Brooks

Pawsandclaws

Re: Brooks

Post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:49 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:35 pm
I think Brooks and Marshal outplayed Cronk and Cornish on the back of the forwards...
Saving one is as good as scoring one. Brooks pulling down a runaway Ferguson from behind was a good effort after Taylor was steamrolled.

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:56 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:48 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:34 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:22 pm
hobbo wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:42 pm

Brooks is rubbish in attack , Benji was good all round !
I was stoked we won !
I don't understand your issues with my posts !
I think you must be a simpleton !
You just always sound particularly negative, that's all,
Is a positive person a simpleton in your eyes?
As Cultured Bogan quoted : we don't need all these holier than thou threads . Everyone on this forum including myself wants us to win each week !
When we win we post positive comments as I did in the Benji thread .
Geo commented that we need more ( positive ) Hobbo quotes .
You came on and carried on .....

when we lose we criticise ....

Simples !
Yes. That does sound "simples!".
I'm glad you worked it out .
Enjoy the rest of your weekend !

Telltails

Post by Telltails » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:57 pm

Brooks did enough today against quality opposition so I am content with that for now.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:05 pm

hobbo wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:56 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
hobbo wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:34 pm
Tigerdon wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:22 pm

You just always sound particularly negative, that's all,
Is a positive person a simpleton in your eyes?
As Cultured Bogan quoted : we don't need all these holier than thou threads . Everyone on this forum including myself wants us to win each week !
When we win we post positive comments as I did in the Benji thread .
Geo commented that we need more ( positive ) Hobbo quotes .
You came on and carried on .....

when we lose we criticise ....

Simples !
Yes. That does sound "simples!".
I'm glad you worked it out .
Enjoy the rest of your weekend !
Thanks. I already am having a good one . The Tigers won.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:40 pm

He was patchy. Thought his kicking game was above average and should've had a try assist (Benji's only gaffe of the game). Actually applauded him for his professional foul, we were shot to pieces on the right side if he doesn't commit to that play. Combined with Benji well, but the service he received was below par and his backline didn't gel, especially Naiqama, the bloke needs the axe. Next few weeks will give us more of an idea of the role he will play this season, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:52 pm

Brooks played as well as the Roosters allowed him to. They are physically dominant across the park and so were we. One of those games where halves never shine.

Off topic but how good was Godinet early?

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:32 am

TYGA wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:52 pm
Brooks played as well as the Roosters allowed him to. They are physically dominant across the park and so were we. One of those games where halves never shine.

Off topic but how good was Godinet early?
Got things going well and whilst MM was better than in the trials, it was a slow and predictable ruck mid game.

Our halfback played as good or better than his national representative player opposite and still gets hounded by some, go figure.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:40 am

On Brooks, he was defensively solid, his kicking game was better than usual. That short kick he threaded through Teddy for Benji was well weighted, something he's struggled with, and toward the end he placed kicks to corners well.

Still plenty of improvement for him, but he was better than what we're accustomed to, so it's a step in the right direction. He will have no choice to improve now, Benji has shown his hand and Reynolds and Gamble are also there. Here's hoping he continues to improve.

His sin binning was garbage, seen plenty worse go unpunished.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 12:43 am

TIGER wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:11 pm
Cultured Bogan wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:53 pm
TIGER wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:44 pm
If Benji doesn't play we don't win that game today.
Never thought I'd hear you say that TIGER...

I agree though, his time away has seen him return a more measured player.
That makes two of us, I'd like to think that I call it like I see it, when I was ripping into Benji in the past I think even he'd admit his form was pretty poor back then.
From what I've seen of him since at the Dragons and Broncos he's a different beast now. That's why I was happy and actually looking forward to having him back
Im exactly the same. he absolutely infuriated me the last 2-3 seasons he was at the tiges, and he has come back a far more mature, team oriented player.
im also an old Benji basher but i stand by what i said because when i said it, i think it was true.
imo he has become the player he was when he played in the centres against the dragons in Brooks' debut and he and the tigers are all the better for it.

i never thought i would be happy he came back, but i was (and am) as well.

as for Brooks, im not disheartened by his game at all; its his first real go behind an insanely better pack than the team has had in the past and he actually threatened when he held the ball taking it up to the line.

i think he did well.

