Wests Tigers Team V Storm

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Wests Tigers Team V Storm

Post by Doc Tiger » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 10:27 am

There's a lot of love for Aloiai out there.


hank37w
Member
Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun 20 Mar, 2016 6:23 am
Location: South West

Post by hank37w » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 11:33 am

And so there should be.
He will be a star barring injury.
Just hope we get to keep him long term.

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 11:42 am

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:48 pm
Nelson wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:22 pm
willow wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 6:36 pm
No surprises with that squad although hopefully Aloiai gets a run. I thought starting with Packer and Eiso worked well, with Matulino and Twal off the bench. I would prefer to go that way for the balance of experience but nothing seems to bother Eiso and Twal so hopefully we don't lose out with that bench rotation.

Pretty sure Chee-Kam has trained exclusively in the backrow this offseason so I can't see Ivan dropping Kev to make way for him in the centres. Hopefully Taane Milne has a red hot crack in ISP this week.

Our biggest challenge this week will be the mental challenge of being "up" for the Storm.
I also prefer the front row combinations from last week but maybe he wants us to go out there and bruise them early this week, try to put them off their game with some intimidation.
Interchange: 11 Boyd Cordner (c), 14 Dylan Napa, 15 Zane Tetevano, 17 Victor Radley - Roosters Bench Round 1

Interchange: 14 Tim Glasby, 15 Kenny Bromwich, 16 Christian Welch, 17 Sam Kasiano - Storm Bench Round 2

In Round 1, we needed to combat the effect of the Rooster's bench otherwise they might've gained a momentum up the middle, hiving more time and space for Teddy, Cronk, Mitchell etc. This could've resulted in Roosters scoring a few quick tries giving the upper hand. However, with Matulino coming on for us - I thought he played great and with lots of aggressive runs and effective tackled. https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... -the-week/

The Storm bench isn't as strong as the Roosters but they do have 4 forwards compared to our 3 + McIllwrick. The Storm will keep coming at us through the forwards this week, more so than the Roosters. If we don't stop the forwards than we are no chance with the backs that they possess. I would like to see Aloiai in for McIllwrick. McIllwrick isn't going to offer anything from the bench. If we do decide to go with a utility; Gamble would definitely be the best option.
I suspect it's going to a long, long season of people expecting Gamble to be chosen.

(no offence to Gamble or his fans. I just think Ivan might have him a little lower in the pecking order.)
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2609
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 4:22 pm
Half a dozen posts& no whinge...
Miracles can happen Ink.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22142
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:16 pm

turnstyle wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 8:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:06 pm
turnstyle wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:57 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 5:54 pm

I don’t think so. Everyone would prefer Suli over Kev, but the guy refused to train. Where as a guy like Kev obviously puts in. Why shouldn’t he be rewarded?
why don't we just rename this forum to "Weekly Blog with GnR"? :master:

you post like you are Paul Kent answering questions to all the serfs who hold his opinion in such high regard, only with far more contemptuous responses....
Hey Paul Kent’s alright. I’m just glad you didn’t compare me to that flea James Hooper, then I would have really been offended :lol:
:D thanks for taking it in good spirits GnR.
Good on you.
Its my old age. I care less these days.


TigerSJ
Member
Member
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 14 Mar, 2018 2:13 pm

If anything MM should come into the side for Godinet this week and Aloiai should take his bench spot. Taylor to dh while MM takes a break. I can't see Ivan naming Kev in the side and then dropping him out.
The more I think about it, Ivan is unlikely to change anything. He seems to show faith and belief in the guys he picks and backs them to do the job. I think that is part of his message to the squad.

User avatar
turnstyle
Member
Member
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:00 am

I'm pretty much a Kev basher - last year he drove me insane constantly coming in off his wing, this year he's just making dumb mistakes - but I agree that when a team puts in such a great performance the whole team should be rewarded (within reason of course!) worth selection the leading week.
Image

bathursttiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2609
Joined: Thu 02 Dec, 2010 5:21 pm

Post by bathursttiger » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:03 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 1:16 pm
turnstyle wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 8:29 am
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 9:06 pm
turnstyle wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:57 pm


why don't we just rename this forum to "Weekly Blog with GnR"? :master:

you post like you are Paul Kent answering questions to all the serfs who hold his opinion in such high regard, only with far more contemptuous responses....
Hey Paul Kent’s alright. I’m just glad you didn’t compare me to that flea James Hooper, then I would have really been offended :lol:
:D thanks for taking it in good spirits GnR.
Good on you.
Its my old age. I care less these days.
Hey Gunner wait until you get to my age.

supercoach
Member
Member
Posts: 7030
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 2:38 pm

Post by supercoach » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:05 am

Cleary is no fool. when you have basically 3/4 of a new team the last thing you want to do is chop and change things around to much. Getting so many new faces to gel takes time and every change you make slows the process

Seantice
Member
Member
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon 13 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Post by Seantice » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:05 am

Cant wait to get ailoia and liddle back and full fitness. I know lawrence wont be dropped but a forward pack of this would be lethal.

8.packer
9. liddle
10. matulino
11. Ailoia
12. rochow
13. ET

Cant drop rochow after last weeks performance. Thought he was our best actually. Didnt realise how big he was too.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29173
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Perugia Italy..

Post by Geo. » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:07 am

Seantice wrote:
Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:05 am
Cant wait to get ailoia and liddle back and full fitness. I know lawrence wont be dropped but a forward pack of this would be lethal.

