What about the penalty count???

happy tiger

Re: What about the penalty count???

Post by happy tiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:36 am

Fraze23 wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 4:56 am
Some of the penalties against us were warranted, but in saying that the same rules didn't apply to Melbourne. They were given an eternity in the ruck and were allowed to wrestle. We weren't givena fair chance and it certainly looked as though they were refereeing to an agenda.

No team is that undisciplined that they give away 18 penalties. Shame on the NRL and the referees. But full credit to our boys who overcame incredible diversity to win that game.

Well done to Ivan Cleary for building a team that we can all be proud of.
Why it is so hard to win away in the one team one town games

We have become the Roosters defensively , we give away penalties because we back our defence and it gives us the time to recover

The question will be can we keep it up for 22 more Rds

underdog

Post by underdog » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:01 pm

18 penalties.

The most penalties by a team to win an NRL game.

Ever.

yeti

Post by yeti » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:04 pm

Unfortunately I never saw the game. However, having read every comment in this post it seems it's pretty much the same old, same old. The teams expected to win are always refereed differently by the officials. I don't know whether it's deliberate or just a subconscious bias by the refs - but it is nearly always the way it rolls.
I do think, however, we got lucky with the decision of Thomson grounding the ball - I've only seen it twice, but it looked to me like he missed that ball. So - not all went against us.

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:34 am
Gaz and Brandy were genuinely pumped for us. Gaz has really surprised me as a commentator.
NRL media is below par except for the game day people on pay tv and this is a poor advertisement for the game.
In a very even comp with many new faces nobody focused on the Warriors off season and others.

Also on the final restart saw a Melbourne player keep our guy off the ball very obvious penalty.
Last edited by Magpie Magic on Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm

underdog wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:01 pm
18 penalties.

Ever.
True?
Is usually us with unwanted records.

Good stuff eh

cqtiger

Post by cqtiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:22 pm

The refs will have nothing to answer for.

If you put the magnifying glass on each Storm penalty they will pass the pub test. However, what doesn’t get scrutinised are the penalties NOT given, as in why the Tigers only got one penalty in the second half.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Magpie Magic

Post by Magpie Magic » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:46 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
underdog wrote:
18 penalties.

Ever.
True?

Good stuff eh
During the mid 80s Wests when they were trying to make us look bad to boot us out conceded similar 3 or 4 times with 1 win.
It shows the magnatitude and the the level the NRL was willing to do it for Slater.

Remember 2 years ago at Leichhardt we had a legitimate penalty try not awarded and lost by a point and then th e game I saw in Melbourne front threw a pass so far forward for a try it got behind Lawrence in the defensive line.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:52 pm

Cut the swearing out please guys.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
underdog wrote:
18 penalties.

Ever.
True?

Good stuff eh
I can vividly remember the Kangaroos winning a game in 86 in France playing against either 23-2 or 25-2 penalty count

Furner said at the time if the provincial side had of scored first they would never had won , that's how bad it was

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:38 pm

slater.jpg
Says it all....
slater.jpg (60.55 KiB) Viewed 280 times

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:39 pm

supercoach wrote:
Sat 17 Mar, 2018 11:41 pm
What about when Munster tripped/back slammed on of our players. I thought that would come under a dangerous tackle or a least not in the spirit of the game
Perfectly legal tackle, it may look bad but there's nothing illegal about it, if there was Alfie Langer would have had to find another sport to play.

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:41 pm

If Storm were penalised 18 times, it would be back page news.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

upthetigers

Post by upthetigers » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 2:07 pm

TIGER wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 1:39 pm
supercoach wrote:
What about when Munster tripped/back slammed on of our players. I thought that would come under a dangerous tackle or a least not in the spirit of the game
Perfectly legal tackle, it may look bad but there's nothing illegal about it, if there was Alfie Langer would have had to find another sport to play.
If tripping is illegal why isn't that play? If it's legal it surprises me that more players don't do it to get players to the ground.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 4:28 pm

TIGER wrote:
supercoach wrote:
It was the post-held component that most people were complaining about. No issue if he does it immediately after contact, but having two players hold him upright to the count of "held", then throw him with double body weight = unnecessary.

They called held because he was stopped with a lifted leg, therefore vulnerable. If a 3rd man had come in in that situation they would have penalised.

It was dangerous and deserved a penalty, even though it wasnt malicious.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 4:29 pm

upthetigers wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 2:07 pm
TIGER wrote:
supercoach wrote:
If tripping is illegal why isn't that play? If it's legal it surprises me that more players don't do it to get players to the ground.
Because tripping is on a running player and that makes it way less dangerous.

It's fairly rare for players to use throws like that, but I dont disagree if it was common you might havw cause to trt and eliminate it.

sideline eye

Post by sideline eye » Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:46 pm

supercoach wrote:
I haven't read all of this thread so this may have already been answered but as far as I know, it isn't a trip if you have your hands on the player being tackled. However, I fully agree that the back slam of Kev was dangerous and uncalled for. I've seen many less dangerous things penalised and this was over the top; plus I really think it would have been a penalty if we had done it.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 1:57 am

sideline eye wrote:
Sun 18 Mar, 2018 11:46 pm
supercoach wrote:
I haven't read all of this thread so this may have already been answered but as far as I know, it isn't a trip if you have your hands on the player being tackled. However, I fully agree that the back slam of Kev was dangerous and uncalled for. I've seen many less dangerous things penalised and this was over the top; plus I really think it would have been a penalty if we had done it.
Basically it is an altered version of Ray Price's Cumberland Throw .......

The rule states that as long as your hands come in contact with the player first and remain on the attacker the whole time you can use the hip/leg to finish the tackle

We did Judo for two years on the direction of the Jets trainer back in the mid 80's (my PE teacher at the time ) , it is a modified version of a hip toss and counteracts the weight difference and strength issues of bigger guys against smaller guys Your basically using the attackers momentum to tackle himself (if that makes sense :? )

I've already taught my young fella how to do it against real big blokes , he can do it off either hip/leg now , the big problem is if you don't keep grip with your arms /hands , it looks pretty ugly then

The other advantage is the attacker is now also on his back and the defender has full control of how quick he gets up , many times if you watch the referees they actually will call that a dominant tackle

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 19 Mar, 2018 6:59 am

Okay I'm watching the replay and going through the 9-1 penalty count.

#1 35:24 to go. Penalty Storm for crowding player so he plays it sideways. Reality check: Storm player tries to play the ball too quickly.

#2 24:50 to go Penalty WT for offside on try line

#3 17:03 Penalty Storm high tackle from Packer. Slips off but fair enough

#4 16:55 Penalty Storm Mat offside from tap. Maybe brushes Smith who goes down Italian soccer/football style. He was offside but it was pretty soft.

[On video ref chat Ref says it will be a penalty if there's no try]

#5 14:02 Penalty Storm for lifting. Tackle almost completed feet lifted up but hardly dangerous

#6 13:05 Penalty Storm for Marshall hand on ball on Smith

#7 10:05 Penalty Storm for working in the tackle? I couldn't understand the officials. Yeah he swung him around but really? It's just as doing that? The most infamous wrestling team in the comp didn't get a single penalty against them?

So the highlights missed 3 of them if anyone has details I'll add them.
Last edited by Yossarian on Mon 19 Mar, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.