Joel_Caine_Fan_82

Post by Joel_Caine_Fan_82 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 1:45 am

TIGER wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:44 pm
If Benji doesn't play we don't win that game today.
if Brooks didnt save that try that lolhea was too damn slow to catch where he got sent off we wouldnt have won it even with what benji did
also maybe if benji actually stopped kicking on 3rd tackle and actually started passing the ball more to try and get masters one on one we may have won it a lot sooner

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 4:24 am

This is the first game of the year for a brand new team. He needs a bit of time and patience to get a feel for his new team mates during a game situation. Im prepared to give him until rounf 6 or 7 to show signs of improvement. His issues in attack can be fixed. Toughness and guts in defense cant be coached or fixed and he obviously has that.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 4:42 am

happy tiger wrote:
That was easily Brooks best defensive game in a WT's jersey

Really angry that we didn't see him take the line on more often , he just doesn't realize how good his running game could be
100% agree with you regarding Brooks defence Happy, that was a standout for him today. His turn and chase on Ferguson was brilliant too. Cleary has spoken about the side wanting to play more attacking football this year, but I didn't see that today. Mind you, the way we attacked in defence was excellent. Going back to Brooks though, perhaps Cleary has instructed the side to play percentage football until the match fitness and timing is up to speed, and then we'll start to see a shift in the way we play? Given Marshall controlled the play so well it was a good opportunity for Brooks to take the line on a bit more.

Just speculating on the above, but the other thing to note is that while we lack genuine speedsters, we've got some very good offloading ability and second phase play. Marsters, Chee-Kam, Lolohea all got away very good offloads...Guys like Nofo and Fonua are also adept at it but will have to bide their time for now.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:54 am

willow wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 4:42 am
happy tiger wrote:

Really angry that we didn't see him take the line on more often , he just doesn't realize how good his running game could be
100% agree with you regarding Brooks defence Happy, that was a standout for him today. His turn and chase on Ferguson was brilliant too. Cleary has spoken about the side wanting to play more attacking football this year, but I didn't see that today. Mind you, the way we attacked in defence was excellent. Going back to Brooks though, perhaps Cleary has instructed the side to play percentage football until the match fitness and timing is up to speed, and then we'll start to see a shift in the way we play? Given Marshall controlled the play so well it was a good opportunity for Brooks to take the line on a bit more.

Just speculating on the above, but the other thing to note is that while we lack genuine speedsters, we've got some very good offloading ability and second phase play. Marsters, Chee-Kam, Lolohea all got away very good offloads...Guys like Nofo and Fonua are also adept at it but will have to bide their time for now.
I was Rd 1 trained and played both trials with Reynolds as his halves partner..during trials they played more both sides ..I think it was dumbed down after Reynolds late withdrawal...Benji not playing any trials..

Brooks was telling people where to be off the ball ..talking a lot more than I've seen in the past...

He did some good things in attack some nice balls one to Rowdy in particular..didn't go for any miracle plays..found the sideline in the last 10mins one in the last 6mins turned the Rorters around..the kick for the almost TRY was accurate..

Of course that means nothing without 14 TRY assists 10 LB assists 4 TRIES..

1M dollar man Cronk seemed to go missing at the end for them...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

larrycorowa

Post by larrycorowa » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:05 am

He had a real dig. Looks like he is physically better prepared. His attack will come as he builds confidence in his game. Btw how good did Benji look? Confident and composed.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:09 am

Geo. wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 6:54 am
willow wrote:
Sun 11 Mar, 2018 4:42 am
happy tiger wrote:

I was Rd 1 trained and played both trials with Reynolds as his halves partner..during trials they played more both sides ..I think it was dumbed down after Reynolds late withdrawal...Benji not playing any trials..

Brooks was telling people where to be off the ball ..talking a lot more than I've seen in the past...

He did some good things in attack some nice balls one to Rowdy in particular..didn't go for any miracle plays..found the sideline in the last 10mins one in the last 6mins turned the Rorters around..the kick for the almost TRY was accurate..

Of course that means nothing without 14 TRY assists 10 LB assists 4 TRIES..

1M dollar man Cronk seemed to go missing at the end for them...
My point that despite losing Reynolds it gives him MORE reasons to run

Can think of three times yesterday when we had the Roosters on the back foot near their tryline when it was the perfect opportunity to run which would actually help Benji

Liked what I saw from Marshall yesterday , great to see he understands what works in his game and what doesn't and really chose some high quality percentage options

The way he controlled the game while Brooks was in the sin bin was good football

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:12 am

He was fine. Complaining for the sake of complaining if you had a problem with him. Marshall was the man though. I think the year under Bennett did him wonders.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 8:24 am

Just watched the first half again and he defended really well, kicked really well, generally through some nice passes one lovely one to Lawrence and he threw them at the line which means it was getting us forward. In the first half at least others broke down our attacking shots - Benji with a poor pass, Godinet with a poor pass,etc but it never fell apart at Brooks

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:16 am

I see brooksy game a little diff today. Firstly i am brooksys biggest detractor. Today he didnt make many mistakes imo. He is usually good for 3or 4 seven tackle sets for the opp. He usually minces a few kicks to put us under pressure. He usually misses critical tackles. And today i saw none of that. I actually think he went well i even think he made the smart play by getting 10