8.packer
9. liddle
10. matulino
11. Ailoia
12. rochow
13. ET

Cant drop rochow after last weeks performance. Thought he was our best actually. Didnt realise how big he was too.

What are your thoughts on Cleary still selecting Naiqama at centre..?
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm

:righton:
marzie wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 5:32 pm
Naiqama out, mck to centre, aloiai to bench?
:righton:

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 12:28 pm

Geo. wrote:
Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:07 am
Seantice wrote:
Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:05 am
Cant wait to get ailoia and liddle back and full fitness. I know lawrence wont be dropped but a forward pack of this would be lethal.

8.packer
9. liddle
10. matulino
11. Ailoia
12. rochow
13. ET

Cant drop rochow after last weeks performance. Thought he was our best actually. Didnt realise how big he was too.

What are your thoughts on Cleary still selecting Naiqama at centre..?
:bash

User avatar
avocadoontoast
Member
Member
Posts: 1236
Joined: Fri 11 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Location: Parts Unknown

Post by avocadoontoast » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 1:12 pm

Seantice wrote:
Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:05 am
Cant wait to get ailoia and liddle back and full fitness. I know lawrence wont be dropped but a forward pack of this would be lethal.

8.packer
9. liddle
10. matulino
11. Ailoia
12. rochow
13. ET

Cant drop rochow after last weeks performance. Thought he was our best actually. Didnt realise how big he was too.
Agree, that is easily our strongest pack and would be competitive against just about anyone.

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 22142
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 1:23 pm

Masterton wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 11:42 am
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:48 pm
Nelson wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 8:22 pm
willow wrote:
Tue 13 Mar, 2018 6:36 pm
No surprises with that squad although hopefully Aloiai gets a run. I thought starting with Packer and Eiso worked well, with Matulino and Twal off the bench. I would prefer to go that way for the balance of experience but nothing seems to bother Eiso and Twal so hopefully we don't lose out with that bench rotation.

Pretty sure Chee-Kam has trained exclusively in the backrow this offseason so I can't see Ivan dropping Kev to make way for him in the centres. Hopefully Taane Milne has a red hot crack in ISP this week.

Our biggest challenge this week will be the mental challenge of being "up" for the Storm.
I also prefer the front row combinations from last week but maybe he wants us to go out there and bruise them early this week, try to put them off their game with some intimidation.
Interchange: 11 Boyd Cordner (c), 14 Dylan Napa, 15 Zane Tetevano, 17 Victor Radley - Roosters Bench Round 1

Interchange: 14 Tim Glasby, 15 Kenny Bromwich, 16 Christian Welch, 17 Sam Kasiano - Storm Bench Round 2

In Round 1, we needed to combat the effect of the Rooster's bench otherwise they might've gained a momentum up the middle, hiving more time and space for Teddy, Cronk, Mitchell etc. This could've resulted in Roosters scoring a few quick tries giving the upper hand. However, with Matulino coming on for us - I thought he played great and with lots of aggressive runs and effective tackled. https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/201 ... -the-week/

The Storm bench isn't as strong as the Roosters but they do have 4 forwards compared to our 3 + McIllwrick. The Storm will keep coming at us through the forwards this week, more so than the Roosters. If we don't stop the forwards than we are no chance with the backs that they possess. I would like to see Aloiai in for McIllwrick. McIllwrick isn't going to offer anything from the bench. If we do decide to go with a utility; Gamble would definitely be the best option.
I suspect it's going to a long, long season of people expecting Gamble to be chosen.

(no offence to Gamble or his fans. I just think Ivan might have him a little lower in the pecking order.)
Hear hear. Reminds me of the John Grant hype.

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 2:21 pm

Seantice wrote:
Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:05 am
Cant wait to get ailoia and liddle back and full fitness. I know lawrence wont be dropped but a forward pack of this would be lethal.

8.packer
9. liddle
10. matulino
11. Ailoia
12. rochow
13. ET

Cant drop rochow after last weeks performance. Thought he was our best actually. Didnt realise how big he was too.
Agreed. Rochow certainly made me eat my words.
And don't discount McQueen either... if he can return to form he will be hard to leave out. If that happens we'll have a very strong starting side and very strong bench backing it up.

Anyway, back to this weekend lol

User avatar
Fibros
Member
Member
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon 14 Aug, 2017 6:23 pm

Post by Fibros » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 2:38 pm

TrueTiger wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 9:01 am
Clawdan wrote:
Wed 14 Mar, 2018 8:56 am
I was really hoping with ivans standards
Naiqama would have been dropped, you can guarantee Melbourne will will get points though him.

Ivan has kept Kev in the side....that seems to be Ivans standard....why change a winning team because some supporters dislike Kev in the team...If Ivan who we all respect as a good coach,keeps Kev in the side,then he must have his reasons...
By this way of thinking MCK on the bench and Aloiai in reggies.
We will smash em 50+ get on.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40468
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 2:48 pm

We create a problem if we replace Naiqama with MCK , we lose lateral speed out wide

Playing Melbourne with Vunivalu and JAC out wide lacking lateral movement is a massive risk defensively , remember the Penrith game when Lawrence was moved to centres and we got annihilated out wide

So Cleary has to weigh up this , keep Naiqama and hope he can make the right calls defensively or bring in MCK and hope he doesn't get caught out laterally

Just remember who we are playing , one C Smith

He will be looking at this either way and thinking win / win for the Storm .

For me I take the risk that Kev gets it right , because if Naiqama makes bad calls or Vunivalu or JAC get on our outside we are defensively screwed

Post Reply