in 2011 game was the FB's job.

Was our FB doing that same job against the Sharks - you can't blame it all on "Grooks?"

momo&medo

Post by momo&medo » Mon 26 Feb, 2018 10:10 am

TIGER wrote:

The answer is the same place that the points came from the latter part of last year and in our first trial game. Our roster is a definite improvement on last year so logic tells me that we should improve in most aspects of the game. With the new squad it should be expected that things will not click into place immediately and we’ll do it thought through early rounds against top sides on our menu.

However at this stage pessimism is unwarranted.